Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Which begs the question, which independent sells the best coffee in DL?

http://www.yelp.ie/map/leonardo-caf%C3%A9-dun-laoghaire

Really top quality place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jim's barber shop.
    Is Jim still working there? he must be in his 70's now, and is he still running out the door after people?!

I always remember people would stick their head in, see it was totally packed with no seats and he would run out after them going "come back, there's only 1 of them getting their hair cut", I knew lads that would do it just to get a rise out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

ted1 wrote: »
    Its a shame, tasteless soulless generic coffee shops.

...that many people seem more than happy to frequent. Plus it means increased economic activity for an otherwise depressed Dún Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

rubadub wrote: »
    Is Jim still working there? he must be in his 70's now, and is he still running out the door after people?!

I always remember people would stick their head in, see it was totally packed with no seats and he would run out after them going "come back, there's only 1 of them getting their hair cut", I knew lads that would do it just to get a rise out of him.

I'm not sure, haven't been to him in years. Bloomfield barbers is my preferred shearing shop. He is a character though.

Apparently he was robbed quite badly a while back, two scum bags jumped him as he was locking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aard wrote: »
    ...that many people seem more than happy to frequent. Plus it means increased economic activity for an otherwise depressed Dún Laoghaire.

Not my cup of tea and I think it takes standardised and high street clones take away from places and remove any incentive for people to journey there and spend their cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ted1 wrote: »
    Not my cup of tea and I think it takes standardised and high street clones take away from places and remove any incentive for people to journey there and spend their cash
    The standard of coffee is debatable and the cleanliness in their stores is often an issue for me. But considering that the outlets on Blackrock Main St and in Stillorgan SC appear to be among the busiest businesses in those areas, I wouldn't say they remove incentives for people to visit. Like it or not, they probably draw people to those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aard wrote: »

Not enough to write home about, and the profit (if any) from which is exported.

Local loyalty was mentioned earlier, despite perceptions I think people are loyal to small and local traders in the area. I only work out of Dun Laoghaire but for supplies and refreshments I would always choose local, homemade or small traders over multiples. They are certainly cheaper for coffee!

Incidentally, JJ Darboven tea/coffee wholesaler and retailer are moving their shop from down past Argos to the old Irish Nationwide outlet on the corner of Convent Road and the Main Street, looks set to open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not enough to write home about, and the profit (if any) from which is exported.

I literally wrote here about it three pages ago, it was nice to See it full on a Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Unusually enough, the Starbucks on the Canal down beside Baggot Street closed in the last week. First Starbucks I've seen closing so far

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Synode wrote: »
    Unusually enough, the Starbucks on the Canal down beside Baggot Street closed in the last week. First Starbucks I've seen closing so far

Starbucks Dalkey closed down, so did the place that replaced it. so did Inn, the manager is quoted in the above paper article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Don't know if anyone posted this already but, I was in Llidl in Nutgrove Retail Park yesterday and saw sign that pet shop will be opening soon.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I literally wrote here about it three pages ago, it was nice to See it full on a Sunday evening.

Ive no problem with the social activity, my point is to have two outlets of the same chain within 110m of each other cannot be very profitable, meaning even less revenue stays in the country and the local competition gets squeezed, so overall its detrimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Synode wrote: »
    They've just opened a new Starbucks around the corner near the Waterloo Road/Baggot Street junction, so that's probably a factor.

A few Starbucks outlets have closed or moved. The Ranelagh Starbucks didn't last long, with so much local competition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is pleased to announce that Fallon & Byrne have been awarded the tender to operate the soon to re-open Tea Rooms in the People’s Park Dún Laoghaire.

The original Pavilion building that now houses the Tea Rooms is currently undergoing renovation works that are due to complete this summer. A lightweight glass structure is being added to provide a generous and sunny dining space while a new kitchen, bar and toilets are also being constructed. The stone terrace is being enlarged for outdoor dining and access to the roof terrace will be reinstated via the original metal staircases.

The works form part of a larger plan for the People’s Park which aims to restore the park to its original historic layout while also introducing sensitive contemporary interventions to meet 21st Century needs.

Speaking of the announcement, An Cathaoirleach, Cllr Carrie Smyth said: “I am truly delighted with the news that Fallon & Byrne, who have an international reputation as one of the premier culinary destinations of Dublin City Centre will open its first restaurant outside of the City in Dún Laoghaire this summer. I believe the Fallon & Byrne brand will compliment and strengthen the offering of Dún Laoghaire for locals and visitors alike and will provide a significant boost to the town.”

Fiona McHugh, Owner of Fallon & Byrne added: "We are absolutely thrilled to have been awarded the tender to operate the restaurant in the People's Park Pavilion. It's a great honour to become custodians of such a uniquely beautiful and historic building and we very much look forward to creating a restaurant worthy of the setting. We hope to create an elegant but relaxed dining experience centred on fresh seasonal food that will, we believe, be a great fit for both the Pavilion and the local area."

https://www.facebook.com/DunLaoghaireRathdownCountyCouncil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Great news about Fallon & Byrne for the PP.

I really hope the toilets will be kept cleaner in the Peoples Park, they seriously lack. No need for this. A good power hosing and a thorough clean would help. Slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Daybreak convenience store opened up on Georges St DL where Jewel in the Crown used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Daybreak convenience store opened up on Georges St DL where Jewel in the Crown used to be

Is that across from Alex's? If so there is very little need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yes - exactly. Can't see it doing much business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Jewel in the Crown is still there, they've just moved upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

IMG_20140418_213756x.jpg

Like a coffee coloured fungus..

Another S******ks, can you guess where.. (Dún Laoghaire shopping centre side entrace) such an odd location. So close to the other branch, more or less diagonally across the road, within sight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

The wardrobe man opened up in deansgrange beside insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Amalgam wrote: »
    IMG_20140418_213756x.jpg

Like a coffee coloured fungus..

Another S******ks, can you guess where.. (Dún Laoghaire shopping centre side entrace) such an odd location. So close to the other branch, more or less diagonally across the road, within sight!

I couldn't for the life of me see the appeal of sitting at a table outside that shop with the crowds that the bus stop brings right in front of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I just keep thinking of that episode of The Simpsons where Bart went into the mall and every shop was a Starbucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

simpsons_starbucks.jpg

I couldn't for the life of me see the appeal of sitting at a table outside that shop with the crowds that the bus stop brings right in front of it

That unit was the public toilets for the town centre until 10 years ago, certainly never intended to be a boulevard café. Looks ridiculous where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

The standard of coffee is debatable and the cleanliness in their stores is often an issue for me. But considering that the outlets on Blackrock Main St and in Stillorgan SC appear to be among the busiest businesses in those areas, I wouldn't say they remove incentives for people to visit. Like it or not, they probably draw people to those areas.

Both have been excellent draws for their respective areas. If anything the one in Blackrock has led to more compeititon with some places upping their game and some newish additions - such as Bear Market.

As regards the one in DL, terrible location. However any shop in there would not look great, it's a horrible looking shopping centre. The only nice part of it was the extension around by where Mark's Models is/was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

God soon there'll be as many starbucks shops as spars or centras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

They literally turned those two units around in 3/4 weeks. Astonishing!

I'm not really a coffee drinker so I don't know what the big deal is about Starbucks.. If it was McDonalds or something I could understand.. Dún Laoghaire should be glad of anything it gets imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone know what they are building on the entrance to carrickmimes? Big Steele frame up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Anyone know what they are building on the entrance to carrickmimes? Big Steele frame up.

There was talk of a drive through KFC going up there, could be it.

Advertisement