Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    SBP has a paywall, can't read the article.
    The Mig wrote: »
    Apologies it was free to view until yesterday

its on google cache, not sure if this link will work for people.https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8xacfA_uSg4J:https://www.businesspost.ie/magazine/costly-trip-blackrock-fails-deliver-culinary-goods-446836+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=ubuntu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

€38 for 4 scallops (no side included!)

There was a poor one in either the Times or the Indo too recently - saying the surroundings were lovely but the food was just not up to scratch, especially for the price.

Can't see that lasting long not sure what they were thinking surely after putting all that money into the place and charging that kind of price you'd expect top notch food especially so soon after opening although in a way I'm not surprised.

If the surroundings were nice though then surely it would only take someone with a bit of cop on to take over the restaurant when it closes down and do a decent job of the food which will most likely happen if they get up to scratch and fairly quick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »

I stopped reading in the second paragraph after the second “fuc$ing” that journalist is rough I imagine his idea of fine dining is a spice bag at three in the morning

ted1 wrote: »
    after the second “fuc$ing” that journalist is rough
    thought that was strange alright.

My biggest issue was this
    My main of cornfed gong bao chicken (€32) was nice enough, with decent garlic and ginger flavours, but really it was just an instantly forgettable plate of chicken and cashew nuts (the traditional recipe uses peanuts, but these were definitely cashews)
    The way she says "they were definitely cashews" sounds like she ordered it expecting peanuts, and was surprised & disappointed to be dished up an "inauthentic" version. BUT the menu clearly stated it was with cashews. China Sichuan also do the same dish (under one of the other names Kun Po) and they also clearly state it is with cashews. In any takeaway here I have always gotten cashews with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

thought that was strange alright.

My biggest issue was this

The way she says "they were definitely cashews" sounds like she ordered it expecting peanuts, and was surprised & disappointed to be dished up an "inauthentic" version. BUT the menu clearly stated it was with cashews. China Sichuan also do the same dish (under one of the other names Kun Po) and they also clearly state it is with cashews. In any takeaway here I have always gotten cashews with it.

I think that's partly because while Chinese people tend to have milk/lactose issues, a lot of westerners have peanut allergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I think that's partly because while Chinese people tend to have milk/lactose issues, a lot of westerners have peanut allergy.

A lot of westerners don’t have peanut allergies, the few that do , are at high risk of dying.

Peanuts are seen as common and Cashew nut is seen as a luxury. Hence fancy places replace peanuts with cashew nuts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Yis are nuts lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ongarboy wrote: »

God I am not sure they would have done that well there - I always saw House of Ireland as a more tourist focused store (aran knitwear, gifts etc.) and thought the Nassau St location suited perfectly with proximity to TCD etc. Could not see the same market in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

God I am not sure they would have done that well there - I always saw House of Ireland as a more tourist focused store (aran knitwear, gifts etc.) and thought the Nassau St location suited perfectly with proximity to TCD etc. Could not see the same market in Blackrock.

+1 totally agree. Nassau St. benefits from a big passing trade in US tourists walking back to their coaches parked along the back of Trinity near Lincoln Place. A lot of them stop to take selfies outside 'Knobs & Knockers' - soon to depart as well.

Couldn't see the sense in HoI relocating to the Frascati. Maybe their market research belatedly said the same so they made up an excuse to pull out of the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kerb in foxrock, I think its new enough.
    Middle Eastern fusion food (fancy kebabs) and coffee. Going to try it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mad Egg confirmed opening date of 9th August in Dundrum.

DeVilles new restaurant in DL will be called Casper and Giumbini by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There are some changes going on at Dunnes Stores in the Playwright at the minute. There has been a small switch taking place with the locations of the self scan tills & the customer service till. The CS till is located beside the magazine/newspaper stand. The self scan tills are located nearer to the off licence. There is some work going on at the off licence side of Dunnes with work going behind the walls. The ATM machine, however, is not there for now. It's been blocked off temporarily due to the small refurbishment work at the off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    DeVilles new restaurant in DL will be called Casper and Giumbini

That's a name from the past - a restaurant in Wicklow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Family connection to the original one I believe

Kerb in foxrock, I think its new enough.
    Middle Eastern fusion food (fancy kebabs) and coffee. Going to try it tomorrow
    Did you go? I wondered if they do takeaways.

I cannot find the menu, this is stupidly common for places, they have instagram page, facebook, even their own website and no menu -just take a few photos of it FFS.

This page has a video and I paused it and saw a chicken shawarma was 14, a "crispy coconut shrimp" kebab was 15.50
    https://lovindublin.com/video/healthy-kebab-foxrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I cannot find the menu, this is stupidly common for places, they have instagram page, facebook, even their own website and no menu -just take a few photos of it FFS.

This page has a video and I paused it and saw a chicken shawarma was 14, a "crispy coconut shrimp" kebab was 15.50

It looks like a paid for advertisement or maybe paid through taking out advertisements in the publications. I would really like to know does the company pay Lovin Dublin for the articles.

Looks like a nice place, Foxrock village needs new stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes i did, I got what was basically a chicken kebab (they called it something ridiculous. Also was pretty expensive, but it was nice, 7.5 out of 10

just to add, i ate in and they were pretty sparse on menus

• Advertisement

A new ice cream shop has opened in Frascati. It's called Sunbear Gelato.

Frascati have also updated their centre map on their website including the new Health & Beauty Zone for upstairs from their new Atrium. It shows that the new medical centre & gym will be located upstairs in the new Health & Beauty Zone. This also frees up the units previously taken up by the old McDonalds Restaurant to allow more businesses to open new stores in that part of the centre downstairs. This would leave it with a total of 22 units remaining to generate new business in Frascati.

There's 5 units to open up in the health & beauty zone; 3 of them are reserved for Sugar Daddy, Sugar Coated & another business, in which the logo is hard to make out, located between the new medical centre & Peter Marks. Does anyone know what the name of that business? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

A new ice cream shop has opened in Frascati. It's called Sunbear Gelato.

Frascati have also updated their centre map on their website including the new Health & Beauty Zone for upstairs from their new Atrium. It shows that the new medical centre & gym will be located upstairs in the new Health & Beauty Zone. This also frees up the units previously taken up by the old McDonalds Restaurant to allow more businesses to open new stores in that part of the centre downstairs. This would leave it with a total of 22 units remaining to generate new business in Frascati.

There's 5 units to open up in the health & beauty zone; 3 of them are reserved for Sugar Daddy, Sugar Coated & another business, in which the logo is hard to make out, located between the new medical centre & Peter Marks. Does anyone know what the name of that business? TIA.

Looks like F45? https://f45training.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yup it's F45.

Sunbear looked busy today - good location just opposite the entrance so very visible.

Sisu is going in there aswell

Great. Thanks a million for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

All 4 units on junction of Leopardstown Road/Avenue are now empty, the hairdressers, Expertech computer repair and the other two units that have changed on multiple occasions over last few years, ink cartridges, tiles, bathroom fittings

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    All 4 units on junction of Leopardstown Road/Avenue are now empty,

I always thought an Italian chipper would do well there. Would have caught the club 92 crowd if they stayed open late, always seems to be people walking on the road. Walking distance to loads of houses and I don't think there is anything else that near. People coming off the motorway would spot it too.

Might be objections to it, dunno how that works.

I always thought an Italian chipper would do well there. Would have caught the club 92 crowd if they stayed open late, always seems to be people walking on the road. Walking distance to loads of houses and I don't think there is anything else that near. People coming off the motorway would spot it too.

Might be objections to it, dunno how that works.

It could but there is a lack of parking around those units whuch may affect passing trade. Most chippers seem to be located in rows of shops with car parking adjacent usually to a spar/centra type shop, dry cleaners, chemist, perhaps even a pub and/or bookies or in a town/village centre. I'd say a chipper in that area would make more sense in the units beside the Leopardstown Inn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    . I'd say a chipper in that area would make more sense in the units beside the Leopardstown Inn
    Yeah, I went on google maps after posting to check if there was anything there.

People would park in the estate, which is why I would expect objections. There are some spaces around the corner.

I still think it would get enough trade from just people walking in & deliveries. Maybe a chinese would be better as people tend to get that delivered more.

If you every cycled that way you will find there is plenty of parking, they all park on the cycletrack!

• Advertisement

I still think it would get enough trade from just people walking in & deliveries. Maybe a chinese would be better as people tend to get that delivered more.

Or a pizza place like Domino's, Four Star or Apache as they tend more so delivery based aswell

Advertisement