Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    One thing that bemuses me about Dundrum as a whole is how it was managed to be built in the first place and the whole plan wasn't shot down by NIMBYs considering its in an affluent area of South Dublin

it wasnt really that affluent an area, the centre appears to have elevated it somewhat and the luas.

im not saying it wasnt a good area but its desirability had increased a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One thing that bemuses me about Dundrum as a whole is how it was managed to be built in the first place and the whole plan wasn't shot down by NIMBYs considering its in an affluent area of South Dublin
    There’s wasn’t much beyond crazy prices , the pie centre was run down and the bowling allley was closed

All the surrounding apartments were just fields. The M50 finished at Tallaght.

It’s nothing like it is today. Not many NIMBYs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ted1 wrote: »
    There’s wasn’t much beyond crazy prices , the pie centre was run down and the bowling allley was closed

Ah here Abe Simpson, how far back are you going? Wasn't much beyond Crazy Prices? Ballaly, Clonard, Ludford, in fact all of Ballinteer has been there for pushing on 50 years at this stage.

Sure they built houses for returning WW1 soldiers and sailors in Ballinteer.

But yeah, fields...

Tabnabs wrote: »

Ah here Abe Simpson, how far back are you going? Wasn't much beyond Crazy Prices? Ballaly, Clonard, Ludford, in fact all of Ballinteer has been there for pushing on 50 years at this stage.

But yeah, fields...
    The road by Wesley was a narrow country road that went up the mountains

The LUAS was an over grown abandoned train line
    Sandyford was an industrial estate rockfield was fields as was Gort Mhuire , ballintyre etc. Houses only had 1 car, seriously things were very different,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Tabnabs wrote: »

But yeah, fields...
    It wasn't that long ago that you could buy a house for £29950 in Dundrum/Taney - I still have the advertising scripts from the adverts. 1986.

The area between the Sandyford road and ballinteer road was all fields. Delbrook/college park (orig price starting £59950) were almost rural :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

CeilingFly wrote: »
    It wasn't that long ago that you could buy a house for £29950 in Dundrum/Taney - I still have the advertising scripts from the adverts. 1986.

32 years ago. 32.

32 years before that was 1954. The 50's to 80's was a big time difference in the same way that 80's to 2010's is too.
    he area between the Sandyford road and ballinteer road was all fields. Delbrook/college park (orig price starting £59950) were almost rural

Funny that when I cycled between Ballinteer and Sandyford in the 80s it was through parks and housing estates that were mature by that stage. Reilly's farm is gone many, many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Union Cafe (2) opening in Beacon South Quarter in Sandyford in September.

The road by Wesley was a narrow country road that went up the mountains

The LUAS was an over grown abandoned train line
    Sandyford was an industrial estate rockfield was fields as was Gort Mhuire , ballintyre etc. Houses only had 1 car, seriously things were very different,

I admire your highly selective memory. Ballintyre was all fields! But Woodpark, Broadford and Pinevalley, literally everything around it is approaching 50 years since it was built. Gort Mhuire was a vast nothingness But Parkvale, Wykham, Lynwood are all mature estates also a long time in existence. The old train line ran through a long and uninterrupted commuter belt, not West Clare. I also remember a stud farm in Kilmacud in the 90s, you'd hardly call that wilderness?!

I grew up in the areas you are talking about, so yeah, "seriously things were very different".

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Union Cafe (2) opening in Beacon South Quarter in Sandyford in September.

Is this Union cafe from Mount Merrion moving to a new site before construction starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

bricky06 wrote: »
    Is this Union cafe from Mount Merrion moving to a new site before construction starts?

Union Cafe is just owned by McKillen or whatever that group is that owns basically everything in town. Weird that they're keeping that brand when in the past they've established new brands each time.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Union Cafe is just owned by McKillen or whatever that group is that owns basically everything in town. Weird that they're keeping that brand when in the past they've established new brands each time.

They plan to grow the Union Cafe brand into a chain - another one opening in Churchtown beside Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, the PressUp group who seem to own every second pub or club in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Energie Fitness clubs opening in DL noticed it today down in the abandoned end as I like to call it on York Road.

Energie Fitness clubs opening in DL noticed it today down in the abandoned end as I like to call it on York Road.

I was looking for it the other day, where is it?

Aegir wrote: »
    I was looking for it the other day, where is it?

It's at the lower end of York Road on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

It's at the lower end of York Road on the left

Thats what they are doing with the old chalk factory.

It has been out of use for years, glad something is being done with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It looks like Aldo's/Romayos has been gutted again, was going past at the weekend and there was a full skip outside with whitewashed windows

It looks like Aldo's/Romayos has been gutted again, was going past at the weekend and there was a full skip outside with whitewashed windows

Yes they are revamping it. They're only gutting it now. It appears they are making into a sit in chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Work going on at the old Mario and sons at the post office end of Monkstown farm

They will be fought tooth and nail by the guy trading / living beside it.
    Do a websearch and see what I mean.
    He has a history of court actions with the centre owners.
    There is nothing worse than a plaintiff with nothing to lose.
    It will add years to the planning process. I cant see this development going ahead.

Fully approved and development can commence :)

https://fora.ie/fallon-and-byrne-dundrum-4126150-Jul2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Seems Roly Saul in Dundrum Has Closed,

Another of his Restaurants Closes the Door,

Official Men in Suits Today....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Fully approved and development can commence :)

https://fora.ie/fallon-and-byrne-dundrum-4126150-Jul2018/

It will appealed to ABP

It will appealed to ABP

Nope, they tried that and failed (ruled as invalid). Permission is fully granted as appeal time has now lapsed (19th July) and the appeals process is over and work is commencing imminently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Judicial review is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty sure that isn't possible if you didn't make a valid appeal. It's also phenomenally expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Found this in house recently

January 30th, 1992

W2wXS1J.jpg

woejus wrote: »

Found this in house recently

January 30th, 1992

W2wXS1J.jpg
    Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Am I missing something ?

Nothing to miss, just thought it would be of interest. Here's another one from same paper saying the motorway was going to make prices go through the roof.

6TBLPzo.jpg

I know it's not exactly breaking news but I hear House of Fraser could be going into administration. Unless a suitable buyer is found which would likely be either Mike Ashley or Edinburgh Woollen Mills the Chinese company which owns Hamleys recently pulled out

If there some kind of survival plan drawn up I could see Dundrum being one of the shops closing down as if the business wants to scale down they would usually close their overseas operations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/house-of-fraser-survival-in-doubt-as-rescue-plan-falls-apart-1.3583522

• Advertisement

House of Fraser Dundrum is a separate legal entity and is not affected by the current HOF issues.

Though if the entire HOF group went into administration / closed down, there would be an affect.

It is unlikely though as Mr Sports Direct has the funds and will swoop if permitted.

Advertisement