Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats crazy. Why would you walk there, to pay 5-6euro (I presume?)
    Its the gimmick factor, some pubs have vans with kegs in the back. Others deliver in real glasses with covers. As people know people will be at home people are ordering them as gifts for others etc, family abroad could send you some.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats crazy. Why would you walk there, to pay 5-6euro (I presume?) for a pint in a plastic cup, to then walk home carrying it, spilling it, while it gets warm? When you could just crack open a 1-2euro can from the fridge and pour it into a proper glass pint glass at home...

You’d have to pay me to go in there for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

rubadub wrote: »
    Its the gimmick factor, some pubs have vans with kegs in the back. Others deliver in real glasses with covers. As people know people will be at home people are ordering them as gifts for others etc, family abroad could send you some.

The plastic lid of a pringles can fits perfectly on a pint. Rural pub near to me did take-out pints of beer for a few days to empty barrels - but they have a shop attached and plenty of benches. I think it was more a novelty than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Nothing to do with gimmicks, it's just pure greed on the part of the owner.

:confused:
    the question I was answering was "Why would you walk there, to pay 5-6euro (I presume?)"

and you think people are walking there to pay 5-6 euro for a pint in a plastic cup because the owner is greedy?

If a cafe opened selling glasses ofcarton apple juice for 2.50 euro or cans of coke for 2.50 then I would certainly be confused if people were going there. I am just explaining why people are buying the pints, esp. guinness pints.

The pubs are getting free advertising in social media, and are doing their best to survive and some people are enjoying the gimmick of it, could be birthday pints etc like people would pay for flower delivery. So I have no real issue with it, though think it is stupid to be availing of it for most. Other pubs are delivering food too, and this gets them in the paper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Greed, isn’t a word used to describe someone trying maintain an income and provide for their family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

ted1 wrote: »
    Greed, isn’t a word used to describe someone trying maintain an income and provide for their family

The owner is in no way short of the price of a bottle of milk and a sliced pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sunday Business Post reporting that Dunnes or TK Maxx could take over the Debenhams site in BlackRock.

Meanwhile in Tallaght, Pennys could take the site Debenhams site there (that one is not very big though).

Source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sunday Business Post reporting that Dunnes or TK Maxx could take over the Debenhams site in BlackRock.

Store X or store Y 'could take over' a vacant unit is not 'reporting', it's speculation.

Why not Penneys? They're not in Blackrock or Stillorgan.

coylemj wrote: »
    Store X or store Y 'could take over' a vacant unit is not 'reporting', it's speculation.

Why not Penneys? They're not in Blackrock or Stillorgan.

now that they have let aldi in they might as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some food places have reopened in Blackrock for deliveries only.

Vanilla Pod - Blackrock SC
    Supermacs - Blackrock Main Street

Insomnia in Blackrock Main Street on the other hand is open to the public. But it is not allowing customers to enter the coffee shop. When you approach the shop entrance; the baristas from there serve you at the shop window to give you your orders instead.

Starbucks on the other hand, near the entrance to Blackrock SC, is still closed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cyrus wrote: »
    now that they have let aldi in they might as well :D

A wide cross section of people use Aldi, don't think the same can be said for Pennys. Am sure I'll be corrected on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A wide cross section of people use Aldi, don't think the same can be said for Pennys. Am sure I'll be corrected on that though.

Happy Easter Anna.

Its Una.....

I would have said the exact opposite. What do people wear during the daytime when they're on holidays? It wasn't bought in BT, that's for sure. The fact that Penneys have a massive branch in the middle of the Dundrum Centre says you're wrong.

But we're well past the days where there was any snobbery around shopping in Aldi or Lidl. Except when either of them applies for planning permission to open a store in a snobby suburb, then the nimbies crawl out of the woodwork.

I would have said the exact opposite. What do people wear during the daytime when they're on holidays? It wasn't bought in BT, that's for sure.

speak for yourself :D

I would have said the exact opposite. What do people wear during the daytime when they're on holidays? It wasn't bought in BT, that's for sure. The fact that Penneys have a massive branch in the middle of the Dundrum Centre says you're wrong.

But we're well past the days where there was any snobbery around shopping in Aldi or Lidl. Except when either of them applies for planning permission to open a store in a snobby suburb, then the nimbies crawl out of the woodwork.

Dundrum town centre isn't just about South Dublin based customers, plenty of out of town visitors. It has a wide cross section of customers is all I'm saying. I don't believe people drive from out of town to go shopping in the Frascati Centre.

As for planning permission blockers, it's more likely to be a local Tesco or Supervalue paying they staff to submit complaints (this has been proven) than it is wealthy residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Happy Easter Anna.

Its Una.....

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As for planning permission blockers, it's more likely to be a local Tesco or Supervalue paying they staff to submit complaints (this has been proven) than it is wealthy residents.

Are you talking about the query around some complaints in Clare that appeared to be related to the Supermacs business, or has this been proven elsewhere?

It would be very hard for an organisation like Tesco or Supervalu to pay staff to do anything without leaving a paper trail that would have very, very exposed in the press and in the Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Shanai in Cornelscourt back open for take away. Romayos also doing delivery.

Are you talking about the query around some complaints in Clare that appeared to be related to the Supermacs business, or has this been proven elsewhere?

It would be very hard for an organisation like Tesco or Supervalu to pay staff to do anything without leaving a paper trail that would have very, very exposed in the press and in the Courts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/lidl-tesco-war-4352517-Nov2018/%3famp=1

• Advertisement

cabinteely,
    Urbun Cafe have given birth to a new pop up burger restaurant, Son of The Bun.

They’re open Friday to Sunday 5.30pm – 9pm.

They offer collection only, they don’t deliver.
    https://brennanstownra.com/2020/05/09/son-of-a-bun-new-burger-restaurant-now-open-in-cabinteely-village/
    https://www.sonofthebun.ie/#/restaurant/10439/collection/10049

not to be confused with
    https://www.sonofabun.ie/

I don't know where the quote in the post above came from (not this thread) but those hours for Urbun Cafe apply to burgers only, they're also doing breakfast and lunch takeaways .....

https://www.urbun.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Two clothing chains known as Oasis & Warehouse have been put into liquidation today by the High Court.

That's another 248 people being put onto the dole queues now as of today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0511/1137744-oasis-warehouse-liquidations/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Scrumdiddlys have reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GT89 wrote: »
    Scrumdiddlys have reopened

Oh dear. No way will the w have social distancing. But then again you have great risk if diabetes from there any way

Oh dear. No way will the w have social distancing. But then again you have great risk if diabetes from there any way

They had the markers on the street for people to queue. Teddy's have the same and they've been open for a few weeks now. Actually had a Teddy's during the week and everyone was socially distant in the queue.

I have seen huge queues there before, so with 2m distancing, coupled with the novelty of it reopening it will be ludicrous.

They should have some sort of online queue system or something. Like have people apply for numbers online and they have to show a ticket or code on an app. Some retailers must be doing something along those lines somewhere in the world.

So you have a ticket thing allowing you come between 1-3pm or something.

I have seen huge queues there before, so with 2m distancing, coupled with the novelty of it reopening it will be ludicrous.

They should have some sort of online queue system or something. Like have people apply for numbers online and they have to show a ticket or code on an app. Some retailers must be doing something along those lines somewhere in the world.

It was empty when I passed today. Word must not have got out yet or a large amount those people usually in the queue come from beyond 5km and are sticking to the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Clonskeagh house pub is open.
    I passed it yday... Loads of people sitting outside, eating and drinking. I thought they could only do takeaway orders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sounds a lot like "click and collect"?

Advertisement