Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

When did Beef Street in Dundrum close? Any reason disclosed?

About 6 months ago iirc. Presume for the same reason most businesses close ie a lack of custom and/or high business costs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

When did Beef Street in Dundrum close? Any reason disclosed?

Beeftro and Beef Street struggled with lack of custom. Personally I thought the prices were a bit too high and they were constantly on deal pages offering a meal for two for €50 which is a good indicator that their price points were off - particularly in Dundrum where so many places in the Pembroke District have closed up shop. The other Beeftro in town probably had the same issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Shame. It was expensive but I always thought it was the best place for food there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know why Dunnes in the Stilorgan Shopping Centre has been left out of the renovations? The rest has been modernised but their place still looks v old and rundown (the exterior).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Mad Egg opening in Dundrum SC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Mig wrote: »
    Mad Egg opening in Dundrum SC

Amazing! Great spot. Any idea when?

Anyone know why Dunnes in the Stilorgan Shopping Centre has been left out of the renovations? The rest has been modernised but their place still looks v old and rundown (the exterior).

Not sure how that branch is still open never seems busy especially considering one of their flagship stores is only 10 mins down the N11 in Cornelscourt and both large grocery, clothes and homeware departments.

Honestly I think it's worse than DL shopping centre at the moment. Even SuperValu is dead a lot of the time. Dubray have had a big table with half price stationery the last while, I am sure they are feeling the pinch too. Would hate to see them close. Hopefully the remaining stores can ride it out. Frascati is feeling a little busier now I find than a few months ago, so hopefully it will build up again, and with a few new stores in both it might help.

Parking has always been a pain in the arse in Blackrock in general especially now with the renovations going on atm. Aswell as the recent renovations in Frascati I'd say the new Dunnes on Newtownpark Avenue and the improved offering in Cornelscourt are also having a negative effect on Supervalu.

Up until the recession that shop was considered a fairly upmarket shop when it was Superquinn and people would travel from around to shop there. Now there's a lot more options and SV feels like a fairly mediocre shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Parking has always been a pain in the arse in Blackrock in general especially now with the renovations going on atm. Aswell as the recent renovations in Frascati I'd say the new Dunnes on Newtownpark Avenue and the improved offering in Cornelscourt are also having a negative effect on Supervalu.

Up until the recession that shop was considered a fairly upmarket shop when it was Superquinn and people would travel from around to shop there. Now there's a lot more options and SV feels like a fairly mediocre shop.

i go into the cobblers a lot in blackrock and chat to the lads, they were saying the refurb has been a nightmare and a lot of people are going to cornelscourt now.

to be fair once you start going there sv would need to improve a lot to tempt you back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

JayRoc wrote: »
    Frascati somehow managed to avoid the sort of Ghost-Town vibe that has settled over Blackrock SC, even during their recent renovations.

To be honest, the only time I go into BSC these days is if there is something I need from Supervalu that can't be found in Aldi/M&S. And that is a rarity

I find it hard that one suburb can sustain two shopping centres, especially with the advent to online shopping. Also, I imagine Blackrock has an ageing demographic - the demographic advertisers avoid - as it's simply too expensive to live there for a majority of people under 40 (ie the demographic that shops the most for incidental purchases - new clothes, gadgets, makeup etc). Shopping centres need droves of young people who will spend large percentages of their disposable incomes on such purchases. There is absolutely nothing destination defining about Blackrock SC unlike Dundrum for example where people from all over county Dublin and beyond will travel to.

Frascati now has the edge with the recent revamp and has name stores that people will go out of their way a little to travel to (M&S, Debenhams, Aldi, Five Guys etc). I'm not sure even the planned upgrade for Blackrock SC will turn the tide. Didn't DunLaoghaire SC undergo a modernisation a few years ago which did nothing for it? Even Tesco pulled out of there....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Not sure. It didn't give a date on their announcement on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Chimac (on Aungier St) which opened about 2-3 weeks ago is another great spot for Fried Chicken (Korean Style, but effectively the same thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

New fashion shop opening beside the newly redone rocks jewellers in stillorgan shopping centre. Advert in the window looking for staff and mentions "fashion" so must be a clothes or footwear store of some sort. Just being painted atm

The new shop is called Madison & Co. It's a women's fashion store.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ongarboy wrote: »
    I find it hard that one suburb can sustain two shopping centres, especially with the advent to online shopping. Also, I imagine Blackrock has an ageing demographic - the demographic advertisers avoid - as it's simply too expensive to live there for a majority of people under 40 (ie the demographic that shops the most for incidental purchases - new clothes, gadgets, makeup etc).
    Good point, it's been an issue for the last decade. Although it'll be interesting to see whether the significant number of apartment developments planned for the area (either with planning granted, for sale, or going through the planning process right now) will significantly change the demographic in the area. Perhaps this is something the redevelopment of these centres has already factored in.

Probably not a complete list:

Temple Hill
    https://www.independent.ie/business/mckillens-oakmount-gets-green-light-for-291-apartments-in-blackrock-38213806.html

Cross Avenue
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-homes-secures-permission-for-200-dwellings-in-blackrock-1.3795591
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/blackrock-college-site-seeks-offers-in-excess-of-20m-1.3903109
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/developer-set-to-demolish-blackrock-mansion-to-make-way-for-apartment-block-1.3886219

Newtownpark Avenue
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/south-dublin-residential-development-site-ready-to-go-at-6m-1.3920774

Maretimo Terrace
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/prime-ready-to-go-residential-site-in-blackrock-for-9m-1.3773122

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a lot of new housing. 550 odd apartments and 40ish houses - probably the guts of 2000 new people moving to within easy walking distance of the village. That should be great news for shops/restaurants, its great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A lot of the new outlets in Frascati seem to be food-oriented too - Five guys, Caffe Nero, Kay's Kitchen and another empty restaurant unit still to be filled below Nero (on top of McD's and the M&S cafe already there). Perhaps viewed as safer bets than retail?

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats a lot of new housing. 550 odd apartments and 40ish houses - probably the guts of 2000 new people moving to within easy walking distance of the village. That should be great news for shops/restaurants, its great to see.

There is more new houses earmarked to be built on the Fleurville Road site near Castlebyrne Park on Newtownpark Avenue. But I don't know how big or how long is the wait for them to be built. The site was acquired by Knight Frank a few years ago; but there has no building activity on the site since then. There has been some printed notices around there that 68 flats are likely to be built there in future. These notices would be against the proposed flats though if that information was likely to be true. I do not know the story behind them tbh. It was originally proposed to have 9 houses & 11 apartments built on the site over 3 years ago. But there are some planning notices displayed around the boundary walls of the site as well along the Fleurville Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

A lot of the new outlets in Frascati seem to be food-oriented too - Five guys, Caffe Nero, Kay's Kitchen and another empty restaurant unit still to be filled below Nero (on top of McD's and the M&S cafe already there). Perhaps viewed as safer bets than retail?

I thought for a while that Blackrock may become like Dalkey or the Crescent in Monkstown but it seems to be turning more towards fast food outlets. I would have thought it could sustain a few decent restaurants and become a destination place for eating (not withstanding the very expensive new Chinese!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I thought for a while that Blackrock may become like Dalkey or the Crescent in Monkstown but it seems to be turning more towards fast food outlets. I would have thought it could sustain a few decent restaurants and become a destination place for eating (not withstanding the very expensive new Chinese!)

There's Heron & Grey (now Liath)
    3 Leaves is a very good Indian
    El Celler is great for tapas

Above are just off the top of my head - there's probably more

frash wrote: »
    There's Heron & Grey (now Liath)
    3 Leaves is a very good Indian
    El Celler is great for tapas

Above are just off the top of my head - there's probably more

they are all pretty tiny though right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Cyrus wrote: »
    they are all pretty tiny though right

They're small enough but i wouldn't go as far as "tiny".

Cafes seem to be blossoming in Blackrock villge anyway - it has become a coffee destination: Bear Market, Mellow Fig, Wooden Spoon, Vanilla Pod, Cafe Java, Starbucks & Insomnia, and now Caffe Nero and Kays Kitchen on top

blackrocks problem is that it isnt really an evening destination. you goto dalkey any night of the week and its hopping. Blackrock doesnt have that, whether its proximity to town or what i dont know. Makes it hard for restaurants (but cafes do well)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cyrus wrote: »
    blackrocks problem is that it isnt really an evening destination. you goto dalkey any night of the week and its hopping. Blackrock doesnt have that, whether its proximity to town or what i dont know. Makes it hard for restaurants (but cafes do well)

+1 but the new Chinese restaurant in the old post office is clearly trying to reverse that trend.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 but the new Chinese restaurant in the old post office is clearly trying to reverse that trend.

yep but there isnt a decent pub to go to afterwards :o

A new jewellers - Kobash (something like that!) is opening in blackrock village where the organic supermarket was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Joe Duffy Select (used cars) is replacing the Porsche centre on Rochestown Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The old Carraig Books premises in Blackrock, opposite the library on the Main St. is being redeveloped. There will be six apartments with a retail unit on the ground floor. A local trader informs me that Carter Beauty (currently further up the street beside Thomas Adams) will move into the retail unit.

The new proposed apartment block on Frascati's rooftop should be included in that list.

Whatever way we look at it so far. It is an amazing list of new proposed housing developments in Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Appears a new restaurant is opening in DL beside Rocket's where the Hen House and Little Cabana used to be. Only sign is looking for staff saying to hand in CVs to DeVille's in Dalkey so I would presume it's the same people behind it.

Advertisement