Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

While this seems like a good idea, bring brutally honest, I’d be apprehensive about buying a voucher/gift card for a restaurant or shop that goes bust after all this
    Hopefully most will be able to reopen but realistically some won’t through no fault of their own
    Supporting those restaurants that are doing takeaway /collection would be a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Voucher Connect (who will waive fees during the shutdown).
    Are they getting rid of fees on both sides? I see they usually take from the retailer and then also the customer.

I would be wary of buying restaurant vouchers at the best of times, and only get them for well established places that I am confident will not go bust -but nowadays that would be extremely few. If I could think of a place I would be confident to buy from they are likely so well established that they would not really need the money.

The other way to help takeaways would be to buy more than usual with the intention of reheating. I was going to get 2 or 3 currys in my local, as they keep well. The likes of bombay pantry already sell chilled dishes from their takeaways, they did this well before they sold in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hatch Coffee in Glasthule are opening a branch in Blackrock!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just in time for the closure order for all restaurants and cafes which will be announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i like hatch

a lot

i try go there most weekends

but to open in blackrock seems bananas on the same stretch as bear and the art of coffee, surely monkstown would be a better bet, or even on the main street in dalkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

coylemj wrote: »
    Just in time for the closure order for all restaurants and cafes which will be announced today.

In fairness they are only renovating the place atm so that would take a few weeks at least - it's probably a good time!

Blackrock is blessed with great coffee shops already though as Cyrus pointed out - maybe the best coffee area in Dublin now for choice and quality.

Saw somebody asking Varadkar if restaurants not allowed to do takeaways will be able to, said he would look into it.

Which reminded me of this thread and that kebab place in foxrock which did not do takeaway. They are doing it now. I wonder if they were always able to

90683310_3575988789143220_4780552003518464_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=kt65K6LGV_0AX9tTB36&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=c99b81138be0956dd9f45910422f8e81&oe=5E9DFB77

https://www.facebook.com/kerb.dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was in Petland in Blackrock today. The lady working there told me that they are to remain open.

A-Wash in Newtownpark Avenue on the other hand has it's shutters down at around 5pm today.

Would all Dealz stores remain open during this crisis as they sell food stuffs in their shops?

Are all barber shops closed for business in SC Dublin as well? There is one beside Blackrock Credit Union that's shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Are all barber shops closed for business in SC Dublin as well? There is one beside Blackrock Credit Union that's shut.

Yes - these are one of the types of outlets that were specifically named to close.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dundrum Town Centre have updated their list of stores that will remain open...

M&S
    Tesco
    McCabe Pharmacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rubadub wrote: »
    The other way to help takeaways would be to buy more than usual with the intention of reheating. I was going to get 2 or 3 currys in my local, as they keep well. The likes of bombay pantry already sell chilled dishes from their takeaways, they did this well before they sold in supermarkets.
    Saw somebody asking Varadkar if restaurants not allowed to do takeaways will be able to, said he would look into it.

Which reminded me of this thread and that kebab place in foxrock which did not do takeaway. They are doing it now. I wonder if they were always able to

https://www.facebook.com/kerb.dublin/
    Vanilla Pod doing take away at the weekend.
    I'd love to hear of any more places that are now doing takeaway meals - full meals, meat and two veg stuff and other menus too.

It will be one of the few things that people can continue to spend on at the moment, so it will help to keep the economy going - as well as giving us a break from the cooking. Our local Mao seemed to be flying even more than usual over the weekend.

I see Michaels in Mt Merrion getting lots of traction on Twitter around this;

https://twitter.com/michaelscodub

Other restaurants doing takeaways or deliveries are welcome, particularly Dundrum, Ballinteer, Rathfarnham, Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Igo Cafe in Sallynoggin are doing full meal deals. Great price and really nice food too

https://www.facebook.com/Igocafecakesandcatering/posts/1540073956142041
    As you now now we have closed, but we are doing meal deals for delivery 7 days a week. 6 meals for €25 or €5 per meal
    We will keep all staff on and no one will be let go. Staff will be paid. So we need all your support on our take away menu, it's the same quality food as in café. When this is all over, we will have a free day for all frontline staff, for full meals and our cakes, and a day for all our customers that stuck by us..
    So remember to order on face book messenger
    Or tel 015472655 or 0860344572

We will get through this, STAY INDOORS, CALL US, WE WILL DELIVER TO YOUR DOOR, NO CONTACT ����������
    FULL MENU
    BEEF LASAGNA
    CHICKEN CURRY WITH RICE
    CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM SAUCE
    PASTA CARBONARA
    PASTA BOLOGNAISE
    CHILLI CON CARNE
    CODDLE
    CHICKEN IN BELL PEPPER SAUCE
    MEAT BALLS IN MARINARA SAUCE
    6 MEALS FOR €25

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE SLICE
    DEEP FILLED APPLE PIE
    CARROT CAKE
    ALL CAKE SLICES €3

Leopardstown Delivery
    Order Baan Thai At Home
    We are now doing deliveries direct to your homes.
    We have reduced our prices by 20% when you order directly from us. You will find the cheaper prices in our menu below.
    If you would like a contact-free delivery please select “Call back and take card details via phone”.

http://www.baanthai.ie/leopardstown/leopardstown-delivery/

Rasam Restaurant (Glasthule)
    March 22 at 2:12 PM ·
    We are offering takeaways all weekend. It is also possible to email ( info@rasam.ie ) your takeaway order before 5 and we will ring you after 5 to take the payment and have your food ready, when suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I call it the Stinking Dump Shopping Centre and anything else is pure notions. ;)

A guy in work from outside of Dublin was scoffing at the thought of Barnhill Stores being a Dalkey address. I was telling him I was irregularly going there over ~35 years, had "great" and "great great" relatives living around there and that I had always heard it described as being in Dalkey and asked where he thought it was. With a tut he says Glenageary, as though it was obvious.

Saval Park Road is further down Barnhill road and is definitely in Dalkey. I always thought it marked the boundary with Killiney?
    FWIW eircode.ie lists the address as:

CENTRA
    11/12 BARNHILL ROAD
    DALKEY
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 F789

72 Castlepark road, the house opposite Centra over the mini roundabout is listed as:

72 CASTLEPARK ROAD
    SANDYCOVE
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 TW64

Your friend is wrong.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heard on the radio that Penny's have cancelled their unit move in Dundrum? That unit might be hard to shift now.

awec wrote: »
    Heard on the radio that Penny's have cancelled their unit move in Dundrum? That unit might be hard to shift now.

Cancelled or just reviewing the decision?

Obviously all part of the same group, assume the BT move will be up for review too.

With retailers having no idea whan things will return to normal ,(and in the case of Penny's having no online offering) assume any retailer looking at any footprint changes will be reassessing.

Supercell wrote: »
    Saval Park Road is further down Barnhill road and is definitely in Dalkey. I always thought it marked the boundary with Killiney?
    FWIW eircode.ie lists the address as:

CENTRA
    11/12 BARNHILL ROAD
    DALKEY
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 F789

72 Castlepark road, the house opposite Centra over the mini roundabout is listed as:

72 CASTLEPARK ROAD
    SANDYCOVE
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 TW64

Your friend is wrong.

the border between Sandycove and Dalkey basically runs up the centre line of Castlepark Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Does anyone know what the story is with M+S in the frascati centre?

Each time I've been out on a shopping run in the last ten days or so I've seen absolutely BONKERS queues for M+S when there are tiny (usually none at all) queues for Supervalu and Aldi.

One chap I asked said he been standing still in a queue of over thirty people for 10mins with no movement, have they been much more strict than the other shops with how many people they let in or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Must be just timing
    I went there on thurs lunchtime, 12.30, straight in, no one waiting outside, flew around and straight to checkout
    There was a staff member asking people to be as quick as possible and pay attention to distance

Been in M&S Dundrum.a few times and there's been more staff than customers in there during the day...

• Advertisement

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Must be just timing
    I went there on thurs lunchtime, 12.30, straight in, no one waiting outside, flew around and straight to checkout
    There was a staff member asking people to be as quick as possible and pay attention to distance

Ah cool, maybe I am a jinx!

Like this morning around 1015am, I had a look and estimated a wait of 60-90 mins to get in. That just seemed nuts when nowhere else had any queues at all

Not a closure but tesco seem to be closing an hour earlier in many places. So check yours.

Luckily I was getting beer so was there before 10pm, they usually close at 11pm and cars were still pulling in at 9:58pm. I would have purposely left it till after 10pm if I was not getting drink.

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Been in M&S Dundrum.a few times and there's been more staff than customers in there during the day...

Was there today. Was pretty peaceful. Staff not wearing gloves which was very odd. Stock levels were very hit and miss in the fresh food and meat sections. But the lack of frenzied crowds was excellent.

Was there today. Was pretty peaceful. Staff not wearing gloves which was very odd.
    Some would recommend this. I don't think staff in my tesco were wearing them, but were using sanitiser a lot.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html
    Disposable gloves
    Do not wear disposable gloves instead of washing your hands. The virus gets on them in the same way it gets on your hands. Also, your hands can get contaminated when you take them off.

Disposable gloves are worn in medical settings. They are not as effective in daily life.

Wearing disposable gloves can give you a false sense of security.

You might:

sneeze or cough into the gloves - this creates a new surface for the virus to live on
    contaminate yourself when taking off the gloves or touching surfaces
    not wash your hands as often as you need to and touch your face with contaminated gloves

Some would recommend this. I don't think staff in my tesco were wearing them, but were using sanitiser a lot.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html

Yeah I'd far rather staff just washed their hands regularly than wear the same pair of gloves for an hour or more. Totally defeats the purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JayRoc wrote: »
    Yeah I'd far rather staff just washed their hands regularly than wear the same pair of gloves for an hour or more. Totally defeats the purpose

That occurred to me in Cornelscourt when I was checking out and was asked for my Valueclub card. I had the fob version on a keyring, I had the Dunnes card sticking up and I expected her to let me scan it but she took it off me, scanned it and handed it back to me. Wearing the same pair of gloves she probably used to handle dozens of other customers' loyalty cards, discount vouchers and cash :eek:

On queuing, Cornelscourt is a disaster area. They're letting only a very small number of people onto the supermarket floor at a time which leads to a very slow moving queue. While nearing the top of the queue (where they let about 5 through at a time) the other day at about 7 p.m., I heard multiple announcements over the PA asking people already on the shop floor to basically get a move on!

When you get into the store, you'll find yourself in areas like around the meat shelves where you're the only customer but when you get to busy aisles where they stock essentials like breakfast cereals and people are pushing trolleys in both directions, you're passing barely one foot from other shoppers which makes the whole exercise a bit pointless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

JayRoc wrote: »

I live near cornelscourt, you see people get out of the cars, put gloves on,touch the trolley, shopping etc, then get into their cars and drive off with the gloves still on.
    Take them off before you cross contaiminate the steering wheel, then get a new pair when you get home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I was in Lidl on Wednesday and staff had gloves and medical style face shields. Either a more cautious employer, or a very different customer type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

coylemj wrote: »
    That occurred to me in Cornelscourt when I was checking out and was asked for my Valueclub card. I had the fob version on a keyring, I had the Dunnes card sticking up and I expected her to let me scan it but she took it off me, scanned it and handed it back to me. Wearing the same pair of gloves she probably used to handle dozens of other customers' loyalty cards, discount vouchers and cash :eek:

On queuing, Cornelscourt is a disaster area. They're letting only a very small number of people onto the supermarket floor at a time which leads to a very slow moving queue. While nearing the top of the queue (where they let about 5 through at a time) the other day at about 7 p.m., I heard multiple announcements over the PA asking people already on the shop floor to basically get a move on!

When you get into the store, you'll find yourself in areas like around the meat shelves where you're the only customer but when you get to busy aisles where they stock essentials like breakfast cereals and people are pushing trolleys in both directions, you're passing barely one foot from other shoppers which makes the whole exercise a bit pointless.

I would agree that the queue is slow moving but very well organised. Plenty of staff, free coffee, markings on the floor for the 2 metres, sanitised trolleys and hand sanitising on the way in. Took me an hour yesterday morning to start shopping from queueing but went around the shop quickly. People did seem to be shopping slower and moving slowly but maybe that was my imagination. The amount of people who spent ages looking at one shelf or range of products while 2 or 3 people stood patiently waiting for them was noticeable. Some people have little self awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rodhan

Urbun cafe in Cabinteely village was closed but they reopened from today for takeaway from 10-3 every day: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-o61tRH8QE

Also, the Veda Indian restaurant and the Tamra Thai restaurant in the village are both still working away for deliveries.

Unfortunately De-Luxe Chinese in the Park remains closed. I really miss their spice bag!

Advertisement