Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

jpfahy wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Bono has bought the vacant Tramyard site in Dalkey and is going to build a recording studio, music museum and cafe there.
    After months, nay years, of speculation about the fate of the prominent Tramyard site off Dalkey’s main street The Block can finally confirm that yes, it has sold, and no, Bono is not the buyer.

For weeks the rumour mill has been rife with breathless speculation that the U2 frontman, who lives locally, has picked up the half acre site and plans to set about building a recording studio and open a café there. (Rumours have only just fallen short of sightings of Bono in a hardhat and hi vis jacket ordering a breakfast roll in the local Spar.)

The truth of course is likely to be far more mundane, though Bono’s loss will be someone else’s gain. It turns out that the eclectic site sold in the last month to a developer for a sum believed to be a little shy of € 3 million.

The 0.58 acre site comprises four tram sheds on the old tramline in the heart of downtown Dalkey, and until only recently operated as a food, antiques and bric-a-brac market.

In 2007 developers James Monaghan and Rodney Sheils were granted planning permission to demolish the old buildings and build 20 apartments with retail space at ground level. It was a controversial decision that met with strong resistance from local residents and An Taisce.

Events overtook the developers as the site became a casualty of the recession and in 2016 the site was placed on the market with CBRE for €2m on the instruction of receivers Deloitte. Later that year The Tramyard Café, located on the site and operated by David Coulson, was forced to close its doors on fire safety grounds on the eve of a Dalkey Lobster Festival, organised by Coulson. Soon after, the Tramyard Café closed its doors for good, and later the site was withdrawn from the market.

Earlier this year Peter Garrigan of CBRE relaunched the Tramyard for sale with an increased price tag of €2.7million. While the prominent site has been most recently zoned a “neighbourhood centre” this still allows for a mix of low rise residential and retail units. With a lot of clearance activity and an engineers’ office now on site, all the indicators suggest that the developer – believed to be a mid-sized player – will apply to reinstate the recently lapsed planning for a mix of 20 or so apartments with retail at ground level.

Meanwhile spokespeople for Bono this week would not confirm or deny any link between the musician and the site.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/dalkey-tramyard-finds-a-buyer-and-it-isn-t-bono-1.3537566

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

The Rickshaw Chinese restaurant in Deansgrange is up for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

frash wrote: »
    The Rickshaw Chinese restaurant in Deansgrange is up for sale

I remember soon after they opened I called in early one evening and asked for their take-away menu. 'We don't do take-away' was the snooty reply.

A few months later they dropped a take-away menu through my letterbox.

The premises is an old schoolhouse and used to be the Eastern Tandoori Indian restaurant, there was a sister restaurant of the same name in town near the Westbury Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

tomofson wrote: »
    Yes that place used to be called "king tuts" way back in the day, thats when it was actually nice, it was sold to new owners and went downhill fairly quick unfortunately. It changed color from golden (I think) to red.

When it changed colors thats when it really started getting bad, I'm surprised it actually stayed open for as long as it did while sporting the red color. I think it closed down around 2010/2011.

Opening in the coming days I believe as a Japanese noddle place called Soup Ramen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the Europa chipper which has been closed a while, is opening soon (no date) as the Express chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

the Europa chipper which has been closed a while, is opening soon (no date) as the Express chipper

Is that the one in Fintan's Park?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

frash wrote: »
    Is that the one in Fintan's Park?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Opening in the coming days I believe as a Japanese noddle place called Soup Ramen.

Cool, makes a change, its been vacant for too many years now.

Another place that used to be nice then went really bad all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

Another place that used to be nice then went really bad all of a sudden.

Pretty much every night i was in bakers i ended up there, it used to be packed and then yeah it just turned bad quickly. I think Liberos stole a lot of their business and they're not in a great area, unless you know its there you wont stumble upon it

Speaking of chippers after Romayos took over Aldo's in Cornelsccourt a few weeks ago the place is now closed again for renovations. If appears they are gutting the place and completely re doing it I don't get why they opened for a while and then closed it again so soon after buying it why didn't they start as soon as they bought it.

Pretty much every night i was in bakers i ended up there, it used to be packed and then yeah it just turned bad quickly. I think Liberos stole a lot of their business and they're not in a great area, unless you know its there you wont stumble upon it

It was a bit off the beaten track all right. They didn't advertise their business a lot either it would have only really been locals that knew the place so not much passing trade compared to other chippers in the area like Liberos or Mario's now San Marino in The Farm.

Liberos has to be the worse chipper in the district.

And dont even get me started on the attitude.

Never had an issue, but have really only started using the last 3 years as im now on the same road, before that it was europa and old old marios beside beside oriental express

Never had an issue, but have really only started using the last 3 years as im now on the same road, before that it was europa and old old marios beside beside oriental express

Yeah I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe the attitude and food has changed for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

We used them a fair bit for years. It's run by one of the Aprile family afaik and I always found him and staff decent. Which chippers do you prefer and why?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    We used them a fair bit for years. It's run by one of the Aprile family afaik and I always found him and staff decent. Which chippers do you prefer and why?

I don't really use chippers as much these days, but my favourite would have to be the ritz in Dun Laoghaire.

Macaris in Deansgrange near the cemetery used to be okay too. It is closed down now a couple of years.

Europa had its periods where it was nice, then was just okay and then it turned fairly poo.

Favourite Chinese I would have to say at one time it was the golden elephant in Dun Laoghaire but just like most fast food places around here that has also went to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Sisi (Central Cafe) in Blackrock Village is excellent

I heard a rumor the other day about a hooters opening in Dun Laoghaire, saying that I am fairly certain it is just a rumor.

And I haven't got anything form the sisi cafe in blackrock in well over a decade, I can remember sitting in there when the side building was not an italian restaurant but was still part of the chipper.

I wouldn't it was ever excellent though, probably about mediocre as far as chippers go.

• Advertisement

I heard a rumor the other day about a hooters opening in Dun Laoghaire, saying that I am fairly certain it is just a rumor.

I saw that on the Dun Laoghaire fb page a while back but I'm fairly sure it was a joke not even a rumour.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I saw that on the Dun Laoghaire fb page a while back but I'm fairly sure it was a joke not even a rumour.

Yeah, it seems someone I know took it serious.

Anyone thinking about ordering from Kyoto asian street food in Dun Laoghaire may want to give it a miss, very moody attitude from the delivery driver, the food is mank and to top it all off they left me an item short.

Sorry just needed to get that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Local resident objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Curtain & Gift Traders Shop in Newtownpark Avenue is currently closed for renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Local resident objects.

Same one as always! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In fairness, Dundrum Town Centre is a behemoth located in a quiet residential suburb. It causes traffic chaos for the surrounding areas and a parking nightmare. I would be objecting in their position too.

• Advertisement

One thing that bemuses me about Dundrum as a whole is how it was managed to be built in the first place and the whole plan wasn't shot down by NIMBYs considering its in an affluent area of South Dublin

Advertisement