Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hillybillys Fried Chicken is opening a restaurant in Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Interesting! KFC tried and failed with their branch in Rathmines (which I believe is now a ubiquitous Starbucks) so I hope this does better.  Hillbillys is very popular in Munster (practically an institution in Cork!) and way tastier than KFC imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres been two other , possibly 3, short lived fast food restaurants at that exact spot in rathmines. Wouldn't inspire much faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Strong rumours that Bono has bought the vacant Tramyard site in Dalkey and is going to build a recording studio, music museum and cafe there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Northsider blow-in, the Dalkeyites will be up in arms over that! :pac:

• Advertisement

jpfahy wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Bono has bought the vacant Tramyard site in Dalkey and is going to build a recording studio, music museum and cafe there.

There was a planned museum in the docklands, is that cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Costa Coffee at the front of the Odeon Cinema Stillorgan has vanished.

Costa Coffee at the front of the Odeon Cinema Stillorgan has vanished.

That's a pity always handy to be able to bring a tea or coffee into a movie there mind you I have stopped going to that cinema after a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

That's a pity always handy to be able to bring a tea or coffee into a movie there mind you I have stopped going to that cinema after a bad experience.

Lol, I assume that was satire considering the fact you are not allowed bring in outside beverages, when we used to go to the cinema in Dun Laoghaire as young lads we used to have to sneak them in.

Saying that I haven't been to a cinema in about a decade meself.

tomofson wrote: »
    Lol, I assume that was satire considering the fact you are not allowed bring in outside beverages, when we used to go to the cinema in Dun Laoghaire as young lads we used to have to sneak them in.

I don't think any cinemas in Ireland mind but I wouldn't say they'd allow hot drinks in. I always do it myself every time and no one's ever said anything.

• Advertisement

I don't think any cinemas in Ireland mind but I wouldn't say they'd allow hot drinks in. I always do it myself every time and no one's ever said anything.

Years ago in Dun Laoghaire cinema they made us eat our sweets outside or throw them in the bin, we made sure we kept them well hidden after that.

I can only imagine trying to walk in with a fluffy cappuccino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres been two other , possibly 3, short lived fast food restaurants at that exact spot in rathmines. Wouldn't inspire much faith

What spot is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

tomofson wrote: »

The Costa cafe in question here was in a shared space with the cinema itself. So bringing in a coffee to a screen was never an issue - it wasn't an "outside beverage".

The Costa cafe in question here was in a shared space with the cinema itself. So bringing in a coffee to a screen was never an issue - it wasn't an "outside beverage".

Oh sorry, I thought he said it was "beside" meaning a different building.

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

always wanted to try them, looking online I was disappointed to see they are serving crappy frozen chips. I thought it was more of a chipper place.

Also infuriates me yet again to see no menu with prices! What in the name of fcuk is wrong with these places. They have facebook & instagram pages, have all these competitions made with fancy artwork and signs, yet cannot post up even a bloody photo of the menu. Morons.

I always think they must have something to hide, i.e. are a rip off, but I don't think this place is, making it all the worse.

Someone posted pics on zomato but its just meal deals, and no idea if they are still current.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Franchises rarely put prices on their website due to the variability of pricing per franchise. Even McDonalds don't advertise prices bar Eurosaver and the coupons - and the coupons are usually limited to individual franchise groups or the master franchiser stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

jpfahy wrote: »

Where did you hear this rumor?

I have mixed views of it. However, it sounds (no pun intended) like it could be cool. A very random idea for Dalkey!

L1011 wrote: »
    Franchises rarely put prices on their website due to the variability of pricing per franchise. Even McDonalds don't advertise prices bar Eurosaver

I know prices can vary, and that it is certainly not a good reason not to have them, unless its is some idiotic policy. Like do they really thing somebody is going to get upset that their chicken costs 10cent more in a VERY high rent area vs a very cheap area, and boycott the place. I wonder if Hillbillies prices do differ.

You will see places with individual facebook pages, like Romayos have a main page, and some individual branch ones (even though their menu prices are the same), or Subway oulets have their own page, which can have their own deals. I could never understand McDs are so secretive about their pricing either, as I have not noticed differences, the airport might be an odd one out possibly not having the eurosaver at times.

I think some BKs off the motorway can be a bit dearer, not certain, but its not like its something they can keep under wraps.

It is a simple photo, doesn't have to be fancy. I resort to taking my photos myself in someplaces as often all the menu is not in the paper or online menus.

Would having different prices displayed online compared to in-store not fall under false advertising

Would having different prices displayed online compared to in-store not fall under false advertising
    there are already loads of outdated menus on facebook, not taken down. Wetherspoons have loads of photos of old price boards still up.

Maybe technically they could, if some utter prize prick went after a small chipper/takeaway, never heard of it happening though. I think it has to be properly deliberate, what I am describing would not be.

If they did vary they could put up a photo and say what branch it is, or like other places have separate facebook pages for separate branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No because you're not buying it online. At worst it's just poor customer relations.

No because you're not buying it online. At worst it's just poor customer relations.

Yes but the prices would be false. It would be like Tesco advertising prices in a newspaper which are actually higher in the shop I would imagine but yes it would be poor customer relations above all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yes but the prices would be false. It would be like Tesco advertising prices in a newspaper which are actually higher in the shop I would imagine but yes it would be poor customer relations above all.

Well they say or imply the prices are in store and once you are in store the prices are simply an invitation to treat unfortunately.

So yes technically it is 'false' advertising but not in the legal sense.

It's very shoddy though, I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

A 'health' food choppedesque place closed in Blackrock. I feel Chopped is a rip off and I personally wouldn't be buying salads for 12 eurobut I can see how it works well, the place in Blackrock just didn't have that polish Chopped has. Chopped with their bells and whistles are able to hide the fact that at the end of the day you're just being served a massive bowl of spinach and greens.
    The whole thing about people having notions seems to really become a thing to be laughed at in Ireland, sometimes over the most normal things but it's these 'notions' that has people flocking to Chopped, not a love of big massive bowls of green leaves.

Speaking of which ,chopped rathmines closed down a while ago. Cant remember when exactly, but I was surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shakeitoff wrote: »
    A 'health' food choppedesque place closed in Blackrock. I feel Chopped is a rip off and I personally wouldn't be buying salads for 12 eurobut I can see how it works well, the place in Blackrock just didn't have that polish Chopped has. Chopped with their bells and whistles are able to hide the fact that at the end of the day you're just being served a massive bowl of spinach and greens.
    The whole thing about people having notions seems to really become a thing in Ireland but it's these 'notions' that has people flocking to Chopped, not a love of big massive bowls of green leaves.

which 12 euro salad is this now?

They're about 8 or 9 euro aren't they? Still a complete rip though
    I really think they are popular just because theres nearly no other healthy takeaway options in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I really think they are popular just because theres nearly no other healthy takeaway options in dublin

6.50 - 7.50 normally i go most days,

maybe its a rip off but at least its a healthy one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A bag of mixed leaves for a Euro or two insny supermarket is a good alternative to take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Cyrus wrote: »
    which 12 euro salad is this now?

I think my friend doubles up on something that causes the price to go up over 10.

Advertisement