Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

tomofson wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that was the one, Do you know what year it closed its doors?

I'm not sure but ISTR that the license for the place was taken over by Tesco in Bloomfield's, which would put it mid 90s.

It was being converted into a private residence, but noticed a for sale sign up on it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I'm not sure but ISTR that the license for the place was taken over by Tesco in Bloomfield's, which would put it mid 90s.

It was being converted into a private residence, but noticed a for sale sign up on it the other day.

With a sold notice on it. It has said it’s been sold for last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

joeguevara wrote: »
    With a sold notice on it. It has said it’s been sold for last couple of years.

No, there is a new sign, no.1 Cumberland Street(the Cumberland Inn site) has recently gone on the market again.

The Cumberland Inn closed it's doors around 2004 I think, but by that time it was the Periwinkle. It was vacant for a very long time before being bought as a lot (along with nos 2 and 3) in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You wouldn't extinguish a 7 day publican's licence to open an off-licence. It would be a complete waste of money, especially if it was a Dublin licence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It wasnt that early, the owners I did work experience for in transition year in their shop up beside rockford manner and that was 98 and they ddint sell the shop for a couple of years to buy the Cumberland, i would have said around 2005 it closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

It wasnt that early, the owners I did work experience for in transition year in their shop up beside rockford manner and that was 98 and they ddint sell the shop for a couple of years to buy the Cumberland, i would have said around 2005 it closed down

I don't recall it being open in 2005, saying that I was only a young whipper snapper back then so wouldn't have been paying attention to pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    You wouldn't extinguish a 7 day publican's licence to open an off-licence. It would be a complete waste of money, especially if it was a Dublin licence.

Dublin licences have no special extra value for about 15 years now; and the bulk of off-licences are created by extinguishing a 7 day licence.

Maxol Maynooth uses the licence from Berminghams on Dorset Street for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Frascati now have a new website up and running.

https://frascaticentre.ie/

A couple of announcements were made from it.

The new McDonalds unit will be open to the public from this Tuesday; the 16th of October.

Five Guys will open on the 5th of November.

Kay's Kitchen & Cafe Nero will open in Spring 2019.

Checked the site and it offers little by way of anything cultural. Any news of a newspaper / magazine shop. Badly wanted in Blackrock since McNamaras in Blackrock SC closed.

It all looks a bit grim to me!

Newsagents are dying, nobody would open one now. Look at how small the news and magazine section in a big Eason is now

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

L1011 wrote: »
    Newsagents are dying, nobody would open one now. Look at how small the news and magazine section in a big Eason is now

True - I have noticed. Makes me a bit sad (and feel old).

When I moved to Blackrock around 20 years ago there was a Golden Discs in the Frescati and Sounds Unmistakeable in the Blackrock SC. Not sure where I could buy a CD around here not. Dún Laoghaire, I suppose.

Yet card shops seem to be triving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

horslips wrote: »

Because it doesn't make sense to buy cards online - small purchase, and always last minute!

Cards are exceptionally high margin and don't go out of date (just shove them in the back for the same event next year) as well as the two reasons above.

Magazines are low margin and while returning unsold copies does prevent being charged for them, it is labour intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

L1011 wrote: »
    Cards are exceptionally high margin and don't go out of date (just shove them in the back for the same event next year) as well as the two reasons above.

Magazines are low margin and while returning unsold copies does prevent being charged for them, it is labour intensive.

Additionally its very hard to upsell sweets, chocolates, etc when you've an M&S, Aldi and SuperValu in very close proximity where prices are going to be consistently lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

horslips wrote: »
    True - I have noticed. Makes me a bit sad (and feel old).

When I moved to Blackrock around 20 years ago there was a Golden Discs in the Frescati and Sounds Unmistakeable in the Blackrock SC. Not sure where I could buy a CD around here not. Dún Laoghaire, I suppose.

Yep. Either Dun Laoghaire SC or Dundrum SC is the best bet for looking in Golden Discs.

Golden Discs in Frascati years ago was in the unit for Keith Grant Butchers. Ironically now that unit is closed again & Kieth Grant Butchers moved out to Dundrum SC. I haven't a clue what business is going into that unit now or for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE:

Five Guys are having a recruitment drive, for new people to work in it's new restaurant in Frascati, on the 22nd of October.

https://frascaticentre.ie/recruitment-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

UPDATE:

Five Guys are having a recruitment drive, for new people to work in it's new restaurant in Frascati, on the 22nd of October.

https://frascaticentre.ie/recruitment-2/

Have they done their market research regarding location because Balckrock is definitely not in Dublin 4 don't know what gave them the impression it was.

Some work going on at the old Get Fresh (fruit & veg.) shop in Deansgrange, interior stripped bare and a guy working on the frontage. And there is an O'Brien's (off-licence) van parked outside.

The unit would be a bit small for an O'Briens but their old place up in Stillorgan near the entrance to Lidl and the cinema was pretty cramped before they eventually decamped further up the Lr. Kilmacud Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Some work going on at the old Get Fresh (fruit & veg.) shop in Deansgrange, interior stripped bare and a guy working on the frontage. And there is an O'Brien's (off-licence) van parked outside.

The unit would be a bit small for an O'Briens but their old place up in Stillorgan near the entrance to Lidl and the cinema was pretty cramped before they eventually decamped further up the Lr. Kilmacud Road.

Didn't think standalone off licences were still doing much business these days surprised the likes of O'Briens can still compete with supermarkets even most Spars and Centras have a full off sales licence these days. Surprised an off licence would open up not far from a Supervalu and a Lidl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Didn't think standalone off licences were still doing much business these days surprised the likes of O'Briens can still compete with supermarkets even most Spars and Centras have a full off sales licence these days. Surprised an off licence would open up not far from a Supervalu and a Lidl.

Yeah I think it would be an odd location. A good offie in super value and cheap stuff in Lidl might be too much for it

Stephen15 wrote: »

You'd think so but the O'Briens in Stillorgan for example for years managed to survive in a cramped premises across the road from a very large standalone Tesco off-licence in the shopping centre.

The old Get Fresh premises is now sandwiched between an Apache pizza and a Saba takeaway, that might have made the location attractive for O'Briens. Fitting out an off-licence probably doesn't involve much of an investment so there's no great commercial risk involved if they picked it up on a short lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You'd think so but the O'Briens in Stillorgan for example for years managed to survive in a cramped premises across the road from a very large standalone Tesco off-licence in the shopping centre.

The old Get Fresh premises is now sandwiched between an Apache pizza and a Saba takeaway, that might have made the location attractive for O'Briens. Fitting out an off-licence probably doesn't involve much of an investment so there's no great commercial risk involved if they picked it up on a short lease.

I think I remember reading a good few years back that that Tesco Off Licence was the busiest in the country at one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ember in Milltown. Is this restaurant closed down?
    Theres no notice outside, facebook and twitter accounts dont say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cangirl86

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets or Rockets will be taking the unit that Sivad occupied in Leopardstown S.C
    Has this been confirmed, I can't find this anywhere online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

cangirl86 wrote: »

Was about to ask the same thing myself as I can't find it anywhere online either

The new Aldi concept store in Frascati is being built opposite the new McDonalds unit. The new McDonalds though is really small compared to the old unit.

New retailers hinted there will include an ice cream shop, a travel agent & a electronics repair shop/business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

BDJW wrote: »
    Was about to ask the same thing myself as I can't find it anywhere online either

I passed the unit today, no sign of any changes. Hope it's true though, I think it would do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

cangirl86 wrote: »

Unfortunately not. Raging!

Heard from someone else since that they just viewed the unit so far, no firm agreement in place yet.

Hopefully it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The new Aldi concept store in Frascati is being built opposite the new McDonalds unit. The new McDonalds though is really small compared to the old unit.

New retailers hinted there will include an ice cream shop, a travel agent & a electronics repair shop/business.
    I thought McDonald’s was meant to be bigger.
    Isn’t Aldi is due to open this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ember in Milltown. Is this restaurant closed down?
    Theres no notice outside, facebook and twitter accounts dont say anything.
    One less unauthorised advertisement hanging off the Dodder bridge I guess.

ted1 wrote: »
    I thought McDonald’s was meant to be bigger.
    Isn’t Aldi is due to open this month.

I don't know how many floors are in the new McDonalds. It's ground floor & tills are a lot more cramped than usual. There is only one till there when you come in the entrance for customers to make their orders compared to about 10 or 11 of them in their old place. The amount of space seen inside it is miles apart from it's old restaurant.

I think Aldi is nearly finished. All of the shelving units are all installed with a decent amount of customer trolleys inside. Just the food items left now that has to be put up on the shelves among with maybe a few other things like cash tills & new company signage left.

I also forgot to mention that the old Debenhams Cafe upstairs above the old McDonalds is getting all of it's previous fittings removed. There were a good amount of builders boarding up the place & probably refitting it for another cafe inside when I was in Frascati on Thursday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I don't know how many floors are in the new McDonalds. It's ground floor & tills are a lot more cramped than usual. There is only one till there when you come in the entrance for customers to make their orders compared to about 10 or 11 of them in their old place. The amount of space seen inside it is miles apart from it's old restaurant.

that may be a McDonald's policy, the Dun Laoghaire one has just reopened after a refit and there's just the one till, and one collection point. I think they want customers to use touch screens.

Advertisement