Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

New mexican restaurant/takeaway in stillorgen el porko loco beside apache pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

stehyl15 wrote: »

Interesting - have you tried it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

stehyl15 wrote: »

That's been there at least 6 months at this stage! It's ok, nothing to write home about imo.

A friend told me another cafe is too open where the movie cafe place and more recently three beans cafe was suposed 2 be called the happy hippo or the hungry hippo or something like that. Its mad considering two cafes have opened and closed within the space of a 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Larbre34 wrote: »
    By the way, theres a Tesco Express to be built on the Glenageary Road in the Golf Club development, work is underway. That should badly affect the Monkstown Farm shops as well as Centra Glenageary roundabout

on the currently undeveloped side?

applegreen in the farm has already closed its deli section and let a few staff go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

on the currently undeveloped side?

applegreen in the farm has already closed its deli section and let a few staff go

No, on the left side as you drive from Sallynoggin/Glenageary roundabout toward the farm. The side with houses/apts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Slightly off topic, but when was it that Tesco Express opened in Ranelagh? I was in here today for the first time and it is tiny! Smaller than a lot of Spars/Centras.

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, Lidl Ranelagh has opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Aard wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but when was it that Tesco Express opened in Ranelagh? I was in here today for the first time and it is tiny! Smaller than a lot of Spars/Centras.

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, Lidl Ranelagh has opened up.
    Yes, a considerable number of new businesses have opened in Ranelagh recently, including both the new Tesco Express and Lidl. The new BOI building that seemed to take an age to complete also looks open for business. Hard to think of anywhere else in Dublin (or further afield?) with such a demand for new retail units.

I know this not really a business but the liabary in deansgrange has reopened after an extensive renovation looks nice must go in someday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only deli that ever managed to burn a cheese toastie on me. Twice. In a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

MYOB wrote: »
    The only deli that ever managed to burn a cheese toastie on me. Twice. In a row.

You my friend have led a charmed cheese toastie life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    No, on the left side as you drive from Sallynoggin/Glenageary roundabout toward the farm. The side with houses/apts already.

seen the notice yesterday alright

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Heard Mao is to open on Braemor Road where Spar has been for ages, its always been a newsagents, as long as I have been around anyway, it will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭flowerpower12

New nail place "New York Nails" opening opposite Alex's newsagent on Georges St Dun Laoghaire.

P.s. if anyone can find a link to the place for prices please let me know! Cheers

An indian restaurant is opening in the old thai restaurant in cabinteely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Another empty shop in DL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a very hard hit. Always seemed fairly busy to me. A high end shop, big staff compliment, good high street name that would have brought passing trade to the nearby shops. Dun Laoghaire is well and truly a retail black hole. Needs urgent action for rejuvenation from authorities and local interests.

My sympathies are with are with the staff who delivered very good service, hope they get fixed up elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That is a real body blow for Dun Laoghaire.

Best wishes to all the staff there. M&S always have helpful and polite staff and DL was no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Tabnabs wrote: »

Noooooo! Guess i'll be heading to Dundrum in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

gillapino wrote: »
    Noooooo! Guess i'll be heading to Dundrum in future.

Don't forget the Frascati centre in Blackrock. Miles easier to shop in than Dun Laoghaire. Car parking right outside the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Superquinn to rebrand as SuperValue is a bit of a surprise.

I wonder what steps the council are taking to try and persuade M&S to change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Synode wrote: »
    Superquinn to rebrand as SuperValue is a bit of a surprise.

It's the end of the world as we know it. Supervalu (do they use the 'e' at the end?) sausages just does *not* have the same ring to it as superquinn sausages.

On the M&S front, this is definitely a blow for DL. I may be over generalising here, but this strikes (struck) me as one of the only recent big investments in the area in a while and as near as you can get to a main street anchor tenant. If Pennys pull out then the place will be entirely sunk.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    It's the end of the world as we know it. Supervalu (do they use the 'e' at the end?) sausages just does *not* have the same ring to it as superquinn sausages.

On the M&S front, this is definitely a blow for DL. I may be over generalising here, but this strikes (struck) me as one of the only recent big investments in the area in a while and as near as you can get to a main street anchor tenant. If Pennys pull out then the place will be entirely sunk.

z

The M&S store is hardly recent though - it has been there for at least 5 years I think?
    Bottom line is the store was unprofitable. Not sure there's much the council can do - if they don't get enough customers walking past they can't get enough money.

fjon wrote: »
    The M&S store is hardly recent though - it has been there for at least 5 years I think?
    Bottom line is the store was unprofitable. Not sure there's much the council can do - if they don't get enough customers walking past they can't get enough money.

I would suggest rent and rates are the stores biggest costs, the council can help with at least one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

M&S closing in DL is a real shame :(
    I'm a regular customer there and to me it always seemed pretty busy. I'm guessing they have relatively high staff costs. It's a tricky one to manage because they only seem to get really busy in fits and spurts but still need to have the extra staff on duty to cover these peaks.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It must be the rents in the case of M&S Dun Laoghaire. The rates are the same for all shops relatively speaking, but the rents vary a lot, evidenced by the fact that a lot of small business shops have opened up.

M&S opened up in 2003, and are now saying the store is unprofitable, though clearly its busy. They probably bought into a lease at a high level and now it exceeds any revenue the store is making.

I've very occasionally seen it busy in there, but mostly it there have been around 3 other people whenever I visited.

I know most blame the council for the rent and the parking rates, but I think a bigger factor is the lack of footfall. M&S was profitable for a good few years until DL turned into the ghost town it is now.

I was talking briefly to the owner of the now closed Readers shop. His closure had nothing at all to do with rent, he simply got less and less customers in the last 3 or 4 years.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It must be the rents in the case of M&S Dun Laoghaire. The rates are the same for all shops relatively speaking, but the rents vary a lot, evidenced by the fact that a lot of small business shops have opened up.

M&S opened up in 2003, and are now saying the store is unprofitable, though clearly its busy. They probably bought into a lease at a high level and now it exceeds any revenue the store is making.

If they opened in 2003 then their lease is probably up for renewal and the turnover of the store just isn't worth it.

With the continuance of the dart covering scheme and the New library, I wonder if the council plan to just ignore George's street in the hope it might just go away.

Advertisement