Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is actually the perfect place for a development of that sort. Most of those very expensive off-campus developments end up being international students, so if marketed correctly the parking situation won't be a problem. You can imagine the closer proximity to Smurfit would increase that ratio of non-driving internationals.

I think Shane Ross needs to look at the amount of 3 and 4 bed houses around are being rented to students and realise if we can get them into halls young families can take accommodation more appropriate to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

Totally agree. Good transport links and as it is student accommodation (with little or no parking I presume) it won't even negatively affect traffic too much. An increase in footfall in the shopping centre could see more high profile stores opening too, more jobs etc. I think it will add an injection of business into the whole area!

Thats why the traffic objections are so ridiculous. Its a) students, who will have far fewer cars than a equivalent apartment complex of professionals, its b) already surrounded by pay & display parking, c) within walking distance of an amazing number of shops and restaurants and d) its located next to the busiest public transport route in Ireland.

Its literally one of the most suitable places in the country for high density apartment living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Blut2 wrote: »

Having a huge chunk of valuable land like that sit idle for years while we're in the midst of a housing crisis in Dublin was an absolute crime, it should have been built on long before now.

What exactly would you rather be built there?

A huge HOLLYWOOD style sign saying NIMBY by the looks of it!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its literally one of the most suitable places in the country for high density apartment living.

As someone who lives relatively local to here I have to agree with you. The price of the land means high density living is the only real option, as any houses built would have to be a crazy price to recover the costs.

You also have Chesterfield up the road on Cross Avenue. This is not for students and will contain a large number of apartments and a small few houses
    https://www.chesterfieldplanning.com/

Is the main objection the fact it is proposed for students or the fact its high density?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is the main objection the fact it is proposed for students or the fact its high density?

In settled neighbourhoods like Stillorgan, any proposed development that is not low-density housing will attract the attention of local politicians looking for an excuse to raise their profile, especially coming up to local elections. The scare story of drunken students running wild at weekends was put about at the time but thankfully, permission was granted.

Of course former Labour T.D. Aodhán Ó Ríordáin has taken NIMBYism to new heights - he leads objections to every proposed development in the area of North Dublin he feels needs him in Dail Eireann after the next general election. His equivocation on planning matters has been exposed by the fact that when builders attempt to engage with him to see WTF it is that he thinks should be built on their undeveloped patch of land (if not what they're applying to build), he refuses to talk to them. Total hypocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

ted1 wrote: »
    Why ? I think it’ll add to the area.

Ah it was more a joke that Bondi Beach will never return! Forgot to add any context :)

As a development it will be great but in the Sandyford/Stillorgan area there is a huge amount of apartment permissions being granted without enough resources to match it. That would my general complaint but that's more towards Sandyford as its great that that specific area is being used as is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just for context, that article referencing the objections and stuff is 14 months old. Permission was granted by An Bord Pleanala in March last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ah it was more a joke that Bondi Beach will never return! Forgot to add any context :)

As a development it will be great but in the Sandyford/Stillorgan area there is a huge amount of apartment permissions being granted without enough resources to match it. That would my general complaint but that's more towards Sandyford as its great that that specific area is being used as is planned.

LUAS, m11, m50, beacon shopping centre , renovation Stillorgan shipping centre, new schools and leisure centre in bsllyogan , planned development of glenalybn pool and stilllirgan library,

Tell me more about this lack of resources

Don’t forget Sandyford was original an industrial estate where people learnt to drive. Any shop or facility there is new

LUAS, m11, m50, beacon shopping centre , renovation Stillorgan shipping centre, new schools and leisure centre in bsllyogan , planned development of glenalybn pool and stilllirgan library,

Tell me more about this lack of resources

Don’t forget Sandyford was original an industrial estate where people learnt to drive. Any shop or facility there is new

Oh no problem, happy to oblige.

There's a complete lack of shopping centres appropriate for the amount of people. Sandyford shopping centres frequently run out of fresh food in the evenings yet the council declines planning permission for them to expand into empty units whilst permitting thousands more apartments in the area.

The luas is already significantly over capacity and people struggle to get on in the mornings past ballaly. Dump another couple of thousand people on the line and see how it goes.

Stillorgan shopping centre renovation, tell me what's actually expanded apart from a proverbial lick of paint.

The N11 and m50 are completely backed up all the time and they're roads not resources. Drop a few more hundred cars on that. You can barely drive through Sandyford at times.

I could go on in significant detail, don't worry. I know my stuff very well about the area having served in a number of functions and living here.

So consider yourself told as per your request.

Oh no problem, happy to oblige.

There's a complete lack of shopping centres appropriate for the amount of people. Sandyford shopping centres frequently run out of fresh food in the evenings yet the council declines planning permission for them to expand into empty units whilst permitting thousands more apartments in the area.

The luas is already significantly over capacity and people struggle to get on in the mornings past ballaly. Dump another couple of thousand people on the line and see how it goes.

Stillorgan shopping centre renovation, tell me what's actually expanded apart from a proverbial lick of paint.

The N11 and m50 are completely backed up all the time and they're roads not resources. Drop a few more hundred cars on that. You can barely drive through Sandyford at times.

I could go on in significant detail, don't worry. I know my stuff very well about the area having served in a number of functions and living here.

So consider yourself told as per your request.

Aldi and Dunnes in the doorstep.
    Dunnes , cornelscourt and ballyogan minutes away by car. Aldi and lido Dundrum not far away and on the LUAS line. Tesco in Dundrum and Stillorgan not to far away.

• Advertisement

Aldi and Dunnes in the doorstep.
    Dunnes , cornelscourt and ballyogan minutes away by car. Aldi and lido Dundrum not far away and on the LUAS line. Tesco in Dundrum and Stillorgan not to far away.

Well done, listing shopping centres is very easy. Do you expect people without cars to lug their shopping on the luas or walk long distances? Because a lot of these apartment blocks have limited car parking. And within short walking distance there are shopping centres that run out of fresh food frequently at the same time when the council refuses permission for shopping centre extensions but allows thousands more homes.

As I mentioned the luas is vastly over capacity as is, there are barely any useful bus routes in the area if you're not at the N11. Try adding a thousand commuters into the area and watch the transport services collapse.

Please stick to talking about things you know rather than listing things from Google maps. Just because something 'exists', doesn't mean it services the area sufficiently.

I could go on and on about how badly resourced the area is but it's best for another thread if you want to keep going because I'm sure nobody wants to hear about it here.

The area is not well enough resourced for the amount of apartments being built, period.

Well done, listing shopping centres is very easy. Do you expect people without cars to lug their shopping on the luas or walk long distances? Because a lot of these apartment blocks have limited car parking. And within short walking distance there are shopping centres that run out of fresh food frequently at the same time when the council refuses permission for shopping centre extensions but allows thousands more homes.

As I mentioned the luas is vastly over capacity as is, there are barely any useful bus routes in the area if you're not at the N11. Try adding a thousand commuters into the area and watch the transport services collapse.

Please stick to talking about things you know rather than listing things from Google maps. Just because something 'exists', doesn't mean it services the area sufficiently.

I could go on and on about how badly resourced the area is but it's best for another thread if you want to keep going because I'm sure nobody wants to hear about it here.

The area is not well enough resourced for the amount of apartments being built, period.

Very easy to carry shopping on the LUAS. However Tesco do deliver and offer a click and collect service in the industrial estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Pure Pharmacy now open where O'Briens used to be in Stillorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

JayRoc wrote: »
    Was that Bondi Beach back in the day?
    Back in the day it was Blake’s. It then became bondi ;)

Right back in the day it was Swiss Chalet, a chicken and coleslaw place way better than Blake's. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Back in the day it was Blake’s. It then became bondi ;)

When they changed it from a family restaurant (Blakes) to a nightclub, it was briefly branded as 'Oasis' but they quickly changed the name to 'Bondi'. I suspect the solicitors for the Oasis fashion store chain sent them a 'cease & desist' letter.

coylemj wrote: »
    When they changed it from a family restaurant (Blakes) to a nightclub, it was briefly branded as 'Oasis' but they quickly changed the name to 'Bondi'. I suspect the solicitors for the Oasis fashion store chain sent them a 'cease & desist' letter.

And then post Bondi they became Burn which closed and reopened one more time as Tribe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see the Blackrock Centre seem to be rebranding a little now as "Blackrock Village Centre" judging by some of the hoardings up over the building works.

They badly need new stores there to beef up the offering. I noticed the coffee shop there Esquires are now closed on Sundays, must not have been doing any business. I hope Dubray, H&B and Vanilla Pod etc. can keep going until the works are finished at least and hopefully some new stores come on board.

The branding/sign is up inside the new Caffe Nero in Frascati so perhaps it is on the way soon enough.
    Debenhams is like a ghost town

And then post Bondi they became Burn which closed and reopened one more time as Tribe! :)

Didn’t bondi move into Zanzibar on the north quays

Didn’t bondi move into Zanzibar on the north quays

Sure did! From what I heard it was in name and branding only, otherwise it was just a bog standard club.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lesiureplex Stilorgan closing to make way for apartments.

Kidspace Rathfarnam closing, they say it's due to a 300% hike on insurance premiums (scam claims etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Lesiureplex Stilorgan closing to make way for apartments.

Kidspace Rathfarnam closing, they say it's due to a 300% hike on insurance premiums (scam claims etc).

When is this happening?
    Knew it was coming as they sold it a couple of years ago

Edit:
    The company is also advancing plans for a development on a 2.2-acre Leisureplex site that it bought for €15m in 2016 in Stillorgan, south Dublin. It remains involved in planning for the site, which it expects to be developed by 2022 and to feature 180 apartments and commercial space.

Kennedy Wilson expects the development cost to be $84m (€74m). The US property group also owns the Stillorgan Shopping Centre directly across the road from the Leisureplex site.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/kennedy-wilson-to-invest-530m-in-irish-projects-37883654.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The Post Office in the Frascati centre closed weeks ago.
    Does anyone know has one reopened, as promised, in a new location.
    Aldi is dead in Frascati, its far too big for this location and there sre too many Aldis snd lidls in this area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

tretorn wrote: »
    The Post Office in the Frascati centre closed weeks ago.
    Does anyone know has one reopened, as promised, in a new location.
    Aldi is dead in Frascati, its far too big for this location and there sre too many Aldis snd lidls in this area now.

New post office will be opening in Supervalu.

This is not the first, and certainly won't be the last. The claims culture here has to change or children will have no where left to play. They can barely run around in the school yard at this stage. It won't be long before pre-schools and creches go the same way, and people complain of childcare costs !

One way of potentially addressing this issue is to cover direct costs (such as medical etc) only, unless there is an overnight stay in hospital required, as signed off by a consultant. Only at that stage should any form of compensation be offered. Minor accidents happen - they are part of life and sometimes no one is to blame for them.

I think the cost of parking is a big factor here for Aldi. All other LIDL's & ALDI's in the area have free parking for 2 hours (or free completely) and therefore why would anyone who is cost sensitive go to the one in Frascatti when it costs. Its not like the produce is any different between the stores.
    And this not even considering the state of the parking - which is still a semi-building site.
    SuperValu across the road reimburse parking on both sides during renovation works - so if you are only getting a few things, Supervalu is a better option !

Those who go to Marks are not as price sensitive in general !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pizza republic is still closed. Its a long time past their original estimate

still closed :(

anyone know whats going on?

One of the units in Bloomfields has Pet Republic signs up, but empty shelves. I presume they are opening there in the not too distant future

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Off topic - this is more suited for Dublin West but boo hiss: Why do Burger King eschew the leafy suburbs of Dublin South?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Any time I've been in Aldi it's been busy! I think it's a great addition to the area!

Advertisement