Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cyrus wrote: »
    Kip anyway but strange location for student accommodation unless it’s for the art college ?

How do you think that Right beside a college is a strange place?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ted1 wrote: »
    How do you think that Right beside a college is a strange place?

Well I did say unless it’s for the art college I presume they get more of a local crowd but I have no clue !

Anyway it would be better than what’s there so let the demolition begin !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Only two times in my life have I had the pleasure of biting into a piece of bone while eating a burger and Bakers Corner was one of them.

Will put a few noses out of joint if it closes. The Grange, McCormacks and the Graduate would be the nearest pubs. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the locals were barred from all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

coylemj wrote: »
    Only two times in my life have I had the pleasure of biting into a piece of bone while eating a burger and Bakers Corner was one of them.

Will put a few noses out of joint if it closes. The Grange, McCormacks and the Graduate would be the nearest pubs. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the locals were barred from all of them.

i wouldnt be surprised it all of them were, i ventured in there mistakenly once,

never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I imagine the Sallynoggin Inn will pick up the business. There’s a few business behind Bakers including a Paddy Powers, presume they’ll follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bakers went markedly downhill when the eye/farmhouse closed tbh.

Only been in it twice since.

Grange & McCormacks will pick up most of the business id say.

But if its only going through planning now might be a while before anything happens. The owners are pub owners, seems odd to buy it so recently just for (potentially) knocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

With the student population and licence already attached to the site, they'd be mad not to include a food and bevvies venue on the site of any redevelopment. It does need far better management though for certain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Larbre34 wrote: »
    With the student population and licence already attached to the site, they'd be mad not to include a food and bevvies venue on the site of any redevelopment. It does need far better management though for certain.

Would they not have difficulty getting pp to allow for student accommodation on the same premises as a licensed premises. I can't see residents being too happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Larbre34 wrote: »

Bar on site of dedicated student stuff would go down like a lead balloon. However there is a pub that is being converted (listed building) in Maynooth that has said it will have a 'licenced restaurant' so it'll be interesting to see if it retains the full pub licence or not; could set a precedent.

L1011 wrote: »
    Bar on site of dedicated student stuff would go down like a lead balloon. However there is a pub that is being converted (listed building) in Maynooth that has said it will have a 'licenced restaurant' so it'll be interesting to see if it retains the full pub licence or not; could set a precedent.

According to Cairn Homes, the old Blakes site in Stillorgan is going to get '151 student accommodation units (548 beds)' and there are two pubs (Stillorgan Orchard and Stillorgan House) right across the road.

Down the road from Baker's Corner, Mr. Twomey who owns the Supervalu in Deansgrange once applied for PP to build a student apartment block behind his shop. An ad hoc residents' association which he had funded and which was setup specificaly to lodge objections to the proposed Lidl development across the road found that they had a few bob left in their kitty so they lodged an objection and it was upheld. Justice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a large site, could easily accommodate a separate operation of a licensed restaurant or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

According to Cairn Homes, the old Blakes site in Stillorgan is going to get '151 student accommodation units (548 beds)' and there are two pubs (Stillorgan Orchard and Stillorgan House) right across the road.

Its the having the pub *in* the development that would cause the objectors to have kittens; basically. "They're encouraging the students to drink rather than study! *Clutches at pearls*" etc etc.

Watch the Fitzgerald development in Maynooth anyway; if it opens with the pub licence there it sets the precedent basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

The Grange is mobbed at the best of times so wont be best placed to take the business except maybe in the bar. I am not sure how busy McCormacks is these days but maybe they can take some slack. It still leaves Wishing Well/Grange/McCormacks/Noggin Inn and Graduate to cover a massive area. I would say there is still a place for Bakers to have a licence. It was always well run, had good staffand has always integrated students and locals quite well for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its the having the pub *in* the development that would cause the objectors to have kittens; basically. "They're encouraging the students to drink rather than study! *Clutches at pearls*" etc etc.

Watch the Fitzgerald development in Maynooth anyway; if it opens with the pub licence there it sets the precedent basically.

Students are miserably cheap. They’d soon work out paying 2 euro is much better then paying 6 euro a pint downstairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

McDonalds Stilorgan reopens today for delivery and takeaway with a limited menu. Open 11am to 10pm daily.

I also see Five Guys Dundrum is also open for delivery and takeaway Thursday - Sunday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

AIB in Blackrock moving to the Frascati Centre in September

aoh wrote: »
    AIB in Blackrock moving to the Frascati Centre in September

Good stroke by Frascati. And bad for the Blackrock Shopping Centre. I know the AIB branch isn't part of it but you can quickly walk up the ramp on the ground floor of the BSC to get to the main st. and the AIB is the first premises on your right.

Edit: even though it's an external entrance on the main st., I see that the BSC does claim AIB as part of the centre. So a big loss to them.

https://blackrockcentre.ie/stores/view/aib

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on BSC. How come the Art & Hobby Shop is still not open yet in the centre? I walked past there on Wednesday. The lights were half-switched on & there was one staff member inside the shop. But there was a notice on the door to say that due to unforeseen circumstances they couldn't open their store. You can still order their items on their website as people have done for the last while.

I would assume that they are still very slow in re-opening their shops as they are putting measures inside them to reduce the spread to Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

ted1 wrote: »
    Students are miserably cheap. They’d soon work out paying 2 euro is much better then paying 6 euro a pint downstairs.

Don’t know if the stereotype holds true anymore. Seeing the students around here on nights out, I don’t know where the money comes from, I was in university in ucc from 97-2000 and we would spend 20 of a night out, 6 cans for 5. Penny into fx on a Tuesday. Two pints for 6. 2 shots for 4. Stop off at pizza place and get a pizza for a 5er and he would drop us home for free. When I was feeling extravagant I’d give 50p to cashier in FX and say I’ll pay for the next 50. Bare in mind my rent was 30 a week so 20 probably was a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Art and Hobby are open in Nutgrove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Asian supermarket called "ingredients" beside the bloodbank in stillorgan is closed for renovations.

I think the next closest is in the market in blackrock.

104668583_3155423807848331_961024250925144849_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=gV0jqB_JIGcAX_vJcOj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=5e8d519c44ae89f9353f5d8ea55e30a2&oe=5F1C6FA3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dealz-eyes-extension-with-takeover-of-penneys-unit-at-rathfarnham-shopping-centre-pwm76llh6

Sunday Times reporting Dealz has taken over the old vacated Penneys store in Rathfarnham SC. It will be their largest Dealz store in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That was posted here 4 months ago also or so, signs were up a good while, but not open yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Global Cusine in Dundrum reopening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thks Rubadub about Asian supermarket in Stillorgan. I visited recently and a skip outside so hope work in progress. I like to get the larger sized packets of spices there and big bags of rice. The only other place in vicinity that does same is the shop attached to the Mosque in Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Global Cusine in Dundrum reopening tomorrow.

I see it is table service only, the place is normally a self serve all you can eat buffet normally, so I guessed they might do this
    Global Cuisine is celebrating your special day at Global Cuisine.
    1d · Dundrum · Shared with Public
    We’re BACK🥳!!!
    Opening Monday the 29th June.
    All you can eat🍜🍲🍛🍣🍨🥧🥮🍅.
    Table service only.
    Choose from our huge buffet menu.
    You may call us ☎️ (01) 296 3083 for the reservation!
    Looking forward to seeing you !
    Cheers🍺🍺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dealz-eyes-extension-with-takeover-of-penneys-unit-at-rathfarnham-shopping-centre-pwm76llh6

Sunday Times reporting Dealz has taken over the old vacated Penneys store in Rathfarnham SC. It will be their largest Dealz store in Ireland.

Passed by it last week and the doors were open as it was being worked on. It was completely empty so I'd say it'll be a while before its ready to open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Passed by it last week and the doors were open as it was being worked on. It was completely empty so I'd say it'll be a while before its ready to open.

From past openings of Dealz stores I have noticed they always seem to be fairly quick to open up probably because they never put too many fancy fitting and fixtures in their stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'm craving a good sit down pub lunch, any decent places reopening please share...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

strandroad wrote: »
    I'm craving a good sit down pub lunch, any decent places reopening please share...

The Merry ploughboy has good food and is open for lunch.

Advertisement