Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'd say Aldi is still a way off opening - Hallowe'een at best I would have thought?

Website mentions October 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

How many shopping centres/supermarkets do we need for such a small area?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also saw an ad at a bus stop today that the new Aldi in Blackrock is recruiting now.

Please don't tell RossO'CK
    as

A) You'll have to explain how the bus stop works
    B) He knows his oul pair will be out on the barricades again to stop those Aldi people coming into Blackrock.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's no parking around that new Dunnes location, so not sure how they expect it to work. There's already a Centra just round the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there not a carpark directly behind it? Fairly sure the one evening I suffered in TGI Fridays I had parked on-site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Is there not a carpark directly behind it? Fairly sure the one evening I suffered in TGI Fridays I had parked on-site.

There is a large car park but exiting back to Newtownpark Ave. will be a problem and if the car in front of you wants to turn right out of the car park to get to Carysfort Ave. then there will be a big tailback behind him.

To fix this, they will probably paint a big yellow box outside the car park which will facilitate people turning right towards Carysfort Ave. but for people turning left, it's still going to take a while waiting for the lights at Newtownpark Ave. to change.

It will be a replica of the situation at Deansgrange Cross where there is an exit from the Supervalu car park very close to the junction.

Butchers on the top floor in Dundrum is gone also Rituals are opening a Dundrum Store

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It looks like Aldo's/Romayos has been gutted again, was going past at the weekend and there was a full skip outside with whitewashed windows
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yes they are revamping it. They're only gutting it now. It appears they are making into a sit in chipper.

Yes, I had a peek in a clear bit of the whitewash windows and pretty sure I saw diner style seats.

Aldos used to do pizza, the first opening of romayos did not. I hope the new one does. Romayos opened another chipper/diner recently so it will probably be similar. They have branded upmarket italian ice cream, large tubs to be put in cones.

this is the other new one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The upstairs restaurant in Debenhams in Frascati is closing permanently on August 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

coylemj wrote: »
    The upstairs restaurant in Debenhams in Frascati is closing permanently on August 28th.

I only ever went there at most twice since it opened. So, it won't be a big loss to yours truly.

It was a very poor replacement for Bewley's which was far more spacious.
    Also, the loss of light from the skylights was horrendous when they boarded it up for changing rooms while it was Pull And Bear.

Plus, it was very sneaky relocating the toilets within the cafe which guilt tripped me into asking the staff if I could use it.

I much preferred the spiraling stair case from the 1st floor to the basement. Since 2001, the only way up or down is the single escalator system and lift located near the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

There's toilets at the back of the centre near the post office. I'm always amazed how many people who go there frequently don't know this!

I much preferred the spiral staircase too. All irrelevant now though I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is a shame about the Debenham's Cafe in Frascati closing soon. My mam would use it for tea or lunch in there sometimes. Would another cafe chain use it when they relaunch with the new redevelopment at Frascati?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I believe Pamela Scott is closing down for a few months and re-opening in November when the centre is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That is a shame about the Debenham's Cafe in Frascati closing soon. My mam would use it for tea or lunch in there sometimes. Would another cafe chain use it when they relaunch with the new redevelopment at Frascati?

Or I wonder will debenhams take it over for more retail space?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Or I wonder will debenhams take it over for more retail space?

That cafe was a remnant of department stores from years gone by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Any talk about what's going to happen to HoF in Dundrum? I know it's only a recent development, but it's a huge space. I assume no one will take the whole store over multiple stores (or at least I can't think of anyone who would fill all that space by themselves) so will it just be a few separate retailers instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Any talk about what's going to happen to HoF in Dundrum? I know it's only a recent development, but it's a huge space. I assume no one will take the whole store over multiple stores (or at least I can't think of anyone who would fill all that space by themselves) so will it just be a few separate retailers instead?

Didn't Heatons or whatever they call themselves now buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Didn't Heatons or whatever they call themselves now buy them?

I thought I heard something about the Irish stores not being a part of the Sports direct takeover deal, not sure what's happening with it.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, I had a peek in a clear bit of the whitewash windows and pretty sure I saw diner style seats.

Aldos used to do pizza, the first opening of romayos did not. I hope the new one does. Romayos opened another chipper/diner recently so it will probably be similar. They have branded upmarket italian ice cream, large tubs to be put in cones.

this is the other new one

Reopening on Monday

awec wrote: »
    There's no parking around that new Dunnes location, so not sure how they expect it to work. There's already a Centra just round the corner.

There is a parking area behind it which leads onto Newtown Park. I would imagine a Dunnes Stores even a small one would have a bit more to offer than a Centra and also would be more reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

awec wrote: »

I'd imagine the bulk of people will insist on parking in front of the off license and the dry cleaners.
    That car park is already a nightmare to use as nobody bothers driving to the back of the shops, and just block in the cars out front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I thought I heard something about the Irish stores not being a part of the Sports direct takeover deal, not sure what's happening with it.

The Dundrum store is a separate legal entity to the main HOF operation in the UK but is meant to be included and it just needs documentation to be completed.

Whilst the administrators are running it, it can't be included in the UK pre-pack administration package as that is a different process to here.

The UK operation seems to have had debts of a horrifying £1 BILLION! :eek:

That's a net debt of about £16 million per store and its going to hurt an awful lot of suppliers who are said to be getting just 3p per £1 of debt.

I much preferred the spiraling stair case from the 1st floor to the basement. Since 2001, the only way up or down is the single escalator system and lift located near the back.
    Senature wrote: »
    I much preferred the spiral staircase too. All irrelevant now though I presume.

Spiral staircases are fairly dangerous, without no clear flat space to put your inner side foot down. They're not good for anyone with mobility difficulties, or who is a bit old and frail, or anyone with some sight loss. There's a lot of people in Blackrock who fit into one or more of those categories.

Between HoF, Hamley's and Urban Outfitters, that's a big bunch of empty space for a centre like Dundrum. It's hard to think of too many existing retailers who could fill any of those spaces. I wonder if it would be possibile to get something like a bowling/quasar/jumpzone place for kids and teens into Hamley's old space.

Between HoF, Hamley's and Urban Outfitters, that's a big bunch of empty space for a centre like Dundrum. It's hard to think of too many existing retailers who could fill any of those spaces. I wonder if it would be possibile to get something like a bowling/quasar/jumpzone place for kids and teens into Hamley's old space.

That whole area is becoming a restaurant and bar area with planning permission received for four new restaurants and a very large bar.

That's in addition to fallon and Byrne development

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That whole area is becoming a restaurant and bar area with planning permission received for four new restaurants and a very large bar.

That's in addition to fallon and Byrne development

Hard to see a market for all of that, along with all the existing Milanos, Maos, The Counter etc. The pub that was in Jamie Oliver's space originally wasn't exactly jammers mid week.

If HoF were to close down then perhaps BT might be interested in the unit, another retailer I could see opening up there would be John Lewis if they decide to enter the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see Pamela Scott in Frascati have a closing sale as they say they are relocating to a new location in early Nov presumably when the new Frascati is finished - at least it is some indication of a timelines for completion!

Hard to see a market for all of that, along with all the existing Milanos, Maos, The Counter etc. The pub that was in Jamie Oliver's space originally wasn't exactly jammers mid week.

You'd be surprised.

Once you get a strong cluster together people are drawn to the area.

By having 12-15 restaurants and bars it suddenly becomes a very attractive alternative to the city centre for a night out for a wider area.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Wine Library in Dun Laoghaire (opposite Dunphy's) has closed after about a year. It's moving to an online model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I wonder if it would be possibile to get something like a bowling/quasar/jumpzone place for kids and teens into Hamley's old space.

Bravo, well played :D

https://cloud.lovindublin.com/images/uploads/2015/10/_blogWide/Dundrum-5.jpg

Advertisement