Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

My conspiracy/suspicion would be that whoever owns it plans to let it get into such a state of neglect so that any future planning proposal encompassing it is likely to be favorably viewed. The other option would be that the owners are just going to sit on it with a view to flogging it if/when the price is increases. Either option would explain the lack of investment.

I do believe that the problems of the demise of DL wash up squarely and fairly on the county councils door. Between the elected officials and the permanent staff there has been catastrophic failure as any walk up the main street will testify. Vocal nimbyism is not an excuse, nor are business's looking out for their own interests and while it's hard to see any way of DL dodging the recession entirely, the extent of empty shops is out of proportion to similar towns in Dublin.

The baths remain an inexcusable eye sore, the pier grossly underutilised and the constant changes to pedestrianisation etc of the main street a joke. While I love the idea of new libraries but I can't but feel that technology they have seen their day and the new/upgraded ones (including B'rock and Deansgrange) will be white elephants. I won't even mention the state of the Killiney bloody roundabout...

All the while the council levy rates dating back to 2006 on local business's and subsidise pop-up shops to compete with those paying these obscene rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Where I lived in the UK.

They owned it, but a management company ran it, or at least used to.

There is no local authority in Ireland that owns a shopping mall. Your rush to blame the public sector is misdirected, as happens frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My conspiracy/suspicion would be that whoever owns it plans to let it get into such a state of neglect so that any future planning proposal encompassing it is likely to be favorably viewed. The other option would be that the owners are just going to sit on it with a view to flogging it if/when the price is increases. Either option would explain the lack of investment.

Agree.
    I do believe that the problems of the demise of DL wash up squarely and fairly on the county councils door. Between the elected officials and the permanent staff there has been catastrophic failure as any walk up the main street will testify. Vocal nimbyism is not an excuse, nor are business's looking out for their own interests and while it's hard to see any way of DL dodging the recession entirely, the extent of empty shops is out of proportion to similar towns in Dublin.

Same Council that covers Dalkey, Blackrock, and importantly Dundrum. The difference is the locals.
    The baths remain an inexcusable eye sore, the pier grossly underutilised and the constant changes to pedestrianisation etc of the main street a joke. While I love the idea of new libraries but I can't but feel that technology they have seen their day and the new/upgraded ones (including B'rock and Deansgrange) will be white elephants. I won't even mention the state of the Killiney bloody roundabout...

Two Baths plans promoted by the Council rejected locally, now the ship has sailed. The Pier is listed and run by the Harbour Company. Their masterplan is the subject of other threads. Agree with you about the traffic mess ups.
    All the while the council levy rates dating back to 2006 on local business's and subsidise pop-up shops to compete with those paying these obscene rates.

Every commercial site in the Country pays rates, its the model thats wrong, I wouldnt begrudge a street market pitch or a pop-up shop residency to somebody with a nice little product and no capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Same Council that covers Dalkey, Blackrock, and importantly Dundrum. The difference is the locals.

Sorry but are you actually saying that there is a greater amount of NIMBYism in DL than either Dalkey or Blackrock? Seriously? What major changes to either of these towns has occurred even vaguely recently?
    Two Baths plans promoted by the Council rejected locally, now the ship has sailed. The Pier is listed and run by the Harbour Company.

The plans put forth by the council were terrible plans which would have resulted in even greater amounts of empty shops. They could quite easily have just bulldozed the baths and continued on the walk there but insisted on building as much apartments and unnecessary shops/offices as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

RainyDay wrote: »
    There is no local authority in Ireland that owns a shopping mall. Your rush to blame the public sector is misdirected, as happens frequently.

You'll have to forgive me. The demise of DL shopping centre is indicative of the demise of the town centre in general. The council are not immune from blame in this.

But of course, heaven forbid anyone dare criticise our wonderful public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You'll have to forgive me. The demise of DL shopping centre is indicative of the demise of the town centre in general. The council are not immune from blame in this.

The demise of the shopping centre was the granting of bloom fields, the development of restaurants on at the pavilion and the lack of free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Bakers/confectioners 'Sweetest Thing' by Marine Road entrance to the shopping centre has the shutters pulled down today. Is that gone too?

That's really sad news. Great business, great staff, great coffee, lovely rolls / sandwiches and the best rhubarb scones known to man.

Am really sorry to hear this - best of luck to all the staff and management. :(

ted1 wrote: »
    The demise of the shopping centre was the granting of bloom fields, the development of restaurants on at the pavilion and the lack of free parking.

Dun Laoghaire is plenty big enough for Bloomfields and the shopping centre. The restaurants at the pavilion wouldn't make any difference.

I don't know if there is one, but the council should have a town centre manager offering incentives to major retailers to come in to the town, like a rates holiday, or assistance to refurbish some shops. There should at least be a plan on what the town looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dun Laoghaire is plenty big enough for Bloomfields and the shopping centre. The restaurants at the pavilion wouldn't make any difference.

I don't know if there is one, but the council should have a town centre manager offering incentives to major retailers to come in to the town, like a rates holiday, or assistance to refurbish some shops. There should at least be a plan on what the town looks like.
    the restaurants do as there is now no need for day trippers etc to go into the town. They can get a walk and a bite to eat without having to go near the place .

Also the fact the old shopping centre is empty will bloom fields is doing well suggests differently

Prime Time at the moment folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Prime Time at the moment folks

What was it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Synode wrote: »
    What was it about?
    There was a woman on talking about dun laoghaire main street & the SC. Saying how many shops were closed, think 50-60 on main street & 25 or so in the shopping centre.

Probably online still.

That was the only bit I caught while flicking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

couple of reasons. Firstly I come from a town with a similar sized Mall that was council owned, because it was strategically important to the town centre.

secondly, because it just isn't being run in the way I would expect a commercial operation to be run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorn_Centre ?

Yeah was a general debate on the costs of running a retail business, all very valid, they had people on from a few different towns, Athy, Naas, Longford and Dun laoghaire

Ive seen the DL womans name often in the local papers

MYOB wrote: »

Not the one I was thinking of! That place won a design award when it was opened, a few years later it was voted the ugliest building in Britain!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not the one I was thinking of! That place won a design award when it was opened, a few years later it was voted the ugliest building in Britain!

It, and the bloke with the bell are all I can ever remember of trips to Portsmouth...

Lol @ Brutalist architecture. You can add DL shopping centre to that.

the restaurants do as there is now no need for day trippers etc to go into the town. They can get a walk and a bite to eat without having to go near the place .

Also the fact the old shopping centre is empty will bloom fields is doing well suggests differently

Bloomfields is being managed properly, that's the difference. I doubt Jack Jones and dealz are paying any rent at the moment as a sweetener and the extra trade they bring keep the other shops going. It was half empty 12 months ago.

Bloomfields is being managed properly, that's the difference. I doubt Jack Jones and dealz are paying any rent at the moment as a sweetener and the extra trade they bring keep the other shops going. It was half empty 12 months ago.

The tesco and handy/cheaper parking means its fairly busy. Do the other units opposite the tills there not turnover very often?

I know boardsies in other areas must get weary with this always coming back to Dun Laoghaire but seeing as Bloomfields is mentioned, the situation on the road/lane outside the centre is a disaster. The goods entrance for Bloomfields was never suitable and the lane itself is a dogs dinner that does no good for pedestrian or driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes the thread has turned into a commentary on Dun Laoghaire. Can it be taken elsewhere and leave this thread as a new openings and closures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So then be specific about what you're actually criticising the council for. Don't attack them for not managing buildings that they have no role in managing.
    heaven forbid anyone dare criticise our wonderful public sector for not doing things that they have no role in doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Graham O' Sullivan in Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre closing next Friday. (Lovely staff in there - feel sorry for them) I thought this was one of the only busy places in the centre, but rarely see it before or after lunch..? I was talking to a shop owner in the centre during the week and apparently the new management company are hiking the rents for current tenants (WTF?) Motion Picture also closing down.. Sweetest Thing gone. You would imagine they would be bending over backwards to keep units occupied.

Clearly they have another agenda, as mentioned by previous poster.

Corrig Stores gone (surprised they lasted so long). One of the worst run shops I have ever seen. Seems to be a big building job going on there.. anybody know what's happening?

Graham O' Sullivan in Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre closing next Friday. (Lovely staff in there - feel sorry for them) I thought this was one of the only busy places in the centre, but rarely see it before or after lunch..? I was talking to a shop owner in the centre during the week and apparently the new management company are hiking the rents for current tenants (WTF?) Motion Picture also closing down.. Sweetest Thing gone. You would imagine they would be bending over backwards to keep units occupied.

Clearly they have another agenda, as mentioned by previous poster.

Corrig Stores gone (surprised they lasted so long). One of the worst run shops I have ever seen. Seems to be a big building job going on there.. anybody know what's happening?

Things have hit a tipping point now, if Super Valu throws their hat at it every other unit in the place might as well go too. It would make more sense for any of them to move out onto the main street empty units and give the place a bit more life. If the Centre was boarded up I dont think it would bother too many people, it looks like a prison anyway.

Graham O'Sullivan is a bit of an end of an era, it literally has not changed one bit since I was in a pram down there in 1970s. Have to say though, the food is utterly atrocious, surprises me it lasted this long with customers having much higher standards in the last 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Things have hit a tipping point now, if Super Valu throws their hat at it every other unit in the place might as well go too. It would make more sense for any of them to move out onto the main street empty units and give the place a bit more life. If the Centre was boarded up I dont think it would bother too many people, it looks like a prison anyway.

Graham O'Sullivan is a bit of an end of an era, it literally has not changed one bit since I was in a pram down there in 1970s. Have to say though, the food is utterly atrocious, surprises me it lasted this long with customers having much higher standards in the last 20 years

Agreed. The only thing I liked about the place was convenience when in a rush.. Still looked like a good business to me (hard to judge nowadays!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

last time I was in Graham O's was when picksback was offering a €1 breakfast deal, the breakfast was mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The only advantage of Graham O'Sullivan is that it's much cheaper than any of the other restaurants to go in and eat.

Dun Laoghaire has a choice of other restaurants such as The Pier Inn, The Blue Ginger, The Oliveto Osteria (The Italian Restaurant beside The Kingston Hotel) and Kozi's Bar; and then further on down you have Nando's opening up as well.

Even if the quality of the food in these places will fair much better than Grahams; IMO they are going to be more expensive to eat in them.

A lot of the potential customers that go in would consider having a meal on the odd day/night out or have their lunch there. That's is fine for them. But, other people would say that they couldn't afford to eat out because of their financial situation.

I am disappointed with this decision. The staff in Graham O'Sullivan's were really nice people.

Another point I would like to raise is that will the staff keep their jobs by being redeployed to another Graham's outlet or will they lose their jobs altogether?

All I can say is that I wish them all the best in the future in both circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Broadcastman

Any one known when the 40foot closed down has signs up saying closed reopens May 2013 doubt it at this stage and place looks in bad shape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Actually, that there giant, one of Europe's largest shopping centre, a mere 20 mins drive from Dun Laoghaire town centre, DUNDRUM, had a mega amount to do with the empty tills in DL.

They shoulda kept it pedestrianised and bigged the authentic town centre vibe, (warts and all).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Here are three ive noticed closed recently the xl Shop on the outskirts of dl, dunnes food section and abrakebabra anyone know anthing about these

Advertisement