Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Bose closing all 119 stores, incl. Dundrum. All going online.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Bose closing all 119 stores, incl. Dundrum. All going online.

Can't say I'm suprised with online sales and the fact they are also stocked by other retailers.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/21067715/bose-shutting-down-retail-stores-layoffs-north-america-europe-japan-australia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm suprised with online sales and the fact they are also stocked by other retailers.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/21067715/bose-shutting-down-retail-stores-layoffs-north-america-europe-japan-australia
    I always go in there for a look in Dundrum but Ill never buy anything in there and I have literally never seen another customer in there, its been a permanently empty shop for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Nal wrote: »
    Why not? Sheridans Cheesemongers, James Whelans butchers, Paul Costelloe, Lennon Courtney etc. I can't think of anywhere more suitable.

Tesco will have a contract as an anchor tenant. They can't put a Dunnes food hall in there. Clothes maybe (a la Stillorgan) but not food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Thargor wrote: »
    I always go in there for a look in Dundrum but Ill never buy anything in there and I have literally never seen another customer in there, its been a permanently empty shop for years and years.

I would like to know much rent Bose currently pays for their Dundrum store every year.

I reckon that it is an astronomical amount of money to pay to the management of the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Nal wrote: »
    Why not? Sheridans Cheesemongers, James Whelans butchers, Paul Costelloe, Lennon Courtney etc. I can't think of anywhere more suitable.

All Dunnes brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With Amazon Echos and Google home not being people are buying other speakers

ted1 wrote: »
    With Amazon Echos and Google home not being people are buying other speakers

As a big Google home man, in fairness smart speakers can't be compared to Bose.

The brand will live on, just not via their own standalone outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would like to know much rent Bose currently pays for their Dundrum store every year.
    I always viewed those spacious 1 brand only shops as expensive advertising billboards. Not really there to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ted1 wrote: »
    All Dunnes brands.

James Whelan Butchers is not a Dunnes brand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

awec wrote: »
    Not sure Dunnes Stores would be the sort of shop Dundrum are after.

That will be news to the very large and successful Penny's shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RosieJoe wrote: »
    James Whelan Butchers is not a Dunnes brand.

Not sure if you are itching for a tiresome argument in semantics or genuinely did not know, but dunnes own them.

https://www.thejournal.ie/james-whelan-butchers-dunnes-stores-2-3713094-Nov2017/

so likely to be in a dundrum shop
    Legacy brand

Since the sale, Whelan has opened up three new butcher shops in Dunnes Stores outlets and invested significantly in hiring new staff – just over a hundred people now work for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rubadub wrote: »
    Not sure if you are itching for a tiresome argument in semantics or genuinely did not know, but dunnes own them.

https://www.thejournal.ie/james-whelan-butchers-dunnes-stores-2-3713094-Nov2017/

so likely to be in a dundrum shop

Sorry my mistake. I always though James Whelan was an independent butchers. Never knew they were owned by Dunnes now. And apologies to Ted1.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That will be news to the very large and successful Penny's shop...

Exactly, they already have the cheap clothes shop option there. M+S there for those that like wearing dad jeans and the likes.

Tesco will have the food side of things sewn up, so forget about the foodhall.

Replacing a HoF with the likes of a Dunnes would a fair step down. You're going from high end fashion labels, fragrances, jewellery by the likes of Michael Kors etc, to Dunnes. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Exactly, they already have the cheap clothes shop option there. M+S there for those that like wearing dad jeans and the likes.

Replacing a HoF with the likes of a Dunnes would a fair step down. You're going from high end fashion labels, fragrances, jewellery by the likes of Michael Kors etc, to Dunnes. No chance.

Dunnes have been moving away from cheap clothes for awhile now, if there was any stumbling block for a Dunnes in Dundrum it would more likely be Margaret refusing to pay the rent asked

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dunnes have been moving away from cheap clothes for awhile now, if there was any stumbling block for a Dunnes in Dundrum it would more likely be Margaret refusing to pay the rent asked

Ah it's still fairly cheap clothes compared to what it would be replacing. Totally different market.

HoF was a fairly unique draw for Dundrum. Dunnes would just be yet another Dunnes, and there's no shortage of them in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What do you mean "step down"? The management may have no interest in that and will just be looking for who will pay for the unit.

Sure many shopping centres have competing large grocery stores.

No point having high end when they can't pay the rent.

Its Dunnes or an empty anchor store - its that simple.

I see another unit is gone. Karen Millen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its extremely unlikely to be Dunnes due to Tesco and M&S having contractual guarantees against competitors. They're also not going to leave it empty for obvious reasons.

The most likely outcome is a re-engineering of the space into quite a few smaller units that would be suitable for a wider variety of potential tenants.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its extremely unlikely to be Dunnes due to Tesco and M&S having contractual guarantees against competitors. They're also not going to leave it empty for obvious reasons.

The most likely outcome is a re-engineering of the space into quite a few smaller units that would be suitable for a wider variety of potential tenants.

Reconfiguring existing HOF footprint to smaller units is what's happening in the UK and ties in with the planning permission Dundrum TC have submitted to chop the HOF store into 2 units. Any further reconfiguring would need further planning permission.

Ireland may get its first Apple store yet, or perhaps a Currys.

I heard Boots were looking for a bigger site in Dundrum a year or so back (a bit like Liffey Valley). Not sure when the pharmacy exclusivity deal with MCabea runs out but Boots could still have a bigger store without the pharmacy counter (for now).

• Advertisement

What about Dealz ?
    They are looking to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I could leave a suggestion. Maybe Apple could take over the former Bose unit in Dundrum TC as that's moving out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I could leave a suggestion. Maybe Apple could take over the former Bose unit in Dundrum TC as that's moving out soon.

It would make no sense whatsoever to open an Apple shop in the same SC as the existing Compu-B store. Which is an Apple shop in all but name. They do sell a range of accessories which you may or may not be able to buy in an Apple shop but all of the devices on display in the Compu-B store in Dundrum are Apple.

What about Dealz ?
    They are looking to expand.

Would say a 2 level shop in Dundrum would be far too big for them, the brand is not really in line with Hammersmiths image for the centre I wouldn't have thought either.

coylemj wrote: »
    It would make no sense whatsoever to open an Apple shop in the same SC as the existing Compu-B store. Which is an Apple shop in all but name. They do sell a range of accessories which you may or may not be able to buy in an Apple shop but all of the devices on display in the Compu-B store in Dundrum are Apple.

No genius bar (service) though in Compub and apple stores have much more kit on show (resellers like Compub don't), we must be the only large/capital city in Europe without one...sure Cardiff and Bristol even have their own (ironic given how many people Apple employ here).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No genius bar (service) though in Compub and apple stores have much more kit on show (resellers like Compub don't), we must be the only large/capital city in Europe without one...sure Cardiff and Bristol even have their own (ironic given how many people Apple employ here).

Accept that but you have to assume that the owners of Compu-B wouldn't have leased that shop at the bottom of Grafton St. or taken that prime unit on the ground floor in Dundrum TC without some kind of guarantee from Apple that they would not open in direct competition before a certain date. I know Compu-B have other stores but in terms of rental and footfall, those two are probably by far their most important outlets.

The quickest route for Apple to open retail operations here is for them to buy out Compu-B.

coylemj wrote: »

The quickest route for Apple to open retail operations here is for them to buy out Compu-B.

Chicken feed for the world's wealthiest company if it came to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Joseph Kramer in Stillorgan ceased trading. Am a client and got a short text earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Joseph Kramer in Stillorgan ceased trading. Am a client and got a short text earlier

Wow, I always find it surprising when you see business like that that have withstood the depths of the recession closing up in better times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Sylvio's in Templeogue Village seems to be closed. Very surprised, it's always busy when passing.

Advertisement