Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's not a suburb that gets very often on this thread despite being in South Dublin

Maybe it's because Inchicore is in Dublin City and this forum is for Dublin County South.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Aldi in Blackrock opening on Thursday - yay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Chipper in Fintans Park is back open under the name Express

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Mig wrote: »

Wonder if they'll still sell the Burger kebab, was a staple of my 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is an odd name, a guy I know said he saw Asians about the place who he reckoned might own it. So I was wondering if it would be like a typical Italian chipper at all. Can see no mention of it online.

They had 2euro chips there for a good while when it was Europa, seemed to get a lot of business because of it, had other good deals on weeknights. The new romayos is now 3.20 for chips and lots of other price hikes, so I am hoping it might have some good deals.

• Advertisement

After falling out of Bakers no doubt :D

Speaking of Bakers. New paint job on the outside and the supposed/rumoured plans for the inside sound good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

After falling out of Bakers no doubt :D

Speaking of Bakers. New paint job on the outside and the supposed/rumoured plans for the inside sound good

What are the rumoured plans?

rubadub wrote: »
    It is an odd name, a guy I know said he saw Asians about the place who he reckoned might own it. So I was wondering if it would be like a typical Italian chipper at all. Can see no mention of it online.

They had 2euro chips there for a good while when it was Europa, seemed to get a lot of business because of it, had other good deals on weeknights. The new romayos is now 3.20 for chips and lots of other price hikes, so I am hoping it might have some good deals.

Expect more price hikes
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/tillage/summer-heatwave-blamed-for-25pc-drop-in-potato-crop-as-suppliers-warn-of-price-rises-37492095.html

frash wrote: »
    What are the rumoured plans?
    Moving the bar into the church part and turning it into a sports bar.

Moving the bar into the church part and turning it into a sports bar.

Ugh - I don't like the church part.
    The bar is grand as it is complete with the "trust nobody but yourself" toilet graffiti

• Advertisement

tried it there, just a bag of chips. Nice chips and a decent amount, 2.80 (liberos are 3euro, and romayos are 3.20)

It was a single Italian guy and lots of Chinese staff. Nice place, really clean, full glass front on it.
    No kebab burgers :(, menu says they make their own naans for kebabs in house, as they have pizza ovens, Kebabs were 7.20 though. Otherwise most things seem cheaper or the same as liberos & romayos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

rubadub wrote: »
    tried it there, just a bag of chips. Nice chips and a decent amount, 2.80 (liberos are 3euro, and romayos are 3.20)

It was a single Italian guy and lots of Chinese staff. Nice place, really clean, full glass front on it.

There's also San Marino down in the Farm who charge €2.80 for a bag of chips.

I wonder are the Chinese staff ex Aldo's as they used to have quite a lot of Chinese staff and all the staff in Romayo's now seem to be be different.

There's also San Marino down in the Farm who charge €2.80 for a bag of chips.
    yes, meant to mention them, they still have several good deals going too, you get 10% off many things if you order online, for collection or delivery. The one in ballyogan too (which has some differences on the menu). They did have some really good daily deals but pulled them a few months back.
    I wonder are the Chinese staff ex Aldo's as they used to have quite a lot of Chinese staff and all the staff in Romayo's now seem to be be different.
    I wondered the same when I heard Asians were seen before it opened. I did not recognize any of them from Aldos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

josip wrote: »
    Parcel Motel have announced they're closing their Tesco Ballybrack location due to "circumstances beyond their control"

It's a while back, i know.

So, I wanted to have something delivered to the Parcel Motel in the Texaco in Cornelscourt and noticed that it's no longer there.

Here's the reason.

"After the submission of the eight planning enforcement enquiries for facilities in Stillorgan, Sandyford, Deansgrange, Blackrock, Ballybrack, Rathfarnham and Cornelscourt, a warning notice was issued on 26 May 2017 by the council."

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

according to the fella in the Ritz, the price of spuds has nearly doubled since this time last year. Keep an eye out for the first €5 bag of chips :eek:

according to the fella in the Ritz, the price of spuds has nearly doubled since this time last year. Keep an eye out for the first €5 bag of chips :eek:

I was working it out, a site said it went from €8 per 25kg bag to €16. I would guess a typical bag needs 400g of potatoes. There will be a decrease after peeling and increase after frying as they take on oil. This would mean about a 13cent increase.

Lots of places took the piss with the tax on sugar drinks too, upping the price of all cans (diet or full sugar) by well over the tax amount.

Ted Plain wrote: »
    It's a while back, i know.

So, I wanted to have something delivered to the Parcel Motel in the Texaco in Cornelscourt and noticed that it's no longer there.

Here's the reason.

"After the submission of the eight planning enforcement enquiries for facilities in Stillorgan, Sandyford, Deansgrange, Blackrock, Ballybrack, Rathfarnham and Cornelscourt, a warning notice was issued on 26 May 2017 by the council."

We’ve lost the Harbour one (which was very handy) Tesco and now Texaco.

The nearest is the one in Newtown which has pretty limited parking.

Dunnes now hiring for their former Playwright store

Dunnes now hiring for their former Playwright store

Dunnes/Playwright has it's own thread....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057443570

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Pamela Scott in Frascati are will be opening their new store in the 2 old units which had Bookstation & Keith Grant Butchers. Frascati have put new signage to say that Pamela Scott will be opening soon. Carl Scarpa are also hiring for a new sales assistant on Frascati's website.

Also about Aldi's opening on Thursday.

The Frascati Facebook page says that Nicky Byrne & Jenny Greene will be broadcasting their 2FM radio show from there on Thursday morning from 10am.
    We're so excited to announce the Grand Opening of Aldi Ireland this Thursday 8th Nov with the brilliant RTÉ 2fm Nicky Byrne & Jenny Greene Show Live from the Frascati Centre from 10am!!!

45488817_2034001806658314_6633971739116175360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=56c862fc06482b54b19244a1e73b6d79&oe=5C40210E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Aegir wrote: »
    We’ve lost the Harbour one (which was very handy) Tesco and now Texaco.

The nearest is the one in Newtown which has pretty limited parking.

I saw a planning notice up at the applegreen in stillorgan one recently - I hope it doesn't close!

I saw a planning notice up at the applegreen in stillorgan one recently - I hope it doesn't close!

There's delays now at the one on Newtownpark Ave

Now I know why....

There's delays now at the one on Newtownpark Ave

Now I know why....

In the e-mail from Parcel Motel informing me that their collection point at Texaco Clonkeen Road was closing, they told me they'll be opening their pop-up collection point in Kilmacud Crokes on Nov. 12th, you can expect a lot of deliveries to be diverted to there if your designated point has a backlog.

Collected from there last year or the year before, it consists of two PM lads sitting in what looks like the ref. and linesmens' dressing room with dozens of deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Unless you really need locker delivery parcel wizard is a better option imo

What looks to be either a coffee shop or a deli is opening in Deansgrange where O'Sheas Newsagent used to be.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Unless you really need locker delivery parcel wizard is a better option imo

There's also DHL lockers located inside some shops. Only found out about it when a got a parcel delivered to Spar in Monkstown which is the nearest one to me I'm not sure if many other shops in other areas around have. Perhaps there wouldn't be issues with planning permission if they managed to locate them within shops rather than outside although this would be less convient as the service wouldn't be 24h.

There's also DHL lockers located inside some shops. Only found out about it when a got a parcel delivered to Spar in Monkstown which is the nearest one to me I'm not sure if many other shops in other areas around have. Perhaps there wouldn't be issues with planning permission if they managed to locate them within shops rather than outside although this would be less convient as the service wouldn't be 24h.

A locker that is specific to one shipping company has very little appeal for the general public because with mail order purchases, it's the vendor and not the customer who selects the shipping company. And in most cases, you have no idea who they are until the van pulls up outside your house.

Edit: Does DHL provide a service like PM where you get a delivery sent to them with your membership number in the address and they drop it to a designated collection point?

coylemj wrote: »
    A locker that is specific to one shipping company has very little appeal for the general public because with mail order purchases, it's the vendor and not the customer who selects the shipping company. And in most cases, you have no idea who they are until the van pulls up outside your house.

Edit: Does DHL provide a service like PM where you get a delivery sent to them with your membership number in the address and they drop it to a designated collection point?

I've never actually used PM but I thought it was exclusive to Nightline. When I used they called when I wasn't there and dropped to the nearest location.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've never actually used PM but I thought it was exclusive to Nightline. When I used they called when I wasn't there and dropped to the nearest location.

Yep, it was created by Nightline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    Does DHL provide a service like PM where you get a delivery sent to them with your membership number in the address and they drop it to a designated collection point?

No, but if the shipper includes a mobile number they will contact you and offer to divert to their collection point, ditto DPD. Both are FOC to the receiver, dunno for the shipper.

DHLs are lockers, DPDs are dropped behind the counter in shops. That added to An Post's retry system, evening and Saturday deliveries have the potential to hurt PM a lot, particularly as PM is known to be unreliable.

Advertisement