Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

New test centre is meant to be opening on Pottery Road in January

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Seems like a bad move by the cinema not offer free parking for it's customers considering the cinema in DL offer it for their customers. It's already one the more expensive cinemas around.

Agreed - but the carpark has turned into a nightmare since Flyefit opened. Notice lots of lycra clad types stocking up on eggs and steak in Lidl ever since, so probably well worth their €€€ to subsidise parking. I used to nip in there all the time, now it's emergency situations only.
    There's also a knock on impact with lots of in-and-out in 5 mins/just a pint of milk shoppers and ATM users double parking there and parking all over Kilmacud Road making that crazy even worse.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Agreed - but the carpark has turned into a nightmare since Flyefit opened. Notice lots of lycra clad types stocking up on eggs and steak in Lidl ever since, so probably well worth their €€€ to subsidise parking. I used to nip in there all the time, now it's emergency situations only.
    There's also a knock on impact with lots of in-and-out in 5 mins/just a pint of milk shoppers and ATM users double parking there and parking all over Kilmacud Road making that crazy even worse.

Also parents dropping off their kids to the grinds school there has made parking challenging there. I see where they're coming from by introducing a charge for parking but I think the likes of the cinema and Lidl should be giving their customers free parking or they'll go elsewhere. Having a parking charge for non Lidl and cinema customers makes sense especially as some may be parking and shopping elsewhere or spending too long.

Also parents dropping off their kids to the grinds school there has made parking challenging there. I see where they're coming from by introducing a charge for parking but I think the likes of the cinema and Lidl should be giving their customers free parking or they'll go elsewhere. Having a parking charge for non Lidl and cinema customers makes sense especially as some may be parking and shopping elsewhere or spending too long.

Yup - I agree with you.
    And not to drag toooo off topic but jeez, another grind school - that's new right? feel really sorry for kids today... it really is all about the grind these days...

That being said, basic parking/road rule discipline or enforcement wouldn't go astray either. Should we maybe teach that in school? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Seems like a bad move by the cinema not offer free parking for it's customers considering the cinema in DL offer it for their customers. It's already one the more expensive cinemas around.
    The Stillorgan Odeon cinema is inordinately expensive considering the poor quality of the screens and seating.

That said, paid parking was an inevitable move once the grind school opened, which has created serious parking problems there. Coupled with Flyefit and increased footfall in the old shopping centre, I wonder how many of those parking there actually use the cinema or Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They used to be the Dublin school of grinds and just did grinds I think, but are now a full time school and have rebranded to the Dublin Academy and extended afaik. A lot of them go to Flyefit as well so it is a good relationship/location bringing business in for the gym.

The Odeon is shockingly expensive - last time I looked up a film at 3pm on a Monday it was approx €12 - crazy at that time of the day.

Santa's Grotto has opened in the old Tesco hardware in Stillorgan SC :D Expect they'll do some good business in the first few weeks but not sure if they'll last long...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Feast restaurant in dun laoighre has closed. A shame they looked like they put a lot of money into doing it up. Reviews were good too.
    Giddy goose is for sale.
    Newish restaurant open above conways pub in blackrock. Ruchi an Indian. I think the chef may have worked in rasam. The wine list is brilliant for an Indian and food that I've had is excellent. It also does a great early bird and takeaway. I hope it does well.
    There's a new art gallery opened in booterstown the stone step gallery where the pink sweet shop used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

bleary wrote: »
    Feast restaurant in dun laoighre has closed. A shame they looked like they put a lot of money into doing it up. Reviews were good too.

They relocated to Dublin 2 (8?) a while ago:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant-reviews/feast-a-tasty-move-from-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-to-central-dublin-1.3643421

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They have moved into the city centre - Golden Lane I think, so a success story (even if not good news for DL!)

They used to be the Dublin school of grinds and just did grinds I think, but are now a full time school and have rebranded to the Dublin Academy and extended afaik. A lot of them go to Flyefit as well so it is a good relationship/location bringing business in for the gym.

The Odeon is shockingly expensive - last time I looked up a film at 3pm on a Monday it was approx €12 - crazy at that time of the day.

They offer it half price on a Wesnesday night I believe. I agree it's a pretty awful cinema last I was there I ended up with a sore neck trying to see over the person in front of me. I generally go to Dun Laoghaire, Dundrum or better still the Lighthouse in Smithfield.

The one thing I'll give it it's generally quite clean compared to Dun Laoghaire which is often a bit rough around the edges with slashed seats etc. The grinds school has been quite busy for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

New test centre is meant to be opening on Pottery Road in January

Testing for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

coylemj wrote: »
    Testing for what?

Car and motorcycle driving tests

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They offer it half price on a Wesnesday night I believe. I agree it's a pretty awful cinema last I was there I ended up with a sore neck trying to see over the person in front of me. I generally go to Dun Laoghaire, Dundrum or better still the Lighthouse in Smithfield.

The one thing I'll give it it's generally quite clean compared to Dun Laoghaire which is often a bit rough around the edges with slashed seats etc. The grinds school has been quite busy for a while now.
    The sound in Dun Laoghaire is awful. I stopped going there because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yeah Flyefit are doing the first hour for free, and then the next hour for 1 euro. I would say LIDL might do the same with a purchase over X, but probably not the cinema as I'd say the average parking visit is probably over 2 hours there, so it would be a lot to cover the average cinema trip. However most people are probably in and out of LIDL in under an hour.

Dublin Meat Company seem to do good business there too, but it's probably from people already parked there for LIDL, the gym etc. rather than people going just for the butchers.

Parking charges start on Monday 3rd December. I asked the Lidl staff on last Friday night if they had any plans to validate tickets for customers and was told that they have not been told anything by head office so at this late stage it is unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not too on topic, but both super valu and lidl in deansgrange seem to be employing a new group of security the lads couple of weeks, but the guys they have are basically teenagers.

One guy in SV, seems like he'd rather be home playing dungeons and dragons.

I know Lidl had them periodically but they seem to be in all the time the last couple of weeks.

Not too on topic, but both super valu and lidl in deansgrange seem to be employing a new group of security the lads couple of weeks, but the guys they have are basically teenagers.

One guy in SV, seems like he'd rather be home playing dungeons and dragons.

I know Lidl had them periodically but they seem to be in all the time the last couple of weeks.

There must be an increase in robbing going on. There does seem to be security in Lidl but not always but I've never seen security in Supervalu.

ted1 wrote: »
    The sound in Dun Laoghaire is awful. I stopped going there because of it

Once you’ve sat in a comfy sofa, put your feet up and sunk a beer, no cinema comes anywhere near Stella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Aegir wrote: »
    Once you’ve sat in a comfy sofa, put your feet up and sunk a beer, no cinema comes anywhere near Stella!

Sound in the Stella is pretty bad too.

Permission has been granted for development at the Union Cafe site in Mount Merrion I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sound in the Stella is pretty bad too.
    I like the stella a lot...but it is pricey to say the least....the lighthouse would be my go to.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I like the stella a lot...but it is pricey to say the least....the lighthouse would be my go to.

Haven't been to the Stella yet myself. I agree that the Lighthouse is an excellent cinema, I find Dundrum the best of the multiplexes in South County Dublin, DL is alright but Stillorgan is awful. The only place worse than Stillorgan is the IFI which has plenty of good films that wouldn't be in most cinemas but the screens are awful and the place is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Elephant and Castle (Temple Bar restaurant) opening soon beside Café du Journal in Monkstown.

Notices on the windows inviting job applications ... monkstown at elephantandcastle dot ie

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Aegir wrote: »

No where comes near it price wise either. 25 quid for the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Giddy goose is for sale.

Two places on the same corner. And isn't Gilbert & Wrights for sale too?
    Feast was nice. Had brunch there a couple of times. They had reduced down to opening Thurs-Sat I think. I remember reading an article where the owner complained that people in Dun Laoghaire were looking for sandwiches rather than gourmet meals on their lunch break. Seemed a bit snobby but best of luck to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its 19 euro for a standard seat.

It is really expensive no doubt about it, especially when lighthouse is 9/10 euro pretty much all the time.

Think of it like getting a cab instead of the bus. You end up with the same net result, but the more expensive option is far more enjoyable and worth doing every now and then as a little treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

coylemj wrote: »
    Elephant and Castle (Temple Bar restaurant) opening soon beside Café du Journal in Monkstown.

Notices on the windows inviting job applications ... monkstown at elephantandcastle dot ie

This and places mentioned above (union Cafe and Stella) all part of the press up group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're opening elephant and castle opposite the Stella in Rathmines too

This and places mentioned above (union Cafe and Stella) all part of the press up group.

Anytime I've ever eaten in any Press Up establishments I have found the food bland, overpriced and the place thoroughly lacking in any atmosphere. Dollard and Co was undoubtedly the worst mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Bookstation is officially back open in Frascati SC this week.

There also has been loads of progress being made for the new Pamela Scott unit yesterday. I'm not sure if the new shop has opened yet.

Advertisement