Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Mcdonalds and kfc are too open in carrickmines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds and kfc are too open in carrickmines
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

fjon wrote: »
    Where?
    Construction has just started in The Park in Carrickmines, beside Costa Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

didnt think they'd bother with up there, The Park is a ghost town after about 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

didnt think they'd bother with up there, The Park is a ghost town after about 7pm

Plenty of near buy apartments. Also as its empty there's plenty of parking and it's just off the motorway. Not a fan of fat food but Its a great location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If they're building to the plans I looked at over the summer, then both KFC and McDonalds will be drive-thrus. Ghost-town after 7pm or not, drive-thrus always attract business.

What I cannot understand is how Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have consistently gone against their bent of public-transport oriented development by allowing construction of The Park and its associated car-dependency. It pisses me off how on the one hand they have a highly forward-thinking model in the form of the Cherrywood SDZ, while there isn't even a ****ing masterplan required of The Park for its inevitable continued development. The LAP for Kilternan doesn't even cover The Park, but just about borders it. Ffs. Whoever owns The Park must be a very rich man, with very influential friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

It's hardly that far from public transport. The Luas is a 10 minute walk, just slightly further than walking from Balally to the Dundrum centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

It's busy enough at weekends, but main target market must be drivers turning off the M50. The signs seem to suggest they'll both be drive-thrus.
    It's hardly that far from public transport. The Luas is a 10 minute walk, just slightly further than walking from Balally to the Dundrum centre.
    As the crow flies it's not far, but it's hardly a pleasant walk. Different from an established area like Balally which is surrounded by estates that have existed for decades. Given that they're drive-thrus, it's pretty clear that it's aimed at drivers.

There are a few useful stores in The Park, but the planning history in that area is more than a little bizarre. An almost rural locale until the late 90s and then suddenly became an apparently appropriate area for apartment blocks and drive-thrus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I think a lidl or an aldi would do well up there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You're focussing on a very small element of my gripe. My problem with The Park is that it's being developed in a piecemeal manner, which DLR seems to be completely cool with. Best practice shows that where there is obvious intent for continued development, a master plan should be drawn up by the developer at the request of the planning authority. DLR has not done this, even though it's bloody obvious that there will be further development at the site. They even allude to it in the Kiltiernan LAP. A case of one rule for some and one rule for others - very shady indeed.

I do not wish to derail the thread. Two new businesses opening up is good news, particularly for the unskilled unemployed. Just pointing out the planning irregularities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Nandos in DL is opening on the 25th September

I read Starbucks were to open beside Nandos in DL? Has the Starbucks opened there yet or any work being done that suggests an imminent opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

ongarboy wrote: »
    I read Starbucks were to open beside Nandos in DL? Has the Starbucks opened there yet or any work being done that suggests an imminent opening?

Starbucks and Nandos are both open!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes Starbucks and Nandos in adjacant premises located half way along Marine Road ... which connects the main street of Dun Laoire to the seafront.

Just to report and lovely new feature which is the opening up of 'the battery' or the building at the end of the east pier in Dun Laoire. It is a great place to see with interesting historical items. There are great views of bay with some shelter from wind on a wild day.

But best of all is new coffee outlet called Teddy's located inside... very good coffee for 2 euro and deal of four icecreams for 6 euro (two adult and two kiddie sized) :) It is in a trailer parked in the yard of the building complex. Chap running it said he was here Sat and Sunday, not sure of rest of week and he was there until at least end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sn. Preguisoco

I was told by a friend who worked for Cloudberries in Cabinteely that it closed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just to report and lovely new feature which is the opening up of 'the battery' or the building at the end of the east pier in Dun Laoire. It is a great place to see with interesting historical items. There are great views of bay with some shelter from wind on a wild day.

But best of all is new coffee outlet called Teddy's located inside... very good coffee for 2 euro and deal of four icecreams for 6 euro (two adult and two kiddie sized) :) It is in a trailer parked in the yard of the building complex. Chap running it said he was here Sat and Sunday, not sure of rest of week and he was there until at least end of November.

That's being open over a year now

just goes to show when I last did the east pier...:) have done west pier more in past year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magda77

New nail place "New York Nails" opening opposite Alex's newsagent on Georges St Dun Laoghaire.

P.s. if anyone can find a link to the place for prices please let me know! Cheers

New york Nails is in Cork, and I don't think they own a shop in dublin yet so i doubt thats the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The old homeware and used gold shop in Bloomfields has a new tennant and is opening soon.

Anyone know what is going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

The old homeware and used gold shop in Bloomfields has a new tennant and is opening soon.

Anyone know what is going in there?
    Heard it was Mens clothes shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Have nothing to back this up but have heard that KFC are moving into the old M&S location in Dun Laoghaire.

Also heard that Debenhams are to take all of the top floor in the Dun Laoghaire SC. Great news for the centre if it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

frash wrote: »
    Have nothing to back this up but have heard that KFC are moving into the old M&S location in Dun Laoghaire.

Also heard that Debenhams are to take all of the top floor in the Dun Laoghaire SC. Great news for the centre if it's true.

very surprising if either of these were true.

iirc correctly, there was already a KFC in Dun Laoghaire before which failed.

and I thought Debenhams were strugging with their B&M stores?
    The Blackrock one does be empty most of the time.
    only way I could see that happening is if they were given a good enough deal on the rent to justify relocating from Blackrock to Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

iirc correctly, there was already a KFC in Dun Laoghaire before which failed.
    I dunno if you could consider it "failing" just because previous ones decided to close, KFC seem to operate differently than say McDonalds. Do you remember them struggling for customers?

I cannot think offhand of any mcdonalds which has closed down, I can think of numerous KFCs that have though so maybe they just have a different policy about such things. I think some mcdonalds are franchises and some are owned by the company.

I can't remember seeing any KFCs being empty as standard, like the now closed abras in dun laoghaire was.

I think KFC have been in dun laoghaire twice before.

In saying that McDonalds is not overly busy these days though, and I never see BK full so don't have high hopes for it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

frash wrote: »

Yeah there was a KFC where the vacant Halifax now stands, but that was back in the 80's, and it was a truly awful restaurant.

The rumour of Debenhams or other multiple going into Level 3 of DLSC has been going for a fair while, but I do know they are actively moving the Level 3 tenants to other units downstairs at the moment, so something is afoot. I also know some of the tenants are being very bolshy about the conditions of moving!

My first thought was that they would close Level 3 altogether and concentrate resources on the 2 remaining levels with all the tenants, it would certainly give a better impression. I cant see the logic of Debenhams moving a large operation into DL, they have a 3 level store in Blackrock just 10 mins away, which isnt very busy, and for the same reasons M&S left DL Id be surprised if they wanted to come to the town. It would hardly make up for not being a presence in Dundrum either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Golden Arches are going through smooth waters in Ireland at the moment http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/do-you-want-profits-with-that-mcdonalds-enjoys-123pc-rise-29780873.html

There's a KFC beside BK, which is beside McD's, in the Square (IIFC) and it always looks to be the poor relation in terms of customers. I wonder if the M&S store would be too big a space for it?

I overheard a snippet of conversation about the future of the Trespass store in the shopping centre. I understood it to mean that the SC management/owners were being entirely unreasonable in their rental expectations in the current climate and if the shop closes there, will look to relocate elsewhere in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is anything happening in the old shopping centre in Shankill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

mhge wrote: »
    I live in Shankill and the latest is the neighbours down in Dorney Court/Corbawn Lane in Shankill are debating over the height off some wall :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

mhge wrote: »
    This is the latest I heard of the Shopping Centre 2day ;

Shankill Shopping Centre Planning pushed out till March 2014 :

The planning authority granted permission in October but, following
    an appeal on part of the conditions... by the applicant, a final decision is
    not now due from An Bord Pleanala until the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was told by my mum earlier this week that Book Deals in Blackrock village is to close and being moved to Merrion Road Shopping Centre. It had been considered by it's owner to make an earlier move to Cabinteely.

I also heard that the new(ish) betting shop Boylesports is going to move in there from it's old location just opposite the main street as it's new tenant.

• Advertisement

I believe there is a KFC outlet to open beside a McD's in the Park, Carrickmines. Building underconstruction beside the Costa Coffee outlet. There is a new Next there now replacing one of furniture outlets.

Advertisement