Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can find the review online (from Saturday!!) but not this news story.

Any further info or a link?

No it wasnt online, its a 5-liner in the News in Brief on Pg 2 of the Sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

News UK 24 which has articles from all UK and Ireland papers has the snippet below.

http://www.newsuk24.com/term/Stephen%20Caviston%20Told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    News UK 24 which has articles from all UK and Ireland papers has the snippet below.

http://www.newsuk24.com/term/Stephen%20Caviston%20Told

Is that the one in Glastule that is going then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

reprazant wrote: »
    Is that the one in Glastule that is going then?

No

Caviston's in Glasthule is separate from "S. Caviston" in Monkstown

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If there was one shop in the greater DL area you'd bet on not to close it would be Cavistons of Glasthule. I don't think I've not had to queue (except for the times I may have inadvertently skipped the queue) and you do see people buying alot of stuff in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If there was one shop in the greater DL area you'd bet on not to close it would be Cavistons of Glasthule. I don't think I've not had to queue (except for the times I may have inadvertently skipped the queue) and you do see people buying alot of stuff in there too.

At not so cheap prices as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd only really buy Pate and custard cakes from there and yes they're expensive but they're worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

"S. Caviston" are relocating - not closing.
    New venue to be announced.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/S-Caviston-at-Goggins/752768494737762

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

SuperWok on Cross Ave is now ' Happy Noodle Box ' or something along those lines. Opening soon sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    SuperWok on Cross Ave is now ' Happy Noodle Box ' or something along those lines. Opening soon sign up.

They're about a month behind schedule but look to be close to reopening. Good idea to change it up a bit.. Way too many bog standard Chinese Takeaways in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not opening or closing, but was in DL with the OH tonight looking for a place to sit, noticed Starbucks was open till 10pm, on a Sunday, and not only that, but it was busy. I'd estimate about 25 customers were sitting in at around 9:30pm.

Coffee is pretty piss poor, but I really appreciated the fact there was just something open late and doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not opening or closing, but was in DL with the OH tonight looking for a place to sit,
    Mc Donalds have much better chairs these days, not the old stuck to the floor ones, there are a few types. They have papers to read too, and the coffee is probably on a par with starbucks.

rubadub wrote: »
    Mc Donalds have much better chairs these days, not the old stuck to the floor ones, there are a few types. They have papers to read too, and the coffee is probably on a par with starbucks.

Not if you get on the couches in starbucks (although as I said it was busy, we weren't getting near those couches)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry, I meant mcdonalds chairs are just better than the old ones in mcdonalds, not necessarily better than starbucks, have never been in starbucks.

I read that old mcdonalds chairs were actually designed to be a little uncomfortable to have a higher turnover of customers, no people lounging about all day. Maybe a myth but some of the new ones are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

according to the sign outside, Tesco Metro in Honeypark estate at the bottom of Kill Avenue is opening on May 2nd

rubadub wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant mcdonalds chairs are just better than the old ones in mcdonalds, not necessarily better than starbucks, have never been in starbucks.

I read that old mcdonalds chairs were actually designed to be a little uncomfortable to have a higher turnover of customers, no people lounging about all day. Maybe a myth but some of the new ones are great.

Oh yeah, this is competely Off Topic, but McDonalds is now designed to have a number of comfortable seats and a number of uncomfortable ones (typically the raised seats with no backs on the chairs. The comfortable ones mean it never looks empty, the uncomfortable ones meant its rarely full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Very clever tactic of McDonald's. Also fwiw, their coffee is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Didn't they used to a eurosaver menu of coffee and they got rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Speaking of mcdonalds they are doing a rennovation of the dundrum restaurant and they are adding an upstairs in the former del arte, brennaigans and china buffet king premises. I think the next small-medium unit that comes availaible in dundrum will be snapped up by subway as they are planning a major expansion in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Below is a post in the 'You Know You're from Dun Laoghaire' group on Facebook. I wonder what's going on in the shopping centre???

Hy, just left my Camden shoes into Browns for new heels. Only cost 16.50, cheapest anywhere else 20! Talked to Stephen re his eviction, obviously upset. Showed me his termination notice, he has just paid k10 for his rent and now has a 24 hour notice. He has had an agreement with the previous agents, L.S but now the new agents, M.M. have taken over centre and appear to have agenda to clear centre of the basis of our town, mama an papa places. As I posted earlier I have a feeling that a Dundrum development is in the air here, with the ruin of what is left of our community. Stephen Brown has a little shop that fixes shoes, does laundry, does tailoring alterations to clothes and on the spot engraving (before finding him, I took a week to get my son's 21st watch engraved, just on time) and copies your keys. This is community service and he employs local people. While parking may be a sexxy proposition but the real battle is to retain our local traders who we have a continuous relationship with. Or shall dl turn into a ghetto of multinationals, estate agents and charity shops? Stephen told me he had a journalist in this morn who is gonna help get a petition up for local traders, great idea and sign if you think this right for the future of our town. But, I ask, where are all our intelligent, investigative journalists and writers, of which we have loads, doing? Writing books about the past, as the past is happening in front of your eyes? The shopping centre, horrible to anyone with an ascthetic view, but what is this new development company and their landlord agents have in mind. Gonna do research myself, but need to relax now! Woo, will be back to post soon. Brian Duffy

• Advertisement

The Bagel Factory has closed in DL - 'moved to O'Briens in the shopping centre'.

The small women's shoe shop at the front of the centre has re-opened with a new name.

jpfahy wrote: »
    Below is a post in the 'You Know You're from Dun Laoghaire' group on Facebook. I wonder what's going on in the shopping centre???

Hy, just left my Camden shoes into Browns for new heels. Only cost 16.50, cheapest anywhere else 20! Talked to Stephen re his eviction, obviously upset. Showed me his termination notice, he has just paid k10 for his rent and now has a 24 hour notice. He has had an agreement with the previous agents, L.S but now the new agents, M.M. have taken over centre and appear to have agenda to clear centre of the basis of our town, mama an papa places. As I posted earlier I have a feeling that a Dundrum development is in the air here, with the ruin of what is left of our community. Stephen Brown has a little shop that fixes shoes, does laundry, does tailoring alterations to clothes and on the spot engraving (before finding him, I took a week to get my son's 21st watch engraved, just on time) and copies your keys. This is community service and he employs local people. While parking may be a sexxy proposition but the real battle is to retain our local traders who we have a continuous relationship with. Or shall dl turn into a ghetto of multinationals, estate agents and charity shops? Stephen told me he had a journalist in this morn who is gonna help get a petition up for local traders, great idea and sign if you think this right for the future of our town. But, I ask, where are all our intelligent, investigative journalists and writers, of which we have loads, doing? Writing books about the past, as the past is happening in front of your eyes? The shopping centre, horrible to anyone with an ascthetic view, but what is this new development company and their landlord agents have in mind. Gonna do research myself, but need to relax now! Woo, will be back to post soon. Brian Duffy

Interesting. I do know somebody who had a shop on the top floor who closed down recently, but they were offered units downstairs and decided against it. M&M seem to have been in place for a while and there are new tenants coming in (work going on in the recently closed Halal Chicken place and Sweetest Thing. Shoe shop reopened at the front of the centre, all of which look independent so the above seems a bit strange.

I don't know where the above place is, so the location may have something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What I don't get about the shopping centre is the lack of information about it in the public domain. It's not like it's a small property in the back of beyond and some multi-national pension fund or something forgot that it had it and forgot to keep the agents generating rental income. It's a *big* development. Someone has to have a plan for it.

I know DLRCoCo wanted to develop Dundrum as a retail centre (and it worked) but it was supposed to be in addition to DL itself, not to replace DL. The council must have some plan also - and this plan *presumably* has to involve dealing closely with the largest landlord in the area, occupying a large swathe of what used to be the main shopping street in the county.

I think the most likely outcome is that it will be demolished/completely rebuilt and will be closed for a number of years. It certainly seems to be heading the "1980s Temple Bar" route these days - many empty units, several small independent units, reasonably temporary development work. All in preparation for the day that the retailers move out, the builders come in, and the shutters come down. Except of course this didn't happen in Temple Bar, but that was the plan.

Hopefully when this does happen the displaced retailers will move onto the main street and bring more life to the street.

z

I heard there's an e-cigarette shop opened, anyone have any info?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I heard there's an e-cigarette shop opened, anyone have any info?

Shop is stretching it, they've taken the unit across from Tiger (used to be a clothes stall AFAIK) and have a handful of wares in a open glass unit. Any more temporary looking and they'd be selling from a suitcase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Dubray are moving into the old clothes shop (can't remember the name!) near vodafone (opposite New Look). So another top floor shop will be vacant and the small Dubray store facing onto Georges St will also be gone.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Shop is stretching it, they've taken the unit across from Tiger (used to be a clothes stall AFAIK) and have a handful of wares in a open glass unit. Any more temporary looking and they'd be selling from a suitcase!

I had a look this evening. That's pretty much all there is to an e-cig shop. A few electrical widgets and lots of bottles of juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I had a look this evening. That's pretty much all there is to an e-cig shop. A few electrical widgets and lots of bottles of juice!

I hope its not that VIP crowd

I hope its not that VIP crowd

Vaping Dog. Not heard of them before, but it looks like a standard, slightly more advanced, vaping shop selling rebranded generic gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I've noticed a bit of movement in the old TGI's on Newtown Park Avenue. Not sure what's going on though. Anyone heard anything?

Advertisement