Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Urbun is a very nice place, best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Debenhams gone into liquidation. Another blow to Frascati SC.

From the Indo
    The Irish arm of Debenhams is set to be placed into liquidation, with staff told on Thursday that their jobs are gone.

The business employs more the 1,500 direct and indirect staff at 11 large department stores across the country.

The Irish business will shut following the UK parent being placed into administration, a form of insolvency protection.

Thats a savage blow, primarily for the staff of course, but a big presence on Henry Street, Blanch Centre, Tallaght etc.

It was in trouble before like most department stores and Covid will claim more big beasts before its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Debenhams gone into liquidation. Another blow to Frascati SC.

From the Indo

Am wondering if Frascati are now regretting the major expansion. Debenhams had 3 floors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

aoh wrote: »
    Am wondering if Frascati are now regretting the major expansion. Debenhams had 3 floors!

Not if they can persuade M&S to take the space. Homeware and clothes would do very well there. Debenhams suffered reputational damage from all the problems they were having in the UK, the shop in Frascati was pretty deserted the last few times I was there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Now on RTE

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0409/1129586-debenhams-pulling-out-of-ireland/

Who knows if M&S will replace it given COVID-19, I'll tell you something, the Blackrock store will need some refurb whoever goes in, is a dump.

Huge hole to fill on Henry Street.

Suprised they have lasted so long TBH, their fictious FX rates between pounds and euros have always been horrendous.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not if they can persuade M&S to take the space. Homeware and clothes would do very well there. Debenhams suffered reputational damage from all the problems they were having in the UK, the shop in Frascati was pretty deserted the last few times I was there.

A bigger Dundrum type of M&S would do great there. Lots of new apartments due to go on stream in the area over the next year too, bound to attract more people to the M&S. It gets pretty crowded in there at peak times. The Aldi is grand but Supervalu a bit sad. The homewares bit of Debenhams was very handy and the best part of it, so could work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's really disappointing news for Debenhams staff in Frascati in the lead up to Easter because they are the anchor tenant in the centre.

This pandemic has the potential to put the major expansion in Frascati & the retail sector as a whole into huge disarray this year. There is no guarantee for businesses who would want to start up new stores very quickly in these soon to be vacant Debenhams units around the country because of the big possibility of reduced football when this health emergency is officially declared over. The administrators really have a tough job on their hands in who could buy the units now to reduce the overall debt liability for Debenhams once their debts are being cleared.

M&S could buy & refurbish the unit from Debenhams in Frascati with permission from management. But that type of job does cost a lot of money. Are M&S at the moment seeing huge demand coming in from online shopping on their website when the other non-food parts from their business are in operation?

That's really disappointing news for Debenhams staff in Frascati in the lead up to Easter because they are the anchor tenant in the centre.

This pandemic has the potential to put the major expansion in Frascati & the retail sector as a whole into huge disarray this year. There is no guarantee for businesses who would want to start up new stores very quickly in these soon to be vacant Debenhams units around the country because of the big possibility of reduced football when this health emergency is officially declared over. The administrators really have a tough job on their hands in who could buy the units now to reduce the overall debt liability for Debenhams once their debts are being cleared.

M&S could buy & refurbish the unit from Debenhams in Frascati with permission from management. But that type of job does cost a lot of money. Are M&S at the moment seeing huge demand coming in from online shopping on their website when the other non-food parts from their business are in operation?

Debanhams are just tenants of the centre, it's up to the owner to find a replacement tenant not the administrators of the Irish business, doubt they are allowed to sublet anyway.

Owner will need to try to recoup any unpaid rent too.

As for refurbishing, the owner may need to do that as a carrot to attract a new tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Probably not , I’m sure it’ll help reduce their tax liabilities with other properties

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That Debenhams in the Frascati had to be one of the emptiest big stores in Dublin, for years aswell not just the current crisis, I often had the whole place to myself if I went in for a walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yep it was handy for kids gifts at Christmas and the odd household bit but apart from the bargain on Tom does aftershave a little while back it was hard to buy stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

I still miss Roche's Stores in Frescati!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Debanhams are just tenants of the centre, it's up to the owner to find a replacement tenant not the administrators of the Irish business, doubt they are allowed to sublet anyway.

Owner will need to try to recoup any unpaid rent too.

As for refurbishing, the owner may need to do that as a carrot to attract a new tenant.
    No chance of recouping unpaid rent, but i would assume all rent to end of March has been paid as it would have been due 1st Jan. If liquidators want to trade, they'll come to a licence agreement for the few weeks they will want to be open
    Debenhams not as attractive as they were 20 years ago. Easy to seperate the floor and make 2/3 units. Plenty of retailers looking for large space if price is right. JSYK & Homesense (TK Maxx home) are just two that come to mind
    ted1 wrote: »
    Probably not , I’m sure it’ll help reduce their tax liabilities with other properties
    I never understand this ridiculous argument that is put forward by people who tend not to understand business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has Killiney Beach been closed by the council?
    According to their website, only the carpark is closed.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/latest-dlr-info-covid19-response-locally-updated-regularly

But there were guards there this morning asking people coming off if they knew the beach was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

josip wrote: »

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/latest-dlr-info-covid19-response-locally-updated-regularly

But there were guards there this morning asking people coming off if they knew the beach was closed.

beach isn't closed afaik

Assumed all fast food outlets were shut but seems BK on Dun Laoghaire and Nutgrove are still open!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Coming off where?

You could clarify with some of the Councillors on Twitter if you like.

Assumed all fast food outlets were shut but seems BK on Dun Laoghaire and Nutgrove are still open!
    For take away only, presumably?

Coming off where?

You could clarify with some of the Councillors on Twitter if you like.

For take away only, presumably?

Yep, no seating in BK.

• Advertisement

Nope still open. Just closed the beach car park and most of the DART car park. There’s no shops there , so u you it shouldn’t be driving there. Exercise within a 2km limit means you don’t drive

Nope still open. Just closed the beach car park and most of the DART car park. There’s no shops there , so u you it shouldn’t be driving there. Exercise within a 2km limit means you don’t drive
    But if it is within your 2km limit, you can exercise on the beach? There's nothing in the regulations to stop you driving to exercise afaik, though there is a clear message in closing the car parks.

But if it is within your 2km limit, you can exercise on the beach? There's nothing in the regulations to stop you driving to exercise afaik, though there is a clear message in closing the car parks.

It is within my 2km range I’ve been there every day since the rule came in.

The 2km is the limit.it states
    “ Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
    to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household”
    Driving to exercise wouldn’t be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lots of them are open, like chippers etc. But I thought BK had said they were closing, I know KFC definitely said it after McDs did.

This is the irish BK site, it says the dining areas should be closed.
    https://www.whopper.ie/

rubadub wrote: »
    lots of them are open, like chippers etc. But I thought BK had said they were closing, I know KFC definitely said it after McDs did.

This is the irish BK site, it says the dining areas should be closed.
    https://www.whopper.ie/

Yeah knew chippers were still open, it was the bigger fast food places I thought were all shut, like you say KFC and McDonalds definitely are.

No seated areas at BK are open.

Yeah knew chippers were still open, it was the bigger fast food places I thought were all shut, like you say KFC and McDonalds definitely are.

No seated areas at BK are open.

The few BKs with the facility I'm aware of are open for drive-thru. And black busy with it. McDs missing a serious trick here

I don't get it as Mcdonalds said they had to close the drive thru's as their kitchen staff could not practice safe distancing....but BK obviously think their staff can...

Owners of the Frascati centre got planning permission to break up the Debanhams area into smaller bits - maybe they saw the writing on the wall with the retailer.

More apartments planned too

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/frascati-developers-move-to-double-number-of-apartments-on-site-1.4228669?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Owners of the Frascati centre got planning permission to break up the Debanhams area into smaller bits - maybe they saw the writing on the wall with the retailer.

you'd need to have been blind not to have seen it coming :D - even one staff member I know was surprised it continued so long and had expected it to close last year

• Advertisement

It is within my 2km range I’ve been there every day since the rule came in.

The 2km is the limit.it states
    “ Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
    to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household”
    Driving to exercise wouldn’t be included.

Driving to exercise isn't excluded.

Advertisement