Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Drove past a few weeks ago and there was a massive queue to get in. It looks like a fruit and veg shop is it? And they also sell coffee?

The queue - always there - is for the coffee shop (Cosy Bean) in the corner; a fabulous place!

Next door and recently opened is Robbie’s Greengrocers, an offshoot of the really successful business down towards Kilmacud/Stillorgan.

Churchtown is really buzzing these days and great to see local businesses like these doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It's been closed a while now but Leisureplex Stillorgan is to be demolished soon, Tinnelly Demolition are currently securing the site, I'd imagine they'll get on with it fairly promptly.

The demolition job nearly done as per the photo in the article below:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bowled-over-stillorgan-leisureplex-to-be-demolished-1.4557647

While it was by no means an engineering marvel, it is sad to see many childhood memories levelled to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The demolition job nearly done as per the photo in the article below:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bowled-over-stillorgan-leisureplex-to-be-demolished-1.4557647

While it was by no means an engineering marvel, it is sad to see many childhood memories levelled to the ground.

I'm just across the road from it, have been watching as it comes down, they're doing it methodically and recycling everything. The newer part on the left has yet to be touched, I'd imagine the roof will be disposed of before they go near that. I have heard locally that the same demolition firm are to knock the (now empty) old folks housing behind the bowling alley.
    I just hope they get on with building, it would be terrible to be left with another derelict site in the centre of Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I think it was originally built as a factory. I wonder was there asbestos in roof hence care in demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The demolition job nearly done

Or breakfast at 4am after late pints in Club92 :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Darc19 wrote: »
    Or breakfast at 4am after late pints in Club92 :D:D

Or Bondi Beach which is also gone. I remember many a night on the sauce followed by 10 pin bowling!

Thankfully, Bray Bowl is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I liked going to Leisureplex Stillorgan when I was a kid. I will miss the place now that it's no longer here. I haven't been up in that bowling alley for years though. I have only been to the Shopping Centre or the Odeon Cinema when I went to Stillorgan before Covid. What a way to bow out of business while it's during a pandemic.

Is the new bowling alley & american diner in Dundrum Town Centre still going ahead as planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah jaysis, they demolished a nice old Bowler in Dundrum to build the flipping Centre in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Or Bondi Beach which is also gone. I remember many a night on the sauce followed by 10 pin bowling!

Thankfully, Bray Bowl is still alive.

We have been playing snooker there for years once a week. We managed to play a few times last year between lockdowns (July/Aug) but back then the management were saying they wouldn't survive another lockdown. Hopefully they will reopen..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Such a shame to see one of the few family friendly amenities in Stillorgan disappear. Nothing really left for a wet winters day apart from pubs, restaurants and shops now with the swimming pool and bowling alley gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New crepe place at the entrance of Mao in Stillorgan SC, looks like they've taken a corner of the restaurant, takeaway only by the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

New crepe place at the entrance of Mao in Stillorgan SC, looks like they've taken a corner of the restaurant, takeaway only by the looks.

Outdoor dining is back on June 7th so they'll be in business for sitdown pretty soon. There was always tables outside before the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Looks fab - they do waffles and ice cream too. A kind of scrumdiddly's vibe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The Leisureplex site is now in the process of being demolished as many may be aware but does anyone what's happening with the old Blakes/Bondi/Esmonde Motors site. No progress of any sort since they demolished the old buildings.

GT89 wrote: »
    The Leisureplex site is now in the process of being demolished as many may be aware but does anyone what's happening with the old Blakes/Bondi/Esmonde Motors site. No progress of any sort since they demolished the old buildings.

Cairn homes have a live permission for 600 students beds and 100 apartments on the site since 2018 in pretty high density up to 10 storeys.

Last September they acquired a small adjoining site but haven't changed anything yet.

My guess is they are waiting out the pandemic to see what the most advantageous use of the site might be in future and apply to change their permission and incorporate the extra land into it.

Either way, I wouldn't expect to see one brick on top of another there for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Anyone got any idea what's going on with Starbucks Sandyford? Looks like it's disappeared off their website

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Meesared wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea what's going on with Starbucks Sandyford? Looks like it's disappeared off their website
    It's being renovated. Saw builders in there yesterday.

Du Pareil Au Meme (children's clothes) opened up in Stillorgan SC

Du Pareil Au Meme (children's clothes) opened up in Stillorgan

Whereabouts?

Whereabouts?

The shopping centre

• Advertisement

The shopping centre

Sorry I meant where in there, besides what shop?

Sorry I meant where in there, besides what shop?

I don't know as I only saw it on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=171141014931820

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

It is located in the old shoe repair unit, sadly I think that is the 'last' of the original occupants of the Centre from when it opened in 1965.

Garlinge wrote: »
    It is located in the old shoe repair unit, sadly I think that is the 'last' of the original occupants of the Centre from when it opened in 1965.

Thought Dunnes were an original occupant and does Quinnsworth/Tesco count but I take the point as it's the last of the independent units.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Garlinge wrote: »

Isn't it inside the centre, beside Book Station and Best (or in that general area)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What's the progress like at Power City in Sallynoggin for it's renovations? What type of work has to be done in there?

I was in there quite a few times over the years. It's a very big building to get your electrical goods.

I was in there quite a few times over the years. It's a very big building to get your electrical goods.

"Its a big building full of sick people, but that's not important right now"

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Might have been mentioned already, but Daata Tandoori opening up in space formerly occupied by Carluccios / Weafer & Cooper. Guess will be sustained by takeaway business in the early months as there's little to none usable outdoor space there.

Question: What's happened Kavanaghs butchers? Has been closed last couple of times I've passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

qb123 wrote: »

Question: What's happened Kavanaghs butchers? Has been closed last couple of times I've passed it.

Noel Kavanagh retired at the end of April

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rhona/permalink/4276763525707733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

qb123 wrote: »
    Might have been mentioned already, but Daata Tandoori opening up in space formerly occupied by Carluccios / Weafer & Cooper.

Is this Glasthule?

Daata are excellent. Loved going there (both Greystones and Bray) when we lived that way.

Advertisement