Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi. Does anyone here know the opening hours of The Homecare Centre in Blackrock SC?

Do they sell 5 amp plug fuses in store? I need to buy them for a plug which connects to a laptop charger. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Lifestyle in Dun Laoghaire won't be reopening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Shock horror, there's been eff all stock in there, would not be surprised if Nutgrove followed suite.

Neither have had the store refits the others have received either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do they sell 5 amp plug fuses in store? I need to buy them for a plug which connects to a laptop charger. TIA.

You can buy a card of mixed (3/5/13 amp) plug fuses in any pound shop. Look for the batteries display, they won't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds high for a laptop charger, I would have thought it would be 3A. Don't confuse the input and output amps.

Dealz do a 9 pack for 1.50
    https://www.dealz.ie/80816-mixed-amp-house-fuses-9-pack/

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Sounds high for a laptop charger, I would have thought it would be 3A. Don't confuse the input and output amps.

Dealz do a 9 pack for 1.50
    https://www.dealz.ie/80816-mixed-amp-house-fuses-9-pack/

The plug I use for it to connect to the external laptop battery says it has to be a 5 amp fuse. The plug that I use for it is plugged into the mains & quite old after looking up some information online about it. I still got a supply of 10 5A plug fuses just to be sure because I think 13A is a high risk of causing fire damage to the device.

The Homecare Centre in BSC has been made a little bigger in size. There are now new automatic doors in place upon entry at the shop entrance which I hadn't seen before. Customers would usually enter through a small pokey door on the left hand side of the shop but that's gone now. I'm not sure if that puts the other staircase in front of the car park entrance to be removed permanently to include new extensions to the other units near the original toilets & car park entrance. A small sign saying Homecare Centre is stuck on the glass window once you go inside it. It's great that I didn't have to meander into the bright tunnel that leads to the car park to get to the shop while in the centre. I just walked in just right into the shop just before approaching the tunnel which was very handy.

There was also a lot of builders inside there doing more work on the ground floor today. They were installing some steels along the walls & installing new lighting while I was doing essential shopping in there. A new steel staircase is in place outside Lloyd's pharmacy. The new roof is now expanding over the rest of the shopping centre. It feels a lot of brighter once I am walking around upstairs.

The plug I use for it to connect to the external laptop battery says it has to be a 5 amp fuse.

If the plug says '5A', that means that is the maximum current it can handle. It does not mean that you can only use that plug with a 5A fuse. You should always go with the lowest fuse that can handle the current the appliance will draw. In the case of a laptop, poster rubadub above is correct, a 3A fuse will be fine and safer than a 5A fuse.
    ......I think 13A is a high risk of causing fire damage to the device.

A fuse is a safety cutout device, it cannot directly cause damage. If you are using a genuine Dell AC adapter, a 13A fuse in the plug will not lead to a 'high risk' of causing damage. That is to say, if the equipment performs to specifications and doesn't attempt to draw too much current, it doesn't matter what fuse is in the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Does anyone know what’s happening in The Gables?
    Looks like renovation going on, was wondering is it for The Gables to reopen or something completely new

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know what’s happening in The Gables?
    Looks like renovation going on, was wondering is it for The Gables to reopen or something completely new

Gables won’t be reopening under the current operators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

acer911 wrote: »
    Gables won’t be reopening under the current operators.

It closed down before the lockdown. Sometime around February/early March iirc I believe they had problems for some time

• Advertisement

Dealz are opening in Rathfarnham SC on the 16th of July which is Thursday week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0706/1151638-dealzs-3-new-irish-stores/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

IMC Cinema in The Square closed for good due to Corona and the high rent cost. Might be just me but the Square seems to have a high turnover of tenants and it's always due to rent it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

not confirmed, but looks like Elverys is gone from DL as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

not confirmed, but looks like Elverys is gone from DL as well.

Grandstand Sports will be delighted with Elvery's & Lifestyle gone.
    I'd like to support them more but they rarely have what I go in for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

frash wrote: »
    Grandstand Sports will be delighted with Elvery's & Lifestyle gone.
    I'd like to support them more but they rarely have what I go in for

Same here. They need a bigger unit in a more prominent location to be able to take advantage of the others exit.

The Art & Hobby Shop is back open this week in Blackrock SC. But the shop is not being made easily accessible right now because the ground floor of the centre is currently going through more construction work from builders as a result of the ongoing refurbishment project.

I was in there on Thursday and the huge number of barriers being placed across the ground floor was unbelievable.

I know it's described a short term plan atm by the management but it's currently like a nightmare to get around if you're trying to plan which shop to go to if your on the ground floor. You can go upstairs now either on the staircase outside Lloyds Pharmacy or on the escalator if you walk outside it. The Art & Hobby Shop is only accessible from the main entrance through a specific set of barriers outside The Vanilla Pod that leads into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,082 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What they have done to the retailers in that centre is a disgrace

Compu B enters administration, hopefully it can trade its way out of it - has the Dundrum store among others.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/examinership-of-apple-reseller-compu-b-confirmed-1.4301377?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Speaking of Dundrum, the Bose shop is to be replaced with a stand alone Paperchase (currently a concession in House of Fraser).

Don't expect a closing down sale in Bose, they'll move the stock to their online store. All retail stores globally are closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Compu B enters administration, hopefully it can trade its way out of it - has the Dundrum store among others.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/examinership-of-apple-reseller-compu-b-confirmed-1.4301377?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Speaking of Dundrum, the Bose shop is to be replaced with a stand alone Paperchase (currently a concession in House of Fraser).

Don't expect a closing down sale in Bose, they'll move the stock to their online store. All retail stores globally are closing.

If they go we may get a proper Apple store

ted1 wrote: »
    If they go we may get a proper Apple store

Indeed although would say Apple would pay them any early distribution exclusivity contract that exists.

Is bizzare they are dotted around the UK but not here.

A bit like Google not selling all its smart home products here despite their address of Sir John Rogersons Quay printed on all the boxes of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Indeed although would say Apple would pay them any early distribution exclusivity contract that exists.

Is bizzare they are dotted around the UK but not here.

A bit like Google not selling all its smart home products here despite their address of Sir John Rogersons Quay printed on all the boxes of stock.

I heard something years ago about their tax status changing if they have a physical store here and as their Europeans head office I’d get it’d be costly. No idea if theirs any truth behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sunday market is back but on Quinns Road:
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/coco-markets-restart-marlay-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-weekend

Makes sense, to keep the park and Lexicon grounds free for people to move on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Cyrus wrote: »

Even taking Covid into account, the works seem to be taking an extraordinary amount of time to get anywhere. A year? More?

The place seems to have been in upheaval for as long as I can remember (and the one element of the whole shopping centre that needed improving most, the daft staircases that aren't wide enough to allow people to go up and down simultaneously, have still yet to be changed!).

I feel for the few retailers that are still left there

Edit: their website says works commenced Summer 2018 , so that's two years and the place is still a building site

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Cyrus wrote: »

They should have shut the whole thing down for a year, focused on the renovations and come back. Both it and Frascati renovations have gone on far too long for the amount of empty units inside.

They should have shut the whole thing down for a year, focused on the renovations and come back. Both it and Frascati renovations have gone on far too long for the amount of empty units inside.

That's a non-runner for certain type of businesses, especially hardressers. I was in the place about a year ago and there was drills and hammers going at it right outside the hairdresser. A business like that can't afford to close for even a week because a lot of their customers would find a different hairdresser and never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was just thinking that about Blackrock SC last night when I went in for a walk around, it wouldnt even occur to a casual shopper that theres an upstairs to it the way it is now. Supervalu deserted. Frascati across the road is just an Aldi and M&S basically, the whole place is just depressing. Feel sorry for anyone whose businesses were ruined by this mess.

Lifestyle Sports in Nutgrove has had all stock removed despite saying it is temporarily closed.

It has not reopened, it was never refurbished when the others were, looks like it may be shut for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,082 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thargor wrote: »
    Was just thinking that about Blackrock SC last night when I went in for a walk around, it wouldnt even occur to a casual shopper that theres an upstairs to it the way it is now. Supervalu deserted. Frascati across the road is just an Aldi and M&S basically, the whole place is just depressing. Feel sorry for anyone whose businesses were ruined by this mess.

I’ll be honest , we lived in Blackrock for over 10 years and loved it , but this redevelopment of both shopping centres has ruined it for me and I’m glad we don’t live there any more .

It’s pity , 5 years ago it was on of the best suburbs in Dublin in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thargor wrote: »

I've been in it precisely once since the work started, to go to Dubray and Holland & Barrett. It was one of the worst shopping experiences of my life. An absolute nightmare. Thank god I don't work there or even worse try to run a business inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had Elverys in Dun Laoghaire reopened?

Advertisement