Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Steps of Rome, Milltown.
    Closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If that happens they will reconfigure the space, split it up into smaller units with different units. UK shopping centres have had to do that where HOF have downsized/moved out.

Sure, but that's still an awful lot of space to be used, even in smaller units.

Steps of Rome, Milltown.
    Closed down.
    They only moved into that location about a year ago, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Pure Pharmacy are opening upstairs in Frascati beside teh new medical centre in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Paper Lane in Rathfarnham Shopping Centre closed. That's been there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Possible closure of HOF in dundrum. See article in today's Indo. It would make a great Dunne's. They are gone upmarket these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Possible closure of HOF in dundrum. See article in today's Indo. It would make a great Dunne's. They are gone upmarket these days.

What a coincidence someone posted the planning ref here jusr yesterday (that wasnt new) and it appears in the Indo today.....

They may not close fully, just one or more floors (reconfiguring they call it, they have done it in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They won't put a Dunnes in with Tesco in the centre. It'll be in Tesco's contract. And with Fallon and Byrne there too this year, they'll be at capacity for food stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They won't put a Dunnes in with Tesco in the centre. It'll be in Tesco's contract. And with Fallon and Byrne there too this year, they'll be at capacity for food stores.

It could be a non food Dunnes like Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It could be a non food Dunnes like Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire etc.

Over three stories? LOL! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is there any realistic prospect of F& B opening? The closure of Rathmines was announced with a statement that they would refocus on Exchequer Street and Oeople’s Park. Together with rumoured rent arrears at Swan Centre, will they be in a position to make the commitment? They were seeking investment last April for expansion but there was never an announcement that the investment was secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Dundrum are looking for planning exemption to change the HOF store into two individual stores. One of which will be a single floor store.

Dunne Home / Clothing would fit in quite well and be a welcome addition to the centre
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Is there any realistic prospect of F& B opening? The closure of Rathmines was announced with a statement that they would refocus on Exchequer Street and Oeople’s Park. Together with rumoured rent arrears at Swan Centre, will they be in a position to make the commitment? They were seeking investment last April for expansion but there was never an announcement that the investment was secured.

They were looking for €6m external finance last april. I would suspect that it didn't get off the ground.

And if Rathmines didn't work, its unlikely Dundrum would work.

There's a lot to be said for concentrating on one single outlet and put all energies into that being the best you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Big Nasty wrote: »

The Green is

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Purty Kitchen has closed for a major renovation. Due to reopen Feb 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Purty Kitchen has closed for a major renovation. Due to reopen Feb 10th.

The Supper Club upstairs remains open for gigs.

Hogans Butchers on Wexford St closed. Another institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

silver2020 wrote: »

Dunne Home / Clothing would fit in quite well and be a welcome addition to the centre

M&S would disagree I'd say. And as a big anchor tenant themselves may have something in their contract preventing such similar competition moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Green is

Yeah, but they've got a grocery dept, right?

Dundrum are looking for planning exemption to change the HOF store into two individual stores. One of which will be a single floor store.

They were looking for €6m external finance last april. I would suspect that it didn't get off the ground.

There's a lot to be said for concentrating on one single outlet and put all energies into that being the best you can make it.

Comparing the Swan Centre to Dundrum in terms of footfall ?!?!

Pure speculation my part but I'd say they pulled the plug on Rathmines to concentrate on Dundrum.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Pure speculation my part but I'd say they pulled the plug on Rathmines to concentrate on Dundrum.

Exactly what they're doing. They can't afford both. Finances in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Debenhams would also fit and is 30% owned by sports direct.

Would Dunnes pay the high rent ?

Rathmines and Dundrum are very different, saying that Dundrum wouldn’t work because Rathmines didn’t is a big leap.

I’d say the footfall is many times greater in Dundrum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Comparing the Swan Centre to Dundrum in terms of footfall ?!?!

ted1 wrote: »
    Debenhams would also fit and is 30% owned by sports direct.

Would Dunnes pay the high rent ?

Rathmines and Dundrum are very different, saying that Dundrum wouldn’t work because Rathmines didn’t is a big leap.

I’d say the footfall is many times greater in Dundrum

Debenhams is currently in administration and sports direct no longer have any share since Debenhams was effectively taken over by its bankers. They are also in the midst of a major downsizing. 20 stores this week in the uk closing and another 50 within the year.

Rathmines and Dundrum are different, but both are suburbs. The rent in Dundrum would be substantially higher due to higher footfall, but would enough people buy a load of high price groceries in a high end supermarket when both Tesco & M&S are near neighbours and when parking beside the store will be a big issue?
    Maybe something that is very much a sit in food hall restaurant style with a small grocery food offering is what they plan. That would be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Debenhams is currently in administration and sports direct no longer have any share since Debenhams was effectively taken over by its bankers. They are also in the midst of a major downsizing. 20 stores this week in the uk closing and another 50 within the year.

Rathmines and Dundrum are different, but both are suburbs. The rent in Dundrum would be substantially higher due to higher footfall, but would enough people buy a load of high price groceries in a high end supermarket when both Tesco & M&S are near neighbours and when parking beside the store will be a big issue?
    Maybe something that is very much a sit in food hall restaurant style with a small grocery food offering is what they plan. That would be a nice addition.

I believe it’s more of a restaurant, deli than a grocer

ted1 wrote: »
    I believe it’s more of a restaurant, deli than a grocer

Yep - is part of the new food quarter they are developing.

Dundrum has the M50, luas and existing large footprint - Rathmines has none of these.

Harvey Nichols has a high end small supermarket in it.

While we are speculating, one tenant of the existing sliced up HoF site could be Apple (probably too big though).

Before they applied for planning permission to slice it up I thought Harvey Nichols may move into the main shopping centre as it's sort of out on its own, suppose it still could (on a smaller scale).

John Lewis wanted to come to Ireland years ago but with Brexit and problems on its home turf (UK) doubt that will happen in fact doubt it will be a UK retailer taking part or all of the space vacated by HoF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not exactly a recent business closure, but does anyone know what team used to be based in the fenced off building at the end of Loughlinstown Wood?

SgzPQRD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It says "Loughlinstown FC" above the door. Not much online after 2008 for them.

Yeah its the old Loughlinstown Celtic/FC changing rooms. I played there a few times. Don't think the club exists anymore.

Seems the redevelopment of the Leisureplex complex in Stilorgan is delayed because the bowling alley operator won't vacate...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/q-a-what-s-this-about-a-dispute-over-stillorgan-s-leisureplex-1.4139398?mode=amp

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sure Dunnes Stores would be the sort of shop Dundrum are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

awec wrote: »

St. Stephen's Green and Cornelscourt are doing fine. Are they located in the type of areas you think are more suited to Dunnes?

I see you're a mod on the Rugby forum - Paul Howard would be proud of you.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

Why not? Sheridans Cheesemongers, James Whelans butchers, Paul Costelloe, Lennon Courtney etc. I can't think of anywhere more suitable.

Advertisement