Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I've noticed a bit of movement in the old TGI's on Newtown Park Avenue. Not sure what's going on though. Anyone heard anything?
    There were rumours that it was supposed to become a tesco express/metro a few years ago also when they be working the old supervalu in shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

stehyl15 wrote: »
    There were rumours that it was supposed to become a tesco express/metro a few years ago also when they be working the old supervalu in shankill

Got rejected at planning.

If it had closed a couple of months sooner I reckon it would have been preferred to Monkstown for Avoca. Perfect spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Vaping Dog. Not heard of them before, but it looks like a standard, slightly more advanced, vaping shop selling rebranded generic gear.

Googled them there, seem to do a range of flavours, hopefully the stall has online prices would be handy when trying new ones not having to wait for deliverys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Cooper & Young in Corrig Stores have a banner up saying All Stock Must Clear. I am assuming they are closing as it seems fairly quiet anytime I go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Cooper & Young in Corrig Stores have a banner up saying All Stock Must Clear. I am assuming they are closing as it seems fairly quiet anytime I go in.
    well that didnt last long i could see a tesco express opening there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Googled them there, seem to do a range of flavours, hopefully the stall has online prices would be handy when trying new ones not having to wait for deliverys

€5 for a 10ml bottle, €12 for three.

Has kanger protanks and heads as well as the usual CE4s etc. Much better shop than VIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

€5 for a 10ml bottle, €12 for three.

Has kanger protanks and heads as well as the usual CE4s etc. Much better shop than VIP.

Yeah was down yesterday, was able to try a range of juices which was great so picked up a few, great to have a shop within walking distance for me

stehyl15 wrote: »
    well that didnt last long i could see a tesco express opening there

Was a shockingly bad idea opening there! They must have spent a fortune on renovating it.. Almost everything was extortionately overpriced and the selection was random at best..

Will never understand why people insist on opening in locations where similar business have failed repeatedly. I know they were a bit more upmarket than the previous shops but still..

That is assuming they are closing...

Think it may be just a wine sale after all that. It's not very clear.. :o

Yummy Noodle Box has opened. Used to be Super Wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

There were plans to redevelop Frascati at the end of the Tiger era, but obviously that never happened...
    Well, coincidentally enough plans have been lodged this month for a major redevelopment of Frascati. Not clear what the timing will be. Interesting considering M&S have just revamped their store, adding a new cafe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/50m-frascati-revamp-1.1754478

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That looks like a very modern transformation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looks like work has started on Shankill shopping Centre.

2 site office in the car park and parts of it fenced off.

it'll be interesting to see which of the brands they use.

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Bilaro-Limited-514333
    The two directors of the company who applied for planning are involved with the VP group

http://www.vilniausprekyba.eu/controlled-enterprises/64

and they also bought the supersol group in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

ted1 wrote: »
    looks like work has started on Shankill shopping Centre.

2 site office in the car park and parts of it fenced off.

it'll be interesting to see which of the brands they use.

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Bilaro-Limited-514333
    The two directors of the company who applied for planning are involved with the VP group

http://www.vilniausprekyba.eu/controlled-enterprises/64

and they also bought the supersol group in Spain.

its about time something was done there the place is getting very rundown

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I feel sorry for them......they did a great refit on that place, but obviously didn't do much research on the previous failures there.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I went to get something in Cooper and Young at 5:30pm yesterday and the shop was closed. No sign or anything up outside but it's not looking good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another Starbucks opening on Marine Road in DL. The other one is within frothing distance, seems a bit odd to put them almost side by side.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Another Starbucks opening on Marine Road in DL. The other one is within frothing distance, seems a bit odd to put them almost side by side.

Where?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two doors up from the Centra, in/outside the shopping centre. There used to be a small bakery shop there.

Two doors up from the Centra, in/outside the shopping centre. There used to be a small bakery shop there.

Good location. It's a bit overkill though, three large coffee shops in the space of 100metres.

Starbucks are bonkers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a shame, I remember London and Edinburgh when the blight of Starbucks started, generic rubbish. They really can afford to subsidise losses in some outlets for the sake of squeezing out competition, as the dogs on the street would tell them the market is well covered.

If you count the Pavillion outlets its closer to 5 or 6 coffee shops in about 150 metres which is frankly daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Starbucks opening up is hardly a shame. Is it not a sign of confidence in DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aard wrote: »
    I presume the shame is that the smaller independent cafes might now end up closing down.

Which begs the question, which independent sells the best coffee in DL?

Which begs the question, which independent sells the best coffee in DL?

The little Italian place next to Jim's barber shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'd agree with FF. La Docle Italia is the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aard wrote: »

Its a shame, tasteless soulless generic coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

rubadub wrote: »
    I presume the shame is that the smaller independent cafes might now end up closing down.

Sadly I think this is mainly their aim.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Sadly I think this is mainly their aim.

They tried it in Dalkey and failed spectacularly. The trouble is, I suspect there is more loyalty in Dalkey than Dun Laoghaire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They tried it in Dalkey and failed spectacularly. The trouble is, I suspect there is more loyalty in Dalkey than Dun Laoghaire.

Dalkey really is a great little town in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This explains it nicely
    http://www.herald.ie/news/wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee-starbucks-rivals-27885445.html
    GERALDINE GITTENS – 15 SEPTEMBER 2008 10:50 AM

COFFEE giant Starbucks is opening its newest store in Dalkey village but residents say the new venture will not be a success.

The chain will be opening in the village at the end of this month but cafe and restaurant owners are not holding their breaths that it will steal any of their competition.

"I think they'll be out of business within a year," says the manager of one of Castle Street's restaurants, near to where the new store will open.

"I don't see them doing enough business for the size of the building. I don't think they'll sell the amount of coffee they need to," she added.

Ireland's latest Starbucks store will open at 31 Castle Street, which is one of Dalkey's protected buildings.

Residents have been up in arms about the prospect of the first multi-national company taking over the listed building, and were insisting that the company adapt its image to suit the heritage town.

A Bebo site was set up in protest of the opening.

The planning application was originally dismissed by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. Under current regulations, shop fronts in the area should also be complementary to the surrounding buildings with hand-painted signs encouraged.

"Starbucks is great for a busier town but not Dalkey. It's more of a heritage town," the restaurant manager said.

"It's not a personable type of place, it's like a McDonald's. The people living here go for something more personable.

"Every place you go into here, the owner is on the premises," she added.

Mark McLaughlin, manager of In cafe-bar also thinks that Starbucks won't survive in the village.

"The cafes in Dalkey have their following, and locals go into them. Everyone goes to where they know here."

"I don't think it will affect us one way or the other."

Meanwhile Labour County Councillor Jane Dillon Byrne says "it's a shot" for Starbucks and is sceptical about how they'll do in a village like Dalkey.

"The building was originally the Eastern Health Board clinic so it's an established building of the village of Dalkey," she said.

However, the councillor is content that the historical character of the building will be preserved, despite the move-in of Starbucks.

Ms Dillon Byrne is sceptical about the coffee chain's future in the Co Dublin village.

"It's a big enough company to weather its time in Dalkey"

However, the councillor added: "There's a lot of loyalty in Dalkey to the people who are there already."

Advertisement