Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Think popular and providing a service.

Both very much remain to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

uch wrote: »
    It was called The Three Tun Inn, I drank in it until it closed, circa 1989

Correct but everybody I knew called it the Tree Tun so the Tree Tun Tavern will I suspect become The Tree Tun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Correct but everybody I knew called it the Tree Tun so the Tree Tun Tavern will I suspect become The Tree Tun...

There was a three tun inn near where I used to live, it was known as the three tuns and the junction it was on as the three tuns crossroads.

They are quite clever when it comes to naming, they usually put a bit of research in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

WORST...NAME....EVER!

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Wait for it....

There's another 'Hair Studio' opening on Georges Street. Talk about saturation of a market, there must be 10 of them already!! :confused:

It's a unit beside Sherry Fitz that was one of those dodgy we buy gold places until fairly recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wait for it....

There's another 'Hair Studio' opening on Georges Street. Talk about saturation of a market, there must be 10 of them already!! :confused:

It's a unit beside Sherry Fitz that was one of those dodgy we buy gold places until fairly recently.

Am I missing something. There is moaning about too many empty shops. Then there is moaning about what type of shops should are should not be opened.

Anyone who has the b**ls to open up a business at the moment should be 100% encouraged and supported, not undermined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The name is just the start of nonsense that comes with these awful 'pub in a box' outlets. The UK is blighted with them. Think Starbucks with ale. Not very good ale.
    Over in the beer forum loads of the regulars are looking forward to the arrival. I was in one last year, great ales, the majority of pubs here just have one, bog standard weak bland smithwicks -pathetic. And you're lucky if there is more than 1 stout on offer.

Go to the coffee forum and you will not see starbucks recommended by any of the regulars.
    Chinasea wrote: »
    Am I missing something.
    Perhaps missing his confused smiley. He didn't seem to be really moaning, just saying there are loads.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Am I missing something. There is moaning about too many empty shops. Then there is moaning about what type of shops should are should not be opened.

Anyone who has the b**ls to open up a business at the moment should be 100% encouraged and supported, not undermined.

That's a fair comment. I run a small business myself and know how difficult it is to get going so in that sense fair play to them.

However, I think some common sense is required when opening a new business, especially in Dún Laoghaire in 2014.

I have an office just off Georges Street and take an active interest in local business (as my posts here suggest) and I don't see any of their competitors run of their feet at the moment - and I do pay attention. Probably more than any heterosexual male probably should!

I have talked to people who are similar businesses in DL and I don't think I'm underestimating the demand. Maybe they'll do it better than the rest. Their signage is nice and clear.

I just think more imagination is required in general if there's to be some improvement on the street.

Seems to be a new place opening in the former Lido/Sahal Indian. Asian food of some description and the new name is Avocado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Seems to be a new place opening in the former Lido/Sahal Indian. Asian food of some description and the new name is Avocado.
    Why did the lido close in the first place i always thought chippers were quite strong buisnesses

New coffee deli place watercress in cabinteely in the former la creme bon premises

• Advertisement

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Why did the lido close in the first place i always thought chippers were quite strong buisnesses

Not sure. Seems like a terrible location to me.

Miami Cafe is a goldmine. Marsella's not so much.

However, I think some common sense is required when opening a new business, especially in Dún Laoghaire in 2014.
    I wonder how much research goes into some places. In cabinteely village across from the church the chinese restaurant failed miserably. it is now an Indian restaurant and seems to be doing very little business again as I would have guessed.
    I also guessed the indian takeaway in in the lido's premises would close, and it did.
    stehyl15 wrote: »
    DL had the miami, the ritz, lido's & marsellas. Then it had BK, McDs, used have abras etc. That's an unusual amount of traditional chippers. Blackrock & dalkey only have 1 traditional chipper each. Central dublin city centre used to have a very odd lack of chippers.

Lido used to be a bit odd in that you had to walk past all the cafe tables to get to the counter, when I was a kid I thought it was just a cafe and used to go to the miami, I know others who also did not know you could go in and get a takeaway bag of chips, they just looked in the window and figured it wasn't a normal chipper. I think years ago it was called the "lido cafe" which would not have helped.

I see it clearly said takeout on the google street view
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Dun+Laoghaire+Shopping+Centre,+Dublin&hl=en&ll=53.2929,-6.13713&spn=0.007747,0.019945&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=15.871454,40.847168&oq=dun+l&hq=Dun+Laoghaire+Shopping+Centre,+Dublin&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.292972,-6.137038&panoid=T0_5UWbL4xOPj5UkD6nceQ&cbp=12,300.32,,0,8.59

its an unfortunate location with the big expanse of wall on the other side, looks like a side street that drunks would use as a urinal.

Miami Cafe is a goldmine. Marsella's not so much.
    ritz isint in agreat location either tbh i only knew lidos was there when it closed

Only went in the ritz once and got a miserable portion so never back. At least it is fairly well lit up and "up" a lane, the lido was going down a grotty looking dark lane.

Looked up the ritz for pics and found this.

Pcall-fish-and-chips-da00110944.jpg
    hmmm, something tells me those 2 are not regulars there ;)

Some work seem to be going on in macaris in deansgrange

Grafton barbers in cornelscourt is opening tommorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some interesting things was happening while I walked around Blackrock yesterday including a number of cosmetic changes in the Frascati Centre.

The relocated Boylesports betting shop in the main street beside Cafe Java has new signage although the exterior of the shop is still coloured in blue. It has a large free WiFi sign on the outside.

Marks & Spencers are in the process of building a new restaurant at the back of its store. The new restaurant is replacing the ladies wear section of the store. There is a new shoe shop that is called Verdana which has now combined space of two shops which came from the old Book Value store.

There is some work being carried out on the old Adams store for kids clothes right beside the entrance to Debenhams.

The new Book Value shop in Frascati is now located in the old Bus Stop newsagents.

Some interesting things was happening while I walked around Blackrock yesterday including a number of cosmetic changes in the Frascati Centre.

The relocated Boylesports betting shop in the main street beside Cafe Java has new signage although the exterior of the shop is still coloured in blue. It has a large free WiFi sign on the outside.

Marks & Spencers are in the process of building a new restaurant at the back of its store. The new restaurant is replacing the ladies wear section of the store. There is a new shoe shop that is called Verdana which has now combined space of two shops which came from the old Book Value store.

There is some work being carried out on the old Adams store for kids clothes right beside the entrance to Debenhams.

The new Book Value shop in Frascati is now located in the old Bus Stop newsagents.
    god frascati has gone to the pits since roches stores became dembanhems havent been in it much since debanhems is really an awful i remember when marks + spancers was a supervalu now its across the road replacing superquinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Your spelling, punctuation and grammar is the pits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Synode wrote: »

What has that got to do with new Business

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

There were plans to redevelop Frascati at the end of the Tiger era, but obviously that never happened...

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/roches-plans-85m-frascati-centre-revamp-25991941.html

Although it's not surprising that the centre was going to be redeveloped, it feels incredibly dated and hollow now, without the quaint charm of somewhere like Stillorgan SC or even the Blackrock centre across the road. Ironic that Roches Stores is gone and its replacement is already past it's sell-by-date, when the original Frescati House had survived for so long.

On topic, there's a little activity in Blackrock Village as noted above. Sherry Fitzgerald seem to be taking over one of the units on the Main Street too. Though an estate agency and a revamped bookies isn't too much to shout about.

Costa coffee seems to be opening up in esso on the run garages i hope it will be an improvement on the nine one one place

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

uch wrote: »
    What has that got to do with new Business

In fairness it's bad and incorrect historically, was in there last week and both shopping centres were like God's waiting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Synode wrote: »

It's 'are' if you don't mind :)

A-wear in dundrum closed a new store too open there soon and also in dundrum mcdonalds is to takeover the former brenaigans/china buffet king/del arte premises to extend its current branch

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

a new Topline hardware store is opening in Glasthule in the old garage opposite Cavistons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Speaking of Cavistons, apparently the fish shop/deli in Monkstown and the restaurant link up with Goggins pub will all be gone by months end. No mention of if this affects the Glasthule business.

The demise is mentioned in the Sindo, the same edition that reviewed said restaurant in its glossy mag. Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the Monsktown operation is run by one side of the family, the Glasthule by the other. Awkward is right.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Speaking of Cavistons, apparently the fish shop/deli in Monkstown and the restaurant link up with Goggins pub will all be gone by months end. No mention of if this affects the Glasthule business.

The demise is mentioned in the Sindo, the same edition that reviewed said restaurant in its glossy mag. Awkward.

I can find the review online (from Saturday!!) but not this news story.

Any further info or a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

Such a pity Boyle Sports have taken over the old Xtra vision. That run of shops from the soon to be Sherry Fitzgerald upto Insomnia is the absolute pits. Bank of Ireland also looks dreadful. That whole run of shops could do with a serious lick of paint and changes in their facades.

Advertisement