Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Appears a new restaurant is opening in DL beside Rocket's where the Hen House and Little Cabana used to be. Only sign is looking for staff saying to hand in CVs to DeVille's in Dalkey so I would presume it's the same people behind it.

Excellent that’s a great restaurant. Hope they do well and aren’t overstretching.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Yeah it’s DeVilles branching out guys. Should be open soon!

ted1 wrote: »
    Excellent that’s a great restaurant. Hope they do well and aren’t overstretching.

They just do the basic so so well.

Excellent food, excellent service and sensible prices.

I wish them every success there.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Cyrus wrote: »
    blackrocks problem is that it isnt really an evening destination. you goto dalkey any night of the week and its hopping. Blackrock doesnt have that, whether its proximity to town or what i dont know. Makes it hard for restaurants (but cafes do well)

Yes and DL suffers the same plight. Streets are a ghost town at night. Dunno are the pubs too spread out or what. The fact that theres no late bar doesn't help either.

Harry's Grab and Go in DL shopping centre will close over the next couple of weeks. They've stopped serving Soup and Sambos since Monday the 1st. Coffees and pastries for the remaining couple of weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Quinn's in Glasthule have applied to build 10 apartments "above the shop". Planning ref D19A/0395

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Quinn's in Glasthule have applied to build 10 apartments "above the shop". Planning ref D19A/0395

I have to say, living above a funeral home would not be my choice!! :eek::eek:

It's not the dead you need to worry about ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bullock Harbour development gets the go ahead.

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1146057432491122688

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im glad that saga is over,

im relatively new to the area but i dont get what people are trying to protect exactly the place is an eyesore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Good luck getting insurance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not the first houses to be built in the harbour. Where there's a will there's a way I guess.

24f2d20fd9fe5123d4fa76796299f8adef25ec6313b4f7be433761a8a7a70faa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Bullock Harbour development gets the go ahead.

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1146057432491122688

At least there is still a public facing aspect to the development albeit limited to a cafe and sea food shop.

Also, it is great to hear that DeVille's are branching out.

Indeed, many businesses locally as well as nationwide could do with following this example and Jaipur if they are at all rattled by Brexit. In other words, domestic growth could provide better contingency for a worst case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Could be a bit of mistake for DeVille's to open up in DL . A number of restaurants have opened up in that unit over the years including Roly's, Oliveto was originally there before moving to the Kingston Hotel, Hen House and Little Cabana and all have ended up closing it's a massive unit and I'd imagine the rent would be quite hefty on it. Also DL doesn't really have much of a restaurant scene like Dalkey has but that could work to their benefit.

Could be a bit of mistake for DeVille's to open up in DL . A number of restaurants have opened up in that unit over the years including Roly's, Oliveto was originally there before moving to the Kingston Hotel, Hen House and Little Cabana and all have ended up closing it's a massive unit and I'd imagine the rent would be quite hefty on it. Also DL doesn't really have much of a restaurant scene like Dalkey has but that could work to their benefit.

The Gourmet burger place was there for a good while before it closed though, and the other places all seem to do well there. I think the name and the quality might attract people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Gourmet burger place was there for a good while before it closed though, and the other places all seem to do well there. I think the name and the quality might attract people.

Was in the Gourment Burger place once, casual lunch with a friend. Ordered a glass of red wine and it was absolutely vile, pure p1ss. If they had spent one or two euros extra on their wine and served up half-decent plonk, I might have ordered a second glass. Instead, I never set foot in the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm not saying it will definitely fail or anything I'd hope they do well. Even for a good restaurant it's a big premises to fill and I'd say the rent would be fairly hefty.

Try getting a table in Hartleys on a Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime.

I’m sure Devilles will do just fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement

Is Bakers Corner in Dun Laoghaire?
    Our new address will be 3 The Forge, Bakers Corner, Rochestown Avenue, Dun Laoghaire.”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes and no. Its Kill o'the Grange as everyone knows, but the postal district of Dun Laoghaire covers everywhere up to Pottery Road, Johnstown Road, Rochestown Ave, similar to how Blackrock begins in Booterstown and ends at Cornelscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Anyone know what the health centre destined for the Cumberland is about? Planning permission sought June 2019?

The old borough of Dun Laoghaire came as far as Bakers Corner. So Kill Ave. was in DL while Kill Lane was Co. Dublin. That boundary doesn't apply nowadays as the whole area is in the new county of DLR.

So I assume you're asking about the postal address...... Eircode says that the pub's address is Kill Ave. and An Post says it's in the postal district of Dun Laoghaire.

Even though the only street sign on the corner is for Rochestown Ave. :confused:

https://goo.gl/maps/o8Hm6RZw3SDksAf87

The Mig wrote: »

SBP has a paywall, can't read the article.

But the header (which is all they let you read) suggests it was not a good review for the Old Post Office Chinese restaurant in Blackrock.....
    A costly trip to Blackrock fails to deliver the culinary goods

Apologies it was free to view until yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The Mig wrote: »
    Apologies it was free to view until yesterday
    The Wife just read the review out loud to me. Jesus, it was pretty scathing.

I'm guessing they might have been a bit more forgiving if a mediocre meal for two with drinks hadn't cost 225 sovs

JayRoc wrote: »
    The Wife just read the review out loud to me. Jesus, it was pretty scathing.

I'm guessing they might have been a bit more forgiving if a mediocre meal for two with drinks hadn't cost 225 sovs

+ 1 They're sitting ducks (;)) for harsh reviews with their prices. Set the bar high and you have a long way to fall.

I'm told the Sunday Times reviewer said he could name six takeaways with a better Peking Duck - ouch! The Diep branch across the road is probably one of them.

• Advertisement

€38 for 4 scallops (no side included!)

There was a poor one in either the Times or the Indo too recently - saying the surroundings were lovely but the food was just not up to scratch, especially for the price.

Advertisement