Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dubrays have finally moved.

They've moved to wear O'Connor's Jeans used to be beside Specsavers on the middle floor of the Shopping Centre.

The shop itself isn't that big :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

uch wrote: »
    Lads you can quote any figures you like, but as it stands, empty fields employ nobody. I couldn't give a rats about IKEA, just stating that the Jobs would be welcome.

I'd have hoped that if the building frenzy of the early 2000s taught us anything it would be to move away from short-termist planning decisions. Empty fields employ nobody now, but a well-planned town will employ much more in the long term than a variation to allow a gigantic retail warehouse. Sustainable planning over reactionary planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dubrays have finally moved.

They've moved to wear O'Connor's Jeans used to be beside Specsavers on the middle floor of the Shopping Centre.

The shop itself isn't that big :(
    personally i think its about time they just bulldozed dun laoghaire shopping centre

Aard wrote: »
    I'd have hoped that if the building frenzy of the early 2000s taught us anything it would be to move away from short-termist planning decisions. Empty fields employ nobody now, but a well-planned town will employ much more in the long term than a variation to allow a gigantic retail warehouse. Sustainable planning over reactionary planning.

Ikea isint an irish company it dosent receive a huge grant from the state to build a shop its not going to put us broke

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Ikea isint an irish company it dosent receive a huge grant from the state to build a shop its not going to put us broke

I'm afraid you've misinterpreted my objection to the proposed variation to the Cherrywood SDZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Sign up saying KFC will open on May 6th and it looks like McDonalds is near opening. They are beside each other and both 'drive-thru's' and alongside the existing Costa Coffee.

Nearer to the main road is the start of a new unit advertised as being for Power City... maybe ready for christmas season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Sign up saying KFC will open on May 6th and it looks like McDonalds is near opening. They are beside each other and both 'drive-thru's' and alongside the existing Cafe Nero.

I think you mean Costa Coffee. Anyway, I've seen the McDonalds and KFC drive throughs so far. They're pretty cool looking but, a bit tightly packed into the space they are being built on.
    Nearer to the main road is the start of a new unit advertised as being for Power City... maybe ready for christmas season?

That should be interesting considering that there will be stiff competition between it and the nearby PC World, Currys and Harvey Norman units.

There's an advertisement outside Costa Coffee in Carrickmines for vacancies in their upcoming branch in Park Pointe (formerly part of the south-west flank of Dun Laoghaire Golf Club). On that note, Tesco and Boots are now open in Park Pointe. There are still one or two vacant retail units. I think one of them should be used for either a computer accessories store or a Mexican Restaurant and/or Take-away. Both are in extremely short supply in areas of the burrough that are within a two mile radius of the coast.

I've seen the current plans for the proposal on the former Deerhunter site and I have mixed views on it. Another Lidl would be overkill due to the fact that there are two very nearby (one down the road from Mackintosh Park and the other in Deansgrange). Maybe an Aldi would suffice given that it is a competing store with different products by and large. I think PC world or a similar dedicated computer store is badly needed near the coast. I'm not too sure what to think about the restaurant units that are also part of the proposal. The plan indicates that one of them will be a drive through not too dissimilar to those being built in Carrickmines. I don't know the purpose of the other unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Power City in Sallynoggin is closing to make way for the Carrickmines outlet, which I think is a pity, a large boarded up site there is not what that area needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Power City in Sallynoggin is closing to make way for the Carrickmines outlet, which I think is a pity, a large boarded up site there is not what that area needs.

i think the powercity site in sallynoggin and old coal yard at the back were looking for planning
    for apartments a few years ago

the londis shop beside powercity in sallynoggin closed a few weeks ago

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »

Hopefully if the deerhunter site fails they use their heads and put the aldi and other shops there instead

mano bano wrote: »
    the londis shop beside powercity in sallynoggin closed a few weeks ago

Not a surprise it was quite a dirty shop and it closed at about 8 oclock in the evening while most other convience shops were open till 10 or 11 id say the centra at the roundabout and the new tesco opening probably had a part to play

your right it used to close early the post office is still in the empty shop

mano bano wrote: »
    your right it used to close early the post office is still in the empty shop

Is it still open

yes post office still open

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hopefully if the deerhunter site fails they use their heads and put the aldi and other shops there instead

The site across the road is perfect for Aldi.
    Personally from my experience fitting out properties power city beats Harvey Norman / PC worked / currys every time. The only olace they lose is I marketing and online presence if they are to improve them the others would be bust fast. They have better prices and customer service.

I think one of them should be used for either a computer accessories store or a Mexican Restaurant and/or Take-away.
    You could sell out the laughter lounge. The mark up on hardware is like 5 % and it couldn't compete with the likes of pcworld etc in carrickmines. And Mexican places are a fad like smoothies, crepes etc, no longevity.

A takeaway is a decent bet though. One of those fancy takeaways like Diep at Home or Mao would probably fit in.

Aard wrote: »
    A takeaway is a decent bet though. One of those fancy takeaways like Diep at Home or Mao would probably fit in.

Or a subway would do quite well

Matt Britton Carpets opened in deansgrange beside libros where the chemist used to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Another new e-cigarette shop opening up on Georges St (the part near Sherry Fitz)

Another new e-cigarette shop opening up on Georges St (the part near Sherry Fitz)

Is an e-cigarette shop really nessiscary they sell them in every corner shop and petrol station

Is an e-cigarette shop really nessiscary they sell them in every corner shop and petrol station

They have practically Zero fit out charge. More like a pop up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So one minute there is moaning about empty shops and then there is quibbles over the types of shops that open.

If anyone has any bright ideas of what shops should and should not open (except Headshops) than off you go.

Shopping as we know it, is over. OVER. There is a myriad of reasons that has brought this transition about. Drive in Giant Shopping Centers being one.

Rezone the empty shops to housing; and in the interim the vacant shops should be made keep their shopfronts clean. Somebody owns these decrepit redundant buildings.

Who would want to open a business beside a bird sh**, littered, manky shop facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The ecigs they sell in shops and garages are pretty much crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Any idea what shop it is?

Any idea what shop it is?
    like a spar/centra/londis type shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

ted1 wrote: »
    You could sell out the laughter lounge.

Thanks Dougal!:rolleyes:
    The mark up on hardware is like 5 % and it couldn't compete with the likes of pcworld etc in carrickmines.

Where did you get that figure?
    And Mexican places are a fad like smoothies, crepes etc, no longevity.

Burritos and Blues on Aungier Street and Sabburitos on North Earl Street have been open for at least two years. El Porco Loco in Stillorgan is also doing phenomenally well. As for the observation of smoothies and crepes, I frequently see people buying them. So, a fad, they ain't.

I think more diversity is needed on the whole restaurant front aside from Indian, Chinese, Thai and Japanese cuisine. I don't need to mention Italian or French cuisine as they are already well established in the burrough and the country in general. However, if you scour through Blackrock, Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove/Glasthule, Dalkey, Killiney or Shankill, no Mexican restaurants/take-aways can be found. This also goes for Cabinteely, Deansgrange, Cornelscourt and Foxrock. That's a whole lot of area where I believe there is a huge gap in the market. Park Pointe would be a good place to start given that it is highly accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

El Porco Loco in Stillorgan is also doing phenomenally well. As for the observation of smoothies and crepes, I frequently see people buying them. So, a fad, they ain't.

I was looking at their menu the other day. It sounds decent enough - have you tried it?

• Advertisement

Tried it once, wasn't great. Granted, there aren't many options in South Dublin for burritos.

Advertisement