Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know it's not exactly breaking news but I hear House of Fraser could be going into administration. Unless a suitable buyer is found which would likely be either Mike Ashley or Edinburgh Woollen Mills the Chinese company which owns Hamleys recently pulled out

If there some kind of survival plan drawn up I could see Dundrum being one of the shops closing down as if the business wants to scale down they would usually close their overseas operations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/house-of-fraser-survival-in-doubt-as-rescue-plan-falls-apart-1.3583522
    Dundrum is ran as a separate company snd is quite profitable, it’s not going anywhere

I can’t see sportsdirect guy buying it. He generally sticks to cheap tacky stores and brands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I hope all the moaners who blame parking charges in Dun Laoghaire start to realise that the downturn in shopping is moreso attributed to online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Chinasea wrote: »
    I hope all the moaners who blame parking charges in Dun Laoghaire start to realise that the downturn in shopping is moreso attributed to online purchases.

Huh?
    Better turn off the Internet so, it might encourage a few more folk back to Dun Laoighre to pay exorbitant parking charges to walk around all the card shops, charity shops and look at the the empty stores interspersed in between. You can't spend money in shops that don't exist, besides, every town around the world also has to compete with online shopping. However, the majority don't have the benefit of the greatest minds of DLR coco looking for exciting new ways to jack up prices and limit parking/access.

Actually, I take that back. DLR are offering free parking this June Bank Holiday Monday (6th August) according to: this

DLRCOCO are not offering free parking this bank holiday , it’sin the bye laws that parking is free every bank holiday ( probably to do with the fact that enforcement staff would be in double time )
    Page 15, paragraph 11 http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/parking_control_bye_laws_2007_-_english.pdf

Blaming online shopping is disingenuous as other areas aren’t suffering to the same extent. Indeed Biry Blackrock shopping centres are getting upgraded , as is stillorgan shopping centre which is positively booming there’s rarely ever spaces there

Read the article in post #3301 above which outlines the reasons as to the demise of House of Fraser's demise. Nothing to do with parking whatsoever.

Regards Dun Laoghaire's shops;
    I feel very lucky that I can browse through Charity Shops. I can sip coffee in a fabulous Coffee shop that donates some of its proceeds to leprosy. I can buy fresh turmeric in the Philiopino shop.

What about the Gourmet market shop in the middle of Dun Laoghaire. What a lovely diverse unique shop that is that enhances our high street. Look at the fabulous Polish tailors shop beside Penneys.

Wake up moaners.

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    Read the article in post #3301 above which outlines the reasons as to the demise of House of Fraser's demise. Nothing to do with parking whatsoever.

Regards Dun Laoghaire's shops;
    I feel very lucky that I can browse through Charity Shops. I can sip coffee in a fabulous Coffee shop that donates some of its proceeds to leprosy. I can buy fresh turmeric in the Philiopino shop.

What about the Gourmet market shop in the middle of Dun Laoghaire. What a lovely diverse unique shop that is that enhances our high street. Look at the fabulous Polish tailors shop beside Penneys.

Wake up moaners.

You are just changing your point.

Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ted1 wrote: »
    Blaming online shopping is disingenuous as other areas aren’t suffering to the same extent. Indeed Biry Blackrock shopping centres are getting upgraded , as is stillorgan shopping centre which is positively booming there’s rarely ever spaces there

A couple of quid for parking is not an issue for 95% of people. Online shopping is a serious issue for shops.

My own experience is that our retail stores are down about 15% on 3 years ago, but our online business is hugely up and is now the main part of our business and we plan on not renewing a lease on one unit next year as all the concentration is online.

There's still plenty of retail that cannot go online, so shops will always be needed, but the day of new multi brand department stores is gone. Physical retail now has to offer an experience - some of the sports shops such as JD and Lifestyle are examples where the instore experience is entertainment itself

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The biggest issue with Dun Laoghaire is there's nothing in it if we are honest.

We go regularly to the market on Sundays, but we never walk around the shops in the town. There is nothing of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

awec wrote: »
    The biggest issue with Dun Laoghaire is there's nothing in it if we are honest.

We go regularly to the market on Sundays, but we never walk around the shops in the town. There is nothing of interest.

From around 2000 to 2010ish there was loads of interesting shops and stuff around Dun Laoghaire, I think people got older and a lot of people moved out so these shops went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

tomofson wrote: »
    From around 2000 to 2010ish there was loads of interesting shops and stuff around Dun Laoghaire, I think people got older and a lot of people moved out so these shops went.

Dún Laoghaire has the pier and the market on Sunday’s the rest is to be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Cyrus wrote: »

Teddies, Argos, Cinema, Pennies, the Pier.

The only things that draw me to DL.

Cyrus wrote: »

Its my hometown and it hurts to see it go to the dogs :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's like two towns really. The sea front and park, and then the main street and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It should be booming it’s bizarre especially given the amazing job they have done on 20 percent of it

My wife turns 40 next year and grew up in”the Borough”. She always corrects me when I say Dun Laoghaire is going down hill. She can’t remember a time it was ever “up the hill “.

Aegir wrote: »
    My wife turns 40 next year and grew up in”the Borough”. She always corrects me when I say Dun Laoghaire is going down hill. She can’t remember a time it was ever “up the hill “.

I was only a kid in the late 90s and early 00's but I can remember it was thriving back then, always busy and had some interesting shops in the town.

Not no more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Saw this article on a local FB page maybe now something be done. I wonder are Dunnes doing something similar to Tesco and many of the UK supermarkets and opening up smaller stores. Dunnes Express perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I grew up in Dun Laoghaire, am in my mid-40s and now after time away have my office at the back of the town. That gives me a decent perspective on some of the changes that have happened over the years, quite apart from my work in town planning consultancy. I think some of the simplistic comment you see on here and on a couple of Facebook groups are just that, simplistic. If you want a bit of an explanation as to why the town is where it is, consider the following...

- The retail heart has moved away from Dun Laoghaire, no denying that, but it is not because of parking charges or business rates. Really you say?

When I was a kid, DL was the supermarket and fresh food destination for 5 miles around, in a time when money was very tight and options limited. It was the focus of many bus routes when the DART was only catching on. On weekdays it was busy, on weekends it was black. Parents (mainly women working in the home, without a second car) brought their kids to Dominican Primary and Secondary schools, to CBS Eblana Ave and to Pres brothers in Glasthule and the Senior Colleges (Techs). Most days they would spend a few pence in the town and that meant footfall. They got uniforms and school supplies every summer and Christmas was well catered for, so seasonal trade was in rude health. In turn, the cafés and draperies were busy and that meant numbers of staff in the area with their own money to spend around the place.

These days, that custom is gone because all the schools bar Dominican primary is gone. Ironically Bloomfields centre rose where Domican secondary was demolished. A daft equation in many ways. Of course at the same time, house prices crept up and the population aged hugely. Online is the new place for school supplies, along with many other products too.

In my opinion, the Councillors of old Dun Laoghaire borough and subsequent DLR Dun Laoghaire ward were always massively conservative and hesitant, so when opportunities came, they were snapped up by Dundrum, Sandyford and the like. Along with the M50 opening up the wider suburbs, this further bled away that customer with the disposable income. At the same time, the ferries left, largely because of traffic access limitations.

Retail rents did not move with the times in DL, mainly because so much of the main street and shopping centre, property is owned by a few large entities and pension funds (including Dunnes and Coltard) who could afford to sit of these properties as appreciating assets. Im not sure many local people recognise that factor.

As for parking charges, you always hear the drum being banged by the few local interests of it killing the town, but the fact is the very same regime exists in the busy Dalkey and Blackrock, but in Dun Laoghaire's case it was actually demanded by many local businesses and residents who on weekdays simply couldnt source parking at their homes or for their customers as every street became the DART carpark. Now, at least, residents are returning to the town centre in new build apartments and larger houses in places like Adelaide Street and Clarinda Park where former office conversions and flats are returning to single large dwellings. This is a good thing for the life blood of the town.

Apart from that, I know of many small IT driven companies moving into nooks and crannies around the town having being priced out of the mental City Centre scene. Also too, the Harbour Innovation Campus has been just been approved for the old HSS terminal, driven by guys who know the sector and with a DART and bus hub on their doorsteps. 1,000 new jobs there is not a fanciful target with the City short on space and high on price.

The one big nut to crack is the rental cost of retail properties (and personally Id demolish the shopping centre and put 500 mixed apartments there 2 mins from the DART with light retail at street level to add to the 24 hour life of the town).

The world is changing fast, Dun Laoghaire has been left somewhat behind, but in my experience its far from dead and it has massive positives to propel it into a new existence of next generation residents, business food and services, co-ordinated by sensible and practical planning and community input.

The tools are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont know how much of DL problems are due to parking costs but it should be an easy one to take off the agenda. Validated parking... you spend X in a local shop, have a meal etc your parking is free.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I dont know how much of DL problems are due to parking costs but it should be an easy one to take off the agenda. Validated parking... you spend X in a local shop, have a meal etc your parking is free.

Tesco Bloomfields does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I live at the edge of the old borough of DL so go to DL a lot by car. Several times a day in some cases. It would be unusual to go 2-3 days without going there. I love Dun Laoghaire.

This has been my pattern for 20 years or more. I think the early part of the 20 year period was before the parking charges. It was a pain back then at busy times as the parking spaces were all taken early and you could go round over and over trying to get a space.

I just did a quick look at my parking tag account basically I spend €12 per month on parking. I know some people don't have €12 a month but thankfully most do. I am sure they could implement the continental system with the clock on the windscreen to allow you a free half hour and I am sure it would help but I really don't think parking charges are the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I wouldn't blame it on parking at all (even if it was free, where would you park? It's not the 90s, residents take up all parking spaces these days). What seems to have happened is that DL shopping still reflects the times when men would work and women shop during the day, as they would either stay at home or have only local/part time work.

These days with everyone working there is no way to develop a habit of shopping in Dun Laoghaire; by the time you're coming home everything is closed or closing. Saturday is busy with traffic, and most shops are closed on Sunday. You're not going to wait until Saturday anyway, you're going to choose Carrickmines, Dundrum or get it online if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was in DL on the day before Christmas Eve just gone now you'd think the place would hopping on with people doing last minute Christmas as it was the last full shopping day before Christmas and it was a Saturday but it wasn't that much more busy than your average weekend.

I think the problem with Dun Laoghaire is the lack of selection of decent shops. Nearly the shops that are in Dun Laoghaire can be found in Stillorgan which is easier to get to for most people in SCD and not just down to parking charges but also due to traffic, distance and ease of parking as at least Stillorgan SC has the excess car park.

I think for DL to succeed the shopping centre needs to be demolished and rebuilt. It is a horrible building externally and despite the modernisation it is still dark and dreary on the inside, this makes it unattractive for both shoppers and potential tenants. The kind of shops the centre needs would be a large department store such as M+S, a good Dunnes with food and drapery, a large Penneys similar to Liffey Valley or a Zara or H+M type shop to anchor it. It also do with food outlets and a JD Sports to attract a younger clientele.

A new larger shopping centre perhaps the size could be similar to something like Whitewater in Newbridge it would be a lot nicer and would draw a lot more crowds for the DL than what's currently there it would also make DL somewhat competitive with Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know it's probably something of a clichè but until I became the owner of a business in a commercial/retail unit in Dun Laoghaire town I really didn't grasp how much the council are to blame for the failure of the town.

The massive cost of rates is just the tip of the iceberg. There are loads of extra hidden charges and bills heaped on shops all the time, coupled with an almost unbelievable intransigence and lack of creative thinking , flexibility or innovation.

As a shop/business owner it is no exaggeration to say that at times it honestly seems as if DLRCC is doing its best to put you out of business. And (at least in my case and others I know) it eventually worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Personally I think the heart of Dun Laoghaire has simply moved down to the waterfront, by the library,whetherpoons area, the pier and I dont think thats such a bad thing, the restored baths will also solidify this movement even further. The main street is a bit dead though, I think that big ignorant hulking behemoth that is the DLR shopping centre is acting as a kind of dead zone barrier between the old town bit and the waterfront area, it needs to be nuked ASAP, how in gods name was it ever built, it is excessive in scale in the extreme, I guarantee you if it was replaced with some nice high density mixed use apartments with some ground floor retail the town would breathe a collective sigh of relief and be all the better for it

Maybe even rebuild the nice victorian buildings that ugly crap replaced, would help the image of the town as a historic victorian seaside location to visit

I was just looking online and this is what the whetherspoons building thing used to look like,a real pity I think, the town would look infinitely better today if it hadnt been replaced
    0280.jpg?w=640
    Same view today
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.294449,-6.1337408,3a,90y,172.38h,84.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGBCGPLr8tzL_kUFQJ_RZMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    Its actually tragic how **** 20th C architecture was and how many of the worlds beautiful cities and towns it absolutely destroyed, just adds insult to injury that the beautiful church on marine road burnt down as well

wakka12 wrote: »
    Personally I think the heart of Dun Laoghaire has simply moved down to the waterfront, by the library,whetherpoons area, the pier and I dont think thats such a bad thing, the restored baths will also solidify this movement even further. The main street is a bit dead though, I think that big ignorant hulking behemoth that is the DLR shopping centre is acting as a kind of dead zone barrier between the old town bit and the waterfront area, it needs to be nuked ASAP, how in gods name was it ever built, it is excessive in scale in the extreme, I guarantee you if it was replaced with some nice high density mixed use apartments with some ground floor retail the town would breathe a collective sigh of relief and be all the better for it

Maybe even rebuild the nice victorian buildings that ugly crap replaced, would help the image of the town as a historic victorian seaside location to visit

I was just looking online and this is what the whetherspoons building thing used to look like,a real pity I think, the town would look infinitely better today if it hadnt been replaced
    0280.jpg?w=640
    Same view today
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.294449,-6.1337408,3a,90y,172.38h,84.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGBCGPLr8tzL_kUFQJ_RZMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    Its actually tragic how **** 20th C architecture was and how many of the worlds beautiful cities and towns it absolutely destroyed, just adds insult to injury that the beautiful church on marine road burnt down as well
    The restored BAths?

The baths are not being restored !!!!yhey are being filled in and a foot path being put in. Richard Boyd Barrett and his Merry men have a lot to answer for. We could have had a nice complex but will just have a foot path.

It’s being along time since the pavilion looked like that. There was a cinema and petrol station there before they built the theatres , gym , car park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I grew up in Dun Laoghaire, am in my mid-40s and now after time away have my office at the back of the town. That gives me a decent perspective on some of the changes that have happened over the years, quite apart from my work in town planning consultancy. I think some of the simplistic comment you see on here and on a couple of Facebook groups are just that, simplistic. If you want a bit of an explanation as to why the town is where it is, consider the following...

- The retail heart has moved away from Dun Laoghaire, no denying that, but it is not because of parking charges or business rates. Really you say?

When I was a kid, DL was the supermarket and fresh food destination for 5 miles around, in a time when money was very tight and options limited. It was the focus of many bus routes when the DART was only catching on. On weekdays it was busy, on weekends it was black. Parents (mainly women working in the home, without a second car) brought their kids to Dominican Primary and Secondary schools, to CBS Eblana Ave and to Pres brothers in Glasthule and the Senior Colleges (Techs). Most days they would spend a few pence in the town and that meant footfall. They got uniforms and school supplies every summer and Christmas was well catered for, so seasonal trade was in rude health. In turn, the cafés and draperies were busy and that meant numbers of staff in the area with their own money to spend around the place.

These days, that custom is gone because all the schools bar Dominican primary is gone. Ironically Bloomfields centre rose where Domican secondary was demolished. A daft equation in many ways. Of course at the same time, house prices crept up and the population aged hugely. Online is the new place for school supplies, along with many other products too.

In my opinion, the Councillors of old Dun Laoghaire borough and subsequent DLR Dun Laoghaire ward were always massively conservative and hesitant, so when opportunities came, they were snapped up by Dundrum, Sandyford and the like. Along with the M50 opening up the wider suburbs, this further bled away that customer with the disposable income. At the same time, the ferries left, largely because of traffic access limitations.

Retail rents did not move with the times in DL, mainly because so much of the main street and shopping centre, property is owned by a few large entities and pension funds (including Dunnes and Coltard) who could afford to sit of these properties as appreciating assets. Im not sure many local people recognise that factor.

As for parking charges, you always hear the drum being banged by the few local interests of it killing the town, but the fact is the very same regime exists in the busy Dalkey and Blackrock, but in Dun Laoghaire's case it was actually demanded by many local businesses and residents who on weekdays simply couldnt source parking at their homes or for their customers as every street became the DART carpark. Now, at least, residents are returning to the town centre in new build apartments and larger houses in places like Adelaide Street and Clarinda Park where former office conversions and flats are returning to single large dwellings. This is a good thing for the life blood of the town.

Apart from that, I know of many small IT driven companies moving into nooks and crannies around the town having being priced out of the mental City Centre scene. Also too, the Harbour Innovation Campus has been just been approved for the old HSS terminal, driven by guys who know the sector and with a DART and bus hub on their doorsteps. 1,000 new jobs there is not a fanciful target with the City short on space and high on price.

The one big nut to crack is the rental cost of retail properties (and personally Id demolish the shopping centre and put 500 mixed apartments there 2 mins from the DART with light retail at street level to add to the 24 hour life of the town).

The world is changing fast, Dun Laoghaire has been left somewhat behind, but in my experience its far from dead and it has massive positives to propel it into a new existence of next generation residents, business food and services, co-ordinated by sensible and practical planning and community input.

The tools are there.

This :) Very good summation and talk of the potential that is in Dun Laoghaire. Hopefully it will come to fruition with/in spite of the conservatism of the Council.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

wakka12 wrote: »
    I was just looking online and this is what the whetherspoons building thing used to look like,a real pity I think, the town would look infinitely better today if it hadnt been replaced.

This is what the current building replaced....

https://historicalpicturearchive.com/shop/uncategorized/pavilion-cinema-parade-dun-laoghaire-co-dublin-dx-00114/

Which was no beauty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The problem with DL is the amount of lowlifes hanging around, example - on street outside the church.

Advertisement