Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Large chains will benefit from economies of scale - able to buy supplies at lower rates, able to have people in head office who can write the proposals to get the concession every 2 or 3 years, able to move staff between venues to cover emergencies etc.

It's a bit of both. Yes, the money goes into the Brambles till initially, but they do pay a fee to the venue. The venue will tender the concession every three years or so, and will give the concession to whoever offers them the best deal, subject to some conditions, usually including pricing. Here's an example of one tender from a few years back.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=69725&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Large chains benefit, but smaller independent store benefit from having to provide a profit to less people. They are generally managed by the owner. So instead of paying a manager 50K and looking for a 100K profit they can pay themselves 100K , thus 50K cheaper.

Also economies of scale aren’t that much with cafes.
    They all shop in musgraves etc. Except the local cafe should be making food fresh on premises, brambles have to pay rent in a warehouse to produce goods and then pay additionally to distribute them.

They tenders rarely stipulate a maximum price or mark up.

The benefit of local owner run one is u can go to various tourist attractions , parks, museums and experience different menus that aren’t mass produced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The former Hamleys unit in Dundrum is to become a bowling alley, cocktail bar and diner called 'Stella Bowl' operated by the Press Up group. Ironic considering Dundrum Bowl was previously on the current site of the shopping centre until 1993.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/press-up-to-bring-a-bowling-alley-to-dundrum-1.3808266

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do enough people still bowl to pay the rent on a space like that?

Thargor wrote: »

Well it will be opening up as part of a wider complex that will include a cocktail bar and a restaurant. They might be trying to market the bowling as something considered trendy and as a different expierence than what you'd find at the likes of Lesisureplex or Bray Bowl.

It will be interesting to see how it does I haven't really impressed with what I've found at any other Press Up venues myself personally.

Thargor wrote: »

It’s only 8 lanes. So doesn’t take up much room. If they charge 19 euro for the cinema I’m sure they won’t be charging bray bowl prices.

They also announced that they are opening a 5 screen Stella cinema and an elephant and castle in bray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I certainly hope it's better than the Stella cinema they opened in Ranelagh underneath the Devlin hotel. For anyone who's never been, it's nothing like the one in Rathmines.

I quite like their new Union Cafe in Sandyford. Horrendously overpriced, but fine as a payday treat and some of their food is really lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Carphone Warehouse has closed in the Dun Laoghaire SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse has closed in the Dun Laoghaire SC.

this is a list of what is supposedly there. A lot more than I thought

https://dlsc.ie/directory-a-z/

Absolutely Fabulous Cards
    Allcare Pharmacy
    Art & Hobby Shop
    BB’s Coffee & Muffins
    Carphone Warehouse
    Centra
    Coastal Hair & Beauty
    The Barber Shop
    Dempsey & Byrne Craft Butchers
    Dubray Books
    EIR
    Fixaphone
    Flower Lane
    Flying Tiger Copenhagen
    Glamorous
    Golden Discs
    Harry’s Grab and Go.
    Holland & Barrett
    Images
    Imperial Gifts
    Ladbrokes
    Laptop Lab
    Lifestyle Sports
    Lloyds Pharmacy
    New Look
    O’Briens Sandwich Bar
    O’Connor Opticians
    The Kiosk
    Peter Mark
    Shoe lane Coffee
    Solemate
    Specsavers Opticians
    SuperValu
    Sweet Moments
    The Pen Place
    The Vaping Shed
    Trespass
    Ulster Bank
    Vodafone
    Zip Cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember growing up in the 80s we had a Geography book in primary school and it had a picture of the interior of Dun Laoghaire SC showing the multi-level floors and I thought (as a culchie) it looked so amazing and futuristic. I suppose back in the day (pre Dundrum, Blanch, Jervis and even the Square), it was considered one of the premier shopping centres in the country!

The half empty floors (particularly the upper floor) now give off a depressed, recession in full swing type vibe even though the Irish economy is actually booming!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pizza republic is still closed. Its a long time past their original estimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ongarboy wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire SC showing the multi-level floors and I thought (as a culchie) it looked so amazing and futuristic.
    saw it in The Snapper on tv the other night

I forgot boylans shoes being the the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bannons jewellers of Bray opening up in the new Frascati just inside the main entrance

I noticed work was being done on the old O'Briens unit in Stillorgan last day I was there anyone know what's going in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Boston Barber's Bar has now moved upstairs to the top floor of Blackrock SC.

https://twitter.com/blackrockcentr/status/1101069723255611393

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ongarboy wrote: »
    The half empty floors (particularly the upper floor) now give off a depressed, recession in full swing type vibe even though the Irish economy is actually booming!

They do alright and it is, but retail isn't booming anywhere.

A reckoning is coming on the future of high street retail, in 20 years High Street and Shopping Centre Units, such as they are by then will be for personal experiences and services, food and beverages and certain perishables. Residences and workspaces will return to locations you now regard as shopping streets.

Boston Barber's Bar has now moved upstairs to the top floor

Is the unit that they were occupying on the ground floor being gotten rid of I wonder with the centre redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A reckoning is coming on the future of high street retail, in 20 years High Street and Shopping Centre Units, such as they are by then will be for personal experiences and services, food and beverages and certain perishables. Residences and workspaces will return to locations you now regard as shopping streets.

Saw something interesting in India on my last trip. A shopping mall has been entirely taking over by Amazon for use as an office. The restaurants in the mall will be used as canteens/restaurants while the shops will be converted into working spaces.

When you consider that parking is generally available and public transport links often quite good for shopping centres, it will propbably become quite a common pattern.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Is the unit that they were occupying on the ground floor being gotten rid of I wonder with the centre redevelopment.

I think the shop's old unit downstairs near the toilets will be knocked down soon. When looking at the artist impressions of the refurbished centre; it included plans to upgrade the single escalator near the florist upstairs to a double escalator in future. There is another double escalator being planned to be built outside Holland & Barrett & Fuji film.

I was in Frascati SC & Blackrock SC yesterday. There was a big sign beside Bookstation in Frascati to say that Kay's Kitchen, Cáfe Nero & Peter Marks will be opening upstairs in their new atrium building soon. The new tech store moving into Frascati soon is called Murray Mobile Tech. The desk for job applications in Frascati is located outside Vodafone. Bannon Jewellers are still having their closing down sale. There is a big sign to say that will be moving in beside McDonalds.

Blackrock SC is having more upgrade work getting done this week. The space outside the toilet's is getting some work too with a red cordon around the old barber shop unit on the ground floor. The huge old photograph/painting of Blackrock Main St has been scrubbed off or painted over on the wall. A replacement photograph is now located near the escalators on the ground floor. There has been more work done in the car park outside the SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Site clearance work has started on the old Blake's site in Stillorgan. They've taken down the fence that was wrapped around the premises to segregate it from the car park and lot of trees and bushes have been cut down. Demolition crew could be moving in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

coylemj wrote: »
    Site clearance work has started on the old Blake's site in Stillorgan. They've taken down the fence that was wrapped around the premises to segregate it from the car park and lot of trees and bushes have been cut down. Demolition crew could be moving in soon.

Was that Bondi Beach back in the day?

JayRoc wrote: »
    Was that Bondi Beach back in the day?

Back in the day it was Blake’s. It then became bondi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's going in there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What's going in there now?

Monstrous 9 storey student accommodation for 600+ students. Will be disastrous to the area.

[url] https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/cairn-homes-plans-for-stillorgan-a-monstrosity-1.3389794[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Monstrous 9 storey student accommodation for 600+ students. Will be disastrous to the area.

[url] https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/cairn-homes-plans-for-stillorgan-a-monstrosity-1.3389794[/url]

jesus some of the quotes in that are laughable, boyd barrett speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

its stillorgan village not some beauty spot, its better than whats there right now and student accommodation is in short supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/cairn-homes-plans-for-stillorgan-a-monstrosity-1.3389794

Why will it be disastrous to the area? 600+ students will spend loads of money in the local shops. I'd say the cinema, local restaurants, and shopping center are delighted.

Having a huge chunk of valuable land like that sit idle for years while we're in the midst of a housing crisis in Dublin was an absolute crime, it should have been built on long before now.

What exactly would you rather be built there?

I don't have problem with them building apartments there but if it's students I hope there won't be any trouble with them. For example look at what happens in UCD with the buses refusing to stop there.

Why ? I think it’ll add to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ted1 wrote: »
    Why ? I think it’ll add to the area.

Totally agree. Good transport links and as it is student accommodation (with little or no parking I presume) it won't even negatively affect traffic too much. An increase in footfall in the shopping centre could see more high profile stores opening too, more jobs etc. I think it will add an injection of business into the whole area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't have problem with them building apartments there but if it's students I hope there won't be any trouble with them. For example look at what happens in UCD with the buses refusing to stop there.

'Students = trouble' is a seriously misguided generalisation. The people who caused trouble at the UCD bus stop are possibly not even students.

Advertisement