Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Mr vape in rathmines.

i loved that shop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Uncle Tom's Cabin - a real landmark pub that has been part of Dundrum for all of my lifetime - is up for sale for property development.

https://news.cbre.ie/landmark-uncle-toms-cabin-for-sale/

Awful shame if the music gigs there don't find a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Heard the Magic Carpet is going up for sale

Only ever heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

will it remain trading as a pub as I was surprised Bakers wasn't redeveloped when it was sold.
    I reckon they would always get business even if in a poor state, as it is within walking distance to so many housing estates. Other pubs are fair bit away, like the horse & hound and the grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The bar is still the same as it's always been it was just the lounge that got revamped and yes the bar is still a kip. As for it being sold it's just something I heard from the grapevine who says it should be listed in next weeks Irish Times. I'd be interested to see what's going to be done with it if it is sold if they're going to sell it of for development or will it remain trading as a pub as I was surprised Bakers wasn't redeveloped when it was sold.

I thought they had started making changes to Bakers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I thought they had started making changes to Bakers?

I was just saying that I was surprised that Bakers wasn't redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Uncle Tom's Cabin - a real landmark pub that has been part of Dundrum for all of my lifetime - is up for sale for property development.

https://news.cbre.ie/landmark-uncle-toms-cabin-for-sale/

Awful shame if the music gigs there don't find a good home.

Nobody in the area will be sorry to see this place close.
    It has the ambience of a funeral parlour.
    Sooner it is flattened, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Golden Ball in Kilternan closed (temporarily) again.

Not enough customers. Nobody wants to drive to a pub just for food. Simple business decision, not an investible business they had.
    People want to have alcohol in a pub, not just food.

Reminds of the time, a drunken family dinner in that pub. My uncle was cutting through a chicken breast, and found a bone in it.
    He picked it up, f*cked it over his shoulder, landed on another person's table. Yes, really. I think it was called Palmers back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Golden Ball in Kilternan closed (temporarily) again.
    Farmer browns have taking it over and are opening shortly
    https://www.farmerbrowns.ie

• Advertisement

Not enough customers. Nobody wants to drive to a pub just for food. Simple business decision, not an investible business they had.
    People want to have alcohol in a pub, not just food.

Reminds of the time, a drunken family dinner in that pub. My uncle was cutting through a chicken breast, and found a bone in it.
    He picked it up, f*cked it over his shoulder, landed on another person's table. Yes, really. I think it was called Palmers back then.
    I think you’ll find farmer browns will disagree with you.

I think you will find it closed again, in 6 months time. I know this area well.

I think you will find it closed again, in 6 months time. I know this area well.
    I reckon you don’t know the area or the hospitality industry as well as you think you do.

With the stink driving laws pubs can’t stay open especially ones that people need a car to drive too. Food is where it’s at.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ted1 wrote: »
    Farmer browns have taking it over and are opening shortly
    https://www.farmerbrowns.ie

I know yeah - that's why I said temporarily.

Farmer Brown's currently operate what was O' Sheas in Clonskeagh (also owned by Greg Kavanagh) and somewhere in Rathmines I think so no surprise they're moving up to The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I know yeah - that's why I said temporarily.

Farmer Brown's currently operate what was O' Sheas in Clonskeagh (also owned by Greg Kavanagh) and somewhere in Rathmines I think so no surprise they're moving up to The Ball.

They are also on Bath Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nobody in the area will be sorry to see this place close.
    It has the ambience of a funeral parlour.
    Sooner it is flattened, the better.
    Speak for yourself. I've had some great nights there, decent service, nice outdoor area, good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It's only a proposal for now. However, Centra in Dalkey looks like it is due for another massive overhaul. According to the plans below, it appears as though it will revert back to being Barnhill Supply Stores Limited:

http://dms.dlrcoco.ie/Exe/ZyNET.exe?ZyAction=ZyActionD&Client=planning&Index=Planning%20Ext&Docs=&Query=fname=%22Q001RM7T.txt%22&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1&TocRestrict=&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=Ref%5FNo%5E%22D19A%2F0055%22&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&UseQField=Ref%5FNo&IntQFieldOp=1&ExtQFieldOp=1&Refine=&XmlQuery=&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h%7C-&ResultOffset=0&MaximumDocuments=15&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g16/r75g16/x150y150g16/i500&Display=hpfrw&DefSeekPage=f&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=-1&ZyEntry=1&SeekPage=f&Doc=%3Cdocument%20name%3D%22Q001RM7T.txt%22%20path%3D%22D%3A%5CZYLAB%20DATA%5CINDEX%20DATA%5CPLANEXT%5CTXT%5C24174%5CTXT%5C2019%5C00000000%5C%22%20index%3D%22Planning%20Ext%22%2F%3E

Also, the proposed Ground Floor Plan implies that it will be along similar lines to Avoca or Cavistons in that it is going to be more of a niche type shop with delicatessen, butcher, dry goods, cheese & charcuterie, fresh produce and wine with self-service tills.

Finally, there will be a dumb waiter used to move items to an in-house kitchen on the first floor.

It's only a proposal for now. However, Centra in Dalkey looks like it is due for another massive overhaul. According to the plans below, it appears as though it will revert back to being Barnhill Supply Stores Limited:

Also, the proposed Ground Floor Plan implies that it will be along similar lines to Avoca or Cavistons in that it is going to be more of a niche type shop with delicatessen, butcher, dry goods, cheese & charcuterie, fresh produce and wine with self-service tills.

Finally, there will be a dumb waiter used to move items to an in-house kitchen on the first floor.

So they are knocking in to what was the Florists (that is now in the old Wine Buff shop in Sandycove).

it looks interesting, but it does have a tendency to cause absolute chaos there at times with deliveries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ernst Jones in Dundrum has shut up shop...another nasty UK retailer bites the dust. Hopefully the staff get redeployed to other stores or get sorted elsewhere.

Dundrum sign already says a new retailer will open in the space soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Ernst Jones in Dundrum has shut up shop...another nasty UK retailer bites the dust. Hopefully the staff get redeployed to other stores or get sorted elsewhere.

Not surprised. At the wrong end of the shopping centre tucked away in a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Not surprised. At the wrong end of the shopping centre tucked away in a corner.

New retailer is Holland and Barrett supposedly

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

New restaurant looks ready to go in the old post office building in Blackrock. Had a peek through the windows and looked like white tablecloth type. Wish them well.

On another subject, would note that 5 guys doesn't exactly seem to be hopping with young SoCoDo types yet - actually looks miserable empty most times I've seen it (including the weekend). Early days, but doesn't look good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

qb123 wrote: »
    New restaurant looks ready to go in the old post office building in Blackrock. Had a peek through the windows and looked like white tablecloth type. Wish them well.

On another subject, would note that 5 guys doesn't exactly seem to be hopping with young SoCoDo types yet - actually looks miserable empty most times I've seen it (including the weekend). Early days, but doesn't look good for them.

I heard that there is a new place called little forest opening, connected with forest and macy

qb123 wrote: »

The centre still looks like a building site. It might take some time. Personally I don’t rate five guys or Nando’s both over priced and food isn’t great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Seems like they are pulling out of Ireland altogether - they've shut their Blanch store also and all the H Samuels (their sister chain) seem to be closing one by one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Sort of off-topic. But, although I love finally having an Aldi near me and love how much difference it has already made to our shopping budget, I am slightly bemused by the lack of self-service checkouts in the Blackrock store.

I was in there this morning and there were 5 of us queueing and no one had more than three items. When I asked a member of staff about it in passing he said there were no plans to put any in.

I wonder is this policy in all Aldis? A small complaint to be fair. Otherwise very happy with the place.

JayRoc wrote: »
    Sort of off-topic. But, although I love finally having an Aldi near me and love how much difference it has already made to our shopping budget, I am slightly bemused by the lack of self-service checkouts in the Blackrock store.

I was in there this morning and there were 5 of us queueing and no one had more than three items. When I asked a member of staff about it in passing he said there were no plans to put any in.

I wonder is this policy in all Aldis? A small complaint to be fair. Otherwise very happy with the place.

The check outs are super fast. 5 people its not much of a q. It’s like having 1 person in front of you in Tesco.

Their stores are copy and paste so if course it’s standard policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The check outs are super fast. 5 people its not much of a q. It’s like having 1 person in front of you in Tesco.

Fair enough. Wouldn't really have shopped in one before so not familiar with the model but I know they try to keep staff levels to a minimum to keep costs down...and I would have thought self-service checkouts would be in keeping with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think it is odd too, I think some might have self service though. I have walked out of lidl deansgrange quite a few times, or turned around immediately when I spot the queues from outside, supervalu is just over the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Actually I find the lack of self-check or express tills annoying.

A lot of people tend to do a weekly/large shop in Aldi and I live on my own so usually only get 5 or 6 things. I am often stuck behind 3 or 4 people will jammed trolleys - even if it is quicker than other supermarkets with the same queues it is frustrating if you have just popped in for a couple of things imo. I also find the staff on the Blackrock tills are actually pretty chatty (in a nice way) so not as speedy as other branches where they rush you through sometimes without pausing for breath. I wonder if it is to compete with SV's till chat across the road?

Advertisement