Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

RainyDay wrote: »
    It may have been a typo, but the DMURS issue was about a lack of a 2.4m setback, not a 24m setback - big difference.

I probably misunderstood the statement within their reasoning. I thought they were objecting to the fact the actual buildings themselves were not close enough to the road to constitute a sense of enclosure.
    DMURS is NOT a barrier to job creation. Bad planning is a barrier to job creation.

I won't argue with the second half of that point. In fact, I do favour pedestrianization of shopping streets and that's based largely on the huge success of Grafton and Henry Streets. However, I do think that better transport infrastructure provision in the vicinity is needed for easy access by bus, bicycle, car and HGVs.
    Planners/developers who think they can stick whatever they like into the space available regardless of the impact on the community around them are a barrier to job creation.

While this statement isn't entirely true, I do agree for the most part. For instance, the decision to grant permission to The Laurels and Castle Mews on Dalkey Avenue was nothing short of daft. This particular stretch was already well hemmed in by houses as it was before both developments went ahead. Castle Mews is a monstrosity and was inappropriately placed. The Laurels were literally built on top of the railway line and don't have any grounds to speak of. Both developments have made it next to impossible for even modest road widening to Dalkey Avenue which, in my opinion, should have been planned 20 years ago in response to the existence of Fitzpatrick's Castle Hotel. A close third is Castlepark Court opposite Centra in Barnhill Stores. Basically, all three were built right on top of roads that are already too narrow. Castlepark Residence (where Mackey's used to be) was properly planned with plenty of space between it and the road.

Before I come across as a bit of a NIMBY, I don't mind modern developments springing up locally. However, I do think a common sense approach to planning should be adopted. For example, land should have been reserved along a strategic path between the bottom of Dalkey Avenue and Churchview Road, Killiney. The desired result would be that a QBC could eventually be built to take in the catchments surrounding Fitzpatricks Castle, Wyverne and Killiney Gold Club. Ergo, Dalkey would no longer be the end of the line, but, a though-flow with greater footfall. This is hard to fathom now given the bad planning legacy over the last 30 to 40 years. However, places like Rochestown Avenue and Monkstown Avenue are examples were land still remains reserved for future road widening.
    Rezoning doesn't create jobs. Rezoning creates space. Big difference.

There's no need to be so hostile with statements like "Big difference". Suffice to say that for every X amount of residential units, there should be Y amount of commercial units to create a self sustaining community in which people live AND work. I was merely saying that in a situation where there is over supply of X and little to no supply of Y, rezone some of X into Y to create more of a balance.
    All the evidence on which DMURS is based shows that businesses thrive when external spaces give priority to pedestrians and cyclists over cars. DMURS is a pro-business guidance, and is mandatory according to Dept Transport.

As mentioned above, I think pedestrianization of thoroughfares is a good idea provided that it is served by a decent network of surrounding distributor roads. For example, I think the stretch of Dun Laoghaire between Bloomfields and the main Shopping Center could be pedestrianized as long as George's Street Upper, Marine Road, Queen's Road and Park Road were reconfigured into a mass one-way system. Park Road would have to switch direction to carry the 7, 111 and 45A routes back on their south-westerly direction of travel. The 7, 46A, 75 and 63 bus routes would operate along Crofton Road when going north and Harbour Road going south. The left over space ( of which would be a lot) would be reconstituted for the installation of proper segregated cycle tracks as well as better pedestrian facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Seems like any independent or smaller pharmacy chain is almost guaranteed to have a Boots on their doorstep at this point! The Park Pointe one is pretty close to Mounttown Road and Monkstown Farm.

I quite like using Boots as they tend not to give you the third degree every time you ask for a box of paracetamol.. Some of them really over do it to a point that it's off putting as a customer.
    True, although Lloyds is part of a large international group too. Whatever about anything else, Blackrock certainly isn't short of pharmacies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aldi, in their own name, have applied for planning permission for a store on the White & Delahunty garage site on Pearse Street in Sallynoggin. Usual 'store in a box' spec and 85 car spaces.

Interesting given the speculation around the Deerhunter site and the pending closure of Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Aldi, in their own name, have applied for planning permission for a store on the White & Delahunty garage site on Pearse Street in Sallynoggin. Usual 'store in a box' spec and 85 car spaces.

Interesting given the speculation around the Deerhunter site and the pending closure of Power City.

Very close to LIDL on pottery road that is also struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Can we all PM mhge to let them know of this, they'll be delighted with the news :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Can we all PM mhge to let them know of this, they'll be delighted with the news :D

Got it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

see my post from a few days back

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90168625&postcount=882

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gbrbrawn

Not technically a business but the new CBC school building finally opened!

The Junior school is staying open too, I know there's been problems for locals in finding space in local schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Had lunch in a new cafe in Cherrywood today. It's between Ben Dunne and Subway.
    Nice to see more of those empty buildings being used.

fjon wrote: »
    Had lunch in a new cafe in Cherrywood today. It's between Ben Dunne and Subway.
    Nice to see more of those empty buildings being used.

Shame if closes so early. I think it closes at 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Noticed this tweeted by @ouzosdublin:

"The English coffee shop chain Caffe Nero have applied for planning to open in Dalkey. Do we really need another coffee shop in Dalkey?"

There are already 6 coffee shops. These are Mugs, The Corner Note Cafe, Idle Wild, The Country Bake (sort of,but more of a deli), Select Stores (again, it's not entirely a cafe) and The Tram Yard Cafe. The pubs also double as cafes given that they also provide the standard selection of coffees. In this particular instance, Caffe Nero might be overkill.

I've seen the planning application for it including the plans, elevations and sub-sections and appears to be compliant with the Architectural Conservation (ACA) guidelines. Yet, it's still being treated with the same level of hostility as Starbucks according to the objections listed here. Some of the reasons included the fact that it is a multinational company and that Dalkey should remain a place mainly for the locals. This is pigeon holing at it's finest and it just goes to show how anal we, as a nation are when it comes to planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

McDonalds and KFC both now open at The Park, McDonalds is trading 24/7!

CelticCub wrote: »
    McDonalds and KFC both now open at The Park, McDonalds is trading 24/7!

Munchiestastic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There are already 6 coffee shops. These are Mugs, The Corner Note Cafe, Idle Wild, The Country Bake (sort of,but more of a deli), Select Stores (again, it's not entirely a cafe) and The Tram Yard Cafe. The pubs also double as cafes given that they also provide the standard selection of coffees. In this particular instance, Caffe Nero might be overkill.

I've seen the planning application for it including the plans, elevations and sub-sections and appears to be compliant with the Architectural Conservation (ACA) guidelines. Yet, it's still being treated with the same level of hostility as Starbucks according to the objections listed here. Some of the reasons included the fact that it is a multinational company and that Dalkey should remain a place mainly for the locals. This is pigeon holing at it's finest and it just goes to show how anal we, as a nation are when it comes to planning.

What a joke. I have put one of the objectors addresses into Google street view from the "we don't want no queer folk in our town" and had to just sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Did an objector actually put "we don't want no queer folk in our town" in his submission?! Where's that in the development plan I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Not quite, more like we don't want an English shop...same ugly sentiment, as ugly even as his very unkempt front garden.

Our national relationship with Planning is as ambiguous as it is with alcohol.

The majority of the objectors to the Nero outlet are in the same trade, by their own admission. I won't hold trying to protect their business against them, but the planning designations are not so specific as to allow refusal on the basis of a specific use as a coffee shop over any other type of eatery so they are wasting their time in my opinion.

They are seeking an anal planning system to protect them, yet if the same planning system stood in their way of developing their own places at will, which it has in some cases, they cry complete foul over it. Hypocrisy abounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The majority of the objectors to the Nero outlet are in the same trade, by their own admission. I won't hold trying to protect their business against them, but the planning designations are not so specific as to allow refusal on the basis of a specific use as a coffee shop over any other type of eatery so they are wasting their time in my opinion.

They are seeking an anal planning system to protect them, yet if the same planning system stood in their way of developing their own places at will, which it has in some cases, they cry complete foul over it. Hypocrisy abounds.

Welcome to Dalkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Chinasea wrote: »
    Not quite, more like we don't want an English shop...same ugly sentiment, as ugly even as his very unkempt front garden.

Leo McCabe, isn't that select stores?

Prices they charge, I'm not surprised they don't want competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't mind people trying to protect their businesses from competition, but some of the objections are a bit weak to say the least. Development can only be refused on valid planning grounds, so that's the type of argument that should be put forward. Some of the objections are a bit twee to be grounds for refusal.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't fully agree with you. local business that have vested interest in the community and are owner ran should be encouraged and protected. large MNC can do operate at a loss in many places to eradicate the local competition.

there are tax incentives to encourage people to live above their establishments so as to promote indegenious domestic business.
    I don't drink coffee, so i really don't care much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd love to hear the objections if Supermacs ever tried to open in Dalkey!

Back in the 'good times' the folk over in Portmarnock successfully objected to a proposed Aldi store on pseudo-planning grounds though it was snobbery through and through - I bet they're all driving to Lidl in Baldoyle these days for the cheap bog rolls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I dont know the full story but it seems dalkey residents cant accept the fact that they are a suburb of dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

FX Buckley are opening a butchers beside SuperValu in Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

frash wrote: »
    FX Buckley are opening a butchers beside SuperValu in Deansgrange.

Excellent. Are they going into the old pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

from Facebook:

Grapevine Wine bar/Shop opening tonight Patrick St. Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Excellent. Are they going into the old pharmacy?

Yeah been work going on there for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Heard rumours of a craft shop going into the old playwright site... Anyone know anything concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Heard rumours of a craft shop going into the old playwright site... Anyone know anything concrete?

Was talking to a local yesterday and he says there is a lot of work going on there at the minute but no indication why.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A grand site for another block of flats...

Advertisement