Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

In order to bring clarity to the situation, I did some detective work today (I walked from Dalkey to Georges Street :P )

Re: MarsellasLegendgate - There is indeed a 'new' place next door - the aforementioned Italian that replaced the Thai Palace. It's been there for ages. It's not exactly a competitor, they serve an Italian menu with a small portion dedicated to Burgers/Chips ITICA food which I would hazard a guess come from Marsella's.. I previously assumed they were related but they may not be.
    so i guess it should be called marsellas cafe like the way some chippers have a greasy spoon cafe attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Thanks Mick but I thought Karisan was asian / thai and not Italian? :confused::confused::confused:

You are correct. Karisan is a separate discussion, they are in the old Abrakebabra premises. :D

Can we move on from talking about marsellas/legends i sugest making a separate thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Can we move on from talking about marsellas/legends i sugest making a separate thread

Separate thread for Dun Laoghaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just because other people can't be bothered posting about other areas in South Dublin is no reason for moaning at those who do

• Advertisement

Martinos in cabinteely closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Door 51 closed in Ranelagh. Reopening as Edelwise (Fondue restaurant)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I read on Facebook that Hicks in Dun Laoghaire closed down on Saturday. Hopefully it's only a rumour

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hicks are closed today also. Shutters down and lights off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Martinos in cabinteely closed

I thought it did reasonably OK. The new inidan across from the church will probably not last much longer, never see a sinner in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

New outlet for cupcakes located on Sandyford Road on outer section of the main shopping centre, near one of car park entrance/exits.

Looks in cournelscourt closed i dont know it stayed buisness so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Looks in cournelscourt closed i dont know it stayed buisness so long

Just moved to Deansgrange...above The shops there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cobham wrote: »
    New outlet for cupcakes located on Sandyford Road on outer section of the main shopping centre, near one of car park entrance/exits.
    Just a couple of doors up from the HealthWave chemist that opened before Xmas, which have excellent prices on prescription drugs.

Just moved to Deansgrange...above The shops there.

Kicked out of where they were because they weren't paying the rent.
    I think its the first unit to close in their in the shops up their with centra since they were built in around 2002

Is macaris in deansgrange closed because i drove past it last night and it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Is macaris in deansgrange closed because i drove past it last night and it was closed

Has been closed about a week or so now

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Has been closed about a week or so now
    Do you know why

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Do you know why

Suuprised it didn't close years ago TBH. Liberos seem to soak up most of the market in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Looks like there's a Firehouse Pizza outlet opening on the Rock Road near Ferris Wheels. Businesses don't seem to do well in that spot. But hopefully they'll succeed, have heard good things about their Northside outlet. And at least that area will have an alternative to the over-priced cardboard served up by Dominos.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Blackrock Wetherspoons has a name (Three Tun Tavern) and an opening date (8 July)...

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/the-name-and-date-of-wetherspoon-ireland-first-location-revealed-1334587-Feb2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Looks like the Blackrock Wetherspoons has a name (Three Tun Tavern) and an opening date (8 July)...

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/the-name-and-date-of-wetherspoon-ireland-first-location-revealed-1334587-Feb2014/

Pity it doesn't announce the price of the beer ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

WORST...NAME....EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

WORST...NAME....EVER!
    it was actually the winning name in a poll. To me it reminded me of "Two Ton Tessie"
    DUN laoghaire Gazette 9 January 2014 competition British pub chain looking for a fitting name Win a chance to christen new Wetherspoon’s  Bairbre Ni Bhraonain British pub chain Wetherspoon’s are offering local readers from Blackrock and the surrounding area the opportunity to christen the first Wetherspoon’s pub in Ireland.

The new pub, due to open this April, will be located at 1Temple Road. This location has been a bar site for many years. To honour this tradition, the new owners have decided to poll readers Enterprisenews to find the most popular of four shortlisted names that have been chosen for the new pub by the management.

All four potential names are steeped in Blackrock history. The first option is Cary’s Fort. The corner of Carysfort Avenue held The Cary’s Fort Bar in the 1980s. The avenue leads to Carysfort Park, the thoroughfare of which was once the Stillorgan estate now long gone as is Stillorgan House. All that now remains is an obelisk and grotto near the top of Carysfort Avenue.

The second name is The Cross of the Rock; a nod to the small stone cross that marked the jurisdictional limit of the Lord Mayor of Dublin in medieval times. The Cross of the Rock has a face carved on one side and is thought to date back centuries to pre-Christian times. The Sign of the Ship is the third potential name for the new pub. This eponymous title honours a former 18th century vil- lage inn which provided the best clarets and spirits to the Anglo-Irish aristocracy of Blackrock.

Finally, the last name choice is The Three Tun Tavern. It relates to the tavern which stood in the last half of the 18th century. A tun is a large beer cask or barrel. The original Three Tun Tavern’s owner was called Bishop and the tavern survived until quite recently. Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said: “We are looking forward to opening our first pub in the Republic of Ireland, in Blackrock itself. “We choose our pub names very carefully to reflect the area itself and have selected four for consideration. “We are keen for Gazette readers to take part in the process of choosing the name that will adorn the Wetherspoon pub in their area.” Watford-based company JD Wetherspoon purchased the Tonic Bar in Temple Road, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock for €1.5m and will now invest a further €1.5m developing the site before it opens for business in April. You can email The Gazette to vote for your preferred name at competitions@gazettegroup. com.
    http://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dun_laoghaire_e48e91b6a9df08/6

Cary's Fort seems the obvious one I thought would win. Should be no more than 2 words except for maybe "the" being in it. NObody is going to say "are we heading down to the three tun tavern". Probably will be shortened to "the tavern" which sounds alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Floyd Mayweather ignored the result of an online poll, so should Wetherspoons.

The name is just the start of nonsense that comes with these awful 'pub in a box' outlets. The UK is blighted with them. Think Starbucks with ale. Not very good ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Larbre34 wrote: »

The name is just the start of nonsense that comes with these awful 'pub in a box' outlets. The UK is blighted with them. Think Starbucks with ale. Not very good ale.
    Think popular and providing a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

You obviously don't know your ale :rolleyes:

I've said it before - it's simply replacing what was a pretty dire and soulless bar anyway. No loss. At least in its new incarnation it might be slightly cheaper and/or have a better selection of beers.

Of course you could just walk 2 minutes to the Dark Horse for a much better option. But choice is good, especially when it comes to such a sheltered industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

rubadub wrote: »
    it was actually the winning name in a poll. To me it reminded me of "Two Ton Tessie"

http://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dun_laoghaire_e48e91b6a9df08/6

Cary's Fort seems the obvious one I thought would win. Should be no more than 2 words except for maybe "the" being in it. NObody is going to say "are we heading down to the three tun tavern". Probably will be shortened to "the tavern" which sounds alright.

I suspect it will be shortened to the Tree Tun as that is what it was always called when it was there. My uncle drank there all his life. It was just down from the church on the same side. Not sure what its called now as its had a few reincarnations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I suspect it will be shortened to the Tree Tun as that is what it was always called when it was there. My uncle drank there all his life. It was just down from the church on the same side. Not sure what its called now as its had a few reincarnations.

It was called The Three Tun Inn, I drank in it until it closed, circa 1989

21/25

Advertisement