Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think Leonidas in Blackrock is closing down - they have a sign on the shop saying closing June 2nd :(
    They have been there a long time I think? Sad news.

Indeed. Always liked their chocolates as an ocassional treat shame to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Indeed. Always liked their chocolates as an ocassional treat shame to hear.

Also they were the only branch in Dublin afaik? The kind of place people would go out of their way a bit for and bring footfall in as you can't get it on every street corner. That shopping centre is really a ghosttown now - they need to do something to bring in new retailers (and reduce rent for existing tenants whilst the building is ongoing) or it won't have been worth the renovations!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Turnover is a lot different to profit though (recouping fit out costs). Must be a good business plan or have a serious cash backer, best of luck to them.

There's some serious high earners in Dublin right now, so not surprised we keep seeing pricey places like this.
    Why it may seem inconceivable they'll make a decent return, don't forget they probably have a high end wine list which will do well to help them bring in the green

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think Leonidas in Blackrock is closing down - they have a sign on the shop saying closing June 2nd :(

That’s a shame

Also they were the only branch in Dublin afaik? The kind of place people would go out of their way a bit for and bring footfall in as you can't get it on every street corner. That shopping centre is really a ghosttown now - they need to do something to bring in new retailers (and reduce rent for existing tenants whilst the building is ongoing) or it won't have been worth the renovations!

Thought they had one in Jervis SC and somewhere else in town or maybe that has closed down aswell. Also one in Blanch SC according to Google maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Yeah I saw that sign and wondered...tbh it was so low-key I presumed they were saying that they just wouldn't be open that particular day...

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Thought they had one in Jervis SC and somewhere else in town or maybe that has closed down aswell. Also one in Blanch SC according to Google maps.

I seem to recall a wee shop in the mall between Dawson st and Grafton st (beside Davy stockbrokers) but no idea if it is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

JayRoc wrote: »
    I seem to recall a wee shop in the mall between Dawson st and Grafton st (beside Davy stockbrokers) but no idea if it is still there

Their website would indicate that it was.
    I bought my first box of choccies from them there as a student going home on the bus to the mammy in 1990.

Yeah I saw that sign and wondered...tbh it was so low-key I presumed they were saying that they just wouldn't be open that particular day...

I thought that at first but then thought it seemed like a lot of advance notice for just a one day closing? Hopefully it might be just that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's still there.
    The Royal Hibernian Way
    The mall itself got done up a while ago.

Leonidas were the pinnacle of chocolate opulence for so long. Really a special treat for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah no. That is a real shame if the news was official that it could be closing permanently closed in early June. I used to eat their chocolates sometimes when as a kid. It was lovely stuff to eat every time that I went there. Could there any news because of the renovations there that it could be relocating to another unit in the centre as there was work going on beside in the two units beside the Esquire coffee shop.

Yes maybe it's just because of the renovations - let's hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Seems to be a permanent closure according to a customer of my acquaintance who enquired in there today. A store in Dundrum was mentioned - not sure if this exists or is new.

I asked a staff member and sadly the closure is permanent. They would have been required to move elsewhere in the shopping centre due to the renovations and apparently this was not deemed cost-effective.

Pity

I asked a staff member and sadly the closure is permanent. They would have been required to move elsewhere in the shopping centre due to the renovations and apparently this was not deemed cost-effective.

Pity

Ah no, you would think the centre could have found them somewhere at the same rent rate or whatever, but at least they didn't close due to financial issues and maybe teh staff can be accommodated in another branch

What was the set up was it a franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Think Temple Hair Salon in Ballybrack village has closed down. Their shutters have been down all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maxims chinese takeaway and restaurant is closed, in Fintans park near bakers corner.

https://goo.gl/maps/PsJMEN3ACbpb8Ymd7
    Maxims chinese/thai restaurant & takeaway
    May 14 at 10:01 AM ·
    Sorry we are closed until futher notice!
    Thank you for supporting Maxims Chinese

This does not surprise me, it did not seem to do much business.

The new chipper there seems to be doing OK, and will probably benefit -all their mon-fri daily specials are back on.

Express Fish&chips
    39 Abbey Road
    Monkstown
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin

Special Deals Of The Month

Monday Quarter Pounder Meal €6.5
    Tuesday Chicken Tenders Meal €6.5
    Wednesday Fish & Chips €6.95
    Thursday Kebab & Chips €7.95
    Friday Snack Box & Can €5.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Car wash opposite the mosque in Clonskeagh seems to have closed overnight. What looks like building hoarding being erected around it. Anyone know what’s going in there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

rubadub wrote: »
    Maxims chinese takeaway and restaurant is closed, in Fintans park near bakers corner.

https://goo.gl/maps/PsJMEN3ACbpb8Ymd7

This does not surprise me, it did not seem to do much business.

The new chipper there seems to be doing OK, and will probably benefit -all their mon-fri daily specials are back on.

I've seen 1 person in it over the years, surprised its lasted so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 chipchip

Leonidas have a small set up at the back of the card shop on the top floor in DD I just noticed recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

New Surf 'n' Fries opening on Blackrock Main Street next to AIB.

Great little outfit I've had a few times at festival.

Savage chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

New Surf 'n' Fries opening on Blackrock Main Street next to AIB.

Great little outfit I've had a few times at festival.

Savage chips!

that's great news, they are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Car wash opposite the mosque in Clonskeagh seems to have closed overnight. What looks like building hoarding being erected around it. Anyone know what’s going in there?

43 apartments in five floors over basement, if permission is granted. D19A/0162 on DLRs website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Hill Pub in Ranelagh has closed, all their Twitter says is...

Dear All,

Due to circumstances beyond our control the Hill Pub has closed with immediate effect. We would like to thank all of our wonderful customers over the last few years, you have all been amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Well it’s Goodbye to the Hill all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl shankill opens june 13th, got a flyer in the door with 4 weeks of €10 off a spend of €50 vouchers, and lots of other deals. Often these will not be posted to houses which are actually local. I remember when Sallynoggin one opened the locals got none, and I think some other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lidl shankill opens june 13th, got a flyer in the door with 4 weeks of €10 off a spend of €50 vouchers, and lots of other deals. Often these will not be posted to houses which are actually local. I remember when Sallynoggin one opened the locals got none, and I think some other one.

Can’t see Tesco express doing much business after the 13th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

people living in the locality will know its open, people living outside may not, but may go there as it seems handier

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Can’t see Tesco express doing much business after the 13th.

does it get much business anyway?

worst Tesco I have ever been to

Advertisement