Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Fallon and Byrne will not be opening anytime soon.

They may get planning permission, but it will be appealed to an Bord Planeala, after that, a judicial review.
    3 or 4 years of tussling with a certain person, for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Fallon and Byrne will not be opening anytime soon.

They may get planning permission, but it will be appealed to an Bord Planeala, after that, a judicial review.
    3 or 4 years of tussling with a certain person, for what?
    A truce seems to have broken out as he has not made any observations on any recent Dundrum planning and none were made on this one either. - And time is up.

Further information was requested, but its likely it will get approved in next couple of weeks and work can start fairly quickly afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The toys in Hamleys were very nice looking but were very expensive. You get stuff for much cheaper these days I suppose. Although I feel very sorry for the staff members who are losing their jobs. What day will Hamleys close for good at Dundrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The toys in Hamleys were very nice looking but were very expensive. You get stuff for much cheaper these days I suppose. Although I feel very sorry for the staff members who are losing their jobs. What day will Hamleys close for good at Dundrum?

I suppose they couldn't compete with likes of Smyths or even Tesco. I also guess there was of sort of a novelty element of the shop that has since worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hamleys Dundrum is closing down, as is Urban Outfitters, both in next few days. Physical retail outlets are suffering badly.
    I hear Ely is taking the unit after Hamleys.

The unit would be HUGE for an Ely

They also seem to have applied in Maynooth which, while turning in to an eating destination, isn't really winebar country yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Big thread in bargain alerts about Hamleys (meant/allegedly to be 50% off everything), with discussion of other shops etc.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057862239

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The shopping centre owners dont give a sh*t about some tenants closing.
    Its quite clear there are already too many restaurants in DTC, cannabilizing each other.
    If they reduced rents, there would not be this turnover of tenants.
    The Mexican place shut down a few months ago, as did Rock Lobster, and ITSA.
    What about 5 Guys - anyone still queuing for a e15 fastfood experience?
    These are all "outside" the centre, not conducive to Irish punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

L1011 wrote: »
    The unit would be HUGE for an Ely

They also seem to have applied in Maynooth which, while turning in to an eating destination, isn't really winebar country yet.

Not the case. Big area of Moms with disposable income already and there some large estates of big detached family homes coming on stream at either end of the town

Would Ashley be interested in the unit seems like an ideal size for a Sport Direct, might be a bit down market for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its definitely too downscale for that end of the centre anyway. The outdoor units up at the Tesco end would be where they'd want to put something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Any update on the new Lidl in Shankill SC

No word as of yet?

Maybe the Lidl being rebuilt in Fortunestown will have put Shankill to the back of the queue. Do they have one crew or several crews who build their new shops?

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The shopping centre owners dont give a sh*t about some tenants closing.
    Its quite clear there are already too many restaurants in DTC, cannabilizing each other.
    If they reduced rents, there would not be this turnover of tenants.
    The Mexican place shut down a few months ago, as did Rock Lobster, and ITSA.
    What about 5 Guys - anyone still queuing for a e15 fastfood experience?
    These are all "outside" the centre, not conducive to Irish punters.
    The mexican place was really nice, but in a very undiscoverable location. Was sad to see it go.

The Hamley's unit was huge, I wonder if they'll break it into a few smaller units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It's a real pity to hear about Hamley's. It was a paradise for kids at Christmas.

With that said, the toys they sold were a complete rip-off. So, it will be interesting to see what opens up in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a real pity to hear about Hamley's. It was a paradise for kids at Christmas.

With that said, the toys they sold were a complete rip-off. So, it will be interesting to see what opens up in its place.

Browse in Hamleys, buy in Smyths... :)

You may yet see a smaller Hamleys in House of Fraser - same primary shareholder and a few house of Fraser stores have hamleys concessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

But I heard off the IT recently that House of Fraser are in trouble with KPMG being appointed as their receivers. Their store at Dundrum TC is very big and they may be in negotiation with management to possibly reduce the size of their store to reduce their rent overheads or possibly have store closures & job losses in the future.

Debenhams are also in trouble as they encountered some tricky news since it exited examinership 2 years ago. They made a loss of €246,000 before tax from their Irish business. I hope that Debenhams don't close their store at Frascati Shopping Centre in Blackrock as their new centre is due to open in the late autumn. That unit in Frascati stretches to 3 floors, which for an anchor tenant, is fairly big for Frascati's current size. Although it is equally expensive as House of Fraser; I would say Debenhams have a steady stream of customers to come into it's store alike the M&S Supermarket. Debenhams have earmarked 10 of their stores to close in the UK in future. I hope none of the Irish stores will be added to that list because only having 11 stores here is quite small for a British retailer doing business in Ireland.

But I heard off the IT recently that House of Fraser are in trouble with KPMG being appointed as their receivers. Their store at Dundrum TC is very big and they may be in negotiation with management to possibly reduce the size of their store to reduce their rent overheads or possibly have store closures & job losses in the future.

KPMG are advisor on a possible company voluntary arrangement (CVA) - HUGE different between that and receiver and the two should never be confused.

A CVA is usually with landlords and sometimes suppliers are involved and it is mostly done by pre-agreement before the CVA is actually announced.

Companies that are looking at it will usually state they are discussing it weeks before the agreement is announced.

Fujifilm in Stillorgan SC has closed which is a pity as they were always handy for getting passport photos. Also C+D shoes have moved to the unit beside Bookstation as their current unit has been knocked down due to phase 2 of the large renovations works currently taking place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Fujifilm in Stillorgan SC has closed which is a pity as they were always handy for getting passport photos. Also C+D shoes have moved to the unit beside Bookstation as their current unit has been knocked down due to phase 2 of the large renovations works currently taking place there.

Oh that's a shame re fujifilm - still no movement on the old tesco hardware store either by the looks of it, that's been vacant a while now. I wonder has it reduced footfall down that side of the mall e.g. people popping into tesco to get something might have been drawn into natural bakery etc. Hope they fill it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Popped into Maplins today, great sale on there! Then I remembered they're closing down. :(

• Advertisement

Noticed that one of the long closed down units beside Argos in DL had some work going on today. It's was formerly a Labonese Restaurant and the unit has been empty for a long time. It will be interesting to see what is going in there since the unit has been vacant for so long.

Also Aldo's in Cornelscourt is meant to be closing tonight. It is meant to be reopening under new management in due course according to a local area Facebook page.

Fujifilm in Stillorgan SC has closed which is a pity as they were always handy for getting passport photos.
    Rent probably getting too high for a falling market or owner has retired (all are franchises) Though its interesting to note that Ryans Fuji centre in Liffey Valley is the longest operating unit there having been one of the first stores to open. Nice also that they have been relatively fair to him on rents.

Also Aldo's in Cornelscourt is meant to be closing tonight. It is meant to be reopening under new management in due course according to a local area Facebook page.

I heard romayos were planning a unit in cabinteely. Possibly connected, so little change in style.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I heard romayos were planning a unit in cabinteely. Possibly connected, so little change in style.

Gosh a lot of the Italian family run chippers are being replaced by the likes of Romayo's and San Marino. For example Mario's in Monkstown was replaced by San Marino recently. They must be selling up while the going is good.

Gosh a lot of the Italian family run chippers are being replaced by the likes of Romayo's and San Marino. For example Mario's in Monkstown was replaced by San Marino recently. They must be selling up while the going is good.

Some are rebranding within the same family and retirements by the original operators. Romayos = macari clan.

Some are rebranding within the same family and retirements by the original operators. Romayos = macari clan.

Yeah I figured that as the likes of Romayo's seems to be some kind a franchise or partnership. Musgraves also have a chipper franchise aswell now called Chipmongers similar model to Centra or Spar but for chippers. I guess it has its advantages over remaining independent especially as many are within the the same family Macari's, Fusco's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Romayos = macari clan.

Yes, Romayos owner is Dario Macari. There are lots of Macari chippers but they can be owned by different people so not really a chain. At first he called it D. Macaris to try and establish a chain with a distinct name. But later went with Romayos, which was a wise move.

I think there are more Romayos in Dublin than supermacs.

I have seen a very large Romayo truck going about and you would imagine it is good to be able to buy in bulk and delivery around, just like McDonalds or supermacs would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fran was sound as hell in there. I didn't go much, but he recognized me and was happy to chat. I remember talking to him once, and he was very honest about buying at the wrong time.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, Romayos owner is Dario Macari. There are lots of Macari chippers but they can be owned by different people so not really a chain. At first he called it D. Macaris to try and establish a chain with a distinct name. But later went with Romayos, which was a wise move.

I think there are more Romayos in Dublin than supermacs.

I have seen a very large Romayo truck going about and you would imagine it is good to be able to buy in bulk and delivery around, just like McDonalds or supermacs would.

Correct - not a chain, but it is a "Clan". Same family - brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts etc. All different businesses, but most are connected through family. - And a very decent family clan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would Ashley be interested in the unit seems like an ideal size for a Sport Direct, might be a bit down market for it though.
    Speaking of which. Opening in Carrickmines!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/shopping/sports-direct-usc-mega-store-14636176?utm_source=google_news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Chinasea wrote: »
    New restaurant opened in Monkstown. La Plancha. Upove Spar on the crescent. Looked busy. Steaks, surf&turf and all that sorta thing.

Free chicken wings on Mondays for the month of October. Best a luck.

Spotted sign up over the Spar today:
    "To Let - 1st floor restaurant"

Is that Le Planche gone or is there another premises up there? Website seems a little out of date, Mother's Day ad (March) is still up

Advertisement