Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Anyone know what they replacing the petrol station with in Templeogue Village?
    Is dat the topaz

Xtravison stillorgan is having a closing down sale and i heard gamestop in dun leary is having 1 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

GW Hockey opening beside Topaz, opposite The Goat on Taney Road. A number of businesses seem to have had limited success with that location.

Just saw on an ad that all the cost plus sofas and beds etc are closing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Xtravison stillorgan is having a closing down sale and i heard gamestop in dun leary is having 1 aswell

not true about Gamestop, they just go crazy with the sale signs on the windows to make people think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is dat the topaz

There was only one petrol station in Templeogue village, can't remember if it was a topaz or not?

Also looks like work on the ALDI/LIDL might finally be getting under way in Terenure village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It was a Maxol in the Village. The Topaz is down on Templeville Road, beside Templogue College

No one has mentionted that abrakebabra has closed in dl good news as it had **** food and was overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The Bedroom Studio beside Dalkey News has been closed for about half a year now. It's a prime retail unit with a huge amount of potential. However, I have seen people working on the retail unit once or twice over the last few weeks. It may only be a case of transporting some remaining stock. Either-way, does anyone know what (if anything) will happen with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No one has mentionted that abrakebabra has closed in dl good news as it had **** food and was overpriced

Whatever your views on their pricing structure is, please remember that this was someone's livelihood and **** knows what financial and living hardships this has brought about to them and their employees to say the least. What's good also about another empty shop running into disrepair and doom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Tesco Express was mentioned as opening at Honey Park on Gleanageary Rd but there is also a Costa Coffee going in too as well as other retail opportunities.

Anyone know what's going into the old Daihatsu dealership on Kill Avenue?
    Work currently being done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

frash wrote: »
    Tesco Express was mentioned as opening at Honey Park on Gleanageary Rd but there is also a Costa Coffee going in too as well as other retail opportunities.

Hyundai. Yeah i noticed its being renovated?

Cant see many people wanting to open units on Glenageary Road at a Tesco if there are 90 empty shops in DL town. Prefer if they werent built at all rather than create more whitewashed windows.

Speaking of dereliction I drove past the Playwright last night (TGIs for younger readers). That used to be such a good spot for a pub, cant believe it wouldnt be worth opening as a good local with simple bar menu again, there is good money in the area. I know the premises got too big before becoming that awful plastic overpriced restaurant. If I had any money to invest I'd go in there and reopen just the ground floor and create a function room. If its done right it would be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hyundai. Yeah i noticed its being renovated?

Sorry was it Hyundai?
    The one beside DPL anyway - there was only the one.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Whatever your views on their pricing structure is, please remember that this was someone's livelihood and **** knows what financial and living hardships this has brought about to them and their employees to say the least. What's good also about another empty shop running into disrepair and doom?
    in case u sidnt know abrakebabra is a chain the guy who owns it is probably living in a mansion somewhere he only closed it coz he wasn't making a profit from it also alot of drunken fights centred around it because it opened late and people went dere after a session

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

in case u sidnt know abrakebabra is a chain the guy who owns it is probably living in a mansion somewhere he only closed it coz he wasn't making a profit from it also alot of drunken fights centred around it because it opened late and people went dere after a session

I'm nearly sure its a franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure its a franchise
    It is, and even if it wasn't the guy who started it is not working in all the shops himself, so the point of livelihoods still stands.

They had begun to get very reasonable offers in there, people were still going to mcdonalds. I overheard a worker there saying he had worked there for many years and how much it had changed, being empty now.

rubadub wrote: »
    It is, and even if it wasn't the guy who started it is not working in all the shops himself, so the point of livelihoods still stands.

They had begun to get very reasonable offers in there, people were still going to mcdonalds. I overheard a worker there saying he had worked there for many years and how much it had changed, being empty now.
    You really have no idea how a franchise works, i quiet surprised at your ignorance especially considering your a mod.

Franchises are individually owned and yes it's someone's livelihood. It's their bread and butter and also that of the employees.

Edit: apologies Rubadub.I thought you had posted the bitter post about it not being someone's livelihood and the guy living in mansions

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Mimosa Interiors on Stillorgan Road has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Whatever about speculation on the owner of Abrakebabra, it is never good for a street or a neighbourhood to see a shop close down. It's a signal of decline. Perhaps not if it's the case that a new business opens up that's less of a nuisance, but I wouldn't hold my breath in this instance.

frash wrote: »

http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/park-pointe-glenageary-road-upper-dun-laoghaire-dublin/2579073

Here's the details and a few piccies of the Tesco etc at Honey Park / Glenageary Road

Park Pointe. Whats with the spare E? I really hoped all of these most w@nkery of naming schemes went out with the Celtic Tiger, but apparently not :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Larbre34 wrote: »
    http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/park-pointe-glenageary-road-upper-dun-laoghaire-dublin/2579073

Here's the details and a few piccies of the Tesco etc at Honey Park / Glenageary Road

Park Pointe. Whats with the spare E? I really hoped all of these most w@nkery of naming schemes went out with the Celtic Tiger, but apparently not :rolleyes:

Overall, it looks quite smart. In terms of it's design, it reminds me of a miniature version of Carrickmines Retail Park. As retail parks go, it is certainly one of the nicer looking ones. I noticed on some of the plans that there is a bus shelter to the south of the car park. I wonder will this carry the 7d or 8 bus routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Park Pointe with an extaneous "e" is reminiscent of American retail centres of the 2000s. I'm waiting for Dublin examples of "X at Y" - "The Shoppes at Park Pointe" and that type of thing. Not giving out about the name; I just find it amusing.

It looks like a nice little development. My only issue would be the car parking between the cafe and the shops. If the parking was placed on the other side of the cafe, and the cafe moved closer to the shops a bit, you could have a nice little pedestrian mall/square. Its gonna be a pain for the mummy's with their huge buggies to weave between the cars to get from Costa to the shops!

Ive just remembered why its familiar...

Grosse Pointe Blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

brenn7475 wrote: »

What really pisses me off though is

Lidl Grange Road
    Lidl Nutgrove Avenue
    Aldi Nutgrove Avenue
    Aldi Dundrum

And there is another one opening near Terenure also.

I found today new crane standing there. Seems like construction begin. Planing ref. 2093/12. Old printers plot beside Terenure AIB bank. People using Rathfarnham Road to commute should expect traffic grow on that already busy road....:
    88btcN.png

7AVGBm.png

zom wrote: »
    I found today new crane standing there. Seems like construction begin. Planing ref. 2093/12. Old printers plot beside Terenure AIB bank. People using Rathfarnham Road to commute should expect traffic grow on that already busy road....:
    88btcN.png

7AVGBm.png

As part if the planning process they have to make parking available to people using the village, so it may add to the village

ted1 wrote: »
    As part if the planning process they have to make parking available to people using the village, so it may add to the village

If you live/shop there it's fine but if you just commute through, for example from Ballyboden to city centre you may be less happy to have local traffic increased there. Anyway - it's a pity it's clearly retail development not like the Superquinn at Rathgar where they managed to create few apartments over retail floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you live/shop there it's fine but if you just commute through, for example from Ballyboden to city centre you may be less happy to have local traffic increased there. Anyway - it's a pity it's clearly retail development not like the Superquinn at Rathgar where they managed to create few apartments over retail floor.

As far as I'm aware all of those apartments are empty and were never even finished. I know because up until recently I used to live in an apartment above a shop in Rathgar and could see into them. They were basically just concrete shells with windows. Vandals had gotten in at some stage as well and covered the walls in graffiti. A pity because they looked like really nice apartments.

locals will be glad if it deters people cummuting through ;)

there's bus lanes so it shouldn't really affect cummutors.

As far as I'm aware all of those apartments are empty and were never even finished. I know because up until recently I used to live in an apartment above a shop in Rathgar and could see into them. They were basically just concrete shells with windows. Vandals had gotten in at some stage as well and covered the walls in graffiti. A pity because they looked like really nice apartments.

If you lived in the area you must to know how much it cost and how difficult is to find decent place there. So I'm surprised nobody want to setup lettings there, or just build to sale. The one at Rathgar was probably forced by planners as they prefer to see mixed developments. Lidl in Terenure will be simple and cheap steel frame covered with glass/panels/boards and slabs - easy and fast to build crap architecture. Good it will be almost completely hidden behind existing buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Is now let Agree:

http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/30-kill-avenue-dun-laoghaire-co-dublin/2001954

Not sure who's the tenant but there are contractors plastering the external walls (they've already insulated the inside.

Advertisement