Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Bailey and Pim is closing in Dun Laoghaire, the Greystones branch remains open.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Cookbook Cafe in Glasthule is closing on Sunday 8th.

Apparatnly the business has been sold though, so it will remain a restaurant.

Also in that area, the former Spar in Sandycove that has been vacant for 3 years is coming back on the market..

No work started on the closed Eagle House, with the local rumour that the new owners are already looking to move it on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

strandroad wrote: »
    Bailey and Pim is closing in Dun Laoghaire, the Greystones branch remains open.

Like charity shops, DL is oversupplied with coffee shop and cafes. Good thing the Council are spending millions to develop the old baths site to install, a coffee shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Like charity shops, DL is oversupplied with coffee shop and cafes. Good thing the Council are spending millions to develop the old baths site to install, a coffee shop...

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the full scope of the project.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah yes, I'm forgetting the artist in residence space. Because the €36m library building located immediately behind the baths, with it's fine bespoke art and multimedia gallery is clearly not enough arts for DLRCoCo.

Dundrum, Sandyford? no, no, keep it all contained within DL seafront.
    The existing Baths Pavilion together with a smaller outbuilding will be retained, weathered and secured while the remaining dilapidated outbuildings to the rear and side of the Pavilion will be removed. It is proposed to fit out the Pavilion to accommodate studio space for artists and to provide gallery and café facilities. The studios will be managed by the Arts Department. The original Baths entrance along Windsor Terrace will be restored to provide access. An outdoor ‘café terrace’ linked to the new café will provide an attractive sitting area for viewing eating and relaxing. It is also proposed to create new public toilets facilities at street level which will also be accessible for wheelchair users. Footpaths along Windsor Terrace will be upgraded, and new street trees planted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The Cookbook Cafe in Glasthule is closing on Sunday 8th.

Apparatnly the business has been sold though, so it will remain a restaurant.

Also in that area, the former Spar in Sandycove that has been vacant for 3 years is coming back on the market..

No work started on the closed Eagle House, with the local rumour that the new owners are already looking to move it on.

pity, cookbook was a nice cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ah yes, I'm forgetting the artist in residence space. Because the €36m library building located immediately behind the baths, with it's fine bespoke art and multimedia gallery is clearly not enough arts for DLRCoCo.

where better for artists than the seafront

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dundrum has a theatre and there are plans for a gallery and new library on the old Shopping Centre site as part of its redevelopment.

I wouldn't disagree that the Baths redevelopment isnt perfect, but lets not forget its only that way because of nimbyism in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the full scope of the project.

Fill in the pools. Build a footpath add a jetty . Am I missing anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

ted1 wrote: »
    Fill in the pools. Build a footpath add a jetty . Am I missing anything ?

9ft tall statue of Roger Casement on top of the plinth thats gone up on the jetty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Organised Shop, outside near TK Maxx at Dundrum have opened a cafe, presumably upstairs as they day it has a view.

From the DTC Facebook page...

The Organised Store has opened The O’Café instore. The O’Cafe is a wonderful, bright, calm space, with fantastic views over the local Dublin Mountains, serving delicious healthy food, prepared locally and delivered fresh every morning.

The food is prepared by local Chef Enda Mc Mahon of Gill & Hock and includes a wide variety of salad options as well as chicken, salmon, lasagne, vegetarian quiche, Frittata, homemade soup with options to suite vegetarians, vegan and celiac diet. Our cakes and treats are delicious and are prepared and delivered fresh daily by Baker Street Bakery in Glasthule. Be sure to pop in and have some treats! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Not a business, well more a service but the DLR pool in Meadowbrook is closed until 'later in the year' according to their facebook.

https://dlrleisure.ie/dlr-leisure-meadowbrook/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Not a business, well more a service but the DLR pool in Meadowbrook is closed until 'later in the year' according to their facebook.

https://dlrleisure.ie/dlr-leisure-meadowbrook/

Another pool gone forever so.
    Stillorgan is still unavailable 7 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

At first I thought you were annoyed with the amount of gyms in that area!

like "FFS another charity/coffee shop in dun laoghaire!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Another pool gone forever so.
    Stillorgan is still unavailable 7 years later.

Are the 2 pool situations comparable?

I thought Meadowbrook was closed for some retiling?
    Glenalbyn had significant roof structural issues and the council were unable to secure access to the site from the GAA so the funding was no longer ringfenced.
    There wouldn't appear to be any such issues for the Meadowbrook location.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm not so sure

Meadowbrook is to be closed 'until later in the year' with daily revenue lost to include numerous school swimming sessions

Sounds a bit much for fixing a few tiles

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For the ladies, Mink the beautician (Ballsbridge and Donnybrook) are expanding and will open in Monkstown soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Any word on what's happening Penneys (Rathfarnham) retail space? I'm in dread of it being another Dealz or Costa.

I feel like it was my fault :rolleyes: Dealz it seems, open day coming up for staff 20 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I feel like it was my fault :rolleyes: Dealz it seems, open day coming up for staff 20 March.

Really yeah? Shíte. Any links etc?

• Advertisement

Someone I know shared it from Knocklyon Network fb page:
    Dealz to move into Penney’s store in Rathfarnham shopping centre. Also clothing section from its sister company Pep & Co. Recruiting staff.
    Open day 20th March 9.00 am to 17.30 pm at Nutgrove Enterprise Centre. Bring along your CV.

Someone I know shared it from Knocklyon Network fb page:

Would they keep the Nutgrove store open ?

Can't see why not, they're popping up everywhere now, that's why I wondered originally might it be them. Anyway, I'd say footfall in Nutgrove area is higher, and both stores within 1/2 km of each other there always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

ted1 wrote: »
    Would they keep the Nutgrove store open ?

The Nutgrove store, yes, but they'd probably relinquish the Nutgrove retail park store if someone took it from them - never seen many people in it.

Can't see why not, they're popping up everywhere now, that's why I wondered originally might it be them. Anyway, I'd say footfall in Nutgrove area is higher, and both stores within 1/2 km of each other there always busy.

Nutgrove and Rathfarnham shopping centre are 3k from each other. Two different areas and consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I think poster was referring to the two Dealz outlets at Nutgrove, one in the shopping centre and a bigger one across from Lidl in the Retail/Office park.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I think poster was referring to the two Dealz outlets at Nutgrove, one in the shopping centre and a bigger one across from Lidl in the Retail/Office park.

Aha sorry yeah one across from Lidl there isn't it?

Interested to see how they get on in the more affluent Butterfield area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The Nal wrote: »
    Aha sorry yeah one across from Lidl there isn't it?

Interested to see how they get on in the more affluent Butterfield area.

It's a horrible looking SC for an affluent area tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Garlinge wrote: »

The one in the shoppong centre itself is tiny while the one opposite Lidl has both a dealz and their clothing but in it.

• Advertisement

The one in the shoppong centre itself is tiny while the one opposite Lidl has both a dealz and their clothing but in it.

Yep talking about the one behind the fire station. Which carries their PepCo range, which is what they will try with the old Penney’s store.

I didn’t think the present location is the right place for selling clothes

Advertisement