Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Gamestop in DL is to close

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Gamestop in DL is to close

Oooh. That's not good news to start 2020. I wonder why this is happening.

Is the store in Dundrum in the plans for closure as well or is that to remain open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oooh. That's not good news to start 2020. I wonder why this is happening.

Is the store in Dundrum in the plans for closure as well or is that to remain open?

Whole company is in trouble

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/12/tech/gamestop-ceo-interview-layoffs/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bizarre business model, literally everything they sell is available cheaper elsewhere, I dont mean online either, other bricks and mortar shops aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Thargor wrote: »
    Bizarre business model, literally everything they sell is available cheaper elsewhere, I dont mean online either, other bricks and mortar shops aswell.

Their trade in deals for consoles are head and shoulders above everyone elses. And when trade shows are on, their trade in deals for new games are incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Their trade in deals for consoles are head and shoulders above everyone elses. And when trade shows are on, their trade in deals for new games are incredible.

Maybe too good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I thnk it is going to be a tough year for retail outlets. There has been a massive increase in online shopping. Look at the financial returns for companies such as John Lewis, House of Fraser etc in the U.K. If they move away from shoping malls a lot of the malls will not get replacement outlets to pay the rent and will go downhill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Windsor Deansgrange is now Opel, was Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Maybe too good?

Yeah, maybe.

They tread a bizarre line of having best in business limited time offers and worst in business standard pricing (outside of promotions).

I'd say DD will remain in situ as its generally busy and benefits from being in the busiest shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Edgware wrote: »
    I thnk it is going to be a tough year for retail outlets. There has been a massive increase in online shopping. Look at the financial returns for companies such as John Lewis, House of Fraser etc in the U.K. If they move away from shoping malls a lot of the malls will not get replacement outlets to pay the rent and will go downhill
    You can see that Dundrum Town Centre is moving from being less about shopping and more about entertainment, with the bowling moving into Hamleys, and the large number of food and drink establishments.

If House of Fraser finally give up the ghost, it will be very, very difficult to fill that space again with retail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If House of Fraser finally give up the ghost, it will be very, very difficult to fill that space again with retail.

If that happens they will reconfigure the space, split it up into smaller units with different units. UK shopping centres have had to do that where HOF have downsized/moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Windsor Deansgrange is now Opel, was Nissan

Opel is an additional franchise, they are still very much a Nissan dealer.

It's a peculiar move, the PSA Group consists of Citroen, Peugeot and (since 2017), Opel. They are in talks to merge with Fiat Chrysler and I can't see any affinity with Nissan.

https://windsordeansgrange.nissan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You can see that Dundrum Town Centre is moving from being less about shopping and more about entertainment, with the bowling moving into Hamleys, and the large number of food and drink establishments.

SportsDirect is rebranding a nice bet of its Uk stores as Frasers bringing it further down market. Fact is, future of shopping centres is as multi-utility, ie shopping, entertainment, food & beverage, perhaps even services like crèches, GP surgeries etc. Dundrum is lucky that it has a good local customer base. By contrast, many US mega malls are in serious trouble with vacancies. Business models need to change, clicks and bricks etc. Stores becoming shop windows with fulfilment by delivery etc rather than maintaining dispersed stocks where they cannot compete with online for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

The Nal wrote: »

That's a shame.....was busy any time i was there, or passed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Grid. wrote: »
    That's a shame.....was busy any time i was there, or passed by.

Yeah I used to go quite a bit but they really need constant business to sustain the amount of fancy food they had in the place. A lot of waste I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Marcusm wrote: »
    SportsDirect is rebranding a nice bet of its Uk stores as Frasers bringing it further down market. Stores becoming shop windows with fulfilment by delivery etc rather than maintaining dispersed stocks where they cannot compete with online for price.
    About 10 HOF stores are being rebranded as Frasers - it is a more premium brand very much like Brown Thomas and probably not suited to Dundrum. Solely selling designer labels.

I think 2020 will see several big name online retailers fail. Delivery and costs of returns is having a phenomenal affect especially on clothing etailers.

Shopping centres will become more entertainment/food led with the retail stores becoming less prominent.

The far east will show how its moving - in Singapore you even have petting zoos in shopping centres

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Game Stop branch in Dun Laoghaire has a sign up that it is closing in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »

They're closing a lot of their shops worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont see how GS Bray will survive either, its always completely empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

silver2020 wrote: »
    About 10 HOF stores are being rebranded as Frasers - it is a more premium brand very much like Brown Thomas and probably not suited to Dundrum. Solely selling designer labels.

I think 2020 will see several big name online retailers fail. Delivery and costs of returns is having a phenomenal affect especially on clothing etailers.

Shopping centres will become more entertainment/food led with the retail stores becoming less prominent.

The far east will show how its moving - in Singapore you even have petting zoos in shopping centres

Flannels you mean ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

High end not suited to Dundrum? Maybe not the size of the existing store but you have Harvey Nichols which is high end ish.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Flannels you mean ?

It could change to Flannels which is part of Sports Direct too and probably more suited to Dundrum than the Frasers concept which is at the very high end.

I think the House of Fraser brand is just too dull to survive in locations such as Dundrum

Re Frasers, you need to read behind the bumpf they’ve been putting out. They claim it is moving upmarket but just look at the locations they’re targeting, Wolverhampton etc. It certainly will not be Brown Thomas-like as brands such as LV, Hermes etc would not take space in a Mike Ashley outfit. It will be above the Slazenger/Dunlop stuff he’s chucking around in Spirts Direct but not appreciably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Re Frasers, you need to read behind the bumpf they’ve been putting out. They claim it is moving upmarket but just look at the locations they’re targeting, Wolverhampton etc. It certainly will not be Brown Thomas-like as brands such as LV, Hermes etc would not take space in a Mike Ashley outfit. It will be above the Slazenger/Dunlop stuff he’s chucking around in Spirts Direct but not appreciably so.

thats why flannels makes more sense to me,

would fit better in dundrum.

I'd say you need to ignore much of what the gutter press say.
    Many in the media don't like Ashley's style, but he has saved many retail stores and suppliers have no issue supporting his stores.

In Wolverhampton he has taken a 8,500sqm store over 4 levels (about 95,000 sq ft) and putting 4 different concepts - one on each floor. Flannels, Frasers, Sports Direct & USC. Possibly this would work in Dundrum.

But it needs something - as the current style in Dundrum is just utterly boring and the staff not much help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Many in the media don't like Ashley's style, but he has saved many retail stores and suppliers have no issue supporting his stores.

In Wolverhampton he has taken a 8,500sqm store over 4 levels (about 95,000 sq ft) and putting 4 different concepts - one on each floor. Flannels, Frasers, Sports Direct & USC. Possibly this would work in Dundrum.

But it needs something - as the current style in Dundrum is just utterly boring and the staff not much help either.

Planning has been submitted to divide the HOF unit into 2 retail units. (Ref10019)

Gutter press? Wolverhampton’s average and median annual income is 10% or more below the U.K. average (which is £33k) and the unemployment rate is nearly 70% above the U.K. rate. It’s not a location for a Brown Thomas-type store!

As for suppliers supporting Ashley (whom I admire!), Adidas,Nike etc will not provide him with their mainline brands for his SD stores hence the move upmarket in certain niches. However, it is only moving up to the mainstream not to high fashion or luxury goods brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Simpsonsfan17

Larbre34 wrote: »

Do you know if they're having a closing down sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you know if they're having a closing down sale?

I don't know, but their last day open is the 18th.

Advertisement