Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

tomofson wrote: »
    How can you get to brittas bay via public transport, I am in Dun Laoghaire.

I think the poster was talking about Brittas in County Dublin which is between Tallaght and Blessington and not Brittas Bay. No public transport to Brittas unless you got Wexford Bus or BE to Jack Whites and walked the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Yep, south of Tallaght. 75 Dun Laoghaire to The Square and 65/65b to Brittas.

Chinasea wrote: »
    So not true.

So when Grafton Street was pedestrianised way back in the 70s the retail business nose dived and women were scared to walk down a car free Street.

Many European cities of equivalent size and genre are fully pedestrianised for years, and work perfectly well, are 100 times more pleasant to walk through and I don't think the women are too scared to walk down the town cause there are no cars.

Agreed.

The problem they never fully pedestrianised Lwr. George's Street as there was still big 46a VT tri axles running along the the so called" pedestrianised street. The buses were destroyed by the cobbles and the buses destroyed the cobbles. The cobbles also made for a very uncomfortable bus journey. I think the council learned their lesson that you can't pedestrianise a street and still run buses on it. Hopefully the NTA, DB, ABP and DCC take DL's experience with pedrianised areas on board when granting approval for the College Green Plaza and not allow buses run through it.

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Yep, south of Tallaght. 75 Dun Laoghaire to The Square and 65/65b to Brittas.

The 65b doesn't go to Brittas only the 65 don't recommend getting the 75 to Tallaght. DART to Tara Street and 65 to Brittas from Poolbeg Street would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So when Grafton Street was pedestrianised way back in the 70s the retail business nose dived and women were scared to walk down a car free Street.

Grafton St. is a wide city centre street fully populated on both sides with retail shops, it's ludicrous to compare it with George's St. Dun Laoghaire.

From York Road to St. Michael's Hospital, George's St. Dun Laoghaire is effectively a retail ghost town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »
    Grafton St. is a wide city centre street fully populated on both sides with retail shops, it's ludicrous to compare it with George's St. Dun Laoghaire.

From York Road to St. Michael's Hospital, George's St. Dun Laoghaire is effectively a retail ghost town.

Whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

ted1 wrote: »
    There’s no new bath complex. There’s a footpath going where the Victorian baths was.

A lot of the problem isn’t the cost of parking but the over zealous enforcement. 5 minutes late? Here’s a ticket.

Not sure why you keep calling it a footpath. Have you actually looked at the plans? There's a lot more to it than that. They are taking derelict baths and turning them into a public swimming area again with studios and a cafe. So yes there is a new bath complex.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stephen15 wrote: »

Well, yes and no.
    British group Sports Direct acquired the troubled department store’s UK assets.
    A spokesman for Sports Direct confirmed to Fora that the deal excludes the chain’s Dundrum Town Centre outlet

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Well, yes and no.

You have to wonder what will happen to them though. I presume they will drop the HoF own brands and just become a pure department store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Not sure why you keep calling it a footpath. Have you actually looked at the plans? There's a lot more to it than that. They are taking derelict baths and turning them into a public swimming area again with studios and a cafe. So yes there is a new bath complex.
    Definitely far more than a footpath and the plans for the baths look quite promising. However, I would reserve judgement until the project is completed. Hopefully it won't have the same outcome as the Clontarf baths.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/07/31/council-continues-to-press-clontarf-baths-to-open-to-the-public/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Definitely far more than a footpath and the plans for the baths look quite promising. However, I would reserve judgement until the project is completed. Hopefully it won't have the same outcome as the Clontarf baths.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/07/31/council-continues-to-press-clontarf-baths-to-open-to-the-public/
    Not much more than a footpath.
    Stop calling it baths. There will be no trace of them once they are paved in.
    The council should be ashamed of themselves the only Victorian baths left in Dublin should of being protected

Not much more than a footpath.
    Stop calling it baths. There will be no trace of them once they are paved in.
    The council should be ashamed of themselves the only Victorian baths left in Dublin should of being protected

Civic space would be more the term I would use rather than footpath. Yes the orginal baths are gone but it's hardly that big a deal there will an area to swim in sea there something which DL lacks is somewhere to have a swim. Yes you can go for a swim near DL in Sandycove or the 40 foot but not anywhere that's in DL.

The area around the baths between the baths and the pier is currently a wasteground and is the missing link on the DL seafront redevolopment after the People's Park redevelopment, The library and filling in of the DART tracks and opening of the civic space in front of the pavilion. It will be a great amenity for DL.

Restoring the baths themselves would have cost too much for something which would only really be used during on nice days during the summer unless they planned to heat them. That being said I was in favour of the plans to build the Badeschiff/Urban Beach plans in the harbour but that should have been done as a private development rather a DLRCC one.

You can swim in Salthill , Seapoint, the harbour etc.

Plenty of places already.

They could have used a mixture of solar and heat pumps Water to water to heat the pools.

You can swim in Salthill , Seapoint, the harbour etc.

Plenty of places already.

They could have used a mixture of solar and heat pumps Water to water to heat the pools.

Salthill and Seapoint aren't in DL. True but would that have been commercially viable. I would imagine they would to charge punters a fair whack to use the baths if they did. The proposed Urban Beach would have been likely cheaper to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Salthill and Seapoint aren't in DL. True but would that have been commercially viable. I would imagine they would to charge punters a fair whack to use the baths if they did. The proposed Urban Beach would have been likely cheaper to build.

anytime I have ever heard salthill and seapoint mentioned people said Dun Laoghaire.

tomofson wrote: »
    anytime I have ever heard salthill and seapoint mentioned people said Dun Laoghaire.

They aren't in Dun Laoghaire. Seapoint is nearer Blackrock and Salthill is in Monkstown. They are near DL but not in DL it's a good 20 min walk from DL and DART stations in those places aren't called Dun Laoghaire. They are also not great for swimming as they are full of seaweed and it's miles out when the tides out.

SalthIll swimming area is only accessible by road from Dun Laoighre therefore by default it’s Dun Laoighre

SalthIll swimming area is only accessible by road from Dun Laoighre therefore by default it’s Dun Laoighre

They are great swimming areas, water is much warmer than the 40 ft and Dun Laoighre. It’s shallow sandy bottomsnd sheltered I like Scotsman bay, the 40ft, the Vico, white rock , Killiney

They are great swimming areas, water is much warmer than the 40 ft and Dun Laoighre. It’s shallow sandy bottomsnd sheltered I like Scotsman bay, the 40ft, the Vico, white rock , Killiney

Is that the one down behind the West Pier? Never thought it looked like a great place to swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Farmhill Cafe/restaurant in Goatstown closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

useless wrote: »
    Really? That's a shame. Seemed like a good location, no other options nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

useless wrote: »

Ah that’s a pity really nice place and nice people

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Cyrus wrote: »
    Ah that’s a pity really nice place and nice people

I hadn’t been there before but turned up today & it was shut. Quick look on their Facebook page confirmed it

New Italian Cafe opposite old library on Lwr George's Street is very good. Excellent authentic homemade, pasta dishes, sandwiches and coffee. They hope to open evenings once established. I believe they have an affiliation with Monkstowns thriving That's Amore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

New Italian Cafe opposite old library on Lwr George's Street is very good. Excellent authentic homemade, pasta dishes, sandwiches and coffee. They hope to open evenings once established. I believe they have an affiliation with Monkstowns thriving That's Amore.

How so?
    Love that place (pun intended)

More details, I don't know. The taste however might be in the puddin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't recall Dunnes taking any site like this before.

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1028955014025363456

I don't recall Dunnes taking any site like this before.

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1028955014025363456

Some kind of smaller Dunnes I'd say like the Tesco in Park Pointe. Also saw an ad at a bus stop today that the new Aldi in Blackrock is recruiting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Some kind of smaller Dunnes I'd say like the Tesco in Park Pointe. Also saw an ad at a bus stop today that the new Aldi in Blackrock is recruiting now.

I'd say Aldi is still a way off opening - Hallowe'een at best I would have thought?

Advertisement