Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Driving to exercise isn't excluded.

“ Mr Varadkar also said that people can leave their home for brief physical exercise, but only within 2km of their home. People must also adhere to physical distancing during this time. ”

Driving isn’t brief physical excerise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Driving to exercise isn't excluded.

It is, Simon Harris pointed that out specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ush1 wrote: »

Any link to that? I never heard that.

I know they obviously said to not be driving many miles away to some place nowhere near your home for exercise, that is blatantly obvious but not we are talking about here. We are talking about somebody possibly driving 1.5km to a local park for what might be their usual exercise routine for the the last 40 years.

Some might have walking difficulties and live in a built up area with very narrow paths with terrible surface beside busy roads and so want to avoid people so do not want to walk to it, or there might be no path at all. Others might live in an area with loads of cars driving immediately outside their home and so want to avoid fumes etc.

Most of these rules have sense behind them and I cannot think of any sense behind not allowing you to drive there. If you can walk easily you probably will, you would likely only be driving if you had some difficulty.

Maybe if the roads were terrible for a 2km radius around a tiny park and everybody was driving to it and all packed in the tiny park, that is the only thing I can come up with. Can anybody offer an idea why they would like to see this alleged rule in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

rubadub wrote: »
    Any link to that? I never heard that.

Can anybody offer an idea why they would like to see this alleged rule in place?

It is not usually stated explicitly but it can be deduced easily from the absence of exercise from the reasons allowed for travelling beyond 2K i.e. work that can't be done from home, buying essential food/medicine and caring for elderly/vulnerable AFAIK

It is presumably to minimise movement of people between locations so as to keep any outbreaks tied down geographically and thereby make them easier to extinguish. It may also be motivated by avoiding large gatherings at the popular places.

Awaaf wrote: »
    It is not usually stated explicitly
    That poster said it was though.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »

So I can drive down to Kerry to get a walk in?

Excellent.

Aegir wrote: »
    So I can drive down to Kerry to get a walk in?

Excellent.
    He is saying driving to exercise is NOT allowed. I thought it was, so I thought you could drive to Kerry if it's within 2km from your home.

In the UK they do allow it, I thought it would be the case here too as it makes sense to me to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

He is saying driving to exercise is NOT allowed. I thought it was, so I thought you could drive to Kerry if it's within 2km from your home.

In the UK they do allow it, I thought it would be the case here too as it makes sense to me to allow it.

I was stopped by the guards doing just this. I had done a shop and was leaving my kids to a better place within my 2K for them to walk. I told the guard I was doing the shopping (which I was) and didn't mention the walk. He asked me where I lived and either didn't notice/pick up on the fact that I was off the route between shop and house. He waved me on but I knew he could have made an issue for me.

The UK have over 18,000 hospital deaths. So probably closer to 40,000+ Covid19 deaths. Nothing they do should make sense here.

Awaaf wrote: »
    It is not usually stated explicitly but it can be deduced easily from the absence of exercise from the reasons allowed for travelling beyond 2K i.e. work that can't be done from home, buying essential food/medicine and caring for elderly/vulnerable AFAIK.
    This again sounds like you think people are saying driving beyond 2km is allowed for exercise, I don't think anybody here thinks that is the case.

The question is about driving within 2km, there are plenty of genuine & reasonable reasons people would do this.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The UK have over 18,000 hospital deaths. So probably closer to 40,000+ Covid19 deaths. Nothing they do should make sense here.

so again

Maybe if the roads were terrible for a 2km radius around a tiny park and everybody was driving to it and all packed in the tiny park, that is the only thing I can come up with. Can anybody offer an idea why they would like to see this alleged rule in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

The UK don't allow driving for a prolonged period for brief exercise. It has to be reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/16/driving-for-exercise-allowed-under-lockdown-rules-police-advised-coronavirus

josip wrote: »
    The UK don't allow driving for a prolonged period for brief exercise. It has to be reasonable.
    Yes, and once again this is exactly what we are all talking about. Driving to exercise within 2km of your home. Plenty of reasonable reasons people would do this, I mentioned a few and expect others could rattle off loads more. e.g. a single parent with lots of kids who wants to avoid an extremely busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Derailed_Thread.png

Yes, and once again this is exactly what we are all talking about. Driving to exercise within 2km of your home. Plenty of reasonable reasons people would do this, I mentioned a few and expect others could rattle off loads more. e.g. a single parent with lots of kids who wants to avoid an extremely busy road.

Not many busy roads out there at the moment.

Not many busy roads out there at the moment.
    There certainly are. The road around the corner from me has a continual flow of traffic, being near a tesco does not help. Its a long enough road too, and people are trying to walk out on the road to avoid each other, or cross.

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1253222015718371334

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep Green Party: Ossian Smyth

I've compiled a list of businesses offering full or partial service during the restrictions, based on suggestions from locals.

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/local-business-directory/

For example, Café du Journal in Monkstown is now a bakery offering takeaway coffee.
    cafedujournal-e1587900798318.jpeg

If you know of any that I have missed, please mention them below.

good job!

the graduate pub is now doing delivery
    https://www.facebook.com/thegraduatebarandrestaurant/
    https://www.thegraduate.ie/order-online/#/restaurant/9935

Express fish & chips (the chipper near bakers corner previously known as Europa) is back open this week.
    Their facebook page said you could ring ahead for collection too (they cook most stuff fresh so you would be waiting a while if you did not)
    https://www.expressfishchips.ie/

Manleys Chinese in ballybrack shopping centre is open for delivery only.

The Village Chinese in ballybrack village is delivery only.

Spice Cottage Indian takeaway in sallynoggin at o rourke park still open, as is the Chinese beside it called "Happy times"

Bombay pantry in glenageary open, maybe only delivery

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Maybe we need a separate thread for businesses still open during the pandemic as opposed to businesses opening or closing (not temporary)?

Maybe we need a separate thread for businesses still open during the pandemic as opposed to businesses opening or closing (not temporary)?
    I was thinking the same, but most openings/closings will be temporary so this thread would have little action if strictly for permanent ones, people would end up checking both threads.

Many will be reopenings. e.g. China Sichuan in Sandyford closed, then opened to do takeaways, then stopped, and now is back doing them again.

https://china-sichuan.ie/

I like Ossian's page as its all in one place and organised well. Sandyford is on his area list so I did not mention it.

Quando pizza in ballybrack village is another open for delivery only. Facebook & twitter pages are the best to check as companies can do this easily and for free, changing actual websites can cost them.

Romayos chipper near the magic carpet pub in cornelscourt are doing delivery and walk ins.

• Advertisement

Hatch in Glasthule has reopened using, appropriately enough, a hatch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sunday Business Post reporting that Dunnes or TK Maxx could take over the Debenhams site in BlackRock.

Meanwhile in Tallaght, Pennys could take the site Debenhams site there (that one is not very big though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Sallynoggin Inn are serving draft pints for takeaway...hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Leading to idiots drinking pints on the street

I've compiled a list of businesses offering full or partial service during the restrictions, based on suggestions from locals.

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/local-business-directory/

For example, Café du Journal in Monkstown is now a bakery offering takeaway coffee.
    cafedujournal-e1587900798318.jpeg

Had a lovely meal ( and cocktails )from DeVilles in Dalkey last night. Didn’t see it on your list.

Sunday Business Post reporting that Dunnes or TK Maxx could take over the Debenhams site in BlackRock.

Meanwhile in Tallaght, Pennys could take the site Debenhams site there (that one is not very big though).

TK Maxx were meant to be anchor tenants in Dun Laoighre SC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had a lovely meal ( and cocktails )from DeVilles in Dalkey last night. Didn’t see it on your list.

Also has Fishshack Cafe at 10 Clonkeen Rd, think thats FX Buckleys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

How exactly does that work? They serve you a pint in a glass and you're meant to walk...where...with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Blut2 wrote: »
    How exactly does that work? They serve you a pint in a glass and you're meant to walk...where...with it?

Their FB post (now deleted) showed concert style plastic containers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats crazy. Why would you walk there, to pay 5-6euro (I presume?) for a pint in a plastic cup, to then walk home carrying it, spilling it, while it gets warm? When you could just crack open a 1-2euro can from the fridge and pour it into a proper glass pint glass at home...

Advertisement