Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it is odd too, I think some might have self service though. I have walked out of lidl deansgrange quite a few times, or turned around immediately when I spot the queues from outside, supervalu is just over the road.

That’s a Lidl not an Aldi, SuperValus is much more expensive. The q’s move really fast and they do open extra check outs when q’s build.

The queues in Aldi Sallynoggin move very quickly and if a belt is filled up, they quickly put on another till.

If i do a big shop though, I always go to Tesco now. It has everything i want (I can't say that about Aldi or Lidl) and they also do the brilliant scan as you shop thingy, which is awesome.

Aegir wrote: »
    they also do the brilliant scan as you shop thingy, which is awesome.
    Mad to think it is the Same thing superquinn had 20+ years ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Go to any Tesco's with self service checkouts and see the greedy and socially malcontent with baskets crammed full of items taking their sweet time to scan and bag the stuff. Even there you'd be quicker going to the normal checkout if you just had three items.

ted1 wrote: »
    Mad to think it is the Same thing superquinn had 20+ years ago

it has taken time to Tesco to adopt it, i agree. I used it in Sainsburys before I moved to Ireland and loved it. They had special baskets you could buy and stack your groceries in as you went around the shop. If you got caught for a re-scan though, they did the whole trolley and not just a few items like Tesco do.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Small shop owner, who is not as bad as some make out, will simply not have the funds for such action.

Also. Comparing a small retail development to a massive data centre is ridiculous. Zoning is already there. Current planning permits bar and restaurant, so lets not go down the "catastrophe syndrome" route on this

......... and you were saying?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/shopping-centre-expansion-plan-blocked-g6b6x32bq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The good old Magic Carpet. I remember it being a regular haunt for after work drinks when working in Cornelscourt back in the Summer of 2005.

It had a job done about 3 years later which took away its old world "charm"!

The refurb was akin to that done with McDonaghs Pub in Dalkey when it was transformed into The Ivory (and briefly Patrick Ivory) before it reverted back to McDonaghs. The place went south very quickly after that!

In any case, I hope that the Magic Carpet doesn't get transformed into a purely residential development. It still has plenty of promise given its prime location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The good old Magic Carpet. I remember it being a regular haunt for after work drinks when working in Cornelscourt back in the Summer of 2005.

It had a job done about 3 years later which took away its old world "charm"!

The refurb was akin to that done with McDonaghs Pub in Dalkey when it was transformed into The Ivory (and briefly Patrick Ivory) before it reverted back to McDonaghs. The place went south very quickly after that!

In any case, I hope that the Magic Carpet doesn't get transformed into a purely residential development. It still has plenty of promise given its prime location.

The bar still has it's old world charm that you talk about as revamp never touched as only the lounge was done up. It was and still is a bit of a dump but with that being said I always thought it has a nicer vibe than the Horse and Hound down in Cabinteely Village and they always poured a good pint.

I'd be very surprised if it was kept up as a pub in it's current form unless of course there is trouble with planning permission as the site is huge. An apartment development may have ground floor retail space which may include some form of licensed premises which would probably be a bar/restaurant.

I would say the the off sales licence will be transferred to the Londis shop which only has a wine licence at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hard to imagine it operating as a pub if someone buy it for 12m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hard to imagine it operating as a pub if someone buy it for 12m

Like the Belgard Inn in Tallaght and Bradys in Castlenock, pub sites are far more valuable to be redeveloped as apartment blocks (permission of which has been granted for those two locations to redevelop as residential) which no doubt will be the same intention here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Belgard Inn is becoming a Lidl, with a remaining pub on site; not residential. But every pub on a large site in an in-demand area is under threat, happens every time there's a boom. Deerpark Lounge in Clonkeagh was an early victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

L1011 wrote: »
    The Belgard Inn is becoming a Lidl, with a remaining pub on site; not residential. But every pub on a large site in an in-demand area is under threat, happens every time there's a boom. Deerpark Lounge in Clonkeagh was an early victim.

Interesting, the likes of Ahernes with the large and mostly unused carpark at the back and maybe even The Mill could be up for grabs?

I recall a few years ago there was some planning dispute with opening a late bar on the Ahernes site. I know the residents around there are quick to complain if there's excessive noise etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically. The Old Mill is owned by Louis Fitzgerald still I think, who'd be more likely to handle any redevelopment himself

They higher the land value the bigger the opportunity cost of having large carparks etc.

Pet Tales in Deansgrange is gone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New gym opening in Belarmine, Stepaside next month

https://www.energiefitness.com/stepaside

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

L1011 wrote: »

Loved the Deerpark....great boozer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Elephant and Castle opening in Monkstown on Monday.

Brambles gone from DL library new cafe going in. Also work is being done on the old Hen House and Little Cabana unit in DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Elephant and Castle opening in Monkstown on Monday.

Not sure if E & C is a good fit for Monkstown. I don't live there but I do pop in to Cafe du Journal now and again, it's right next door to the new E & C and the clientele is very much of the grey hair variety with the odd young mother and buggy. Can't see any of them moving next door and ordering burgers or buckets of wings.

Will E & C attract a younger crowd to the area? Maybe in the evenings but I can see this new branch being very quiet in the daytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Brambles gone from DL library new cafe going in. Also work is being done on the old Hen House and Little Cabana unit in DL.

Hope they go from Cabinteely Park too, expensive and food not good. Was a much better cafe before they took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

mollser wrote: »
    Hope they go from Cabinteely Park too, expensive and food not good. Was a much better cafe before they took over.

Well over a fiver for a coffee and scone

mollser wrote: »

Was in the national museum yesterday with the kids. 3 cartons of juice ( cheap ones) and a bottle of coke for 12.50. They are taking the piss. Would prefer to see one off owner run places in public buildings and facilities.

Was in the national museum yesterday with the kids. 3 cartons of juice ( cheap ones) and a bottle of coke for 12.50. They are taking the piss. Would prefer to see one off owner run places in public buildings and facilities.

The cafes in many of the museums in public museums and galleries are pretty awful and over priced also. Must leave a bad impression for tourists.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The cafes in many of the museums in public museums and galleries are pretty awful and over priced also. Must leave a bad impression for tourists.

It does , what also left a bad taste is Apocca charging 5.40 via their app for parking that costs 5.

The worse is that museums are free and you have private companies creaming it.

It’s a great museum in Collins barracks and well worth spending a few hours the kids love it , tanks, planes and much more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It does , what also left a bad taste is Apocca charging 5.40 via their app for parking that costs 5.

The worse is that museums are free and you have private companies creaming it.

It’s a great museum in Collins barracks and well worth spending a few hours the kids love it , tanks, planes and much more

Well what is stopping you from opening a coffee shop if you think you can do do it cheaper?

Chinasea wrote: »
    Well what is stopping you from opening a coffee shop if you think you can do do it cheaper?

I’m going to be honest it’s My lack of tolerance for dealing with the general public.

Sole traders can do it cheaper they work the shops themselves and the menu won’t be the same as every other place that you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Is the shops profits go to the museum directly or is it a private enterprise. If it’s the former then as admission is free they may need to make money for upkeep etc.

If latter, then rent may be high due to former. But I don’t think you can complain about somewhere that is so cool and is free. I know in hindsight you would probably have brought drinks with you but if it all went to the museum then drinks and the museum for 12.50 is great value. But I do understand it’s ridiculously expensive and must have been an error. Max I’ve seen coke in a pub is 3 so if it was that (which it couldn’t be) then over 3 quid for juice is extortion.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is the shops profits go to the museum directly or is it a private enterprise. If it’s the former then as admission is free they may need to make money for upkeep etc.

If latter, then rent may be high due to former. But I don’t think you can complain about somewhere that is so cool and is free. I know in hindsight you would probably have brought drinks with you but if it all went to the museum then drinks and the museum for 12.50 is great value. But I do understand it’s ridiculously expensive and must have been an error. Max I’ve seen coke in a pub is 3 so if it was that (which it couldn’t be) then over 3 quid for juice is extortion.
    It’s just regular brambles pricing. Money goes to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m going to be honest it’s My lack of tolerance for dealing with the general public.

Sole traders can do it cheaper they work the shops themselves and the menu won’t be the same as every other place that you go to.

Large chains will benefit from economies of scale - able to buy supplies at lower rates, able to have people in head office who can write the proposals to get the concession every 2 or 3 years, able to move staff between venues to cover emergencies etc.

It’s just regular brambles pricing. Money goes to them.
    It's a bit of both. Yes, the money goes into the Brambles till initially, but they do pay a fee to the venue. The venue will tender the concession every three years or so, and will give the concession to whoever offers them the best deal, subject to some conditions, usually including pricing. Here's an example of one tender from a few years back.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=69725&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Advertisement