Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dealz are opening in Rathfarnham SC on the 16th of July which is Thursday week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0706/1151638-dealzs-3-new-irish-stores/

Was there this morning. Huge shop. Well stocked. Tesco is going to take a battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Had Elverys in Dun Laoghaire reopened?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

The shoe repair shop in Stillorgan SC has closed permanently, they weren’t long back in their new unit after the renovation

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    The shoe repair shop in Stillorgan SC has closed permanently, they weren’t long back in their new unit after the renovation

Stillorgan SC has lost its sole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The Nal wrote: »
    Was there this morning. Huge shop. Well stocked. Tesco is going to take a battering.
    I had the same thought when I saw how big their grab and go lunch food section is.

No harm, that Tesco is horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The Nal wrote: »

Were they limiting the numbers going in?

I had the same thought when I saw how big their grab and go lunch food section is.

No harm, that Tesco is horrendous.

Gets a bad rep but its fine if you know what you're after. Always well stocked first thing too.

I'd assume so but I was there at 9am so there was no one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Yes, there was no line when I went in but on the way out they were queuing around the corner towards the Garden Centre.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Full steam ahead as Dundrum Town Center have said the new Brown Thomas will open in 2021.

Anyone know what's happening to the big new restaurant that was suppossd to be Fallon & Byrne but their name has since disappeared from the hoardings...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

F&B are in trouble. Rathmines closed, Connolly Station that should have opened pre-Christmas hasn't.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    F&B are in trouble. Rathmines closed, Connolly Station that should have opened pre-Christmas hasn't.

Yeah seems they have pulled out of Dundrum...

Costa Coffee is starting to reopen...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Costa Coffee is starting to reopen...

+1 they were open for sit down inside and outside beside Harvey Norman in Tallaght yestarday. About half the inside tables were marked off as not in use. Coffee seved in real cups, unlike Insomnia who last week (in Deansgrange) were treating all coffee orders as takeout.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 they were open for sit down inside and outside beside Harvey Norman in Tallaght yestarday. About half the inside tables were marked off as not in use. Coffee seved in real cups, unlike Insomnia who last week (in Deansgrange) were treating all coffee orders as takeout.

Thats because Insomnia scoop their coffee from the unflushed toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Had Elverys in Dun Laoghaire reopened?

looks like it's reopened now, so much for that rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Not any more. The two people who were running it sold their shares to one of the founders (Brian Fallon) and a former superquinn director.

They pulled back from multiple sites and are concentrating on the major redevelopment of exchequer st.

So a new direction that no longer involves dundrum or Connolly. Far more sensible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Holland & Barrett, Bewleys retail store & one of the hairdressers upstairs in Blackrock SC are temporarily closed.

The newly refurbished toilets on the ground floor have also opened to the public. That will mean no more going to the prefabbed toilets outside.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not any more. The two people who were running it sold their shares to one of the founders (Brian Fallon) and a former superquinn director.

They pulled back from multiple sites and are concentrating on the major redevelopment of exchequer st.

So a new direction that no longer involves dundrum or Connolly. Far more sensible too.

Wonder who will now run the new restaurant at Dundrum being built then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I wonder would that put the future of their Dun Laoghaire restaurant at risk if they're trying to focus on Exchequer Street

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some good news. Most of the staff that I have seen in Dunnes Stores at The Playwright & Spar in Rockville Drive in Newtownpark Avenue where I did my shopping today are now wearing either face masks/head visors. I was taking my time in walking to these places thinking about the massive R number increase since last week. It turned out that most of the customers inside these places are now wearing them as well which is great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

looks like it's reopened now, so much for that rumour

and now Lifestyle in the DLSC is reopening, on July 27th. Nature is healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

and now Lifestyle in the DLSC is reopening, on July 27th. Nature is healing.

Please be Dunphys next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Wonder who will now run the new restaurant at Dundrum being built then...

Probably the press up group.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Probably the press up group.

They’re already going into the old Hamleys store with a bowling alley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Gmaximum wrote: »
    They’re already going into the old Hamleys store with a bowling alley

They've many formats - Dollard & Co would be an option https://dollardandco.ie/

Pure guesswork though and they are probably suffering badly, so they may have things on hold. But hopefully its not taken by some chain type restaurant with their insipid boring one suits all menu

silver2020 wrote: »
    But hopefully its not taken by some chain type restaurant with their insipid boring one suits all menu

Which is Press Ups speciality!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Which is Press Ups speciality!

Yep, Just copy and paste. Style over substance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I struggle with my feelings about press up.

Some of my favorite places in the city are press up group. Garage Bar, the VCC, Bison Bar, the Stella Cinema, even the Dean hotel. They are all pretty cool - genuinely innovative (for Dublin) and gave us something we were missing. The city would be poorer without them imo.

But then there are 35 other restaurants and bars. They have heavily overlapping menus and styles. The homogeneousness creates an unease. A Truman Show or Deja Vu like discomfort. It's not the same, but I feel like I have been here before.

Once you have to hire 70 chefs and end up with such a shallow hierarchy pyramid you end up reducing the quality available to you. It is hard to maintain quality at scale, and the quality has certainly suffered.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I struggle with my feelings about press up.

Some of my favorite places in the city are press up group. Garage Bar, the VCC, Bison Bar, the Stella Cinema, even the Dean hotel. They are all pretty cool - genuinely innovative (for Dublin) and gave us something we were missing. The city would be poorer without them imo.

But then there are 35 other restaurants and bars. They have heavily overlapping menus and styles. The homogeneousness creates an unease. A Truman Show or Deja Vu like discomfort. It's not the same, but I feel like I have been here before.

Once you have to hire 70 chefs and end up with such a shallow hierarchy pyramid you end up reducing the quality available to you. It is hard to maintain quality at scale, and the quality has certainly suffered.

The Garage is gone, for good. Replaced with a copy and paste of Marys.

The Stella won't be as special when there's one in a shopping centre in Bray, the Dean is now the same as their other hotels in Dublin (and Cork, soon if not already). They have a few formats they over-use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Garage is gone, for good. Replaced with a copy and paste of Marys.

The Stella won't be as special when there's one in a shopping centre in Bray, the Dean is now the same as their other hotels in Dublin (and Cork, soon if not already). They have a few formats they over-use.

Union cafe and elephant and castle are blending into one.

I suspect that they are taking over the queens in Dalkey

Advertisement