Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have tried the Roast Office in deansgrange village a few times now.

It's been weekends but two teenagers there, they make a good latte.
    The cake/pastry selection is minimal to say the least, this is a bit disappointing as normally i'd walk up to Cafe Sol with the kids and get them a treat.
    Hopefully this changes

The decor is simple, i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

They have really ramped up to work at the Playwright site which will be a Dunnes. Working all hours. Perhaps to open before XMas.

The butcher next door looks like the first casualty. A sign up saying he needed to close due to "recent events".

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

They have really ramped up to work at the Playwright site which will be a Dunnes. Working all hours. Perhaps to open before XMas.

The butcher next door looks like the first casualty. A sign up saying he needed to close due to "recent events".

That's very sad to hear. I hate to see independent retailers being cut out because of chain shops. I wonder was his rent put up too high. FXB in Deansgrange operate next to the Supervalu there and seem to be doing ok so I hope it wasn't his fear of business dropping. Parking always a prob around there but once the car park opens for Dunnes his business might have grown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ross2010 wrote: »
    That's very sad to hear. I hate to see independent retailers being cut out because of chain shops. I wonder was his rent put up too high. FXB in Deansgrange operate next to the Supervalu there and seem to be doing ok so I hope it wasn't his fear of business dropping. Parking always a prob around there but once the car park opens for Dunnes his business might have grown.

Seems to be good deals out of both, though i find FXB is better quality and that little more expensive. Forced SV to make some changes.

Agree playwright parking is a bloody nightmare, will be interesting to see what ends up happening with access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

That FX Buckley like to overcharge too by more than the prices on their website.

My wife pulled them up on it more than once so we avoid now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

New fashion outlet place in Stillorgan shopping centre where the sports shop used to be think it might be a pop up shop but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

McDonalds in Stillorgan SC have put up three self-service screens, same as the ones in Carrickmines and their new place in Frascati. You have to go to the counter on the right to make a 'face to face' order if you have any of the discount vouchers they shove through local letterboxes.

It's still progress at a snail's pace when you consider the financial muscle Dunnes have at their disposal, you'd almost think they were doing the work with direct part-time labour! Maybe they're using the same guys who took over a year to install Charlie Chawke's awful outside bar at the Goat.

Last Sunday there was scaffolding running along the ridge at the top of the roof on the main building on Newtownpark Ave. - strange when you consider that that roof is only about two or three years old. And they've recently installed an enclosure at first flooor level around the corner which probably contains refrigeration and/or A/C equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    McDonalds in Stillorgan SC have put up three self-service screens,
    I saw some poor auld fella struggling in frascati with it and it was not that obvious that you could go up and order, but he did.

You can customise some things which should ensure you get a freshly made burger. Even with eurosavers you can ask for more onion, pickles, ketchup, mustard on a double cheeseburger. A while ago for 20c you could even order more cheese on a double cheese, option seems blanked out now.

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw some poor auld fella struggling in frascati with it and it was not that obvious that you could go up and order, but he did.

The older guy with the glasses who sweeps the floor and clears tables in Stillorgan was helping a lady with the touch screen during the week, I was not impressed that they didn't have a more senior person on the job. But I think it's a job that nobody likes doing - when you observe the staff in Tesco and Dunnes who are posted to assist customers with the self-service checkout machines, you can see that they hate the job because it's monotonous and repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

you can see that they hate the job because it's monotonous and repetitive.

And the checkout isn't?

L1011 wrote: »
    And the checkout isn't?

The Dunnes staff who assist customers at the self-service machines are not checkout operators.

Pure Pharmacy now open on Deansgrange Road where the Get Fresh fruit & veg. shop used to be. Big banner across one of the windows promising '60% off prescriptions'. Business must have been slow on Saturday last as the lights were off and the shutters halfway down at 4:10 p.m., someone going home early!

Pure Pharmacy now open on Deansgrange Road where the Get Fresh fruit & veg. shop used to be. Big banner across one of the windows promising '60% off prescriptions'. Business must have been slow on Saturday last as the lights were off and the shutters halfway down at 4:10 p.m., someone going home early!

probably testing the waters.

I didnt realise the Grange pharmacy is closed on Sunday, that will be an opportunity for Pure anyway.

On another note, got a take out from Saba on Saturday, they have so many counter staff they couldnt all fit behind it. Seems a bit crazy for a takeaway place.

I didnt realise the Grange pharmacy is closed on Sunday, that will be an opportunity for Pure anyway.

For discounted prescriptions?
    On another note, got a take out from Saba on Saturday, they have so many counter staff they couldnt all fit behind it. Seems a bit crazy for a takeaway place.

Their main trade is deliveries, similar to Diep over at the Magic Carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Went to get chips at the Borza in Sandymount after the rugby on Saturday night with my son, we were both disappointed to see it is closed, presumably put out of business by the swanky burger joint next door. Burger's looked sensational in there, but just wanted a single chip traditional style. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mollser wrote: »
    Went to get chips at the Borza in Sandymount after the rugby on Saturday night with my son, we were both disappointed to see it is closed, presumably put out of business by the swanky burger joint next door. Burger's looked sensational in there, but just wanted a single chip traditional style. Ah well!

Bujo is very good to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was reading the local paper today. It reported that Frascati SC has sought planning permission for another 3 external retail units and 44 apartments. The new apartments will be placed over the rooftop of the SC. Phase 1 of the centre with openings for Aldi, McDonalds, Five Guys & Vodafone is already done & dusted. The three anchor tenants will be Aldi, M&S & Debenhams. The expected completion date for the new look Frascati will be in Easter 2019. In Frascati's new Atrium; The unit beside the new entrance on the right before approaching McDonalds has a To-Let sign up for a retailer to a business to do trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

New Dunnes at Playwright site on Newtownpark Ave opening tomorrow at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mollser wrote: »
    Went to get chips at the Borza in Sandymount after the rugby on Saturday night with my son, we were both disappointed to see it is closed, presumably put out of business by the swanky burger joint next door.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Restaurant/Borzas-Takeaway-Sandymount-118554244833995/
    Borza's Takeaway Sandymount
    September 13 ·
    **Customer Notice** Due to family circumstances, Borza's Takeaway Sandymount will be closed until further notice.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our customers.
    Borza's Takeaway Sandymount Thank you all for your heartfelt wishes. Means a lot. We're hoping that it'll all turn out well and everyone will be healthy. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Been told Gilbert & Wright's Dun Laoghaire will be changing hands in the new year and turning into a rotational craft beer pub something similar to underdog on dame st

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Been told Gilbert & Wright's Dun Laoghaire will be changing hands in the new year and turning into a rotational craft beer pub something similar to underdog on dame st

The craft beer place round the corner at the bottom of York Road didn't last very long - Beer Traders I think it was called - so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

The craft beer place round the corner at the bottom of York Road didn't last very long - Beer Traders I think it was called - so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

It's still there right, just not Galway bay anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's still there right, just not Galway bay anymore?

Yeah, it's called 'The Bar' now

Haven't been.
    Seems to get a student crowd.

The Lighthouse has also opened. It's a Brew Tonic bar which has that craft beer boardgame vibe going for it. So there'd be three bars within a relatively short walk. A decent DL pub crawl for the craft beer crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Union Cafe in Sandyford is now open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Yeah but knowing one of the guys who worked there it became apparent Galway Bay just had no interest in putting any effort into the place, also with the Dark Horse in Blackrock, in the end Beer Traders was being run by one inexperienced bar man from open until close.

I know it's not exactly an opening or a closure but parking charges are to be introduced in Stillorgan Plaza believe it will be €1 for the first hour and €2 every hour after it will be pay and display. I wonder will it be free for Lidl and cinema customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know it's not exactly an opening or a closure but parking charges are to be introduced in Stillorgan Plaza believe it will be €1 for the first hour and €2 every hour after it will be pay and display. I wonder will it be free for Lidl and cinema customers.

Yeah Flyefit are doing the first hour for free, and then the next hour for 1 euro. I would say LIDL might do the same with a purchase over X, but probably not the cinema as I'd say the average parking visit is probably over 2 hours there, so it would be a lot to cover the average cinema trip. However most people are probably in and out of LIDL in under an hour.

Dublin Meat Company seem to do good business there too, but it's probably from people already parked there for LIDL, the gym etc. rather than people going just for the butchers.

• Advertisement

Yeah Flyefit are doing the first hour for free, and then the next hour for 1 euro. I would say LIDL might do the same with a purchase over X, but probably not the cinema as I'd say the average parking visit is probably over 2 hours there, so it would be a lot to cover the average cinema trip. However most people are probably in and out of LIDL in under an hour.

Dublin Meat Company seem to do good business there too, but it's probably from people already parked there for LIDL, the gym etc. rather than people going just for the butchers.

Seems like a bad move by the cinema not offer free parking for it's customers considering the cinema in DL offer it for their customers. It's already one the more expensive cinemas around.

Advertisement