Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Another victim is Three Beans Cafe Cabinteely also londis in Cabinteely was closed for little while around christmas only to reopen as The Olive Branch a bit of a stupid name for a convience store/newsagent sounds more like a meditaraen restaurant or sumtin

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Noticed that Book Deals, a discount bookstore has opened on Blackrock's Main Street, next to Diep. Not exactly Waterstones, but better than another vacant shopfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

New restaurant in Malahide Village -already cut it's days & opening times in half.
    Juice /healthy food shop closed -next street.
    New health food shop " humming bird" opened & closed within 3 months.
    Second full cafe closed on the parallel road -nothing there now.
    Gift & bookshop in the arcade -closed & unit still empty.
    " new" second hand shop in first floor of arcade now shut & unit stil to let.
    Children's clothes shop in arcade now closed & unit still to rent.
    Cafe under Supervalue was under new ownership & totally revived -saw shutters pulled down & final closure note in the window last week.
    Wholesale butchers in same area -shut down late last year & unit boarded up.
    Old head shop -unit still empty.
    Etc.
    All within 2or 3 streets of a small village area.

Seems thriving businesses are banks, bookies & choppers/chineesers. ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Saw that the old greengrocers on ballinteer avenue has been reopened - don't know if it's same management or brand new business but it's another greengrocers. Great news for ballinteer. Superquinn fruit and veg is lovely - but mighty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Pagoda on the top floor of Dún Laoghaire shopping centre have a 'closing down' sale going on at the moment. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Pagoda on the top floor of Dún Laoghaire shopping centre have a 'closing down' sale going on at the moment. :(

On and off they have had a closing down sale for the last 10 years....
    :rolleyes:

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

davej wrote: »
    On and off they have had a closing down sale for the last 10 years....
    :rolleyes:

davej

At least twenty!!!!

Oops.. Not somewhere I frequent too often so wasn't aware of that.

The Motion Picture closing down sale seems to be going on for a while too.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that's nothing, there was a place on Liffey Street in town called Blue Grass, their closing down sale lasted about 10 years straight.

Clothes shop Golden Spiderweb has closed on Blackrock main street, another empty shop front. They're still in Stillorgan SC apparently. The SC is actually almost thriving these days, since Donnybrook Fair and Starbucks moved in. Often difficult to get parking there at the weekends without resorting to the overflow car park. Big change from a few years back when demolition was being mooted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It was because of the redevelopment potential that leases weren't being renewed. I don't think demand ever really waned for Stillorgan SC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Why Starbucks never set up shop in DL I'll never understand? If they got into that strip along by Byrnes & Medows, they'd cream it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

Insomnia is opening a café in the former AIB in Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Reader's Bookshop in Dun Laoghaire are selling every book they have in stock for €2 each.

The place filled up greatly as I passed it over the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Closing this Saturday (you can even buy the shelving after that date!). I had a good browse around, but found no hidden gems.

Hmv is to reopen 4 shops which is great news as they always had good stores. Also i saw that the one in dundrum has been used as a walkway to the cinema section kinda depressing though walking through an empty shop in dundrum as well i saw a new shop will be opening opposite the carphone warhouse.
    I never why dere was no burger king in dundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spidermensch

Clothes shop Golden Spiderweb has closed on Blackrock main street, another empty shop front. They're still in Stillorgan SC apparently. The SC is actually almost thriving these days, since Donnybrook Fair and Starbucks moved in. Often difficult to get parking there at the weekends without resorting to the overflow car park. Big change from a few years back when demolition was being mooted.

It'll always be stillorgan shopping centre to me, none of this pretentious 'village' bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hungry Bear café behind The Square in Tallaght closed down.

Surprising as it was always busy.

'Cooper & Young' (I think - Google returns nothing) Grocers opening in the former Corrig Stores.

There's a sign in the window with an email address for CV's.

They did a lot of work on the place by the looks of things. There is still the issue of no parking which seems detrimental to me.

Clodagh’s Kitchen restaurant/wine bar has opened in Blackrock Shopping Centre.

http://www.clodaghmckenna.com/news/?p=616

• Advertisement

'Cooper & Young' (I think - Google returns nothing) Grocers opening in the former Corrig Stores.

There's a sign in the window with an email address for CV's.

They did a lot of work on the place by the looks of things. There is still the issue of no parking which seems detrimental to me.

http://www.cooperandyoung.ie/

They've done a hell of a renovation here. Looks really good from the outside. Assumed they were a chain or at least had multiple stores. Appears not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If they are good quality they should do well from their immediate locality, best of luck to them!

Theres a big sweep of an area though now with no convenience store in it, between Monkstown village, Mounttown York Road all the streets off Tivoli and on to the back of Glasthule and Glenageary towards Dalkey. Not a single local shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bellevue stores has closed as well. I would imagine the two Centras at Glenageary and Barnhill are taking a lot of local trade.

Pity about Bellevue Stores, it surprises me as again its in the middle of a well off residential area and no other shops between the two Centra and Killiney SC. Maybe it needs a glam up job with franchise attractions to do any good

By the way, theres a Tesco Express to be built on the Glenageary Road in the Golf Club development, work is underway. That should badly affect the Monkstown Farm shops as well as Centra Glenageary roundabout

This might be a little off topic but the magic chef in stillorgan changed its name 2 andi's funny thing is its only a temopary sign and it says pizzaria instead of pizzeria

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Georges toy shop (knowles electrical) ceased.

Georges toy shop (knowles electrical) ceased.

Months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know what they replacing the petrol station with in Templeogue Village?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're making it bigger

Advertisement