Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

DLRCC has refused planning permission for the former Deerhunter site in Sallynoggin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Boston barbers opened in dl shopping centre where zumo used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Aard wrote: »
    Tried it once, wasn't great. Granted, there aren't many options in South Dublin for burritos.

Tried it once myself. Nothing special at all, I dont know what the hype is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mano bano wrote: »
    DLRCC has refused planning permission for the former Deerhunter site in Sallynoggin

What was the reason giving?
    I don't think that they had anchor tenants and that the development was being driven by the recievir so I'm not too sure that they'll push it to hard again.

Just read the reason.
    http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D14A/0113&FromResultID=&FromSortKey=&FromStartIndex=&theTabNo=5&presTypeLetter=R&presCode=M1&presLang=1

First reason is, it just looks plan awful and has no archetictual merit.
    The playground is to dangerous as its beside the road, and the land is due to be taken fir road widening. It reads like there was no thought put in to it and the plans were thrown together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Boston barbers opened in dl shopping centre where zumo used to be

Another barbers in Dun Laoghaire? What's that, seventeen now? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Another barbers in Dun Laoghaire? What's that, seventeen now? :rolleyes:

Dun Laoghaire must be the testosterone zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I was looking at their menu the other day. It sounds decent enough - have you tried it?

Yeah, twice and it was delicious. I'd highly recommend it for hard core burrito fans. The second time around my digestive system was not so forgiving! :D

I had forgotten how spicy habanero salsa was!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Glad they arent going to accept any old rubbish being built on the Deerhunter site, just for the sake of filling it with something. Ive seen it happen on jobs around the country. Its a landmark site, and even if its just retail and restaurant it should be attractive and appropriate.

Was in the new Tesco at Park Pointe, smaller than I expected but a better prospect than convenience store prices. Looking at it close up, the design is disappointing and obtrusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

What size is the Tesco in Park Pointe? Is it an Extra/Express/normal sized one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chinasea wrote: »
    So one minute there is moaning about empty shops and then there is quibbles over the types of shops that open.

If anyone has any bright ideas of what shops should and should not open (except Headshops) than off you go.
    I would put E-cig shops in the same group as "headshops" they are shops selling unregulated recreational drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

rubadub wrote: »
    I would put E-cig shops in the same group as "headshops" they are shops selling unregulated recreational drugs.

Regulation is coming in though and most sellers will already adhere to these.

They don't sell alternative ways to get off your box, they supply a less harmful alternative to smoking. I was at the one on DL shopping centre on Saturday and the juice is all well labeled, in childproof bottles and very good. I also saw him check someone's id to ensure they were 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    What size is the Tesco in Park Pointe? Is it an Extra/Express/normal sized one?

I think it's a Metro, which is between an express and a full store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

rubadub wrote: »

My point was that it was the busiest shop, hands down in Dun Laoghaire - no sign of a recession running through their tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The new e-cig shop is number 48 beside Beauty Time.

I agree largely with most of your post in that the plans were very slapdash. I'm not too sure if I would have called it awful. However, it was just a tad all over the place.
    ted1 wrote: »

I read the reason too. However, the last part regarding the "Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets (DMURS)" is absolute nonsense. It claims that a 23 meter setback from the road is inappropriate. Having read the DMURS myself, the motivations to restrict the distance between a building and the tarmac (e.g sense of place/enclosure, active road edges and creating [unnecessary] need for caution among motorists) is incredibly left-wing. The DMURS should be taken with a pinch of salt as using it as an excuse to refuse planning permission is making it something of an obstacle to job creation. It's cousin, the 'Smarter Travel – A Sustainable Transport Future 2009-2020' document was used as an excuse to block a larger scale development in Carrickmines on existing wasteland which many of the locals actually favoured. Here is the planning application and here is the reason it was refused. To cut a long story short, no job creation should be blocked because of some anti-car document.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im sure glad youre not in my profession Patrick. It was nonsense arguments like job creation trumps all sustainable and ethical planning that contributed heavily to the disaster the country still finds itself in. Developers and vested interests used it coercivelly all over the country, and what principled town planner could win against that. The finest example of the parish pump and gombeenism in action.

The truth is you can have jobs AND proper design AND sustainable land use if lazy proposals are challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Excellent post, Larbre34. You succinctly put what I was struggling to!

"Job creation" should never be the primary reason for a grant of permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That space at the deer hunter side has bags of potential, I just hope something nice goes there. With powercity closing that particular area of Sallynoggin is going to start looking a little bleaker, so a bright park or some sort of local amenity would be huge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If something does open at the Deerhunter the roads in the area (particularly by Woodies and Power City will need to be redone (though it looks like they are working on that in sections at the moment)) and I don't know what to do about that roundabout. It gets very busy at the moment and isn't helped by people not driving properly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

errlloyd wrote: »
    With powercity closing that particular area of Sallynoggin is going to start looking a little bleaker, so a bright park or some sort of local amenity would be huge.

Powercity is closing??? Goddamnit that's a right shocker :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If something does open at the Deerhunter the roads in the area (particularly by Woodies and Power City will need to be redone (though it looks like they are working on that in sections at the moment)) and I don't know what to do about that roundabout. It gets very busy at the moment and isn't helped by people not driving properly on it.

They are being redone it was part of the reason for the refusal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Powercity is closing??? Goddamnit that's a right shocker :(

Theyre not closing theyre moving to carrickmines

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Im sure glad youre not in my profession Patrick.

What profession is that Larbre34?
    It was nonsense arguments like job creation trumps all sustainable and ethical planning that contributed heavily to the disaster the country still finds itself in.

While there is a lot of truth in that comment, I personally thought that the over-supply of residential units played a huge part in the crisis. This is because there wasn't enough people to occupy those units or potential buyers didn't have the income to be able to occupy them. As such, it was unsustainable. With that said, I think rezoning some of them for commercial development could have been carried out to create long term jobs. In turn, those who would take up job vacancies might be able to occupy the remaining residential units if the correct balance was achieved.
    Developers and vested interests used it coercivelly all over the country, and what principled town planner could win against that.

And you are completely right about this. An unregulated banking system left it way too open to property developers to spend vast sums of money on mass residential development albeit, on a loan basis. Consequently, supply ended up exceeding demand many times over. The end result was loans that couldn't be payed back. When the bubble burst, many of the big players in this unsustainable monopoly game (e.g banking officials, property developers etc.) jumped ship leaving the working and middle-classes to pick up the pieces which is the ultimate mark of corrupt cowards.
    The finest example of the parish pump and gombeenism in action.

If I'm inferring correctly, that is a brilliant analogy to the whole church farce where they tried to cover up the deplorable acts of some cowardly members of the clergy.
    The truth is you can have jobs AND proper design AND sustainable land use if lazy proposals are challenged.

On to this part of the comment. In planning, I think many factors should be considered when developing either commercial or residential property. It all boils down to statistics. If a certain number of residential units are build in a given amount of land, there needs to be a relation to the amount of jobs that are created from commercial development in the same catchment. The desired result is that there will be enough people employed to fill the residential units i.e. through mortgages and other payments. Ergo, supply and demand are in sync with each other. Provided that the demand is there for commercial development either from domestic consumption or a service such as a multinational company basing their headquarters within the development, it should work.

While I referred to the "DMURS" and "Smarter Travel – A Sustainable Transport Future 2009-2020" documents, that is off the current topic. Nevertheless, when it comes to planning, I do think it is nitpicking at it's finest. Incidentally, there are large parts of both documents that I do agree with as sustainable travel including better public transport provision and cycling should be encouraged. However, when it comes to the downgrade and deliberate inconveniencing of some road users by packing them into tighter spaces, then I am against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Had my first experience of Tesco Metro last night.. Seems to be priced similar to their bigger stores and a good selection. I expected it to be smaller.

Generally shop in Supervalu in Dalkey but this is a good alternative at night.

ted1 wrote: »
    You could sell out the laughter lounge. The mark up on hardware is like 5 % and it couldn't compete with the likes of pcworld etc in carrickmines. And Mexican places are a fad like smoothies, crepes etc, no longevity.

5%??? Where did you get that figure from?

I am an online retailer in a similar area and PC World are the least of my worries. If I was making the mark up that PC World do I would be on my way to be being retired by 35. They are ridiculously overpriced for almost everything (besides the odd special offer they may run) and other than their marketing and debatable reputation I could compete with them on price any day of the week.

PC World/Curry's, Harvey Norman, Tesco place big margins on everything they sell including IT equipment. Being bigger more often than not means dearer where IT stuff is concerned.

Online is their competition. They cater to non tech savvy people, those in a rush or those who wish to buy from a bricks and mortar store.

There is plenty of business out there in the right location though.

Also the Mexican food being a fad thing.. Equally ludicrous if you ask me.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I was nearly taken out by an elderly gent with no functioning indicators at this roundabout yesterday. I was in the inside lane coming from Dalkey, started to indicate left after the first exit and he (no indication, right hand lane from Dalkey) almost drove over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I read the reason too. However, the last part regarding the "Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets (DMURS)" is absolute nonsense. It claims that a 23 meter setback from the road is inappropriate. Having read the DMURS myself, the motivations to restrict the distance between a building and the tarmac (e.g sense of place/enclosure, active road edges and creating [unnecessary] need for caution among motorists) is incredibly left-wing. The DMURS should be taken with a pinch of salt as using it as an excuse to refuse planning permission is making it something of an obstacle to job creation. It's cousin, the 'Smarter Travel – A Sustainable Transport Future 2009-2020' document was used as an excuse to block a larger scale development in Carrickmines on existing wasteland which many of the locals actually favoured. Here is the planning application and here is the reason it was refused. To cut a long story short, no job creation should be blocked because of some anti-car document.

It may have been a typo, but the DMURS issue was about a lack of a 2.4m setback, not a 24m setback - big difference. DMURS is NOT a barrier to job creation. Bad planning is a barrier to job creation. Planners/developers who think they can stick whatever they like into the space available regardless of the impact on the community around them are a barrier to job creation.

With that said, I think rezoning some of them for commercial development could have been carried out to create long term jobs. In turn, those who would take up job vacancies might be able to occupy the remaining residential units if the correct balance was achieved.
    [/SIZE]
    Rezoning doesn't create jobs. Rezoning creates space. Big difference.
    While I referred to the "DMURS" and "Smarter Travel – A Sustainable Transport Future 2009-2020" documents, that is off the current topic. Nevertheless, when it comes to planning, I do think it is nitpicking at it's finest. Incidentally, there are large parts of both documents that I do agree with as sustainable travel including better public transport provision and cycling should be encouraged. However, when it comes to the downgrade and deliberate inconveniencing of some road users by packing them into tighter spaces, then I am against it.

All the evidence on which DMURS is based shows that businesses thrive when external spaces give priority to pedestrians and cyclists over cars. DMURS is a pro-business guidance, and is mandatory according to Dept Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Anyway, back to the thread topic. The Boots pharmacy in Frascati Blackrock is nearly open (opposite a Lloyds pharmacy), and M&S have opened a new cafe in the centre too. Meanwhile the new Wetherspoon's pub is being renovated and the hoardings say it'll open during the Summer.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. The Boots pharmacy in Frascati Blackrock is nearly open (opposite a Lloyds pharmacy), and M&S have opened a new cafe in the centre too. Meanwhile the new Wetherspoon's pub is being renovated and the hoardings say it'll open during the Summer.

Oooh. Is it a proper pharmacy with a pharmacist to dispense medication or just a retail outlet for cosmetics etc like their Dundrum store?

• Advertisement

Seems like any independent or smaller pharmacy chain is almost guaranteed to have a Boots on their doorstep at this point! The Park Pointe one is pretty close to Mounttown Road and Monkstown Farm.

I quite like using Boots as they tend not to give you the third degree every time you ask for a box of paracetamol.. Some of them really over do it to a point that it's off putting as a customer.

Advertisement