Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    All 4 units on junction of Leopardstown Road/Avenue are now empty, the hairdressers, Expertech computer repair and the other two units that have changed on multiple occasions over last few years, ink cartridges, tiles, bathroom fittings

I think the hairdressers might be going into what was the window & door showrooms on the corner. There are signs of plumbing for at least 4 sinks and there are big boxes on the floor which I assume are said sinks.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It could but there is a lack of parking around those units whuch may affect passing trade. Most chippers seem to be located in rows of shops with car parking adjacent usually to a spar/centra type shop, dry cleaners, chemist, perhaps even a pub and/or bookies or in a town/village centre. I'd say a chipper in that area would make more sense in the units beside the Leopardstown Inn

There was an application for a take away turned down before the bathroom showroom moved in. Lots of objections from locals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There was an application for a take away turned down before the bathroom showroom moved in. Lots of objections from locals.

Thats not surprising, I've lived in a little estate about 100 yards away, 15 houses, the landscapers were out every week from March-October, there was a litter committe and then for the leopardstown festival they'd have a posse standing at the top of the road leading in.

Zero chance of a takeaway going in there, the coffee shop they had there a few years back was ok, but everytime i went it was me and the staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zero chance of a takeaway going in there,
    this is what I wondered about when saying
    rubadub wrote: »
    Might be objections to it, dunno how that works.
    Do they have to be explicity honest or what? like an italian chipper might describe themselves as an italian food takeaway which might get less objections.

If there is an existing takeaway place have they got more grounds for rejection? seems like some places have plenty of takeaways while some might have none, and so would seem they just get away with it since others already exist. Like ballybrack village has an italian chipper, TWO chinese, pizza place. pizza place and I guess the pubs do food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

rubadub wrote: »
    Do they have to be explicity honest or what? like an italian chipper might describe themselves as an italian food takeaway which might get less objections.

If there is an existing takeaway place have they got more grounds for rejection? seems like some places have plenty of takeaways while some might have none, and so would seem they just get away with it since others already exist. Like ballybrack village has an italian chipper, TWO chinese, pizza place. pizza place and I guess the pubs do food.

If they are describing themselves as an Italian food takeaway then they should be serving Italian food like pizza and pasta only and not fish and chips, burgers, battered sausages and kebabs which are most definitely not Italian food even if the premises is Italian owned.

Chippers where there is a collection of shops usually providing complimentary businesses like convenience stores, pubs, other takeaways, chemists, dry cleaners etc. rather than as standalone or stand out units. Many also are long term established businesses which have been trading for long periods of time and new openings aren't that common. I would imagine there are large amounts of objections on the basis of traffic, noise and smell pollution aswell as issues such as litter and attracting undesirables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People are going to object to the hot food takeaway element and that is usually what gets refused. Eat on premises only chippers aren't very common!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the cafe that was there before, it had "artisan" sausage rolls, that was about as takeaway as it got.

Potentially someone could try and get something upmarket in there (in terms of planning application) and just sell something different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the cafe that was there before, it had "artisan" sausage rolls, that was about as takeaway as it got.

Potentially someone could try and get something upmarket in there (in terms of planning application) and just sell something different

a lot has changed over the past few years.
    Central Park / South County Business park has exploded over the past while, so perhaps could be a market for another coffee / food offering?
    I know it's a bit of a walk away, but should still get local trade too.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    a lot has changed over the past few years.
    Central Park / South County Business park has exploded over the past while, so perhaps could be a market for another coffee / food offering?
    I know it's a bit of a walk away, but should still get local trade too.

Is it really the most pleasant setting for a cafe looking out on to a busy road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is it really the most pleasant setting for a cafe looking out on to a busy road?

Setting not really important.
    Look at the Vanilla Pod in Carrickmines shopping centre. Always full.
    If they get the offering right, it'll pull in customers as the location is key.
    Could do well from a take-away offering too due to number of nearby offices.

• Advertisement

If they get the offering right, it'll pull in customers as the location is key.
    Could do well from a take-away offering too due to number of nearby offices.

Not to mention the blocks of apartments that are going up next door. The parking in the area is a mess already but we will have builders cars parked everywhere on Leopardstown Avenue/Lawn/Drive. New yellow lines were painted on the corner of the Lawn/Drive in the last few days but what good are yellow lines when nobody polices them. Parking on both sides of the Avenue and Lawn is so bad that an emergency vehicle would have difficulty getting through on either. I feel really sorry for anybody who lives in Silver Pines when it all starts, it's gonna be a mess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Mad Eggs location in Dundrum is the old Beeftro place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

The Mig wrote: »
    Mad Eggs location in Dundrum is the old Beeftro place

are they open yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

skibum wrote: »
    are they open yet ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0vczi8A1Cw/
    madeggdublin
    Verified
    Take #3 is ready to roll 🤙

We open officially next weekend!
    BUT before then we want to say thanks to all of you for getting us here.
    So next Wednesday we are going to be hooking up 250 of you with eats on us. We are running 2 sittings 12 - 3pm and 5 - 8pm.
    If you want to buzz in drop us a DM for you and 3 mates and we will shout back our regular Eggos with a time slot!

We will have #templestreet buckets on site for donations to a great cause also.
    Going to be a whopper day 🔥🔥 #yass #madegg #3
    47m

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And they keep running out of stuff in the early afternoon! If you want coffee and a scone or a muffin, Barry & Browne next door is a much better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

And they keep running out of stuff in the early afternoon! If you want coffee and a scone or a muffin, Barry & Browne next door is a much better bet.

You think

I wouldn’t have it in the same league

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Spotted a new Italian "pasta bar" undergoing a fit out in George's St in Dun Laoghaire, as is Mad House restaurant, near York Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

What has happened with the "Just Wing It" store that was supposed to be opening in "Unit 2 Pavilion 2, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin"?

It has been vacant for the past 3 years and still has "GRANT PERMISSION" beside the Decision field:

http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D16A/0264&theTabNo=2

spuddy wrote: »
    Spotted a new Italian "pasta bar" undergoing a fit out in George's St in Dun Laoghaire, as is Mad House restaurant, near York Rd.

They've taken a while with that Madhouse place the opening soon sign has been up for the guts of 3-4 months. I'm not sure why it would take so long to open up a restaurant in a premises that's already fitted out for restaurant use. I also beleive it will be a Mexican restaurant as a btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What has happened with the "Just Wing It" store that was supposed to be opening in "Unit 2 Pavilion 2, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin"?

It has been vacant for the past 3 years and still has "GRANT PERMISSION" beside the Decision field:

http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D16A/0264&theTabNo=2

The grant isn't going to change. Presumably the operator decides not to open in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They opened on Georges Street in the city center so I'd say it's dead in the water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd hope it might not be dead, just postponed while they focus on the Georges Street branch. Its a good chain, would be great having one in Dun Laoghaire. But it is years delayed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

They've taken a while with that Madhouse place the opening soon sign has been up for the guts of 3-4 months. I'm not sure why it would take so long to open up a restaurant in a premises that's already fitted out for restaurant use. I also beleive it will be a Mexican restaurant as a btw.

Had a look for an online presence and they claim: "We are in full swing today. Here’s a sneak peak of the madness! #madhouserestaurant" on their FB page

Doesn't look very "in full swing" :confused:

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'd hope it might not be dead, just postponed while they focus on the Georges Street branch. Its a good chain, would be great having one in Dun Laoghaire. But it is years delayed at this stage.

I thought it looked like a cafe or something along those lines was going in there but it seems not to be the case. That unit has been empty since the complex was built which is over ten years ago and orginally had an escaltor to a basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

frash wrote: »
    Had a look for an online presence and they claim: "We are in full swing today. Here’s a sneak peak of the madness! #madhouserestaurant" on their FB page

Doesn't look very "in full swing" :confused:

They were working away inside on Sunday when I passed, didn't look like it was close to opening, I think the owner of the beerkeeper has something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

They were working away inside on Sunday when I passed, didn't look like it was close to opening, I think the owner of the beerkeeper has something to do with it

https://twitter.com/TheBeerKeeperD/status/1158809540672049154?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

The place is open, it's called Dall'Italia. They're branching out from their first place near Portobello.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The place is open, it's called Dall'Italia. They're branching out from their first place near Portobello.

I'm not into Italian food but the prices look great for a person eating Italian food on a budget.

This place should be very popular now that it is open for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I'm not into Italian food but the prices look great for a person eating Italian food on a budget.

This place should be very popular now that it is open for business.

Should do well. Prices are very good, will give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

where's the pasta place?

The new build on the way into the Roal Marine (Marine Walk) has a tenant - Cali Kitchen https://www.thecalikitchen.ie/menu

Advertisement