Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

GT89 wrote: »
    They've done the same in Dun Laoghaire aswell I believe

They have. Came in last week I think. I had never gone into that Dunnes previously but did they ever have food there before? If they did, doubt any change of use was required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

joeguevara wrote: »
    They have. Came in last week I think. I had never gone into that Dunnes previously but did they ever have food there before? If they did, doubt any change of use was required.

They used to have an off licence unit there that was joined with the drapery unit not sure if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In DL the mini food section was replacing a standalone foot unit wasn't it? Around the corner on Northumberland Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Dunnes in Stillorgan shopping centre have put in a food section just inside door
    Haven’t been in but could see big freezers at the back wall
    Tesco and Dealz won’t be too impressed
    Would have thought they’d need some kind of planning permission for change of use

Dunnes in Stillorgan SC used to be mixed food & clothes/household. So the original PP and lease agreement probably still permits them to sell food.

I wasn't surprised when they stopped doing food about 20 years ago. The customer age profile was elderly (you could see the shoppers through the glass wall) and I'd say the revenue per sq. m. of floor space was relatively low for a Dunnes store. It was never very busy and didn't represent any serious competition to Quinnsworth (now Tesco) around the corner.

Dealz isn't a serious food retailer, they have a very limited range so would hardly be affected at all if Dunnes start selling food. Might even bring them a few new customers for general merchandise.

L1011 wrote: »
    In DL the mini food section was replacing a standalone foot unit wasn't it? Around the corner on Northumberland Avenue.

Correct they had a small supermarket on Northumberland Ave which closed around 2010/11ish. In addition to this the main drapery section had an adjacent off licence (the Northumerland Rd. shop did not sell alcohol afair) this off licence closed more recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do Dunnes own that entire block of decrepit buildings on Georges Street?
    Someone once told me they did and they had zero incentive to renovate them, but that could have been a pile of tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Dunnes in Nutgrove was formerly clothes and household only but now has selection of supermarket items just at door. I imagine it is to get around covid rules and/or to generate a bit of business. Only underwear is allowed to be sold in clothing area and they operate a 'click and collect' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

josip wrote: »
    Do Dunnes own that entire block of decrepit buildings on Georges Street?
    Someone once told me they did and they had zero incentive to renovate them, but that could have been a pile of tosh.

Indeed they do.

Theres a planning process going on to turn the upper floors into a hotel / aparthotel, last I heard. It had been a hotel many years ago, with Lee's department store on the whole ground floor of that block.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The new food and grocery offering in Dunnes DL is poor. With Christmas on the way, and more shoppers around DL, I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to try a high-end Cornelscourt-lite option, but they have gone for a range of basics that you'd find in a mid-sized Centra. Not sure why anyone would be bothered going there with better ranges nearby in Super Valu and Tesco.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Indeed they do.

Theres a planning process going on to turn the upper floors into a hotel / aparthotel, last I heard. It had been a hotel many years ago, with Lee's department store on the whole ground floor of that block.

I thought that the apart-hotel application was for their ex-grocery shop on Northumberland Ave. Upstairs floors in Dunnes are residential. I believe that only one apartment is occupied though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Restaurant opposite buck mulligans in dun laoghaire is getting ready to open. From what I heard looks like a restaurant that also has a good cocktail menu, hopefully a good addition.

Lighthouse is doing up the little front snug. Putting a hatch at window and going to have coffee, nibbles, cheeses and decent wine apparently. Also with seating.

Always welcome good food and drink and this side of georges street has definitely been improving. Soup is class and the chocolate place has the best hot chocolate I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am going to make an effort to support local business after lockdown.

Its going to be tough.

And i might make a group or something on whatsapp locally to provide info.

So i will be keeping an eye on the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I thought that the apart-hotel application was for their ex-grocery shop on Northumberland Ave. Upstairs floors in Dunnes are residential. I believe that only one apartment is occupied though.

Nope. Thats why it is almost vacant, as you say.

Northumberland Avenue was for traditional apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The new food and grocery offering in Dunnes DL is poor. With Christmas on the way, and more shoppers around DL, I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to try a high-end Cornelscourt-lite option, but they have gone for a range of basics that you'd find in a mid-sized Centra. Not sure why anyone would be bothered going there with better ranges nearby in Super Valu and Tesco.

It's a strange one. It's like a slightly bigger than normal newsagent or something.

Dunno what the point is. (Although tbf if I was up that end of the village and needed something quick I would probably use the Dunnes instead of having to go into the Super Valu downstairs in DLSC. I hate that Super Valu)

JayRoc wrote: »
    It's a strange one. It's like a slightly bigger than normal newsagent or something.

Dunno what the point is. (Although tbf if I was up that end of the village and needed something quick I would probably use the Dunnes instead of having to go into the Super Valu downstairs in DLSC. I hate that Super Valu)

It's probably just a temporary thing in order to keep the shop open. Preferable to having the shop closed from a business pov I suppose.

ah, thanks. Was a planning application ever lobbed in for the aparthotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was hotel planning put in for the Northumberland Avenue site also. Refused in July but under appeal. File D20A/0085

Dunnes in Stillorgan shopping centre have put in a food section just inside door

I just got an e-mail from them which includes a money off barcode. At the top of the e-mail is a banner which states ...
    'Stillorgan Foodhall NOW OPEN'

with no more details. I'm sure they'll update their website at some stage to reflect the expanded offerings in that store....

https://www.dunnesstores.com/store-locator/stores/127

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

coylemj wrote: »
    I just got an e-mail from them which includes a money off barcode. At the top of the e-mail is a banner which states ...

with no more details. I'm sure they'll update their website at some stage to reflect the expanded offerings in that store....

https://www.dunnesstores.com/store-locator/stores/127

Presumably selling dry foods only, they wouldn't go to the expense of installing fridges and freezers would they for a temporary set up would they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Presumably selling dry foods only, they wouldn't go to the expense of installing fridges and freezers would they for a temporary set up would they ?

They have some fridges and freezers in Dun Laoghaire

• Advertisement

In reference to Dunnes new 'foodhall' in Stillorgan SC.....

Apparently they did just that, according to post #4922 ...

It wouldn't be worth their while setting aside floor space to sell only dry goods because they wouldn't be offering much more than what you can buy next door in Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    Dealz isn't a serious food retailer, they have a very limited range so would hardly be affected at all if Dunnes start selling food. Might even bring them a few new customers for general merchandise.
    I think dealz still suffer from the stigma of being lumped into being a "poundshop"

If I am eating/cooking something and say I got it in dealz there is usually a bit of a joke about it, and a look of disgust! Even though it could be a brand you get in any regular supermarket.

also people are simply unaware that they have so much food from reputable brands. You have to know your prices going in, I guess you could cross check on your phone. The sizes are often different so it can be hard to figure out.

I think dealz would do well to get rid of some of the tat and get more food in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    I think dealz still suffer from the stigma of being lumped into being a "poundshop"

That’s exactly what it is, it’s Poundland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Harvey Nichols to reopen in Dundrum

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/harvey-nichols-to-reopen-in-dundrum-39772166.html

Good to see a big name reopen after fears it was closing for good. Not that I'd be able to afford anything there. A Guinness pop up shop and a few other new stores also opening in Dundrum per the article.

If I am eating/cooking something and say I got it in dealz there is usually a bit of a joke about it, and a look of disgust! Even though it could be a brand you get in any regular supermarket.

also people are simply unaware that they have so much food from reputable brands. You have to know your prices going in, I guess you could cross check on your phone. The sizes are often different so it can be hard to figure out.

A lot of the branded goods in dealz are in smaller sizes than in supermarkets

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Given the parent is Poundland in the UK and they are so big, they get manufacturers to produce certain goods in sizes you won't get anywhere else except Poundland/Dealz so is hard to compare....

Part of the reason is that a lot of what they sell are 'grey imports' - goods originally destined for different markets but which they buy from unofficial sources and divert to Ireland. So you'll often see non-food products like toothpaste with the details printed in Asian languages. And the item may be a different size to the one that's imported by the authorised distributor.

The whole attraction of Dealz is the 'tat'. I rarely go there with a specific item in mind (maybe soap and/or toothpaste, which are in the first aisle) but I usually buy a few items, including 'tat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s exactly what it is, it’s Poundland!!
    Yes it's owned by them, unfortunately not £1 prices though, all I am saying is there is a stimga attached to "poundshops" "€2 euro shops", even if you are buying the exact same brands. Wiki calls them "variety stores" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_store

They are different to what I knew of "poundshops" back in the 80s or 90s, you would not be getting a big selection of heinz sauces, a big variety of fairy liquid(s) and very large range of kelloggs products in any old poundshops I knew.

If you took the signage and prices down and put in a dealz I would tell it a mile off from any other 1.50/2euro shop I know of.

And some are bigger, and some are sizes in between the many sizes in supermarkets. As I already said "You have to know your prices going in, I guess you could cross check on your phone. The sizes are often different so it can be hard to figure out."

Loads of stuff in dealz is above €1.50 and that is where some really good value are. 10x51g snickers are €3. One you get in a newsagent is 48g, multipacks in tesco are 35.5g & 41.7G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dealz are moving into the "variety store" sphere.

They purchased a frozen food company in the uk a couple of months ago and have started to roll out a chilled and frozen food area in stores.

The main launch is next year
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/ranging-and-merchandising/poundland-to-introduce-frozen-and-chilled-food-shops-in-shops-to-60-more-stores/602469.article

Advertisement