Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options
1212213214215216218»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Our alcohol licensing laws are archaic here in Ireland. On most of the continent you can get a pint in McDonald's. Heck in Italy pretty much everywhere that serves food serves alcohol beers in the same fridge with the cans of coke and water none of this bollox of having a partition between the off licence section and the rest of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its true.

I mean the number of inquests into Bowling related deaths attributable to gross toxication must be in the thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If McDonalds wanted to they could do that here, the meals have got dear enough to hit the 9 quid limit that determines what is a "substantial meal" that we likely all remember from the pandemic but is actually used to determine other stuff in licencing laws.

Laws are still ridiculous and neoprohibitionist - the idea that we must be treated like children (and that'll stop us wanting to do adult things) is embedded in licencing law decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would expect that if the crowds go to the new bowling alley in Dundrum TC on opening day in the lead up to Christmas; it could be serving a very large number of customers maybe for the first few weeks of trading.

It would take place in the height of the Christmas shopping season. The amount of families with young children that could go there might be quite substantial throughout the winter period. It also serves as a convenient compromise for people living in places like Blackrock, Stillorgan, Nutgrove & Rathfarnham to go bowling in Dundrum once it opens in December rather than travelling by bus or by car all the way down to Bray.

It would be incredibly inconvenient for me to travel by bus or train down from Blackrock to Bray. The length of time it would take me to travel down to Bray right now would be far too long. It will get a lot more inconvenient for me to travel down to Bray in the winter when BusConnects changes the bus routes that serve the N11 & Bray in the late Autumn.

It would take me on average about 1 or 2 hours each way to travel on 2 bus routes from my part of Blackrock down to Bray and that includes a long enough time to switch buses in-between each stop near White's Cross in Newtownpark Avenue. By comparison; my journey time from my nearest bus stop in my part of Blackrock to go the new bowling alley in Dundrum TC would only take me roughly about 15 or 20 minutes by bus each way with about a 5 minute walk in-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

take the DART from Blackrock, straight to Bray bowl

I actually prefer to go Down to diamond bowl in Wicklow. It’s much cheaper than bray and with an EV the driving costs are negligible only takes about 25 minutes to get there from Killiney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

Pop over to Liverpool and have a look.

Absolutely fab. Bowling is just one element https://lane7.co.uk/venues/liverpool/

When I lived in Innsbruck there was a bowling alley with music, DJ, bar and food - and that was early 90's

Always thought something like that would do well here

Olympian Gymnastics has opened in Nutgrove above the old Argos ( now maxizoo)

Really good for kids and teens. I think they also do toddler "free play" in the mornings for about a tenner. (They do it in Tallaght ) Can give parents a nice breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't live near Blackrock Dart Station. I live in Newtownpark Avenue which means the nearest Dart Station to me is down at Seapoint. The 84 bus to Newcastle is the nearest bus route near me to get me directly to Bray. However the route has an atrocious frequency on it; especially at the weekends.

If I was taking a much quicker PT journey to get down to Bray. I would take a bus like the L25 or the S8 to Dún Laoghaire Dart Station instead and then take a Dart from Dún Laoghaire to Bray.

Although; I wouldn't need to take that long journey down to Bray at all from December onwards. I just get the L25 bus to get from my address over to Dundrum in roughly 20 minutes each way which is much easier than travelling to Bray.

• Advertisement

Typical begrudgery of anything new. I suspect you are hoping it will fail. Reminds me of when Center Parcs said they'd be opening in Ireland and you had a certain type of poster claiming it would fail, saying it would not get good staff, saying that they'd be gone in 5 years.

Seems you search searched and searched again for a negative story with the lane 7 name and finally found one that in reality had nothing to do with the place - just happened that two groups of opposing football "fans" went into the same location and a bit of a scuffle broke out and then it went onto a bigger scuffle on the street.

But you think that just because of one scuffle between football thugs that this place is not suitable for Dundrum?

Maybe actually read up on what it offers and how successful they are and how suitable it is for today's families. It will be a superb addition to Dundrum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The addition to Dundrum opens in December...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

The Orchard in Stillorgan has closed ceased trading on the 14th July 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Roald Dahl

….

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Roald Dahl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Advertisement