Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Music City for the Eminem/Dr.Dre posters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Nal wrote: »
    It was a record shop on both floors in the early 00s.
    I am pretty sure it was a Wendys at one stage too, the US fast food chain. I wonder if there is a record somewhere of what presmises used to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If I remember correctly the record shop closed around 2007/08 and was replaced with Elvery's not long afterwards

I was right it closed in 2007 even then they were talking about these shops being unable to compete with the internet. So perhaps it kicked off the start of a decline.
    https://www.cluas.com/indie-music/Discussion/aft/44029

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Opened in Dundrum area, all within 5 minute drive
    .... 3 wood fired pizza pop-ups.
    End result, nobody makes a good profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It was a record shop on both floors in the early 00s. They used to put great stuff out front and play great new stuff as opposed to the generic stuff HMV did.

Really? I didn't know that. I worked there in 1998/1999 and worked around the town for a few years after that. I wonder when Advance Vision closed and it became just Music City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

rubadub wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it was a Wendys at one stage too, the US fast food chain. I wonder if there is a record somewhere of what presmises used to be.
    Do you know, now that you say that I think I have a distant memory of a Wendys there. It must have been waaay back in the early 80s when I was a small kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

It was a record shop on both floors in the early 00s. They used to put great stuff out front and play great new stuff as opposed to the generic stuff HMV did.

Showing my age here but before all those record/sports shops that was "The Gas Company" showrooms and offices. I remember being send down to DL as a lad to pay the gas bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JayRoc wrote: »
    Do you know, now that you say that I think I have a distant memory of a Wendys there. It must have been waaay back in the early 80s when I was a small kid.
    It would have been mid to late 80s. There was definitely a wendys in dun laoghaire, and I remember it was big was fairly sure it was that premises.

I know it was around that time as I used to get the bus down on my own and would have been too young to be let do that in the early 80s!

I remember it had lovely wooden decor, I think a staircase too. It looked a bit too nice so I guess people thought it was expensive but I think it had some good deals, cheap enough for a kid like me with pocket money. I also think it was not popular as people did not know it was a US chain and didn't know what to make of it. I used to go to the lido & miami for chips, mcdonalds was too expensive -while now they are by far the cheapest if using the eurosaver.

Talk of Wendy's reopening in the UK this year so maybe there might be possible Irish return someday too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Showing my age here but before all those record/sports shops that was "The Gas Company" showrooms and offices. I remember being send down to DL as a lad to pay the gas bill.

And included a really good large theatre on the first floor where we watched the panto every Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JayRoc wrote: »
    Really? I didn't know that. I worked there in 1998/1999 and worked around the town for a few years after that. I wonder when Advance Vision closed and it became just Music City

Maybe that was it yeah. This would've been 2003-2005 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Interesting, I wonder will the wine shop stay or is something else moving in. Space has a lot of potential.

Wine shop moving is as well. Now Glasthule just has the 3 places to buy wine from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Wine shop moving is as well. Now Glasthule just has the 3 places to buy wine from.

That means real hardship for the local community.

Interesting, I wonder will the wine shop stay or is something else moving in. Space has a lot of potential.

Hopefully it will be a swimwear and dryrobe shop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Alliance and Dublin Consumers' Gas Company no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Mig wrote: »

What's the story with this?
    Is the whole building a cafe, or is it residential plus cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »

Residential. + cafe + studios/chalets yet to be built

It’s the same person who owns Hogans, Kelly's Hotel, L'Gueuleton and No Name Bar

New pharmacy (Quigleys) opening soon in Leopardstown Gardens (beside the Leopardstown Inn) in what was The Food Lovers Den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Shame the Food Lovers Den has closed, presumed it wasn’t open because of lockdown but thinking about it , it did takeaway food so should have been open

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

A new deli is opening in Killiney Stores, beside the Druid's Chair. The name escapes me for now, but it's the second outlet for an established Greystones deli. Should do well there.

Eleven Deli

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

A new deli is opening in Killiney Stores, beside the Druid's Chair. The name escapes me for now, but it's the second outlet for an established Greystones deli. Should do well there.

Hard to say, there's bugger all parking around there, so they're relying on locals, foot traffic from the hill and cross-selling from the Druid's chairs customers.
    There's definitely a market, but whether it's sufficient to be sustainable or not in the medium term, beyond the initial novelty factor, remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hard to say, there's bugger all parking around there, so they're relying on locals, foot traffic from the hill and cross-selling from the Druid's chairs customers.
    There's definitely a market, but whether it's sufficient to be sustainable or not in the medium term, beyond the initial novelty factor, remains to be seen.

I’m local I think they will do well although it’ll be a blow to the coffee shop in Killiney hill . The coffee in there is awful but their sandwiches and cavistons cakes are nice .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting; the redevelopment of that site was the subject of a planning objection by Ali Hewson and their tenant (Guggi or Gavin Friday, can’t remember which) as it would involve closing up a private pathway to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I cycled past it yesterday and there was a huge dead rat across the road. Hopefully the magpies and the grey crows will have disposed of it before official opening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ted1 wrote: »
    Residential. + cafe + studios/chalets yet to be built

It’s the same person who owns Hogans, Kelly's Hotel, L'Gueuleton and No Name Bar

kellys in rosslare?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Interesting; the redevelopment of that site was the subject of a planning objection by Ali Hewson and their tenant (Guggi or Gavin Friday, can’t remember which) as it would involve closing up a private pathway to the beach.
    Nothing interesting about it. Got picked up in the media , made a big deal about something small. All that is required is for the planning to ensure the private right of way is maintained.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    kellys in rosslare?

The one in Dublin : https://www.kellysdublin.com/

Advertisement