Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ongarboy wrote: »
    Costa Coffee opening in Shankill. Advertising for staff on indeed.ie

Part of the Lidl complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Part of the Lidl complex?

Yep unit 1. They’ve planning permission in for minor things.

It seemed to be a large N logo iirc, whatever that stands for!

Nunki is the name of the new cafe drove past it today. There were a few Chinese lads in cleaning the windows must be nearly ready to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Nunki is the name of the new cafe drove past it today. There were a few Chinese lads in cleaning the windows must be nearly ready to open.

Cheers for that, interesting. If the giddy goose couldn't make it work anymore I am not sure how long Nunki will last. They would want to be offering either something very unusual/different (a USP like vegan food, or ethical food or whatever) or a brand name franchise that attracts people imo. Hope they do well obviously, but have a feeling we will be here in a year's time saying they have closed down :-(

https://www.facebook.com/nunkiteahouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The new floorplan for level 1 in frascati has a medical centre down for opening soon and also a gym coming soon (as well as F45)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cheers for that, interesting. If the giddy goose couldn't make it work anymore I am not sure how long Nunki will last. They would want to be offering either something very unusual/different (a USP like vegan food, or ethical food or whatever) or a brand name franchise that attracts people imo. Hope they do well obviously, but have a feeling we will be here in a year's time saying they have closed down :-(

At first glance, that FB address looks like 'Nunki Eat House' but it's actually 'Nunki Tea House'. There was a tea room on the old main street in Blackrock (opp. the college) and it closed down a while back so the omens are not good for that type of business in a location with not great footfall.

Who knows, maybe Nunki will become a focal point for the local Chinese community but if they're relying on native customers, I'd give them 6 months max. Even if they plan on a varied menu which includes food, calling it a 'tea house' will put off a lot of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That didn't work out too well for the Maritime Cafe, which I hear is now closed. Sell to as many people as possible is a good starting point in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »

Who knows, maybe Nunki will become a focal point for the local Chinese community but if they're relying on native customers, I'd give them 6 months max. Even if they plan on a varied menu which includes food, calling it a 'tea house' will put off a lot of people.

Jezzus Christ, could you be any more negative. They haven't even opened their doors and the you rain hailstones.

Give them a bloody chance. No need to knock. This is peoples livelihoods that you are simply writing off. Who needs this type of negativity and scoffing.

Would you be happy to see it lie ideal, rot and fester like the Cumberland.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That didn't work out too well for the Maritime Cafe, which I hear is now closed. Sell to as many people as possible is a good starting point in business!

Not sure exactly why they closed but I do remember their standards dropping over the few times I was there. I still think a vegan place would do well in Dun Laoghaire. People will travel for good vegan food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Not sure exactly why they closed but I do remember their standards dropping over the few times I was there. I still think a vegan place would do well in Dun Laoghaire. People will travel for good vegan food.

There used to be a great vegan cafe in the maritime museum (that even I as a meat lover liked!)

Went to look for the name of it online just now to share here but it appears it's closed down.

• Advertisement

At first glance, that FB address looks like 'Nunki Eat House' but it's actually 'Nunki Tea House'. There was a tea room on the old main street in Blackrock (opp. the college) and it closed down a while back so the omens are not good for that type of business in a location with not great footfall.

I don't understand the name Nunki either doesn't really make much sense or the garish horrible looking yellow colour they painted it.

I don't understand the name Nunki either doesn't really make much sense or the garish horrible looking yellow colour they painted it.

Ohh gawwd.

Give them a break. This is someones livelihood.

Have you seen the Cumberland lately. What a pretty sight that has been for the last 15 years. NOT

Amazing how people moan about no variety, and gawd forbid we might have a little diversity, the naysayers and the doom mongers come out in their droves.

Twas the same with the 40 foot/Weatherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

The old Heat Merchants unit in Deansgrange almost opposite Fellinis restaurant has just been refurbished with "coming soon" notices up on it. But no indication of what it will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Chinasea wrote: »
    Jezzus Christ, could you be any more negative.
    Ohh gawwd.

Any reason in particular for trolling this thread with your own special version of English?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any reason in particular for trolling this thread with your own special version of English?

Would you ask a man with a limp why he is not walking correctly?

You don’t know the reason why some one posts with incorrect spelling. Often English may not be their first language or it could be a different reason

It is the height of ignorance and a sign of a general prick to comment on it. You know exactly what he was saying. So he successfully communicated his point.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    The old Heat Merchants unit in Deansgrange almost opposite Fellinis restaurant has just been refurbished with "coming soon" notices up on it. But no indication of what it will be...

There is a single style to the frontage but it looks like it will be two retail units. The one closest to Deansgrange Cross says 'boutique salon' and the other unit looks like it will be a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

ted1 wrote: »
    a sign of a general prick to comment on it.

:confused: He's a troll with nothing to add apart from sarcastically attacking people opinions - hense the reference to language used, I don't care where he's from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Guys, less of the personal attacks please or bans will be dealt out.
    Respond to the post not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Who needs this type of negativity and scoffing.
    This has been answered numerous times when you come up with posts like this. If I was planning on opening a business in an area I would be researching it as much as I could, and would be absolutely delighted to come across open feedback like his post.

If I was to ask friends and family about it they might be too polite & worried about saying they think its a bad idea, or what improvements could be made. I want to hear from "No-men" not a bunch of "yes men".

rubadub wrote: »
    This has been answered numerous times when you come up with posts like this. If I was planning on opening a business in an area I would be researching it as much as I could, and would be absolutely delighted to come across open feedback like his post.

If I was to ask friends and family about it they might be too polite & worried about saying they think its a bad idea, or what improvements could be made. I want to hear from "No-men" not a bunch of "yes men".

I don't think it polite or helpful to knock, or slight someones livelihood. I am of the opinion if you have something negative to say, take it up directly with proprietors.

Currently on one of the Dun Laoghaire FB pages there is a nasty post slating the Gourmet Cafe. Whether they are right or wrong is one thing, but there are several people really putting the boot in.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    There is a single style to the frontage but it looks like it will be two retail units. The one closest to Deansgrange Cross says 'boutique salon' and the other unit looks like it will be a takeaway.

Correction to my post above ..... the 'boutique salon' sign refers to the first floor tenant which is a business called Urban Escape.

The refitted ground floor will be a takeaway - 'Tiger Wood Fired Pizza'. They're already in Rathmines so looks like this will be their second branch. The Apache lads at the other end of that retail terrace won't be pleased.

https://www.tigerwfp.ie/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Correction to my post above ..... the 'boutique salon' sign refers to the first floor tenant which is a business called Urban Escape.

The refitted ground floor will be a takeaway - 'Tiger Wood Fired Pizza'. They're already in Rathmines so looks like this will be their second branch. The Apache lads at the other end of that retail terrace won't be pleased.

https://www.tigerwfp.ie/

will try them out as Pizza Republic still arent open :(

That would be three places serving pizza all within 50 yards of one another

That would be three places serving pizza all within 50 yards of one another

Yes, Apache (small dining area, mainly takeaway). Fellini's (mostly eat-in) and now Tiger.

Thinking about it, in fact the premises being fitted out by Tiger is far too big to be simply a takeaway so I'm guessing it will be a restaurant and take-out. Tiger has no pasta dishes on their Rathmines menu, it seems to be wall-to-wall pizza so I'd say they represent more of a threat to Apache than to Fellinis.

Yes, Apache (small dining area, mainly takeaway). Fellini's (mostly eat-in) and now Tiger.

Thinking about it, in fact the premises being fitted out by Tiger is far too big to be simply a takeaway so I'm guessing it will be a restaurant and take-out. Tiger has no pasta dishes on their Rathmines menu, it seems to be wall-to-wall pizza so I'd say they represent more of a threat to Apache than to Fellinis.

Don't forget Apache is also a Chinese so it's not only only pizza. Fellini's is quite for pizza. I presume Tiger is a similar style set up to the likes of Base Wood fired pizza.

I don't think it polite or helpful to knock, or slight someones livelihood.

We're not knocking anyone's livelihood, we're commenting on the wisdom of opening a business in an area where multiple similar businesss have failed in the past few years. That end of DL is a dead zone, that's all people are saying. Takeaways can make money because access is easy with roads leading in all directions and parking for 3 minutes while you collect is no problem in the evening but cafes and restaurants find it hard to get walk-in customers because of the location.
    I am of the opinion if you have something negative to say, take it up directly with proprietors.

This is a discussion forum, not a business advice bureau.

Jezzus Christ, could you be any more negative. They haven't even opened their doors and the you rain hailstones.

Give them a bloody chance. No need to knock. This is peoples livelihoods that you are simply writing off. Who needs this type of negativity and scoffing.

Would you be happy to see it lie ideal, rot and fester like the Cumberland.

I was merely stating my opinion and giving constructive criticism on their business venture. I could be proven wrong and it could be tremendous success but I would say that is unlikely unless their offer is particularly good.

Business is cut throat and the fact people's livelihoods are at stake isn't going to bring footfall through the door. Cafes and restaurants are particularly vulnerable and the majority that open up close their doors within the first two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I am in the food business in south Dublin. I opened a resturant take away a few years ago in a premises that had 2 businesses in the previous few years that failed.
    The parking is crap, there is very little parking space and clampers are very active.

The business is going very well because the offering is good, the environment is good and the prices very reasonable. I think you could open a place anywhere in the better areas of South Dublin and once your observe the above criteria you will be happily in business for many years.

We have now expanded and again all the places we have gone to have been replacing failed businesses. We were warned many times about the error of our ways by well intentioned friends and observers. This can be a bit disheartening but most people have never started a business and dont really understand how the food business works. I suppose if our businesses were not doing well disparaging remarks would hurt a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I don't think it polite or helpful to knock, or slight someones livelihood. I am of the opinion if you have something negative to say, take it up directly with proprietors.

Currently on one of the Dun Laoghaire FB pages there is a nasty post slating the Gourmet Cafe. Whether they are right or wrong is one thing, but there are several people really putting the boot in.

People are just saying that that area of DL does not currently seem suited for long term eateries of any description.

How many food joints have closed in that area over the last 10 years? People are very entitled to point that out without being accused of slating the business.

Has anybody slated the tea room or whatever is going into the Giddy Goose unit? No they havent.

If they wanted good livlihoods they wouldnt open a food joint at that end of DL.

Your rage posts are utterly ridiculous and full of nonsense.

• Advertisement

People are just saying that that area of DL does not currently seem suited for long term eateries of any description.

How many food joints have closed in that area over the last 10 years? People are very entitled to point that out without being accused of slating the business.

Has anybody slated the tea room or whatever is going into the Giddy Goose unit? No they havent.

If they wanted good livlihoods they wouldnt open a food joint at that end of DL.

Your rage posts are utterly ridiculous and full of nonsense.

The classic "People" and the usual empty "They should....." opinions.

Not helpful. As said no need for the "They shoulders" before the place even opens. Why not take a negative opinion up directly with those who's livelihoods are at stake.

Ganging up on FB and social media is low.

Advertisement