Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

I am in the food business in south Dublin. I opened a resturant take away a few years ago in a premises that had 2 businesses in the previous few years that failed.
    The parking is crap, there is very little parking space and clampers are very active.

The business is going very well because the offering is good, the environment is good and the prices very reasonable. I think you could open a place anywhere in the better areas of South Dublin and once your observe the above criteria you will be happily in business for many years.

We have now expanded and again all the places we have gone to have been replacing failed businesses. We were warned many times about the error of our ways by well intentioned friends and observers. This can be a bit disheartening but most people have never started a business and dont really understand how the food business works. I suppose if our businesses were not doing well disparaging remarks would hurt a lot more.

That end of Dun Laoghaire seems to be a struggle for food places, yet Soup seems to be very busy. I guess it is all down to the offering.

I thought scrumdiddlies were mad opening where they did, away from the main day tripper area, but judging by the long queues come rain or shine, I guess they aren’t doing too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aegir wrote: »
    I thought scrumdiddlies were mad opening where they did, away from the main day tripper area, but judging by the long queues come rain or shine, I guess they aren’t doing too badly.

I was the same and am prepared to put my hands up as guilty. I posted here and said they were mad to open where they did but on a warm day, the customers are literally queuing around the corner.

But for what they offer, there is no similar competition in the area whereas there are plenty of general purpose cafes and restaurants in DL so opening one at the junction of George's St and York Road where the footfall is poor is questionable.

coylemj wrote: »
    I was the same and am prepared to put my hands up as guilty. I posted here and said they were mad to open where they did but on a warm day, the customers are literally queuing around the corner.

But for what they offer, there is no similar competition in the area whereas there are plenty of general purpose cafes and restaurants in DL so opening one at the junction of George's St and York Road where the footfall is poor is questionable.

Presuming it is just another cafe.

If they are selling tea with bubbles, I know from first hand experience that kids will drag their parents miles for that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

On Cumberland street (Dun Laoghaire) Two beans cafe are opening up a second cafe just across the road and a few doors up (Two beans two I guess :D). Two beans is a fab place and they obviously have established the business to warrant it

The old Wine Library on Dun Laoghaire main street has a new lingerie stylist, Buji/Bujo opening soon - at least it's not another cafe I guess :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Holland and Barrett opening up in Dundrum where Ernest Jones used to be beside M+S.

• Advertisement

On Cumberland street (Dun Laoghaire) Two beans cafe are opening up a second cafe just across the road and a few doors up (Two beans two I guess :D). Two beans is a fab place and they obviously have established the business to warrant it

The old Wine Library on Dun Laoghaire main street has a new lingerie stylist, Buji/Bujo opening soon - at least it's not another cafe I guess :D:D

The burger place?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I like the Two Bean's place and the staff are fantastic, very professional and literally the opposite of the bland or rude coffee chain experience you get in DL.

But the coffee really isn't nice there, whatever blend or roast they use. The only time I've ever had a cup of coffee that tasted more like minestrone soup. :eek: It always disappoints anytime I stop by.

I wish JJ Darboven would open a similar comfortable sit down place, their coffee is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Kays Kitchen opened in Frascati Centre on Friday.

The burger place?

No they do lingerie! Can't remember the exact name but similar name to the burger place alright!

• Advertisement

No they do lingerie! Can't remember the exact name but similar name to the burger place alright!

Nice baps?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

frash wrote: »
    There used to be a great vegan cafe in the maritime museum (that even I as a meat lover liked!)

Went to look for the name of it online just now to share here but it appears it's closed down.

That's the place I'm talking about though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Nice baps?

(b)undies

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I wish JJ Darboven would open a similar comfortable sit down place, their coffee is delicious.

And cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Looks nice but thats a very expensive price point for the suburbs. China Sichuan up the road in Sandyford is generally regarded as the best high end Chinese restaurant in South Dublin (its excellent) and its much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Moving2017 wrote: »

Spending over a million and a half on a fit-out for a restaurant is absolutely insane. There is now way you could expect to see a return on that sort of investment, I can't understand it.

And the prices could prove to be a bit much even for the denizens of Blackrock. For right or wrong, Chinese food isn't really seen as "high end" and I think they could have trouble convincing punters to part with 120 blips a head no matter how nice the grub is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

JayRoc wrote: »
    Spending over a million and a half on a fit-out for a restaurant is absolutely insane. There is now way you could expect to see a return on that sort of investment, I can't understand it.

And the prices could prove to be a bit much even for the denizens of Blackrock. For right or wrong, Chinese food isn't really seen as "high end" and I think they could have trouble convincing punters to part with 120 blips a head no matter how nice the grub is.

A restaurant like that if they get it right could easily be a success. There is a new movement in Chinese and Asian food to move from the MSG menu to a menu based on fresh, organic food with a high end dining experience. Gordon Ramsey opened an Asian themed place and in New York there are many.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/gordon-ramsay-lucky-cat-restaurant-west-end-japanese-open-london-menu-a4092611.html

As for spending 1.5 million, a restaurant like that if it gets busy could easily turn over 2.5 million or more. They wont be long seeing it back if people buy into the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A restaurant like that if they get it right could easily be a success. There is a new movement in Chinese and Asian food to move from the MSG menu to a menu based on fresh, organic food with a high end dining experience. Gordon Ramsey opened an Asian themed place and in New York there are many.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/gordon-ramsay-lucky-cat-restaurant-west-end-japanese-open-london-menu-a4092611.html

As for spending 1.5 million, a restaurant like that if it gets busy could easily turn over 2.5 million or more. They wont be long seeing it back if people buy into the concept.

Agreed on the increasingly high end theme of Far East dining. I believe the new restaurant going into the rooftop location on top of old Central Bank in Dame Street will be Asian themed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Love Suits on Georges St, DL, is closing.

A stove/fireplace showroom is opening down the other end, where Alex's newsagent was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Turnover is a lot different to profit though (recouping fit out costs). Must be a good business plan or have a serious cash backer, best of luck to them.

Turnover is a lot different to profit though (recouping fit out costs). Must be a good business plan or have a serious cash backer, best of luck to them.

It doesn't seem that big either, which would surely limit the number of covers - especially as for a high end experience you need a bit more space per table than ramming them together

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It doesn't seem that big either, which would surely limit the number of covers - especially as for a high end experience you need a bit more space per table than ramming them together

That’s a big premises

Cyrus wrote: »
    That’s a big premises

Starbucks never seemed that huge, and surely you would need decent space for a kitchen, prep etc. But in fairness it's a long time since I was in teh starbucks so I may well be misremembering!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Blut2 wrote: »
    Looks nice but thats a very expensive price point for the suburbs. China Sichuan up the road in Sandyford is generally regarded as the best high end Chinese restaurant in South Dublin (its excellent) and its much cheaper.

+1 The Old Post Office lunch menu says that a two course lunch of spare ribs with BBQ sauce followed by duck with plum sauce and rice (hardly 'fine dining') will set you back €39. The China Sichuan in Sandyford lunch menu is offering two courses (from 7 starters and 8 mains) for €16.75.

I've had lots of lunches and one or two dinners in the China Sichuan, it's usually very busy and I can't see how anyone can compete with them at more than double their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I really want to go to China Sichuan now haha!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The new Lidl in Shankill will be open June 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Rojo wrote: »
    I really want to go to China Sichuan now haha!

Me too. A full dinner there costs less than lunch in Blackrock. I hope the Blackrock place draws just enough big spenders to make it easier to get into the China Sichuan, though to be fair Kevin & co in the China Sichuan always fit us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

China sichuan lunch is a very decent amount of food too, always leave stuffed. They used to have ribs as a starter and the portion was bigger than many places would have as an expensive al a carte starter on a dinner menu.

Baan Thai restaurants have a clever idea, an express lunch for people with minimal lunch breaks. So it is usually something like a green curry with rice that they do not have to cook individually each time.

• Advertisement

I think Leonidas in Blackrock is closing down - they have a sign on the shop saying closing June 2nd :(
    They have been there a long time I think? Sad news.

Advertisement